Terra Nova Guy and the Raiders of the Lost Park - an August 2018 TR *COMPLETE* 4/28

Hello, I have been enjoying your report and lurking. However, I wanted to come out if lurkdom when I saw the thing about the college program. International students have more options than just their home country. I did two programs and worked with students from France and the UK and obviously both those countries are represented in EPCOT. I know they less flexibility on their program dates and lengths, but they said it was easier to do than the cultural representive program (the one where they work in their home country) as there are more job options available m, basically the same ones open to US students. This program is the cultural exchange program. so if she interested there is another option available. Just thought I would let you know.
Thanks for the info, that's good to know. something to look into.
And thank you for reading along!

You can ask at the entrance of One Man’s Dream to become a Disney Historian

Neat! You learn something new every trip report :teacher: :thumbsup2

(@Timon if you’re reading, this is the sky we talked about the night you were in AK). I’m sure my pictures can’t do justice to the colours in the sky that night, but it was stunning.

Your sky was almost as pretty as mine. :goodvibes :rotfl2:

When the first Epcot bus finally arrived at ASMu, it was full.

UGH! This is why I always pay for a rental car and use it all the time. :crazy2:

I found it an awkward meet, not really sure if I should touch him for fear of popping him and sending him flying through Innoventions like a leaky balloon.

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

For the most part we enjoyed the new show, although we all missed the oranges.

I don't like the new version at all :duck:

Sorry to hear the morning was rough, but glad it all turned around for you!!! We've all been there though, hope things stay in the upswing.

Today marked the halfway point of our trip.

And the shopping day is behind you!

It is also the point where the consecutive Disney commando days have worn down my family.

Been there. Broke DW that way.

it’s not like we were sleeping until lunch. Let’s not get crazy.

:laughing: Okay.

Definitely no patented @pkondz golden transportation express pass this morning.

You should've asked. I do rent it out.

The end of our Soarin’ FP window came and went by the time we got to the security line.

Well... crap!
I maintain that the security line at Epcot is the longest of all the parks.

Our first time to see the new Soarin’ and this happens.

Well, that sucked. Glad you got another FP.

I should have done Nemo or Figment or another throwaway first in case we didn’t make it.

::yes:: That's what I do in Epcot. FP for Nemo... because... one never needs a FP for Nemo.

we did meet Joy & Sadness.

Which were you?

I was definitely more on the Sadness side of the spectrum at this point.

oops! Nevermind.

Yes, I was being foolish and I should have been happy that the girls were content.

:sad2:
I always tell newbies with kids that they have to go in and put the kids first. I think I need to tell that to vets with older kids, too.

But I came to the unmistakable conclusion that I had developed Disney Funk. Symptoms include repeating the phrases “I don’t care”, “do what you want”, and “that’s fine”,

:hug:

Treatment includes riding BTMRR and eating a Dole Whip or something Mickey shaped. Unfortunately none of these things were in the immediate vicinity of Innoventions.

Correct cure. Wrong locale.

since I was being a big baby non-committal,

:laughing:

I found it an awkward meet, not really sure if I should touch him for fear of popping him and sending him flying through Innoventions like a leaky balloon.

But.... Dude!
That's the best part! Wear something sharp! See if you can pop him!

While they were at Starbucks, she had the brilliant idea to get on the MDE app and see if those missed FP could be changed for later. It turns out they can and she did get both a Soarin’ and LwtL FP for a couple hours later.

No. Way!

I always though if you missed your FP, it was gone, done. I had no idea you could rescue them in the app and try to reschedule.

That's what I thought too! Sure she rescheduled... or just booked... no... you can only book one... Huh!!

The Seas with Nemo. We’ve never had any significant interest in this area, but we normally check out the marine life anyway. Nothing special happened here. Nothing bad happened here. Moving on.

Yep. Although the starfish at the end made us laugh once.
it's more fun to see inside the tank from the viewing areas. (or to be in the tank.)

This day continued to turn around, because for our very first Soarin’ Around the World experience we lucked into row B1 – front and centre.

Good!!!!

We did not experience any of the Eiffel Tower warping that so many others have noted.

::yes::

For the most part we enjoyed the new show, although we all missed the oranges.

And the golf ball.

The Taj Mahal scene bothered me a little, being so obviously CG.

Yeah. You should see it from the side. Horrid!

I suggested getting cupcakes from Sunshine Seasons.

Not the strawberry shortcake?

I had read about “the best Disney cupcakes” maybe on Disney Food Blog before this trip. I remembered that several were at Sunshine Seasons. And none of the sweet tooths (sweet teeth?) in my family will turn down a cupcake. Katie and I got a Rose Gold Minnie Ears cupcake (vanilla & Nutella chocolate marble cake, vanilla butter cream, fondant ears), Brianna got a Belle cupcake (chocolate cake with cherry filling, vanilla butter cream), and Tish had a Mickey Whoopie Pie which was red velvet cake with buttercream icing. Other than Brianna not liking the cherry filling, they were all very good.

Good to know! Thanks for the review!

I can’t tell you why I have an obsession with this ride. I am not a gardener, nor a farmer.

I know why...

But I was fascinated by this ride on my very first trip when I was 9 years old, and I still am today. I just love it.

... that's why. Nostalgia is king in Disney.

I also want to live in that farmhouse.

:laughing: I can see that, actually.

You probably already know, but the address on the mailbox is 82, the year Epcot opened.

Hadn't noticed that. Thanks!

Since I was in the vicinity of both Spaceship Earth and a monorail, I took the obligatory photo. As per Trip Report Guidelines section 2, subsection 1.4, I am also required to share that photo with you.

1. We’re back to Epcot. What mode of transport do we use to get there (bus or rental car)? Bus

2. We meet some characters (other than princesses). Which characters? Joy & Sadness, Baymax

3. We get snacks at a QS restaurant. Which restaurant? Sunshine Seasons

I did pretty good last round. :)

1. We watch Happily Ever After, but we did not stand in The Hub. From where do we watch HEA?

Behind the castle.

2. During HEA, I have a snack that was new at the time (just debuted this year). What snack?

Cat tail.

3. Katie does a ride for the first time. Which ride?

Speedway?

UGH! This is why I always pay for a rental car and use it all the time. :crazy2:
That trip was the first time I had paid for a rental while staying on property. I think it's worth the cost. I actually gave it back a few days before the end of the trip since we were doing mostly MK our last couple days. I missed having it.

Been there. Broke DW that way.
Yeah, DW is good for about 4 days, then she checks out a bit.

You should've asked. I do rent it out.
I'm sure you charge competitive rates too. I'll have to keep it in mind next trip :p

That's what I do in Epcot. FP for Nemo... because... one never needs a FP for Nemo.
Truth. Definitely something I need to remember next time I plan a trip.

But.... Dude!
That's the best part! Wear something sharp! See if you can pop him!
I think I read in someone's TR that their kid ran up too quick while still wearing something - maybe a back pack - and the CM's nearly pounced on the kid to keep him away.

That's what I thought too! Sure she rescheduled... or just booked... no... you can only book one... Huh!!
Truthfully, I don't know exactly what she did or how, but we definitely had two shiny new FPs for Soarin and LwtL. I guess it depends on availability, but it worked for us on that day anyway.

it's more fun to see inside the tank from the viewing areas. (or to be in the tank.)
I can imagine that's more interesting for sure.
I've always been intrigued by the idea of scuba diving, but I have never done it.

Yeah. You should see it from the side. Horrid!
Spoiler - we do later in the trip. Yeah, not impressed.

Not the strawberry shortcake?
I have heard of the strawberry shortcake, and I was tempted, but I was equally tempted by the cupcakes.

Hadn't noticed that. Thanks!
Cool! Just shows that anybody can learn something new in a TR.

I did pretty good last round. :)
As for the current round, 1/3 ain't bad...

Yeah, DW is good for about 4 days, then she checks out a bit.

I think I broke mine after 3. :rolleyes1

I'm sure you charge competitive rates too. I'll have to keep it in mind next trip :p

Oh, no. I charge an exorbitant rate. But it's totally worth it.

Truth. Definitely something I need to remember next time I plan a trip.

I think I read in someone's TR that their kid ran up too quick while still wearing something - maybe a back pack - and the CM's nearly pounced on the kid to keep him away.

See??? Totally a challenge!

I've always been intrigued by the idea of scuba diving, but I have never done it.

Well maybe now that you're travelling less... maybe?
But... be advised, if you're going to Disney with family, you're going to be away for three hours for that dive.

Spoiler - we do later in the trip. Yeah, not impressed.

Toldja

I have heard of the strawberry shortcake, and I was tempted, but I was equally tempted by the cupcakes.

They did look good.

Cool! Just shows that anybody can learn something new in a TR.

As for the current round, 1/3 ain't bad...

:sad2:

My darling wife became the expert planner this morning. While they were at Starbucks, she had the brilliant idea to get on the MDE app and see if those missed FP could be changed for later. It turns out they can and she did get both a Soarin’ and LwtL FP for a couple hours later. Shut the front door! Seriously? Did I miss a memo on this? I always though if you missed your FP, it was gone, done. I had no idea you could rescue them in the app and try to reschedule.

I was going to ask why you didn't do this. Good thing your wife figured it out. She totally saved the day!

Our rescued Soarin’ FP was up next. This day continued to turn around, because for our very first Soarin’ Around the World experience we lucked into row B1

The best ::yes::

Finally it was time to go live with the land. I can’t tell you why I have an obsession with this ride. I am not a gardener, nor a farmer. But I was fascinated by this ride on my very first trip when I was 9 years old, and I still am today. I just love it.

I love it too :thumbsup2

You probably already know, but the address on the mailbox is 82, the year Epcot opened.

It's all in the details, and NO I have never noticed this! Thanks for the second tip about something I totally should have known!

By the time we got to Spaceship Earth, I was resigned to the fact that our Soarin’ FP was gone. Son of a Beverly! Our first time to see the new Soarin’ and this happens. Plus the stupid Epcot tiers. :mad: I did realize that I made a mistake with my FP choices. I should have done Nemo or Figment or another throwaway first in case we didn’t make it. Maybe I’m just slow to catch on – it wouldn’t be the first time that’s been the case – but I guess I didn’t have this FP thing down as well as I thought.
The Epcot tiers are SO frustrating!!!

We had never met Joy & Sadness, so we figured that would be a good way to pass the time. The line didn’t seem too bad, and I don’t recall there being any posted wait time. We were in line for a while and it was barely moving. I was worried our FP window would close by the time we were done, so I suggested dropping the meet and just going to LwtL now. Besides me, nobody else was overly excited about LwtL, so we just stayed put. Eventually (and I don’t remember how long, but longer than I had wanted to wait) we did meet Joy & Sadness.
It's a great meet but the line is SLOW! Your picture is cute!

Exiting the Joy & Sadness meet, the line for the Baymax meet is right there. Katie wanted to meet him too and since I was being a big baby non-committal, I agreed to tag along, while Tish and Brianna skipped it to get their Starbucks fix. Of course the Baymax line was also taking longer than I would have liked, but eventually we got though. I found it an awkward meet, not really sure if I should touch him for fear of popping him and sending him flying through Innoventions like a leaky balloon.
i haven't done Baymax yet but he kind of reminds me of a big balloon!

My darling wife became the expert planner this morning. While they were at Starbucks, she had the brilliant idea to get on the MDE app and see if those missed FP could be changed for later. It turns out they can and she did get both a Soarin’ and LwtL FP for a couple hours later. Shut the front door! Seriously? Did I miss a memo on this? I always though if you missed your FP, it was gone, done. I had no idea you could rescue them in the app and try to reschedule.
Oh my gosh! I had no idea....... thank you to Trish!

Finally it was time to go live with the land. I can’t tell you why I have an obsession with this ride. I am not a gardener, nor a farmer. But I was fascinated by this ride on my very first trip when I was 9 years old, and I still am today. I just love it. I also want to live in that farmhouse.
Agreeed! Also my fave and that farmhouse is mine.......:)

Another fab Disney detail!

As per Trip Report Guidelines section 2, subsection 1.4, I am also required to share that photo with you.
Great shot!

ext Update Questions for Fun:

1. We watch Happily Ever After, but we did not stand in The Hub. From where do we watch HEA?

2. During HEA, I have a snack that was new at the time (just debuted this year). What snack?

1. From the back of the castle near Liberty Square.
2. Pineapple upside down cake!
3. Magic carpets with Aladdin??

Hey Jeff! I've just powered through what I missed of your trip report, I enjoyed it so much, your family is precious! I love how much of a real-life Elsa Brianna is :lovestruc

upload_2018-11-12_20-9-31-jpeg.364724

Also your food pictures have made me hungry. Especially those cupcakes in your last update, I had no idea the rose gold Minnie one and the Belle one existed! I hope this day continues to pick up for you following the Disney Funk!! I got this at my trip in January, I actually cried a few tears of frustration when I got a place for the HAE fireworks and someone really tall squeezed their way in front of me at the last minute :rotfl: irrational? us Disney fans?! NEVER :confused:

Next Update Questions for Fun:

Ooh this is fun! I'll have a go!

1. Hmm I'd like to guess the train station at the top of Main Street, but I've seen how quickly it gets full up there, so I'll go with Fantasyland!
2. Oh no, I haven't kept up with new snacks... Can I go vague and guess some sort of ice cream?!
3. Since I don't think you've ridden them yet, I'm thinking Space, Thunder or Splash.. I'll go with Thunder Mountain!

Hey Jeff! I've just powered through what I missed of your trip report, I enjoyed it so much, your family is precious! I love how much of a real-life Elsa Brianna is :lovestruc
Hi Katie! So glad you were able to drop by :) I know you've been busy lately so it means a lot that you were able to catch up on my report.

Ooh this is fun! I'll have a go!

1. Hmm I'd like to guess the train station at the top of Main Street, but I've seen how quickly it gets full up there, so I'll go with Fantasyland!
2. Oh no, I haven't kept up with new snacks... Can I go vague and guess some sort of ice cream?!
3. Since I don't think you've ridden them yet, I'm thinking Space, Thunder or Splash.. I'll go with Thunder Mountain!
I hope you get a chance to answer questions again because you did great - 3 for 3! (I'm being generous and giving you "ice cream" :p)

Sorry, Jeff! I know I had read this before and thought I had commented, but I guess I had just read through it at the time. My bad.

Today marked the halfway point of our trip. It is also the point where the consecutive Disney commando days have worn down my family. Although I would have happily gone for another rope drop, I knew a lie-in and later start was needed.

I'm glad everyone in my family is fully onboard with the Rope Drop mindset. It must be hard to manage when everyone has different ideas.

Definitely no patented @pkondz golden transportation express pass this morning.

I think only one of those exists.

By the time we got to Spaceship Earth, I was resigned to the fact that our Soarin’ FP was gone. Son of a Beverly! Our first time to see the new Soarin’ and this happens. Plus the stupid Epcot tiers. :mad:

I stand with you in your frustration.

I was definitely more on the Sadness side of the spectrum at this point. Our Livin with the Land FP was gone now too. The planner in me was not happy. Nothing had gone right (and by “right” I mean my way) this whole morning.

I'd be in the same mood. Ugh. Two FP's wasted! This is terrible efficiency!

But I came to the unmistakable conclusion that I had developed Disney Funk. Symptoms include repeating the phrases “I don’t care”, “do what you want”, and “that’s fine”, along with involuntary shrugging of the shoulders. Treatment includes riding BTMRR and eating a Dole Whip or something Mickey shaped.

Physician, heal thyself.

Katie wanted to meet him too and since I was being a big baby non-committal, I agreed to tag along, while Tish and Brianna skipped it to get their Starbucks fix.

:laughing: Big Baby Mode: Oh, nice. We skipped all of the rides, but God forbid we skip the Starbucks.

Yeah, I got that sense too. But now I have the mental image of popping him and watching him fly, and I want to see it happen.

Really? Huh. I had no idea. Why don't they tell you these things?

Our rescued Soarin’ FP was up next. This day continued to turn around, because for our very first Soarin’ Around the World experience we lucked into row B1 – front and centre.

That must be the key. It was so bad from the side! Glad you guys enjoyed it.

And none of the sweet tooths (sweet teeth?) in my family will turn down a cupcake.

Congratulations, you are a human being!

Finally it was time to go live with the land. I can’t tell you why I have an obsession with this ride. I am not a gardener, nor a farmer. But I was fascinated by this ride on my very first trip when I was 9 years old, and I still am today.

Because it's science nerdy stuff!:thumbsup2

We figured since we were on this side of the park, we might as well ride Figment just to say we did.

This is the only reason anyone ever rides the Figment ride.

Since I was in the vicinity of both Spaceship Earth and a monorail, I took the obligatory photo. As per Trip Report Guidelines section 2, subsection 1.4, I am also required to share that photo with you.

Great, I'll check that box on my clipboard here.

Hmm....the beach at the Polynesian?

I have no idea. I really don't keep up on the snacks available, being single-mindedly focused on Dole Whips.

Ummm....Big Thunder Mountain Railroad? :rolleyes1

Sorry, Jeff! I know I had read this before and thought I had commented, but I guess I had just read through it at the time. My bad.
No worries at all. I know you've had a rough week. I'm sure I've done the same thing on reports before. For what it's worth, don't ever feel any obligation to read and/or comment - we all have real life to deal with!

I'm glad everyone in my family is fully onboard with the Rope Drop mindset. It must be hard to manage when everyone has different ideas.
Yeah, early mornings are OK for a few days, then they hit a wall.

I think only one of those exists.
Yes, and he will only rent it out at exorbitant rates :sad2:

Big Baby Mode: Oh, nice. We skipped all of the rides, but God forbid we skip the Starbucks.
I don't think they missed Starbucks one day. I never go there. Admittedly I don't drink coffee and I can't justify spending six bucks on a cup of tea I can make at home for 5 cents.

But now I have the mental image of popping him and watching him fly, and I want to see it happen.
It's very tempting. :laughing:

Why don't they tell you these things?
Evil corporate henchmen.

Congratulations, you are a human being!
Really, cupcake vs. broccoli. What are you going to pick?

Because it's science nerdy stuff!:thumbsup2
Truth!

August 22nd – Day 5, Part 2 – The Agony of De Feet

Our story continues on the first monorail ride of our trip, from Epcot to Magic Kingdom. We were enjoying the ride until the point where the skies began chucking buckets once again. We donned our ponchos and dodged it as best we could while transferring train at the TTC. Luckily, it had largely cleared up by the time we got to MK. Not clear enough to allow the Move It, Shake It, Sweat and Spray It Street Party – or whatever it’s called – to proceed though. In its place, we were treated to the rare but endearing Rainy Day Parade. Wow, that music gets in your brain for ages after. If you don’t know it, google with caution. It may get stuck there.

upload_2018-12-13_20-32-14.jpeg

upload_2018-12-13_20-32-28.jpeg

The first order of business was our Jungle Cruise FP, which I had secured while waiting for the monorail at Epcot. We got a new skipper who was “earning her ears” but she was fine. Although there was nothing ground breaking about the ride, I enjoy it and it’s always nice to check that the back side of water still looks similar to the front.

upload_2018-12-13_20-33-5.jpeg

upload_2018-12-13_20-33-17.jpeg

Have you ever driven home and had no recollection of actually driving home? Well, the photos I have and the associated time stamps indicate that we went up to Pete’s Silly Sideshow to meet Goofy and Donald. I can’t tell you why we walked to the opposite side of the park to do this. All I can say is that we meet them and I must have been in a chipper mood because I even have selfies with both of them.

upload_2018-12-13_20-34-1.jpeg upload_2018-12-13_20-34-52.jpeg

upload_2018-12-13_20-35-7.jpeg

upload_2018-12-13_20-35-19.jpeg

Feeling a bit hungry by now, Brianna was in the mood for pasta, so we went over to Pinocchio Village Haus. We all had chicken parmesan, except for Katie who got a pepperoni flatbread. The meals were adequate. Not terrible. Not fantastic. But fine for a QS pasta dish. You’ll be happy to know the salads went mostly uneaten, as any vegetable dish should. I don’t know why they bother to decorate the plate with that stuff. We must have been hungry because there is no photographic evidence. Bad trip reporter.

I should mention that we were visiting near the start of the whole “we’re not giving out plastic disposable straws anymore” phase. Being on the QS dining plan, we got drinks with our meals and often went with the more interesting option, like slush in this case. Well, they all came with Mickey straws, which we collected and brought home in the end – about a dozen of the little suckers. It’s not that I don’t appreciate environmentalism – I try to be as green as I (practically) can – but I have to wonder how we used less plastic taking home a stack of thicker, hard plastic Mickey straws as opposed to thin plastic disposable straws. Anyhoo…rant over.

I was also determined to make use of FP tonight so during supper I checked what was available and got the Magic Carpets for right after. I have never really understood the need for the Magic Carpet ride to be where it is, given that Dumbo is already in MK, but at the same time, we generally take a spin on these anyway. Judging by our group selfie, we must have enjoyed it. Or the girls were making fun of me again for attempting to take a selfie. Either one is plausible.

upload_2018-12-13_20-36-31.jpeg

CONTINUED NEXT POST...

Last edited:
August 22nd – Day 5, Part 2 – The Agony of De Feet continued...

Other than the selfie, I do remember using my phone to grab a set of FP for Pirates in a little while. To pass the time, I suggested something else we had never done, a classic attraction that we had overlooked for too long – The Enchanted Tiki Room. I had actually done this many years ago on an entirely different trip with an entirely different person, back when it was “under new management”. It’s my understanding that that version was a bit of an atrocity and it is fitting that the Iago animatronic is the one that burned in the fire. Anyway, it’s back to the classic and original version now and it was entertaining and a nice little break from the sticky Florida evening.

upload_2018-12-13_20-41-10.jpeg

Feeling nostalgic for “classic Disney” I found it only fitting to grab an iconic Dole Whip after the show. Just FYI, for me it’s a Dole Whip swirl in a cup. No float for me. I like pineapple juice but prefer it mixed with alcohol in a tropical cocktail.

upload_2018-12-13_20-41-42.jpeg

Continuing the classic Disney theme, off we went for our Pirates FP, and caught a pretty impressive sunset on the way in.

upload_2018-12-13_20-42-10.jpeg

This was my first time seeing the new Redhead scene. I can’t say it much better than Mark @Captain_Oblivious did in his TR, but I was fairly neutral about the whole thing. I wasn’t terribly upset it changed, nor was I particularly offended by the old scene. I do have to wonder if the movie franchise had something to do with it. I have heard that Disney wants to “reboot” the franchise without Johnny Depp (given his recent troubles). I wonder if they will take the opportunity to develop Redd (that is her name apparently) into the main protagonist of the rebooted franchise.

upload_2018-12-13_20-43-1.jpeg

upload_2018-12-13_20-43-12.jpeg

In most Pirates ride pictures everyone seems a tad bored in them, but the girls seem a bit scared in this one. Not sure why. Out of interest, we had the first row and we got wet.

It was after 8:00pm by now so there wasn’t much FP left, but I did get some for Barnstormer at 9:15. Happily Ever After would be starting at 9:00 so we planned on seeing that, but this time we would view it differently. My idea was to go to Fantasyland and find somewhere to sit for the show. I’ll have to back up to explain why. Over the last couple days, my darling wife’s feet had been getting bad. I don’t think there are many of us who can say their feet feel great after 5 days of hiking around Disney parks, but with the August heat she was finding it worse than our other spring/fall trips. Her feet had swollen to the point where you couldn’t see her ankles. Long story short, she simply needed a break from walking and standing too long. I knew that Fantasyland would be less crowded and I have read that some people like the different perspective. We settled on one of the ledges around the flower beds, across from Pinocchio Village Haus. It’s always nice to pass the time waiting for fireworks by having a snack. I had read about the new snack at Storybook treats – the Peter Pan Float (Lime Soft-serve, Sprite and a red Chocolate Feather), so I got that for me and I think the girls just had vanilla ice cream cones.

The float was refreshing. The lime ice cream was a little tart, but I enjoyed it. I also enjoyed seeing the fireworks from there. Obviously you miss the projections so I wouldn’t recommend it for your first time seeing HEA, but if you want a more relaxing experience, I say go for it.

upload_2018-12-13_20-44-26.jpeg

upload_2018-12-13_20-44-38.jpeg

The girls and I wanted to stay another hour or two, but Tish wasn’t sure she wanted to stay any longer. She decided to sit for a little while and rest her feet and Brianna stayed with her, while Katie and I went over to Storybook Circus to use the Barnstormer FP. It turned out – likely since this was right after HEA and the crowds were either leaving or hadn’t made it up that far yet – there was no need at all for a FP and we walked right on Barnstormer. It a short little ride, but I still enjoyed it. After getting off, a few people were trickling into the queue, so we figured since we were there we might as well use the FP, so we had a second spin in Goofy’s plane.

Getting back to Fantasyland, Tish decided she would rather go and was fine heading back to the resort herself. The girls and I stayed. The wait times for the headline rides were still a bit long (at 9:40pm) so we took a spin on the Teacups (yes, this was my second ride of the trip on the puke cups so I must have been in a good mood to agree to it).

This night I was determined to correct a travesty that had occurred. It was day 5 of our trip and I had not yet set foot in Frontierland. Shameful. We headed that way and noticed the Haunted Mansion wait time was posted at only 15 minutes. You can’t turn that down. After picking up a hitch hiking ghost, I had my sights set on my favourite ride – Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. But there was a problem – Katie had never been on it. She’s always been timid with roller coasters on previous trips, and had only managed the Barnstormer and 7DMT up to this trip. Slinky Dog Dash changed that, and she was getting braver. She was a bit nervous about BTMRR but agreed to try it. Hooray! I’m happy to report that she loved it.

upload_2018-12-13_20-45-25.jpeg

I enjoy BTMRR any time, but I especially like it at night. I like the lighting, the way the saloon is all lit up on the ride, and the steam at the end has a ghostly Haunted Mansion vibe to it.

We left the park then feeling satisfied, having a great ending to a day that hadn’t started off so well in Epcot that morning.

Answers to last questions:

1. We watch Happily Ever After, but we did not stand in The Hub. From where do we watch HEA? Fantasyland

2. During HEA, I have a snack that was new at the time (just debuted this year). What snack? Peter Pan Float

3. Katie does a ride for the first time. Which ride? BTMRR

Next Update Questions for Fun:

1. Mission 1: ride Test Track at rope drop since we don’t have any FP all trip. Do we ride TT?

2. Mission 2: Meet Princesses! I made a big song and dance at the beginning of this report about trying to meet all 11 official Princesses, and it’s been ages since we met one. Time to catch up! How many Princesses do we meet this morning in Epcot?

3. Mission 3: get a frozen drink that has been on my “to do” list for a while. What drink do I get?

Last edited:
Our story continues on the first monorail ride of our trip, from Epcot to Magic Kingdom.

Love that ride. It's like magic.

We were enjoying the ride until the point where the skies began chucking buckets once again.

Not clear enough to allow the Move It, Shake It, Sweat and Spray It Street Party – or whatever it’s called

I do not care for that parade. I would be just as happy to not see it.

Happier.

I enjoy it and it’s always nice to check that the back side of water still looks similar to the front.

It's a fun little nostalgic ride.

Have you ever driven home and had no recollection of actually driving home?

All. The. Time. :sad2:

Feeling a bit hungry by now, Brianna was in the mood for pasta, so we went over to Pinocchio Village Haus.

I've been inside.... but never eaten there.

The meals were adequate. Not terrible. Not fantastic. But fine for a QS pasta dish.

And now I don't see a need to remedy my not having eaten there.

You’ll be happy to know the salads went mostly uneaten, as any vegetable dish should.

:laughing:

I have to wonder how we used less plastic less plastic taking home a stack of thicker, hard plastic Mickey straws as opposed to thin plastic disposable straws. Anyhoo…rant over.

Hmmm.. are they doing those thicker paper ones?

I have never really understood the need for the Magic Carpet ride to be where it is,

I don't really feel the need for the ride at all.

Seven. Times. In. A. Row.

That's more than enough for a lifetime.

Judging by our group selfie, we must have enjoyed it. Or the girls were making fun of me again for attempting to take a selfie. Either one is plausible.

:) Well, you do look like you're all having fun.

Anyway, it’s back to the classic and original version now and it was entertaining and a nice little break from the sticky Florida evening.

I won't normally bother seeing it. But... it is a nice little break.

Feeling nostalgic for “classic Disney” I found it only fitting to grab an iconic Dole Whip after the show.

Yuss!

Just FYI, for me it’s a Dole Whip swirl in a cup. No float for me. I like pineapple juice but prefer it mixed with alcohol in a tropical cocktail.

I can accept that.
You're still wrong.

But I can accept it.

Wow! Pretty shot!

This was my first time seeing the new Redhead scene. I can’t say it much better than Mark @Captain_Oblivious did in his TR, but I was fairly neutral about the whole thing. I wasn’t terribly upset it changed, nor was I particularly offended by the old scene.

I'm not a fan. Simply because I'm not a fan of changing something classic because it might be considered non-PC now.

I do have to wonder if the movie franchise had something to do with it. I have heard that Disney wants to “reboot” the franchise without Johnny Depp (given his recent troubles). I wonder if they will take the opportunity to develop Redd (that is her name apparently) into the main protagonist of the rebooted franchise.

Kinda what I think too.

but the girls seem a bit scared in this one. Not sure why. Out of interest, we had the first row and we got wet.

I think you answered your own question. Scared? Because they're gonna get wet!

Over the last couple days, my darling wife’s feet had been getting bad. I don’t think there are many of us who can say their feet feel great after 5 days of hiking around Disney parks, but with the August heat she was finding it worse than our other spring/fall trips. Her feet had swollen to the point where you couldn’t see her ankles. Long story short, she simply needed a break from walking and standing too long.

Awww... that's too bad.
Not the first person to be beat by Disney.

I had read about the new snack at Storybook treats – the Peter Pan Float

Oh! I've heard of it too. And want to try it. Love lime. And tart.

I also enjoyed seeing the fireworks from there. Obviously you miss the projections so I wouldn’t recommend it for your first time seeing HEA, but if you want a more relaxing experience, I say go for it.

Actually that's a plus. I don't really care for the projections at the same time as the fireworks. I want to see the fireworks... not bounce back and forth between the castle and the fireworks.

(yes, this was my second ride of the trip on the puke cups so I must have been in a good mood to agree to it).

:laughing: You're made of stronger stuff than I!

This night I was determined to correct a travesty that had occurred. It was day 5 of our trip and I had not yet set foot in Frontierland.

I'm sorry... what??????????

We headed that way and noticed the Haunted Mansion wait time was posted at only 15 minutes. You can’t turn that down.

NO YOU CAN'T!!!

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. But there was a problem – Katie had never been on it. She’s always been timid with roller coasters on previous trips, and had only managed the Barnstormer and 7DMT up to this trip. Slinky Dog Dash changed that, and she was getting braver. She was a bit nervous about BTMRR but agreed to try it. Hooray! I’m happy to report that she loved it.

Great! :goodvibes

I enjoy BTMRR any time, but I especially like it at night.

I need to do that more. I have done it... but so seldom that I can't even remember what it's like.

1. Mission 1: ride Test Track at rope drop since we don’t have any FP all trip. Do we ride TT?

2. Mission 2: Meet Princesses! I made a big song and dance at the beginning of this report about trying to meet all 11 official Princesses, and it’s been ages since we met one. Time to catch up! How many Princesses do we meet this morning in Epcot?

3. Mission 3: get a frozen drink that has been on my “to do” list for a while. What drink do I get?

1. Yes
2. I'll say 2
3. Grey Goose slush!

Jeff I got so incredibly behind, I tried quoting your past posts that I missed a couple times and then got sidetracked, so I'm giving up and just starting from here!

rare but endearing Rainy Day Parade.
I think this is so cute!

You’ll be happy to know the salads went mostly uneaten, as any vegetable dish should. I don’t know why they bother to decorate the plate with that stuff.
Couldn't say it better myself :thumbsup2

I have never really understood the need for the Magic Carpet ride to be where it is, given that Dumbo is already in MK, but at the same time, we generally take a spin on these anyway.
My family doesn't get it either, but every once in awhile they'll ride with me. I just think the views when you go up high are pretty :goodvibes

I also enjoyed seeing the fireworks from there. Obviously you miss the projections so I wouldn’t recommend it for your first time seeing HEA, but if you want a more relaxing experience, I say go for it.
This is our favorite spot to watch! Of course we aren't fans of the projections so those don't matter to us, but otherwise it's normally not crowded, there's a good chance you can get a seat, and you can concentrate on the fireworks.

I'm only guessing this one and I hope it's my Epcot frozen favorite: the grey good slush :drinking1

Happy your day ended on such a good note! Best way to end a day at MK, riding BTMRR in the dark.

We love watching HEA from Fantasy Land, a nice different perspective!

Questions.
1. No it was down
2. 3
3. The slush in France, makes sense if visiting the Princesses in France, otherwise I really don’t know, haha!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter