Teppan Edo Solo.

DrunkJam

DIS Veteran
Is it super weird being there as a solo diner? I mean, you'd be with a family or group and it would probably mess up their day?

I like the look of the menu but I think I'll probably skip to due to being one person.

Is it super weird being there as a solo diner? I mean, you'd be with a family or group and it would probably mess up their day?

I like the look of the menu but I think I'll probably skip to due to being one person.

I've been to hibachis before. Usually with friends or on a date. It would not "mess up [my/our] day" to have another join us. We're all there to have fun & eat food. Groups are either too much into their own thing or they'll be sociable with you (if you're open to that).

If you feel you're too uncomfortable sitting with strangers, that's OK. I have my own things as well I might be unsure about. But if you really want to eat there, I encourage you to take that leap.

Honestly, I've done Teppan Edo solo and it hasn't been a problem. Usually, it's two or more groups besides yourself at the table, so they wouldn't be getting an exclusive experience anyway. The cooking and presentation of the food is entertainment and then you're too busy eating to feel awkward.

Also, in my experience, people have usually had too much togetherness with their family and are happy to have a stranger to talk with!

Thank you! I might give it a go then, I am looking to try the things I like the look of that the children could not cope with, so, maybe this will work!

I did it on my first solo trip. I sat with a couple and a family. Everyone was very nice. The family was chatty and having a good time. They ordered some cocktails and I joined in with them. We cheered on the chef and had a great meal. I had seen them later in the day in France and we got slushies together. I’m sure it’s hit or miss depending who you are sitting with, but I would give it a try.

I did it on my first solo trip. I sat with a couple and a family. Everyone was very nice. The family was chatty and having a good time. They ordered some cocktails and I joined in with them. We cheered on the chef and had a great meal. I had seen them later in the day in France and we got slushies together. I’m sure it’s hit or miss depending who you are sitting with, but I would give it a try.
Thank you for sharing your experience, that's great!

I think you will be fine. This summer I was with my sister, parents, nephew and boyfriend. My sister was seated next to the family of 3, a mom with two teens. The mom and my sister chatted the whole time.

I've been to Teppan Edo solo. Its great! I didnt feel out of place at all. Its such a great experience. You wont be messing up anyones day. So dont worry about that. Go and try it and have a good time. :) Love the food there.

Last edited:
I've been a few times and I will say it can be hit and miss. One time I was next to two, female older teenagers and I had no one on the other side; it was the end where the cook stands. Anyway, they had no interest in having a conversation. I was too far away from anyone else; so, that was a little awkward. I just watched the cook more and enjoyed my meal. Other times I was able to chime in and I had a good time talking with others.

I have done a solo meal there. There was a toddler at the table who screamed through most of the meal. Other than that, everything else was great.

I've been seated with solo diners at Teppan Edo previously. It is communal seating so you can be seated with several other couples, families, singles, etc. If you want to try it, do it. No one will notice or care and it's not in the least bit odd.

Glad to see the responses to this... going solo for first time and contemplating Teppan Edo for dinner one evening. It’s a fave of mine!

I've never gone solo but I've gone several times with various members of my family. If there had been solo diner at our table we would have been totally welcoming. It's a good meal.

I guess I'll be the only disenting voice here. I've eaten lots of solo meals, never had a problem except at Teppen Edo. I was seated next to a family, specifically the teenaged daughter. And since I was at the end of the table, she was my closest table-mate, and it's too loud to talk to anyone else. Unfortunately, any attempts I made to be friendly and ask her questions about her trip were met with monosyllabic grunts. It was obvious that she was miserable being there. At the end of the meal, I don't know which one of us was more anxious to leave. That's when I decided I'd rather eat alone, than wish I was.

I guess I'll be the only disenting voice here. I've eaten lots of solo meals, never had a problem except at Teppen Edo. I was seated next to a family, specifically the teenaged daughter. And since I was at the end of the table, she was my closest table-mate, and it's too loud to talk to anyone else. Unfortunately, any attempts I made to be friendly and ask her questions about her trip were met with monosyllabic grunts. It was obvious that she was miserable being there. At the end of the meal, I don't know which one of us was more anxious to leave. That's when I decided I'd rather eat alone, than wish I was.

Not exactly getting your response. At pretty much every other table service you are not sitting next to anyone if dining solo. It sounds like here the experience would have been the same if you didn't try talking with the teenager.

Am I missing something vs what you normally experience when going to lets say Le Cellier or California Grill?

Not exactly getting your response. At pretty much every other table service you are not sitting next to anyone if dining solo. It sounds like here the experience would have been the same if you didn't try talking with the teenager.

Am I missing something vs what you normally experience when going to lets say Le Cellier or California Grill?

Yes, you're probably right in that I should have just not bothered to try to talk to the teenaged girl sitting next to me. When I'm sitting by myself at tables at, say, California Grill or Narcoosee's (haven't dined solo at Le Cellier) I have no trouble-often I just read a book if there's nothing to see.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts