Tell me where to shop in Alaska

ofcabbagesandkings

DIS Veteran
Hello! I know people have asked before about Alaskan souvenirs, but I'm hoping for specific suggestions about which shops to go to in each port. I would really like to support local, small businesses and First Nations artists. We will probably only have time to really poke around the shops in Ketchikan but I would love to hear if there are places in the other towns that shouldn't be missed! I'm hoping to find:

Ulu knives (especially if there is a shop that will ship them to an address in the lower 48)
Glacial Silt Soap/skincare products for my mom
Anything chocolate for my babysitter
Native jewelry for my best friend
Carved wood toys/puzzles for kids and their best friends
Salmon spices/rubs, honey, jams for foodie DH

TIA!

As far as knives go, I recommend this shop in Juneau:

https://www.alaskaknifeworks.com/

My husband and son both have an extensive knife collection and they are extremely selective. They were pretty impressed with this place when we were there in 2017. I purchased an ulu there and I absolutely love it. I use it all the time. It's especially handy for mincing garlic and fresh herbs.

It's been quite a few years since we shopped in Ketchikan. The last time we were there, our excursion took up almost the entire time in port. So I don't remember specific names, but there were a few really nice shops to be found amid the cluster of tourist junk.

Ketchikan at the Crazy Wolf Studio (633 Mission St.) is a very tiny shop with all local artists on display and for sale. The 2 ladies that own the shop also have classes (in the cold off season) for young artists to learn from the old artists. Packed full of carvings, art work, etc. I dropped good of money for several outstanding animal carvings by Alaskan natives.
Many shops offer shipping (especially for the Ulus because they are confiscated by the ship and returned at the end of the cruise). Ask before you start shopping.

It seemed like all three ports had mostly the same variety of shops. We liked Ketchikan the best and Skagway the least I think. You can probably find everything you are looking for at each port. I think we did most of our shopping in Ketchikan.

We've been twice and each time got a really cute christmas ornament at a little shop right on the pier in Ketchikan.

I bought two t-shirts created by local artists in Ketchikan. I cannot remember the name of the store, but it was a little shop inside of a bigger shop area right near the port. We always get a magnet or two when we travel and the big shop right in port had a nice selection.

I'm hoping for specific suggestions about which shops to go to in each port. I would really like to support local, small businesses and First Nations artists.
Great question and I hope that more people do this too. Easiest thing to do is in each port simply walk past the big name shops like you find in the Caribbean and go a street back to the smaller no-name shops on the back/side streets.

Hello! I know people have asked before about Alaskan souvenirs, but I'm hoping for specific suggestions about which shops to go to in each port. I would really like to support local, small businesses and First Nations artists. We will probably only have time to really poke around the shops in Ketchikan but I would love to hear if there are places in the other towns that shouldn't be missed! I'm hoping to find:

Ulu knives (especially if there is a shop that will ship them to an address in the lower 48)
Glacial Silt Soap/skincare products for my mom
Anything chocolate for my babysitter
Native jewelry for my best friend
Carved wood toys/puzzles for kids and their best friends
Salmon spices/rubs, honey, jams for foodie DH

TIA!
Thanks so much for posting this @ofcabbagesandkings because I'd love to support local business as well!

Creek Street in Ketchikan seemed to have a lot of local shops - crafts and such. I bought my hand carved bear in a little store back in that area.

I bought a sterling silver necklace pendant last year on our trip that was a momma and baby bear from Thomas Cahill Designs. I bought it for my mom and surprised her with it on our trip. It is a great reminder of a fantastic trip we had together.

I actually bought it online and picked it up on our tour we did with Beyond Skagway.

When I was trying to remember the name of the jewelry place, I found this information which I believe is pretty much exactly what you are looking for—at least where Skagway is concerned.

https://madeinskagway.org/shopping-map/

My favorite shop in the Alaska cruise cities is Caribou Crossings in Juneau. Lots of beautiful gifts and art items. Everything in the shop is either made in Alaska by Alaskan craftsman, or by First Nations people of Canada. They are right next-door to a Russian store, which also might be interesting since DCL does not visit Sitka.

P.S. Mention Captain Alan (he's the owner's husband) and they will give you a free whale magnet.

We bought our glacier silt soap at Glacier Smoothie Soaps in Juneau. It was very close to the cruise terminal, and we had so much fun smelling all the different soaps and picking which ones to take home.

If you somehow end up in Anchorage (unlikely with Disney cruises being roundtrip), the Anchorage Market is a great farmers market and gathering of local vendors.

My favorite shop in the Alaska cruise cities is Caribou Crossings in Juneau. Lots of beautiful gifts and art items. Everything in the shop is either made in Alaska by Alaskan craftsman, or by First Nations people of Canada. They are right next-door to a Russian store, which also might be interesting since DCL does not visit Sitka.

P.S. Mention Captain Alan (he's the owner's husband) and they will give you a free whale magnet.

I loved this store! And the Russian shop was a blast!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter