Tell me about your refrigerator

Praying Colonel

DIS Veteran
DW and I are buying a new fridge and I'm looking for reviews, both positive and negative. The one brand we won't consider is GE. Our house was an all-GE appliance house when we moved in and we've had trouble with just about every one of them, including this fridge we're replacing. Thanks!

I don’t have a brand to recommend but I will say that the style I prefer is the ones with double fridge drawers and a bottom freezer drawer because they hold a lot. Mine has a purified water dispenser inside the fridge. I like that better than the ones with the water in the door because the dispenser takes up very little usable fridge space.

I don’t have a brand to recommend but I will say that the style I prefer is the ones with double fridge drawers and a bottom freezer drawer because they hold a lot. Mine has a purified water dispenser inside the fridge. I like that better than the ones with the water in the door because the dispenser takes up very little usable fridge space.

Yes, the french door model is the type we're most interested in. We currently have a side by side and the freezer doesn't seem to hold a lot.

My parents have a Kitchenaid that's been great for 22 years now and still going strong. It's a side by side, and pretty much the only fridge they could find at the time that would fit in the space (the island is weirdly close).

My new house has a Maytag, but I haven't lived with it long enough to judge it yet and I have no idea how old it is.

I have a French door LG, I love it except that it keeps breaking. It first stopped working right after 5 years, spent $800 to fix it, now the fridge part is barely working and the freezer is shot. It’s $2000 to replace, it’s one of two fridges that fit in the space, we are planning a complete kitchen remodel when this pandemic is over, so we are using the freezer in the smaller basement fridge plus I bought a small upright freezer. The fridge is about 10 years old. My appliance repairman won’t touch it.

We're replacing our GE fridge with a Samsung French door model (bought through Costco). Our GE fridge keeps leaking water into the deli tray. :headache:

We have a LG side by side with water and ice maker in the door. It is a nickle finish instead of stainless steel because I didn't want to deal with finger prints. We have had it for about 16 or 17 years and the only problems we have had was the water line busted a couple of times. It was an easy fix for hubby to get new couplers to splice in, it's on the outside of the back of the fridge so I did have some good times cleaning up.

We have a Samsung French Door with the ice maker in the freezer...which we never hooked up. Have had it for a couple years now and not a problem with it so far. I am actually amazed how much I can fit in the freezer. Our three young adult kids are back home during this virus and I have been stocking up. Every time I think I can’t fit anymore, it sometimes fits. Definitely recommend.

We have samsung(love it) now, but we had french door whirlpool. It was great casuse with ice machine and french doors was a great fit at 30" and only one I think at that time with water on door as well. It was absolutly a train wreck. They had to fix both ice machine and door. Got to admit they did both out of after waranty, they replaced the ice machine because they refused to tell me instructions how to remove the freezer door.
The door broke in such a way it was sharp and they sent me a new door. Both these happened within 1 to 3 years. About a year later the comprssor went I believe. I just gave up.

We bought a new fridge last year. It is a side-by-side. We hate it! The water option is horrible. The ice is behind the water. So when we get ice first we accidentally hit the water level and water goes everywhere. Then the water drains right to the edge of the drip tray. After you take your glass away there are some dribbles which just go down the front of the fridge. Ours is a Kenmore but many brands are the same setup. We hate it so much we are trying to justify ditching a fridge that is less than a year old for a new one.

It's a single door model with the drawer freezer on the bottom and we like it. Far cheaper than the french door model and we didn't want a side by side. Got to go. Someone said my fridge is running and I have to chase after it.

We've had a Kenmore french door with bottom freezer since 2003 that has had no problems even though it's been in a garage since 2008. I don't know how good the current Kenmores are though.

We've had a Kenmore french door with bottom freezer since 2003 that has had no problems even though it's been in a garage since 2008. I don't know how good the current Kenmores are though.

This is the thing I struggle with. If it's a fridge that's lasted a long time, well maybe they're not making them that way like they used to. If it's a new fridge and the reviews are good...well, maybe it's because it's not old enough to have had problems yet. A lot of this is taking it on faith, which I don't like to do with a big-money purchase.

Whatever you do don't by a Frigidaire Gallery. We had one for about 3 years until I couldn't take it anymore. You don't realize how loud an appliance is until you replace it. Frigidaire told us compressors were supposed to make noise and it was normal so wouldn't do anything about it.

Replaced it last year with an LG french door. No problems so far.

I just bought LG for around $1900. I like that the ice maker is a slim version that does not take space away inside the left side of fridge. It is top rated. My current fridge is over 30 years old and runs great. New kitchen renovation coming soon.

I’m a renter so my fridge is pretty basic.

If I’m ever in a position to buy my own fridge, it will have French doors, a bottom freezer and, the height of luxury in my eyes, a water and ice dispenser lol

I have a builder installed GE Profile side by side. Of all the things I can complain about with this house, the GE appliances are not one of them. 5 years in.

The next neighborhood over put in Samsung appliances and I see quite a few complaints on NextDoor. Additionally when out clubhouse replaced appliances they went with Samsung. The fridge needed work about a month in. My parents have a Samsung and dont like all the trouble to replace the water filter (you have to shut off the water and its in a strange spot), although this is their first water filtration refrigerator so it might just be they arent used to it. If you are going to go with Samsung, I would really read reviews on the specific model you want.

Before we moved here we had a french door Maytag which I LOVED. It was the model where you could move a couple of the shelves up and down even when loaded.

Kenmore-had it for 18 years.A few things have needed to be fixed,but with Youtube,it was easy.For our next fridge,I want to go wide and shallow.This one is side by side,and I can't believe how much you lose in the back.

Whatever you do don't by a Frigidaire Gallery. We had one for about 3 years until I couldn't take it anymore. You don't realize how loud an appliance is until you replace it. Frigidaire told us compressors were supposed to make noise and it was normal so wouldn't do anything about it.

Replaced it last year with an LG french door. No problems so far.
Agreed - we had one and the problem was the rust - never seen anything like it. The freezer door started to rust just below the ice dispenser and it took off from there. We are SUPER careful to keep the door dry on the new fridge and have had no problems (GE oddly enough).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts