Tent Camping

Mine is a Marmot Odyssey 4. It's kind of a modified dome design with some cross poles. And this is exactly where I bought it. I actually set up the thing myself. My wife frankly wouldn't be able to figure it out as she has zero mechanical inclination.

I'll usually set it up with a single queen air mattress. We don't have anything fancy -just a standard Intex. I do have an old Coleman 4D inflator. That came with a Coleman mattress, but that mattress eventually started leaking. I think most of the air mattresses come with adhesive patches too. The inflator is great up to a certain point, but eventually it reaches its limit and air is coming out as fast as its going in. That's the point when I whip out my hand pump inflator, which allows me to get it to the desired firmness. Also - it's quieter if I might have neighbors complaining about the inflator. Obviously the mattress starts shrinking when it's cold, but it's also losing air that needs to be replaced the next day.

I've heard well of the Marmot line! It always makes the short list of backpacking tents:cool:.
All our air mattresses are Coleman with the flocked tops and after trying 2 different types of air pumps we finally decided to get a Coleman battery operated model. Loud as all get out but it got the job done pretty fast. The noise also meant no late night arrivals or laid back setups;).

Believe it or not, there are a lot of wild critters still in the NE so most of the local campgrounds set up metal dumpsters to throw away trash nightly. As such I just use plastic shopping bags instead of Hefty bags or similar. This gives the children another job: down to the garbage site at the end of the road to meet all their camping buddies and plead for money to get ice cream at the concession stand en mass. Or grab raw chicken legs from the cooler and go crabbing in the marsh before the sun has completely gone down. Whatever got them through the night was fine w/ me;). Gosh I miss that kind of camping!

There was an infamous (some say legendary) bear up in the Adirondacks that managed to open one particular bear resistant canister that no other bear since has managed to open. That ended up requiring a ton of redesign and it still managed to open it. Then a hunter killed it, and that was that.

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/25/nyregion/25bear.html

All our air mattresses are Coleman with the flocked tops and after trying 2 different types of air pumps we finally decided to get a Coleman battery operated model. Loud as all get out but it got the job done pretty fast. The noise also meant no late night arrivals or laid back setups;).

Those pumps can't get past a certain firmness though. If you like it firmer, then cheap air pump can get it the rest of the way. And those battery powered pumps are great for deflating. Mine has a twist-off nozzle that I can place on the intake to turn it into a deflator.

What part of Indiana are you camping in? I grew up in southern Indiana and now live near Indianapolis, so I've got a good list of parks.

I would also add tarps. Lay your tent on top of one bc the tent gets so filthy if there is rain or mud. We also bought a storage container for the tent. No way it was going back in the bag.

We are right by Louisville.
Right now I have reservations for Starve Hollow, Hardy Lake, and Lake Rudolph. Looking to add either Patoka Lake or Brown County .

You can never have enough tarps , rope or duct tape ! Even if it’s just to give to the kids to play with ( build your own shelter is a fun game ) .
Always have a hatchet and water proof matches .

Your tent may say it’s for 12 but that doesn’t included your gear .

Never spray on sunscreen in your or around your tent . It will destroy the fabric .
Make sure nothing on the inside of the tent is touching the outside walls . As it will absorb the moisture .
The ground and your tent will be damp in the morning - from dew .
It’s a good idea to have rubber /waterproof footwear .

Do not wear any clothing item to bed if you wore it during the day . It will be damp . Damp clothing will make for an unpleasant night .

Always go to the bathroom before bed . Even if you think you don’t have too .

I've heard well of the Marmot line! It always makes the short list of backpacking tents:cool:.
The better tents for car/family camping are from the same manufacturers of backpacking tents. Typically that's the major outdoor equipment companies like The North Face, Marmot, Kelty, MSR, and Big Agnes. Eureka has different levels. Some of theirs are more in the bargain range with inexpensive fiberglass poles, but some of their higher end tents have aluminum alloy poles.

It's kind of hard to describe, but the best quality tents are actually pretty easy to spot. I mentioned the aluminum poles, which are lighter and generally stronger. An aluminum pole that's stressed too hard will bend. A fiberglass pole will splinter. Fiberglass poles also don't go well through sleeves because of the way the sections are linked. A better tent will have obviously better quality zippers and materials. I think the most important is the floor. A coated nylon or polyester floor is far better at keeping out water than a tarp style floor. I've tried out some cheap tents with tarp style floors. They claimed to be waterproof floors, but I had twigs and pine needles poking through them. Also - the top of the line tents will have specific nylon or polyester footprints available that exactly match the floors, which reduces water pooling. A separate tarp (to protect the floor) will normally be larger than the floor and that can collect water that pools when it rains.

Do not wear any clothing item to bed if you wore it during the day . It will be damp . Damp clothing will make for an unpleasant night .
I did that all the time when I went backpacking. I basically had 3 shirts and some thermal underwear. But almost everything I wore was synthetic, so it was usually dry within minutes. The only problem with synthetics for me is that once the sweat dries it leaves me feeling kind of oily. I used baby style wipes, although I think rubbing alcohol might be useful around the neck and ears.

The better tents for car/family camping are from the same manufacturers of backpacking tents. Typically that's the major outdoor equipment companies like The North Face, Marmot, Kelty, MSR, and Big Agnes. Eureka has different levels. Some of theirs are more in the bargain range with inexpensive fiberglass poles, but some of their higher end tents have aluminum alloy poles.

It's kind of hard to describe, but the best quality tents are actually pretty easy to spot. I mentioned the aluminum poles, which are lighter and generally stronger. An aluminum pole that's stressed too hard will bend. A fiberglass pole will splinter. Fiberglass poles also don't go well through sleeves because of the way the sections are linked. A better tent will have obviously better quality zippers and materials. I think the most important is the floor. A coated nylon or polyester floor is far better at keeping out water than a tarp style floor. I've tried out some cheap tents with tarp style floors. They claimed to be waterproof floors, but I had twigs and pine needles poking through them. Also - the top of the line tents will have specific nylon or polyester footprints available that exactly match the floors, which reduces water pooling. A separate tarp (to protect the floor) will normally be larger than the floor and that can collect water that pools when it rains.

My go to for backpacking is zpacks. But that’s over kill for car camping.

REI brand tents should be good enough while keeping the price down.

My go to for backpacking is zpacks. But that’s over kill for car camping.

REI brand tents should be good enough while keeping the price down.
Forgot to mention REI. I've got one of their tents. When I went backpacking I saw some people camping solo in 2/3 person tents. Mine was downright tiny compared to everyone else's. However, I remember getting into a backpacking campground where someone asked me why I didn't just sleep out without a tent. Those were a couple of buddies including one who had just a sleeping pad, sleeping bag, and mosquito net.

Forgot to mention REI. I've got one of their tents. When I went backpacking I saw some people camping solo in 2/3 person tents. Mine was downright tiny compared to everyone else's. However, I remember getting into a backpacking campground where someone asked me why I didn't just sleep out without a tent. Those were a couple of buddies including one who had just a sleeping pad, sleeping bag, and mosquito net.

I’ve cowboy camped before. It’s nice if you don’t have bad weather.

We have been camping forever, and I think we have it down, almost. Maybe. LOL Our list is good for a bigger campout, not just overnight, and I am used to packing for Cub Scout family trips, so prepared for handling 10 boys plus parents. This is just our personal stuff, not for all the kids, lol, although the kitchen gear is used for all. We can fill up the back of a pickup, haha.

Our camping list and notes for our full camp (not overnight or backpack trip):

tents (yes. usually 2-3, depending if the kid wants his own tent or not, and space at site.) One 8 man and one 1 man (for DS sleeping) and one 4 man to store stuff in, like food/equipment/stinky clothes/etc) PLUS tarps for under each one. Four man is set up on the opposite side of our sleep tents, just in case of maruaders.

cots/pads (dh and I now use cots w/pads; ds uses just camping pads)

floor mats (we use those interlocking foam mats in the bottom of the big tent. easier on the feet than the ground, and helps insulate a little)

Outdoor 'grass' mat that sits outside the big tent door (we take the clean clothes in duffel bags, stored inside a big plastic tote box; at camp, the clothes go in the tent, the tote box sits outside the tent door, and shoes go in it. it it's nice out, the shoes can sit on top during the day, and get some sun and air (we take multiple pairs); if it's bad out, the shoes can go in the tote and not bring any nasty stuff into the tent. can stand on the outdoor mat after you take off the shoes to get anything off the feet to save having to clean the inside of the tent constantly. dirty clothes go back into the tote for the trip home.)

sleeping bags, top sheet (in case it gets too hot for the bags, but I have to have something on me; old ones that have been deemed too worn for use in the house), pillows

popups (one for over the cooking area, one for over the table/chairs); screen tent for over picnic table (won't use one over the cooking area, safety issue)

Camping chairs, folding table (for food prep, cleaning, etc. or if needed, to eat at)

hatchet, tent mallet

collapsible trash cans...one for trash outside, one for dirty clothes inside (the dirty clothes go into a plastic bag in the trash can. Keeps the tent tidy, close down the bag each night to minimize smell, no mixing of dirty clothes with clean; the bag goes into the shoe tote at the end to transport home,) we collapse the trash can each night after disposing of the trash in the camps main trash area, lysol it, and toss it into the spare tent

coolers (one for meats with block ice...we fill 2 gallon soda bottles and freeze them, so we can fit multiples; one for other things needed to be kept cold like cheese/mayo; one for drinks); 5 gallon orange drink cooler (filled with ice for drinking water) and 3 gallon blue drink cooler for making tea/bug juice in. also, we take an empty 5 gallon water cooler jug, with a pump, if there is no water hookup at the campsite, for quick access to handwashing water, filling pots, etc. You can get the pump on amazon.

Cook box (plastic tote kept in spare tent): cooking and eating utensils, plates/bowls/cups (plastic from walmart picnic section); small cheap set of pots and pans (bought 30 years ago at WM for $20); knives, cutting boards (plastic thin); meat thermometer; can opener, whisk, pastry brush, egg timer); 3 plastic tubs for washing/rinse/sanitize dishes, along with small drying rack; press pot and hand crank coffee grinder; metal skewers); Kitchen towels and oven mitts; and for the press pot, we use (at home too) an insulated bag, to keep it warm while brewing

Food box (anything not needing to be refrigerated, kept in spare tent if using) **note, coolers and food box are all 'locked' with bungie cords around them, to help keep out pesky invaders, we use 2 to make a "+" over the lids. I use ziplocks and tupperware type containers like crazy; in the coolers and the food box)

marshmallow/hot dog cooking forks (the heavy duty one can be used for stirring the fire, shifting logs around) ; cast iron (we have a big Dutch oven w/lid, and 2 skillets, where the small one can be used for a lid or cooking); popcorn popper and pie maker for use with a fire (someone else posted about that earlier); big 'turkey fryer size' pot, for boiling water in for cooking/cleaning/coffee.

small tote with dish soap, scrub pads, bug spray, lysol, sunscreen, matches (regular and waterproof, just in case), firestarters (usually made by the kids, with wax and dryer lint); small hand broom/dustpan for cleaning up tent; clothespins (we always have extra rope in the car); charcoal (great for using with the cast iron) if needed

Full first aid kit, including a self-use tourniquet, blood quick clot, glow sticks. We use a tackle box for storage.

Camp stoves: One big 3 burner propane (uses the same propane tank as a grill), with griddle; one smaller table top version, used for heating a can of soup/chili or water for a cup of soup or something (not used very often). usually don't take the backpacking stoves with us.

Lanterns: propane ones for outside, battery operated for inside. (I had one for 20 years, was the best one ever; Coleman, ran on batteries or electricity (rechargable) and was so bright; they stopped making it, no more bulbs and when the last bulb finally went, I was so sad). Flashlights, headlamps. Portable chargers, including a battery operated one and a solar one.

fishing gear (optional), outdoor games (optional; like ladder toss, beanbag toss, horseshoes, etc), card games

Personal stuff (clothes, shoes, medications, hygiene stuff) Baby wipes are great for a quick wipe down before bed.

I grew up camping. I have camped in hurricanes, tornadoes nearby, 120 degree heat, etc.. My parents were crazy!🤣 My summer vacation as a kid through teen years was a two week tent camping trip along the coast of Maine. Great memories!

Now I am more of a Marriott girl,but still love camping.
My advice is probably the opposite of what others might say, but I believe less is more.
We used to bring everything....then spend half the trip looking and searching for stuff in bins to make our site perfect. Then I realized particularly for a weekend trip, we didn’t need everything and started paring things back. It made for a much more relaxing and enjoyable time. I suggest double checking your list and weeding out those things you don’t consider essential. Really. The trips will be much less work for you.

Even regarding meals. if you are near civilization and want to just grab breakfast at the local donut shop or subs for dinner, you will have more time relax around the campfire. Nothing wrong with that.

I hope you have a great time and awesome weather! Enjoy every moment!

Check out Spring Mill State Park near Mitchell Indiana. I spent about 10 days there last season and enjoyed it a great deal. Lots to do and lots to explore.

There was an infamous (some say legendary) bear up in the Adirondacks that managed to open one particular bear resistant canister that no other bear since has managed to open. That ended up requiring a ton of redesign and it still managed to open it. Then a hunter killed it, and that was that.

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/25/nyregion/25bear.html
The last year we were supposed to go camping before WDW was to be on a water access only site managed by the state's DEP . Much like the Feds, NYS, has campsites overseen by 3 or 4 different agencies with different levels of amenities. It has a small bear population but no "Yellow-Yellow" that I'm aware of. Still if ever you get to the NE and want to camp away from it all it's called Indian Lake in Hamilton County:

https://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/29/travel/escapes/29island.html
Lots of pictures and vids of individual sites online at youtube and various forums.

I did a lot of research before putting money down on our cabin tent: denier, fabric content, pole composition, zippers, etc. It was a bit difficult as there are few camping stores in NYC and fewer still with large tent floor models. Wound up ordering it online. One of the things I love about our particular model is that the two doors don't line up (makes for better floor layout options and if one zipper dies you still have another way to get out. Dead zipper never happened to us but I always keep a repair kit in case another camper needs help: bar soap for stuck zippers plus needle and waxed thread for tears and restitching). My one grumble was the floor material which I felt was too thin although it never tore. I placed one of those woven plastic outdoor rugs atop it and it feels better and I no longer need to sweep the floor out until tear down. Also it would be nice if the poles were color coded. I did it myself with nail polishes but still. My CC (Copper Canyon) has 10 years of use under it's belt (it's actually about 12 y/o now) and I know there have been some changes since then and I hope color coding is one of them. The only part I ever needed to replace was the rain fly due to sun damage (we frequently camped at the beach) after about 8 years. Another proponent of door mats, one outside and the other inside since it cuts down on dirt entering the unit. About zippers, when you see a tent with YKK double head zippers you know you're looking at a product with some quality components.

I don't like the feel and sound of those blue high mil plastic floors. Like walking on a giant garbage bag and I would worry if the floor got wet about slipping. Still, I suppose they rarely leak.

Only two rules for tent living in my world and they are inviolate: no shoes in the tent and no eating in it.

We also have a Kelty sunscreen (discontinued) that is shaped like a Noah's tarp in looks minus the guyline placement and has fiberglass poles like their current sunshade. Strangely enough the only tent structure that ever needed pole replacement although Kelty will replace them for free no matter the age of your equipment. The Paha Que screen tent is wondrous and one of the few screen houses you can use an open flame in due to it's roof design and height. Definitely needs 2 people to set it up though.

We plan to "glamp" on a NSS beach this August (the company provides almost all equipment) so I want to bring the Kelty for beach sitting. I'm also trying to make up my mind if we should bring my 1975 Coleman fuel double burner suitcase (best 20 bucks I ever spent as they really don't make them that durable anymore) or more recently made Snow Peak pack and carry firepit. Both work exceedingly well for their purposes. Boiling water is easiest on the Coleman (or a propane unit which I don't own-too many fuels to carry) and the Snow Peak functions as both a fire pit and grill. I'll also be bringing our mini Hozuki and/or Tulip lamps by Snow Peak even though the campground provides lanterns. Whichever one I put my hand on first will be the one we take. Both give off very clear white light which is great for reading and playing backgammon. Probably a good cooking light too but we always eat dinner before the sun starts to set-too much work finding things and guessing food temperature otherwise. When we use other lighting all the bckgammon stones look the same color instead of being brown and cream. One of them can plug into a USB port and provides an emergency charge to a cell phone (think it's the discontinued Tulip).

@#1hoosierfan - I don't know what kind of SUV you have but we found renting a Honda Odyssey w/ 60/40 split seats gave enough room for 4 people and all our gear for long trips. For 2-3 night trips an Element did fine for 2 people and gear. Should your car have a roof rack you'll be fine. You'll be amazed at all the stuff you really don't need and how much gear fits in your vehicle. Remember that there is space under the seats where kitchen gear can fit nicely;). Oh and a Thermos bag makes a nice place to store cooking utensils as you can hang it off the edge of the table or on the car's exterior mirror. Just remember to remove it from the mirror before you start the car or you might be searching for it along a road...not that it's ever happened to me, LOL.

You might find this link useful for making a menu that leaves you with less excess food:
https://www.cookinglight.com/entert.../healthy-vacation-cooking?slide=134869#134869
No need to follow it to the nth but it's use of the same ingredients is great no matter what cuisine you prefer.

And here is a recipe for make ahead home fries if that's a dish your family enjoys. Good for breakfast and as a dinner side dish with your favorite roasted meat:

Home Fries
SERVESServes 6 to 8
WHY THIS RECIPE WORKS
Making home fries the traditional way takes about an hour of standing over a hot skillet, after which you get only three servings at most. We wanted a quicker, more hands-off method for making a larger amount. To speed things up, we developed a hybrid cooking technique: First, we parboil diced russet potatoes, and then we coat them in oil and cook them in a very hot oven. We discovered that boiling the potatoes with baking soda quickly breaks down their exterior while leaving their insides nearly raw, ensuring home fries with a crisp, brown crust and a moist, fluffy interior. We added diced onions in the last 20 minutes of oven time and finished the home fries with chives to reinforce the onion flavor.
Home Fries

INGREDIENTS

3 ½ pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into ¾-inch dice

½ teaspoon baking soda

3 tablespoons
unsalted butter,
cut into 12 pieces

Kosher salt
and pepper

Pinch cayenne pepper

3 tablespoons
vegetable oil

2 onions, cut into ½-inch dice

3 tablespoons minced fresh chives
BEFORE YOU BEGIN
Don’t skip the baking soda in this recipe. It’s critical for home fries with just the right crisp texture.
INSTRUCTIONS
Adjust oven rack to lowest position, place rimmed baking sheet on rack, and heat oven to 500 degrees.

Bring 10 cups water to boil in Dutch oven over high heat. Add potatoes and baking soda. Return to boil and cook for 1 minute. Drain potatoes. Return potatoes to Dutch oven and place over low heat. Cook, shaking pot occasionally, until any surface moisture has evaporated, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Add butter, 1½ teaspoons salt, and cayenne; mix with rubber spatula until potatoes are coated with thick, starchy paste, about 30 seconds.

Remove baking sheet from oven and drizzle with 2 tablespoons oil. Transfer potatoes to baking sheet and spread into even layer. Roast for 15 minutes. While potatoes roast, combine onions, remaining 1 tablespoon oil, and ½ teaspoon salt in bowl.

Remove baking sheet from oven. Using thin, sharp metal spatula, scrape and turn potatoes. Clear about 8 by 5-inch space in center of baking sheet and add onion mixture. Roast for 15 minutes.

Scrape and turn again, mixing onions into potatoes. Continue to roast until potatoes are well browned and onions are softened and beginning to brown, 5 to 10 minutes. Stir in chives and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.

This freezes like a dream! I take 1-2 minutes off the oven time when I'm making it in advance. Never used chives unless they were on hand but I do add red or green peppers to the onions since it's the style in NYC diners. Here's a pic of my version while I'm cooking:

Finished dish before cooling and storing in Ziploc bag:

4978071590780266023.png1590780352065.png

hi, Kashi here ... I love going out for camping in summer apart from the other essential items and tips and tricks its very important for you to manage and keep yourself cool while out there in the heat.
I would like to suggest you few tips like using light color tent with proper ventilation ,setting camp under the shade etc.
before planning for camping this will keep giving you the tips and tricks to keep your tent cool without carrying air conditions.
regards
Kashi

Wow, you folks are really high maintenance with your camping. If it doesn't fit on the bicycle, it's not going camping with me, LOL.

Tent, sleeping bag or covering, camp sleeping pad, camp pillow, bushcraft stove, cook kit, fixed blade camp knife, folding saw, ferro rod, dehydrated food. That's all I take camping. Sometimes I take my carving knife to carve something.

Wow, you folks are really high maintenance with your camping. If it doesn't fit on the bicycle, it's not going camping with me, LOL.

Tent, sleeping bag or covering, camp sleeping pad, camp pillow, bushcraft stove, cook kit, fixed blade camp knife, folding saw, ferro rod, dehydrated food. That's all I take camping. Sometimes I take my carving knife to carve something.

Tell me about it. I keep it simple.

Tent camping is awesome.
But on my first camping in summer, I suffered more in the whole camping as I didn't know how to cool a tent with no electricity.
So every camper should care about that.
Good luck

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!