Tenting at the FORT

Texas2Disney

Earning My Ears
We are a rather large (four kids 6yo and under) outdoorsy family. We camp fairly often in a small camp trailer for two and a tent. Now, the wife and I have camped at the fort in this same camp trailer back when there was only one kid.... and it was perfect.

We are looking to go back with a tent this time. Any tips on staying at the fort in a tent. We live in Texas and can handle most outdoor conditions. My wife's concern is the long stretch of time without an A/C. We're looking at being there one of the first two weeks of December.

Weather conditions?
Comfort tips?
Must haves?
ETC????

Honestly, in December, your bigger concern is probably staying warm at night rather than keeping cool during the day. 55-60 outside at night felt pretty cool to me, and I’m from up north. Not that either is a big problem, but it’s probably going to feel cooler than you expect at night. The days should be pretty comfortable. Biggest difference tent camping I guess would be to bring something sturdy to keep food in to dissuade the squirrels; they’ll chew through a tent no problem.

I agree, a/c isn't a big issue in Dec & if you get warm a trip to pool, laundry room in comfort station (good for playing games), or trip on the internal bus (my dad did & napped) should give you reprieve.

I use this to keep warm

Screenshot_2019-08-13-11-41-05-0286412985.png

Heats from below (cold ground) & is smaller to pack than electric blankets.

I also use this to heat the whole tent.

IMG_20190813_115305.jpg

Small but mighty & won't burn anything if tipped over, since you have small kids, and can be just a fan when things heat up during the day.

I also think gloves, hats & extra socks go a long way to keeping warm at night without costing too much packing space.

Just remember, outdoor extension cords with power strip to plug everything in.

Last edited:
We are a rather large (four kids 6yo and under) outdoorsy family. We camp fairly often in a small camp trailer for two and a tent. Now, the wife and I have camped at the fort in this same camp trailer back when there was only one kid.... and it was perfect.

We are looking to go back with a tent this time. Any tips on staying at the fort in a tent. We live in Texas and can handle most outdoor conditions. My wife's concern is the long stretch of time without an A/C. We're looking at being there one of the first two weeks of December.

Weather conditions?
Comfort tips?
Must haves?
ETC????

You can expect most any weather those weeks. We were there when the weather dipped unexpectedly down to 28* for a few nights, and the days were in the 40's with wind!! (2010) 'That' was cold!!! Unusual, yes, very, but it can, and does happen. Mostly it should be pretty pleasant weather, but just come prepared for nearly anything!
Being a LA girl, we packed for all kinds weather as it is similar there, but we still could not stay (and enjoy) the parks all day.

I agree with North of Mouse on this. We were there mid Dec last year with 6 adults in a Hybrid TT and tent. One night we had to re-arrange the sleeping positions because it was too cold for some in the tent (low 40's). Other times we have been in Orlando area for Christmas to New Years and have seen nights in low 30's and highs well into the 70's or higher.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter