Tell me About Via Napoli

DisneyTravelers2008

Sally & Clay (Disney Travelers 2008)
I would usually not go to an Italian place at Epcot because I can get good Italian food at home. But, I hear lots of good things about Via Napoli.

Is it authentic Italian food?
Tell me about pizzas AND other entree options, as well.

We like the pizza at Via Napoli. We usually share a pizza and a salad there. I think my DH had italian food there once, but I always get pizza.

We love the pizza there- and we make it a must do each trip. I am a northern transplant living in the South, so I am kind of a pizza snob and there just aren't many (any really) good pizza places anywhere around where I live, so I jump at the opportunity when on vacation.

I would usually not go to an Italian place at Epcot because I can get good Italian food at home. But, I hear lots of good things about Via Napoli.

Is it authentic Italian food?
Tell me about pizzas AND other entree options, as well.

The food is ok. The pIzza is good. I would not consider it authentic. For that I would go to Il Mulino at the Swan, close to EPCOT, but much better.

It's pretty good. Pizza and pasta come from two different kitchens, though (at least at visits in 2011, 2012, 2014, and 2016), so sometimes the timing for the various entrees isn't ideal. I was almost done with my pasta when DWs pizza arrived. (I was waiting for her food before starting, but then we decided to split each so that the pasta didn't get cold).

More important- the Amarena Cherry dessert is fantastic!

All that being said, we are not returning to Via Napoli this trip. The service wasn't as great on our last visit, so we're giving some new places a chance.

You'll find tons of reviews of VN doing an onsite and yelp search to compare but I'll give you my impressions.

We've had the individual pizzas but not the large pie or mezza. The individual pie will give you an easy 4 slices that are a little smaller than the bigger pies. The pizza is a bit of a cross between a true Neapolitan pie and NY style. Quality ingredients and no Parmesan cheese dust stuff in a green can to be found. I tend towards the Margrherita whenever trying a slice for the first time just to get my bearings. Not a fan of pepperoni which is what one of the kids ordered. I will note that the pepperoni dinna look anything like the presliced supermarket variety which is a good thing.

We've tend to order a variety of appetizers to go with the pie and give the meal some balance. I'm partial to the fritto misto since it gives a little bit of "everything" and a green salad. Eat a late lunch there and it's the equivalent to an early dinner for us.

Two members of our party have had the lasagna, and the veal meatballs and spaghetti, and found them quite enjoyable. The meatballs were nice and tender, possible made with a panade and the sauce was obviously made on site. The lasagna was credible as well although I prefer Bolognese antica to the Neapolitan version although the differences are slight. All of the sauces we hade from the marina dipping sauce to the ragu bore no relationship to what you find in a jar at the supermarket. Much more vibrant tomato taste, lighter in consistency and fresh tasting without too much if any sugar.

The brutti sundae makes a nice share if you've room for it. Chocolate(?), vanilla ice cream, a meringue type cookie (think it's meringue) and imported cherry preserves=yummmmm!

I can and (have) ordered a Campari and soda and have no need to direct them on proportions. They also don't freak out when I say I want a citrus wedge instead of a slice, LOL.

The service is mostly hit and miss. Never had anyone forget an order or make anyone wait over long for a course (except the welcome desk which deserves a special circle of Dante's Inferno; lamest excuses I've ever heard why our table isn't ready) .....it's just seems they hire a lot of college students straight off the plane. Missteps tend to be niggling things like forgetting to put the proper utensils on the table, neglecting to bring seasonings for the pizza, oh right and staff members huddling in the corner discussing management or a bad tip. I make a point of making an ADR for this restaurant in the middle of our trip since I have no time for anyone else's pain when I first get outta NYC...oops.

I can get good Italian food at home too but Via Napoli has become a family tradition for us. The kids clamour for it and it's certainly not the heaviest cross I've had to bear from a culinary POV. Wouldn't have a problem going w/o the kiddos either.

We have done VN three times and have had mixed reviews.

1st time: DH and I both had the pizza. Service was good and the pizza was great.

2nd time: DH and I both had the pizza. Service was terrible and the pizza was great.

3rd time: Last June. DH and I had the pizza and DD had the spaghetti. The spaghetti came so early for DD, she was finished with it way before our pizza came. DD did not like the spaghetti. DH and I thought the pizza was great. The service was horrible, beyond horrible. It was not a great experience.

Overall, we really like the pizza. The service was so bad this last time that I think we will skip it this year and try sometime new. That's the good thing about EPCOT, there are so many great places to try.

"Missteps tend to be niggling things like".....

Ok since NYCgrrl said this, I'll share my VN misstep experience on our last visit there in 2016. Before I share, I will say I reported it to the manager, and she was very apologetic. The assistant waitress came to our table of 7 and asked who needed refills of Coke. She then put all of the dirty Coke cups on a tray. She went to the table next to ours, and did the same thing. Took all the Coke cups from both tables, on one tray, to the soda fountain. Refilled all the cups. Redistributed the refilled dirty cups to both tables. Perhaps she kept which cup went with which person correct. And, perhaps this happens elsewhere and behind the scenes. However, I was disgusted, and having been seated in the terrible location of next-to-the-soda-fountain and dirty dishes bin, I got to witness it all.

We have eaten there 8-10 times and have always had a great experience. If you like Neopolitan style pizza you will probably like it. If you don’t you might not like it.

Ok since NYCgrrl said this, I'll share my VN misstep experience on our last visit there in 2016. Before I share, I will say I reported it to the manager, and she was very apologetic. The assistant waitress came to our table of 7 and asked who needed refills of Coke. She then put all of the dirty Coke cups on a tray. She went to the table next to ours, and did the same thing. Took all the Coke cups from both tables, on one tray, to the soda fountain. Refilled all the cups. Redistributed the refilled dirty cups to both tables. Perhaps she kept which cup went with which person correct. And, perhaps this happens elsewhere and behind the scenes. However, I was disgusted, and having been seated in the terrible location of next-to-the-soda-fountain and dirty dishes bin, I got to witness it all.

Errrrrrrrrr that's not minor stuff....that just wrong. And stupid too. And and.. nasty, a word you will rarely read in a review I've written. The service bartender normally fills the drink orders and has tons of clean glassware at their station. Insert eek emoticon here!

Last edited:
Very very busy, service is scattered because it’s so busy but the wait staff do seem like they’re trying their best. Pizza is excellent. I was expecting to judge it harshly but it was true to form with the charred chewy neopolitan crust. Skip the overpriced and very small, small plates.

We went for the first time in February and absolutely loved it. We had the big pizza and it was amazing. One of the best pizzas I’ve ever had. Service was great also! This will for sure be a must do for our trips from now on.

As others have said, if you want American style pizza you may not like it, but if Neapolitan pizza is your thing, then yes, it's definitely worth going. We love it in my fam, kids love it, adults love it, and it is one of the few restaurants we go to almost every trip. I can't speak to other dishes, as we always get pizza, and dessert.

Has anyone had the arancini appetizer? I've had my eye on that for our trip in April. Any good?

We've only eaten there once and we had pizza. The service was horrendous and the pizza was fine, but nothing I would rave about. I've certainly had better stone fired pizza. The whole experience was so bad that I have never gone back (this was 4 years ago) but I am seriously considering giving it another try on our next trip to see if it can be somewhat redeemed for me.

I've eaten at VN several times, its our must-do restaurant every trip. Service has always been good. Food has always been stellar. We always get the individual size pizza. ITS HUUUUGE!!!!!!!!!! And honestly its really good pizza. Apparently some of the ingredients for the pizza come from italy. My fave dish thou is the candele pasta. Oh so good. :cloud9:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter