Tent camping and flying in?

I remember a few mornings it being very chilly. We are headed back here in a few weeks and bringing tents this time. We are prepared with electric blankets and heaters but still worried about getting cold at night. Last January was abnormally cold and worried we will have the same low temps as last trip. Days were great, just the nights were chilly.

Nights can definitely be chilly in Jan/Feb. We don't take sleeping bags, just ThermoAir 'camping quilts'. Generally we've been comfortable (but we're also pretty hardy. We keep the house much colder than most folks would.) We did pick up a cheap electric heater at a yard sale this year, which we'll be bringing along just in case we have one of those abnormally cold nights like you've mentioned.

I'd say you'd have to answer your question yourself, especially if you're familiar with the possible temps. It all depends on your tolerance for cold, how warm your bedding is, etc.

One other important thing- but many of you know this from experience- if you don't have a car or secure lockable space, you need to get one. The critters will be at your food in no time, as we've found out. Nothing like a raccoon raid in the middle of the night to shake things up a bit.

We flew in and camped in March. One check-in bag was the tent, one was the air mattress, one was filled with blankets & pillows, one with clothes and other supplies. We flew 1st class (with $ saved from camping-not necessary- I just prefer the front of the plane;)

One tip: collect your bags at the airport: don't wait for ME to drop them off. In fact, I suggest renting a car if camping at Ft. Wilderness if you're able.

This is so cool to read - I thought we were the only people packing a tent in our luggage! We fly Southwest from Minneapolis to MCO, and bring our big hiking packs. Tie all the straps or fasten them down with duct tape and they've gotten thru security just fine. We love bringing our tent to Fort Wilderness - SO much cheaper than any other resort, so we can splurge on other things. We've been in October, November, and January and loved the weather every time (as longs as it's not snowing like it is back home, we consider it a step up!) We pack lots of granola bars, applesauce packets, protein bars and trail mix and usually eat that as we head off to the parks in the AM.

Each time we've checked in, the Cast Members always seemed so shocked when we tell them our tent is in our hiking pack! They must not see it often? And then someone friendly always drives us to our campsite!

Bumping this 5 year old thread because I'm attempting to do this in July with two of my kids (almost 19 & will have just turned 21) to celebrate their birthdays/graduation. Flying SW so have the flexibility of the extra bags BUT don't necessarily want to bring a bunch of extra bags. To complicate matters further, we are doing a split stay. Arrive late Tuesday night at Pop Century and checking out on Friday. Driving down to Turtle Beach to camp Friday-Sunday night and returning Monday to Beach Club, Yacht Club or Boardwalk, still TBD. I'm thinking we can skip the sleeping bags since it's July, but need some kind of padding and light blankets. Our tent is a big heavy 8+ person tent so I think I'll get a lightweight 4 person tent. Ideally, we'd be able to get all the camping supplies into 2 bags at the most. This thread has lots of good tips! Anymore anyone can think of would be great!

Bumping this 5 year old thread because I'm attempting to do this in July with two of my kids (almost 19 & will have just turned 21) to celebrate their birthdays/graduation. Flying SW so have the flexibility of the extra bags BUT don't necessarily want to bring a bunch of extra bags. To complicate matters further, we are doing a split stay. Arrive late Tuesday night at Pop Century and checking out on Friday. Driving down to Turtle Beach to camp Friday-Sunday night and returning Monday to Beach Club, Yacht Club or Boardwalk, still TBD. I'm thinking we can skip the sleeping bags since it's July, but need some kind of padding and light blankets. Our tent is a big heavy 8+ person tent so I think I'll get a lightweight 4 person tent. Ideally, we'd be able to get all the camping supplies into 2 bags at the most. This thread has lots of good tips! Anymore anyone can think of would be great!

Oh boy - restricting yourselves to 2 bags will surely be interesting.

We are planning it for this Christmas (and yes this thread was super helpful!) but have 5 of us and will fly Southwest so planning on 10 bags. I also want to bring cooking supplies and food, which makes things more complicated. Still thinking of packing up the mini fridge and bringing that instead of the cooler haha!

Was tempted to split stay but with all our stuff, it's just not practical.

I think it can be done in two. Guess time will tell! Of course we’ll each have our own bag for clothing/toiletries. PC rooms don’t look very big but I suppose if we had to check 6 bags total, it wouldn’t be that big of a deal. Just a goal I’ve got in mind! :)

I have done it a couple times with just one checked bag and a carry on. The hardest part is repacking a damp sandy tent early in the morning. As it goes in the bottom of the duffle bag, You have to pile everything on the table to repack.
I did it one year without even renting a car, I don't recomend that as you have to call the Outpost to come get you at the campsite to get to Magical express, Also you may find yourself sitting at an empty campsite waithing for your bag to be delivered, in my case for hours......didnt get to Epcot till 6 pm, after arriving at Noon.

As for renting tents from Disney. On my trip 4 years ago when I drove down, my brand new Walmart tent had both fiberglass poles snap and colapse on me. This was day two of an 7 night stay. After a couple hours of panic and throwing everything in the back of my Escape, I deciding to call Guest Services, and ask about tents. They told me no problem and to go enjoy my day in the park. Well when I checked out, I was not charged:tinker: for the very nice tent that had appeared, fully set up on my site while I was in the Magic Kingdom.

(1) you could rent a tent from Disney.
(2) you could rent a pop up or travel trailer from Disney.
(3) you could rent a nice sized travel trailer that would accommodate several people from outside sources. I hear they come in and set up your TT and everything. Good reviews. " google RV rental Fort Wilderness " should bring it up. If not, others members here can tell ya.

What is hot to you may not be considered hot to someone else. We vacation at the Fort in January and 50 degree temp is nice weather to us. Last year we left home at 30 degree below so we were swimming at 60!

Check weather.com and it will give you the weather answers you are looking for.

Since this topic has been raised from the dead, you CANNOT rent a pop up or travel trailer from Disney. You have to go through an outside agency. Disney does recommend two companies. It is on the Disney site.

I think you can probably get basic camping stuff and personal things in your checked bags.

I'm not sure where you are from, but even the locals don't tent camp at the Fort in July. I'm from the St Louis area where July/August are often hotter with more humidity than the Fort and I wouldn't consider tent camping. When I was a teen/20 year old I did because I didn't have anything else, but not now. If you're used to really hot/humid days and nights, have a great time. Just make sure you know what it will be like.

j

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter