Tentative Day Itinerary at Disneyland

Yes, you can upgrade your ticket and only pay the difference in price. Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I think you can upgrade them at City Hall anytime before you leave on your first day. You could probably also just call Disney as well.
Upgrade at the ticket booths in the Esplanade before the end of your first day.

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, but I would recommend having all of your tickets scanned into the app on your phone. You could then double up on fastpasses for rides by pulling ones your dad and sister aren't interested in with their tickets. In my experience, you just scan the app FP so wouldn't matter whose name was on it. Might make your planning and timing a little more flexible.
Anyone else have different experience or advice on this?

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, but I would recommend having all of your tickets scanned into the app on your phone. You could then double up on fastpasses for rides by pulling ones your dad and sister aren't interested in with their tickets. In my experience, you just scan the app FP so wouldn't matter whose name was on it. Might make your planning and timing a little more flexible.
Anyone else have different experience or advice on this?
I heard about doing that but then it'd cost more money..

I heard about doing that but then it'd cost more money..

I think you could still do it without maxpass, so shouldn't cost anything. You would have to insert their ticket into the machine to get the FP added, but I believe you could still scan app to enter the ride. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Haven't been without MP in a while.
thanks!

I think you could still do it without maxpass, so shouldn't cost anything. You would have to insert their ticket into the machine to get the FP added, but I believe you could still scan app to enter the ride. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Haven't been without MP in a while.
thanks!
Oh you're right! :)

So just found out that we might be going to LA for 2 weeks with my mom again this summer. She has another meeting.

Hoping that we'll be able to schedule another trip to DL to get through what we didn't get through and ride favorites again! Although it'll be crowded due to SWGE... hm...

Reactions: EmJ

OP I absolutely respect your planning and attention to detail. I’m a planner too! But since you’re 13 and traveling with your dad and little sis, I have to tell you that the day you have planned is entirely too ambitious for a 3 year old. From wake time to leaving the park you are asking a 3 year old to do a 17-hour day. There are not enough stroller naps in the world for that. Bare minimum, I recommend that you consider leaving after the fireworks. Even so, you’re talking a 15-hour day for your toddler sister. That is a lot.

Also, take the time you are estimating for everything and double it. You can’t eat lunch in 10 minutes... not even if you mobile order and eat as fast as you can. Budget 30 minutes minimum for meals, double your travel time from land to land and across the park. Even if a ride is a walk on, it takes time to walk on, and to actually ride it in the case of some longer rides it’s a long time! It can take 30 minutes to an hour to ride Pirates and Indy... even with a fast pass for Indy.

Finally, I respectfully disagree with the the previous posters who think Fantasyland will still be low wait times after a Magic morning. It’s “possible” that the wait times will still be reasonable but look at the app to see before deciding and if they are long go over to Adventureland and New Orleans Square instead. Some mornings after Magic Morning FL is just a zoo. Dumbo, Alice and Peter Pan will likely be 30-45 minutes each... that’s several hours dedicated to just three rides (if you choose to go that way).

I think the OP is 17 -- so an older teen. Definitely a very detailed planner!
I agree about doubling the time estimates for everything. That way, if things take extra time, you expected that. And if they take less time, you still come out ahead. And, yes, FL can be really good, fairly good, or a total time sink -- it all depends. Just keep checking the app to see how things look, then decide what to do at the time. Since you'll have a back up plan anyway, it should be okay.
Great news about a possible trip during the summer. Maybe you could get 3 day tickets (then you'd get a MM -- your sister and dad might like that!) so that you could spread out your park goals -- then crowds wouldn't be such a big deal. And the parks really run pretty smoothly during the summer -- the peak schedule has longer hours, more staffing, more entertainment, rides running at full capacity, etc. That make a very big difference when it comes to handling crowds.

I think the OP is 17 -- so an older teen. Definitely a very detailed planner!

How old are you OP and how much freedom do your parents give you? Are you old enough that they could return to the hotel to give the 3 year old a break and you could crank out some stuff via the single rider lines then they rejoin you? As a parent if you are 13 I wouldn't leave you alone but if you are say a high school senior about to go off on your own in the world to college this might be a good time to give you a little freedom (assuming you keep your cell on and stay in the parks)

OP: if you are indeed 13, I'm impressed with your planning skills! But if you are 13, your dad must stay in the park with you all day because under 14's must have someone 14 or older with them.

Last edited:
My impression was definitely an older teen but I guess who knows. I was probably around 16-17 when I took over vacation planning for my family and have honed the skill over the last 20 some years. I would be impressed by the initiative in a 13 year old.

OP stated in this thread that he or she is 13... but maybe it could be a typo. I am also impressed with the OP’s planning skills and especially his/her mastery of excellent grammar, spelling and punctuation!

Haha lots of posts so I'll just reply here.

1) I don't think that my sister would mind, we've stayed 17 hours at Magic Kingdom before and she was fine, she just took a nap and overslept the next day.
2) I'll do my best to double times....
3) I'll be sure to check wait times before deciding where to rope drop. :)
4) Nope, not 17, I'm 13. :P But thank you!
5) If we got 3 day tickets would we have to use them consecutively? We're talking a day in June then probably two in July?
6) Again, 13. So I can't wander off by myself while my dad stays with my sister in Toontown or something? I was under the impression that I could...
7) Thanks for the compliments! Honestly I don't have a choice - you know, before I started researching for this upcoming trip and our next trip to WDW we would wander in the park with no knowledge. No FP, no rope drop, nothing. Hoping to make future trips better.

I am so impressed with your planning and the fact that you are taking such care to ensure a great day for all of you! I think others have given you a lot of good specific pointers. As a mother who has had the unforgettable experience of her 3 year old literally laying on the concrete screaming and thrashing about in front of RSR please take it easy for everyone's sake. Experiencing less but with everyone happy and enjoying themselves is better than checking things off a list. I would love to hear how it all goes - please report back.

I am so impressed with your planning and the fact that you are taking such care to ensure a great day for all of you! I think others have given you a lot of good specific pointers. As a mother who has had the unforgettable experience of her 3 year old literally laying on the concrete screaming and thrashing about in front of RSR please take it easy for everyone's sake. Experiencing less but with everyone happy and enjoying themselves is better than checking things off a list. I would love to hear how it all goes - please report back.
Oh goodness, I'm going to pray that that doesn't happen with my sister..

I'll take that advice and see what I'd be willing to cross off and perhaps save for another trip. Thank you, I'll make sure to report back!

Hey StarSpeckled. Anyone feel
Haha lots of posts so I'll just reply here.

1) I don't think that my sister would mind, we've stayed 17 hours at Magic Kingdom before and she was fine, she just took a nap and overslept the next day.
2) I'll do my best to double times....
3) I'll be sure to check wait times before deciding where to rope drop. :)
4) Nope, not 17, I'm 13. :P But thank you!
5) If we got 3 day tickets would we have to use them consecutively? We're talking a day in June then probably two in July?
6) Again, 13. So I can't wander off by myse 😉 lf while my dad stays with my sister in Toontown or something? I was under the impression that I could...
7) Thanks for the compliments! Honestly I don't have a choice - you know, before I started researching for this upcoming trip and our next trip to WDW we would wander in the park with no knowledge. No FP, no rope drop, nothing. Hoping to make future trips better.
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but as to #5 and #6, multiday tickets all have to be used within 2 weeks. So, if you got three-day tickets and used them on June 20 and July 1 and 2, that would work. But it would not work to get three-day tickets and use them on June 20 and July 28 and 29. I also took a look at the Disneyland rules, and it says you have to be 14 to enter the park alone, but only 8 to board a ride alone. So it sounds like you would be able to tour the park unaccompanied once you get inside with your dad, as long as he's comfortable with it.

As to your sister... your mom and dad know her temperament best and what she can handle. My four-year-old needs a bed, Mr. Purple Monkey, silence, and a dark room to sleep. I think he would spontaneously combust trying to tour on your plan! But other kids are more go-with-the-flow, can sleep anywhere, and would be fine. Review your plan with your parents and see what they think. If she handled a 17-hour Magic Kingdom day and your dad feels okay about an equally long Disneyland one, then that's most important. After all, he will be the one dealing with the thrashing three-year-old 😉, so I'm sure he will tell you if it's too much.

You've done so much preparation, I'm sure your day will be great. I can't wait to hear how it goes.

Hey StarSpeckled. Anyone feel

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but as to #5 and #6, multiday tickets all have to be used within 2 weeks. So, if you got three-day tickets and used them on June 20 and July 1 and 2, that would work. But it would not work to get three-day tickets and use them on June 20 and July 28 and 29. I also took a look at the Disneyland rules, and it says you have to be 14 to enter the park alone, but only 8 to board a ride alone. So it sounds like you would be able to tour the park unaccompanied once you get inside with your dad, as long as he's comfortable with it.

As to your sister... your mom and dad know her temperament best and what she can handle. My four-year-old needs a bed, Mr. Purple Monkey, silence, and a dark room to sleep. I think he would spontaneously combust trying to tour on your plan! But other kids are more go-with-the-flow, can sleep anywhere, and would be fine. Review your plan with your parents and see what they think. If she handled a 17-hour Magic Kingdom day and your dad feels okay about an equally long Disneyland one, then that's most important. After all, he will be the one dealing with the thrashing three-year-old 😉, so I'm sure he will tell you if it's too much.

You've done so much preparation, I'm sure your day will be great. I can't wait to hear how it goes.
Okay, I think that we'll stick with our one-day ticket and maybe upgrade, then buy another set in July if we go then. And that's great, I have yet to talk to my dad about me going off alone but I really should ask soon.

My parents honestly don't understand Disney.. at all. Before this trip, when I wasn't doing planning and leaving it up to them, we'd ride maybe four rides and wait 1+ hours for each ride. We didn't get rope drop. :| But I'll do some explaining about how busy it'll be and all the rides. My sister will normally fall asleep during an indoors show where the audience area is dark (Finding Nemo - The Musical at Animal Kingdom, Enchanted Tiki Room at Magic Kingdom, etc).

Thank you! I'm thinking of doing live updates while waiting in the line if I have nothing better to do.

I haven't commented much, but I know we will all be cheering for you! What a fun day you have planned for you 3! Special memories will be made for sure. You seem more than capable of doing some touring on your own, you are very mature 👍 Awesome job!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter