Tell me it's going to be ok...college UPDATE pg 3******

We just dropped DS for his freshman year. The school had four full days of orientation activities planned for the freshman. Some of them were dorm specific, and some were even floor specific. His entire floor was his orientation group. The philosophy was that the kids needed to get to know who they would be living with before branching out and meeting people in their majors or other clubs. While we had parent orientation sessions, we often saw the floor groups walking around campus, following their leader's signs and chanting together. He moved in on Tuesday and when we visited him at the dorm on Friday, he was greeting everyone up and down the hallway and in the elevator as we were going up. However, my DS is a total extrovert and I had no concerns about him making friends and getting involved.

It's a lot more difficult for an introvert to just put themselves out there, but I think your DD will need to make some effort. Rather than sitting in her room watching TV, is there a dorm lounge she could hang out in? That would be a good way to meet other residents, some who may also be looking to make friends. I also thinks it's a good idea email the RA and ask her to help your DD get integrated. Perhaps the RA could invite a few girls to go to the dining hall with her now and then. When classes start, your DD will meet an even wider variety of people. I think she'll do fine!

I know she has things planned today and tomorrow that are school sponsored. I just don't know what they are. I do know she had a meeting today with her peer mentor. Hopefully that went well. She lives in a suite but there is no common lounge on their floor. She has a freshman seminar once a week with other girls from her dorm, so hoping that will help as well. I do think they are keeping them busy the next few days so they don't have time to sit and think too much. She is only a few hours away from us and said she would be home probably week after next for the weekend. I am excited to see her but I also want her to stay there and meet people. Do I force the issue and encourage her to stay or keep my mouth closed?

I get it. I went to college younger than everyone and couldn't get into the 18+ bars until I got a fake id. I was super lonely until I get involved (politics for me). Being younger is not cool in college, but once I found my people, I loved college! I bet your daughter can do the same. She WILL find a group of friends and it WILL be ok:)

Hang in there! I am an introvert, and when I went to college I knew no one, had never been away from home, and had gone to school with most of the same very small group of kids from kindergarten through 12th grade. It was tough, but my roommate was outgoing and took me under her wing, and I managed to meet people and have fun. There was still a lot of crying and homesickness along the way for me those first few months, but phone calls home helped. I did transfer to another college after that year, but still keep in touch with some of the people I met freshman year, 20+ years later (just got together with one of them from out of state, this summer in fact). When I transferred, I had to go through the same "new person" process all over again, this time at a much larger school, but it was actually easier to meet people because a) I'd been through it before, and b) even though it was a huge college, there were more opportunities for different groups, and all the dorms were broken up by halls/floors with lots of activities there to get together and hang out with people on your floor. I actually met my now DH only a few weeks into college there at a dorm/floor get together to go to a football game. Tell your DD to just try lots of things and eventually she will find her "people". Sometimes it takes trying lots of different groups before you find the one you fit with. Also, with everyone on their smart phones all the time nowadays, I think it's much easier to not feel "alone" in a group even if you aren't finding people to talk to...at least you can surf on your phone as a last resort rather than standing there awkwardly with no one to talk to, like I used to have to do lol. (not recommending she hide on her phone all the time of course, just if all else fails!)

I have to tell you, I was super shy when I went to college. I was also the only girl in my family and didn't get a lot of girl things.

I almost cried when my mom left me at school. Those 1st few days were a little tough but once classes and activities started I was fine.

We take our only this Friday. She isn't shy but is quirky. She an have difficulty making friends so I'm a little worried. She's a little worried as well.

My advice to my daughter is to make an effort to try new things. Do something once and if she doesn't like it doesn't have to try again.

Only time will tell. Good luck to your daughter. Remember, it's always harder on mom than on them.

I know she has things planned today and tomorrow that are school sponsored. I just don't know what they are. I do know she had a meeting today with her peer mentor. Hopefully that went well. She lives in a suite but there is no common lounge on their floor. She has a freshman seminar once a week with other girls from her dorm, so hoping that will help as well. I do think they are keeping them busy the next few days so they don't have time to sit and think too much. She is only a few hours away from us and said she would be home probably week after next for the weekend. I am excited to see her but I also want her to stay there and meet people. Do I force the issue and encourage her to stay or keep my mouth closed?

I would encourage her to stay on campus for a month before she comes home. Kids who come home too frequently often don't learn to get connected on campus. My oldest daughter had a built in group of peers at college because she was a cheerleader. She is not especially extroverted, however, and if she had not cheered, I think she would have tried to come home pretty often and would not have enjoyed her college years as much. I am definitely an introvert (more so than my daughter) and I had just a handful of close friends in college who were my roommates and hall mates from my dorm. We are still in touch 30 years later. I didn't have a car or a way to go home from college on the weekends so I did end up making friends on campus. I remember feeling very awkward asking my roommates (I had 2) to go to dinner our first night in our dorm our freshman year but I did it, they went, and one of those roommates is still my friend to this day.

Hang in there, Momma! Things will work out!

The first few days are critical. I remember I moved in and kept my door open and met as many other girls on the floor as I could. I remember we went to a dance club together one of those first nights. I would encourage her to stop by people's rooms and introduce herself. And yes, try to stay there the first few weekends. She might end up bonding with the other few kids that stay. Good luck!!

I would force her stay for at least one full month. Back to my same son--we are only 2 hours away from his school so very easy for him to come home. I don't think we "let" him come home until October. After that, he did come home more than I would have liked (probably one weekend a month). But, his dorm building was also one that had some of the smallest rooms I've ever seen and his roommate had a full-time girlfriend that was always spending the night. If you know anything about introverts, they need some downtime. I don't think my son was homesick per se, but he needed to come home and be somewhere quiet, just a little bit. So after he made it through the month and I was sure that he had at least made *some* connections, I just let him. It was okay, it was was he needed. Once he got out of the crazy dorm life and got his apartment the following year, he never came home much again. In his apartment he had is own room and bathroom and it made all the difference. This will be an adjustment. I know everyone has pushed for your daughter to "join groups" and I sure hope she does. But we all know that "joining groups" goes against everything an introvert wants to do. That's why, upthread, my son was reading your post and URGING her to force herself. He did not force himself and he says he really should have. The business fraternity he joined has been fantastic for him. Oh, he also said to tell you that he hated parties (even in high school) so he didn't really go to them much, but he really, really likes them now for some reason. Actually loves them. He said he's just way more comfortable with himself, socially, and that's the difference and he chalks it up to this business fraternity.

My two are going into their sophomore year. We've been talking about what a different feeling it is now, as opposed to last year at this time. They're so much more confident - already knowing people, their routines, classmates, professors, etc. They agree it's totally different. Such a relief!

Both of mine are kind of quiet and shy, too. DD joined a group related to her major before school started last year. They had a kick off party and she was debating not going. I told her to go, and to try to be confident, make eye contact, smile, be open, and try to talk to people, etc. To her credit, even though it was hard for her, she did. When she came home that day she told me a couple of girls had come up to her and asked if they could sit with her. So they were shy and kind of worried, too, but gravitated toward DD because she seemed confident (!) and more importantly, open. They turned out to all become good friends. As a matter of fact, she just had some of them over the other night and it was so nice, no worries about school, just talking and laughing about other things.

DS plays a college sport so he became part of a pretty tight group right away, but, as a freshman, was still sort of on the outskirts of that group at the same time. It was really nice over the course of the year watching how he found his place in the group. They had a lot of team building activities, and, later, four different road trips where they had to room together in various groups. He also lived out of state most of the summer, in a dorm with different roommates, in another team atmosphere, so he grew a lot that way this year. He's looking forward to starting all over again in a couple of weeks, this time with a different mindset.

I think those girls should've asked your daughter if she wanted to come with them, especially where everyone's so new. But my guess is that they were wrapped up in their own sense of settling in and it probably just didn't occur to them to ask her. Ugh. I agree with others, she will most likely meet people over the course of the coming year. But I'd feel the way you're feeling, too. I'll be the bad guy to say that sometimes it doesn't work, isn't a good fit, etc. A few years back the daughter of one of my friends changed schools because she said she never really felt like she fit in at the first school she went to; not the case at the second school, thankfully. But the only way you'll know is to see how the year goes. I agree to keep encouraging her. It is difficult, though, for people who are shy or introverted. (Sometimes it can even pass that and move into social anxiety disorder.) Just hang in there, see how it goes and how she does, and hopefully you'll be hearing soon, especially once classes actually start, that she's made some friends.

I met my very best friend the first day in the dining hall. She was sitting alone, and I was alone and asked if I could sit with her (the secret of not being "that girl" is to realize that the other people are probably also "that girl" too). After lunch we actually made plans to get dinner together too, and that was all it took.

The first few days are critical. I remember I moved in and kept my door open and met as many other girls on the floor as I could. I remember we went to a dance club together one of those first nights. I would encourage her to stop by people's rooms and introduce herself. And yes, try to stay there the first few weekends. She might end up bonding with the other few kids that stay. Good luck!!

Good idea keeping the door open. I'd leave both her bedroom and the suite door propped open, if there are many suites off a common hall. It's kind of an unspoken signal for people walking by to stop in and say hi, especially in the first week or so. Is she in an all-freshman dorm? If so, it's generally easier to connect with other residents since they're all in the same boat.

She should definitely try to join at least one club that interests her. What kind of activities did she do in high school? Continuing with something familiar is a great way to meet like-minded people. So if she played an instrument or sang in HS, how about joining the band, orchestra or choral group? Or theater or dance, or a community service organization, or an intramural or club sport, or a religious organization. If she likes to work out, she can meet others at the fitness center or pool. You get the idea. She also might enjoy trying something totally outside her comfort zone; college is a perfect opportunity to explore new things.

Good luck. I'm sure she will be fine. You have to consider that college is perhaps the one time in your life where you are living in a community with so many peers in your age group. Sometimes it takes a bit of time to find your circle of friends. She's only been there one day.

Also, with everyone on their smart phones all the time nowadays, I think it's much easier to not feel "alone" in a group even if you aren't finding people to talk to...at least you can surf on your phone as a last resort rather than standing there awkwardly with no one to talk to, like I used to have to do lol. (not recommending she hide on her phone all the time of course, just if all else fails!)
I'm glad you brought that up. I hear what you are saying, that it's a "go to" if need be.

When my DD talked to me about her anxieties about meeting new people at school, I actually suggested she put her phone away, as I think a head in a phone sends the message that you are "closed off" to people. I think this is something that this generation really needs to think about in terms of meeting people (and other things as well, like work situations). I know it's challenging, though, but put the phone away sometimes!

I'm glad you brought that up. I hear what you are saying, that it's a "go to" if need be.

When my DD talked to me about her anxieties about meeting new people at school, I actually suggested she put her phone away, as I think a head in a phone sends the message that you are "closed off" to people. I think this is something that this generation really needs to think about in terms of meeting people (and other things as well, like work situations). I know it's challenging, though, but put the phone away sometimes!

Oh I totally agree with you, that's why I mentioned it as a last resort! Unlike me, my DS is very extroverted, and often gets upset with how hard it was to meet people in high school, because they always had their heads down in their phones, even during sporting events or school sponsored activities. I just know that for me, if we'd had smart phones, just knowing it was there would have helped as almost a security blanket lol, even if I wouldn't have used it. I actually consider myself a friendly person, I smile at people, say hi, try to make small talk where it's appropriate. I don't want to be the person with my head down in my phone either, and I don't think I am. But every now and then I get in a situation where I feel awkward and uncomfortable when I'm in a group (usually waiting for my kids), and people aren't receptive to me talking to them but they are talking to everyone else, and for those moments having a phone (or a book) reduces my social anxiety

We dropped ds off last week who is introverted.

He realized college is a chance to 'remake himself'. He's in a place where vurtually no one knows him unlike high school where everyone knew him.

Even at orientation he was introducing himself to others and putting in the effort to be more outgoing.

Classes for ds start tomorrow. In my five minute catch up conversation today, he said that he's been going to the meet and greets and orientations this week and meeting people. Not easy for an introvert, but will make the transition easier.

He's also signed up for clubs and is going to church tonight. They have a meal for students and it's a chance to meet other students of our faith.

Good idea keeping the door open. I'd leave both her bedroom and the suite door propped open, if there are many suites off a common hall. It's kind of an unspoken signal for people walking by to stop in and say hi, especially in the first week or so. Is she in an all-freshman dorm? If so, it's generally easier to connect with other residents since they're all in the same boat.

She should definitely try to join at least one club that interests her. What kind of activities did she do in high school? Continuing with something familiar is a great way to meet like-minded people. So if she played an instrument or sang in HS, how about joining the band, orchestra or choral group? Or theater or dance, or a community service organization, or an intramural or club sport, or a religious organization. If she likes to work out, she can meet others at the fitness center or pool. You get the idea. She also might enjoy trying something totally outside her comfort zone; college is a perfect opportunity to explore new things.

Good luck. I'm sure she will be fine. You have to consider that college is perhaps the one time in your life where you are living in a community with so many peers in your age group. Sometimes it takes a bit of time to find your circle of friends. She's only been there one day.[/

She is in a freshman dorm. I was a little surprised yesterday when we moved in that there were a suite of boys next door. Being that my DD is pretty shy I think this made her even more anxious. She swam, was in youth group and reads a ton. This just made me think, maybe there is a book club she could join. Knowing her, after today and tomorrow of all the things she has to do she will want to shut down in her room.As someone up thread mentioned it's possible that it is harder on me. Her look as we left though made me want to cry.

My iPad is messing up!! My reply is in your quote. Not sure how at happened! Lol!

Last edited:
Taking a note from Christine, when my DD came home from work, I asked her opinion on this, too.

First, when she finished reading your OP, she had tears in her eyes. She thought it was "annoying" that the girls didn't invite your DD to eat with them, "especially since it was the first day and everyone's new and supposed to be getting to know eachother". She thinks things will be better once classes start. She said that along with the group she joined, she met a lot of her friends in classes, labs specifically, probably because those were less formal. Some of them went to eat after lab, and if they saw someone from the lab or other classes that they knew, they'd invite them to join them. Some came and went, but their core group remained. They also started up some group chats that kept them in touch for back up with assignments and such, or if they needed support with something, etc.

Everyone is different but my youngest DS ate lunch alone a lot in HS.(He didn't go to college but joined the Air Force instead). Now he's married with a daughter but it took some time. Like I said everyone is different and those years after high school can be real tough especially on the mamas and daddies. So here's a big :hug: for you, Sebeking. :goodvibes

Oh gosh-my DD is an introvert too. Basically everything @Christine 's son said. My DD was freshman last year and got into the Honors dorm-Freshman only (except RA's) so that helped. She forced herself to go to all the orientation things-with her roommate or other kids on the hall, she also joined multiple clubs. She is NOT a sorority person (her dad was big Fraternity guy LOL), but she likes the academic type clubs. There is also a club that was for the ones "seeking their place" type thing-we are not at all religious so this suited her (going to school in heart of bible country there were lots of church groups-and she did attend some of their activities as well and met some friends there).
If you know anything about introverts, they need some downtime
THIS is very hard for extroverts to understand. My DH and middle daughter are life of party type people all the time. My oldest, my son and myself can be very happy with Netflix/book/computer and no people on occasion!

They also started up some group chats that kept them in touch for back up with assignments and such, or if they needed support with something, etc.
OMG my kids phones-BUT they use the tech for these purposes and I don't think we adults give them enough credit. Just read a great article today about a mother's lament that her kid had her "head in phone all the time" even though she tried to limit it. Turns out-when the dtr had an illness that took her out of circulation for awhile-the dtr's snapchat "community" stepped up and dropped by daily, with food often, to cheer her up.

Hang in there OP-can be rough but she will eventually find her place. OTOH if she is seriously unhappy after a semester and really wanting to change-listen to that too. My DD is now doing an internship at Disney this fall (no easy weekend home if she gets homesick for 5 months!)-she twisted her ankle at end of shift on her very first on the job training day. She has handled getting herself to doctor, dealing with brand new work situation (light duty until healed) while roommates are settling into their roles, and coping with being forced to go slower while roommates (who have been great so far) are off exploring Disney while she can't (they have offered to push a wheelchair for her so she could go with but DD declined at this time). You will be surprised at how much the first year of college can mature and give confidence to your DD!!

Taking a note from Christine, when my DD came home from work, I asked her opinion on this, too.

First, when she finished reading your OP, she had tears in her eyes. She thought it was "annoying" that the girls didn't invite your DD to eat with them, "especially since it was the first day and everyone's new and supposed to be getting to know eachother". She thinks things will be better once classes start. She said that along with the group she joined, she met a lot of her friends in classes, labs specifically, probably because those were less formal. Some of them went to eat after lab, and if they saw someone from the lab or other classes that they knew, they'd invite them to join them. Some came and went, but their core group remained. They also started up some group chats that kept them in touch for back up with assignments and such, or if they needed support with something, etc.

I was a little disappointed as well that they did not ask. One girl went with her parents to dinner but the other two left and did not ask. I got the feeling that the other two girls already became fast friends. When we got there they had already laid claim on the bathroom they were going to share.

I was a little disappointed as well that they did not ask. One girl went with her parents to dinner but the other two left and did not ask. I got the feeling that the other two girls already became fast friends. When we got there they had already laid claim on the bathroom they were going to share.

Well, yeah, not much can be done about that. Also, something to keep in mind, and I've dealt with this all my life (seems to be a girl thing rather than I guy thing). A lot of people, especially extroverts, are really disconcerted by introverts and shy people. Why we feel and see as shy and insecure and scared is often interpreted by others as aloof, disinterested, etc. At the age of these girls, it's really hard for the more outgoing ones to get that. Occasionally you will find that gem of a social person who knows how to bring that type of person under their wing. I do like to give some people the benefit of the doubt that they aren't being mean or exclusionary--sometimes they are really just perplexed by introverts and feel uncomfortable with them. Now it took me a LONG time to figure that out.

I just wanted to offer you a hug, mom to mom. We dropped our oldest daughter off at college yesterday. It was not easy! I'm going through a lot of inner turmoil and I'm weepy at the drop of a hat! My daughter is very introverted too, but unfortunately can be easily pressured into things in the hopes of "fitting in." I'm a bundle of nerves.
This is a tough stage of life, isn't it? I'd go back to infants/toddlers in a heartbeat!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter