Texas school attendance policy and cruise dates

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were lucky in that our school district (in Minnesota) allowed us to remove our son from school for a family vacation. We had to give all his teachers about a three weeks notice and the week before we left; find our from each teacher how much homework he would be bring along, how much might need to get done ahead of our trip and what he would have to make up when he got back.

Our school district had one week in November and one in October that had both Thursday and Friday off so we picked one of those weeks to reduce the number of days he would miss. The last vacation we took while he was in school was when he was 15, didn't want to take him out when he was older than that.

Each day we would take some time off from activities to go back to the stateroom for him to get some homework done. And by the time we had to disembark he would have it all done.

I was not being biased based on having a college degree ( which you correctly assumed). Maybe I am biased as I have always been lucky and have the luxury if choice. Now way in heck would I even consider wirking for anyone without 3 weeks at least and then soon 4.

Has nothing to do with education. My dad a UAW assembly worker got after 20 yr 4 weeks paid plus 2 week summer shut down.

Yeah, I've known people with factory jobs who got really good benefits -- my impression is that those kinds of jobs are getting harder to find, but that's really far outside my field so I don't have any personal experience with it. Luxury of choice probably depends on what field you go into and where you live; I chose a career that I find fulfilling and am fortunate enough to be able to live the kind of life I want on my salary, but it's a career that comes with severely limited options for choosing your employer. Even when I was still willing to move across the country for a job (which I wouldn't want to do now that I've put down roots), job offers were few and far between and holding out for more vacation would have meant being unemployed for a very long time.

You stated you were surprised. I explained why to many (most?) teachers this is not a surprising thing. I'm sorry you are offended by that fact or the fact that I commented on that reality of the profession. I said also said nothing about your friend's finances. However, financial reasons have been brought up time and again on this thread and they are pertinent to why many teachers work in the summer.

I hope you are having a pleasant weekend.

I stated that I was surprised that he told me he was glad to have something to occupy his time/keep him busy. If he'd told me it was for financial reasons I would not have been surprised and would not have commented to that effect. As I said, I'm aware of the realities teachers face and had chosen not to bring it up in that particular comment because it wasn't pertinent or appropriate to the point I was making, which was in reply to a teacher talking about their personal feelings regarding year-round versus traditional school schedules.

I live in Texas, and I pull my kids out of school every year for a trip. Truancy no longer has criminal consequences in Texas. I do get a reminder letter every time I pull my kids out, but it's just a standard form letter. As long as your kids don't miss more than 10 days unexcused or more than 10% of the total school year (which is 17-18 days), you will be fine. In my district, kids are allowed to make up work from unexcused absences due to trips.

Truancy no longer has criminal consequences in Texas.
Absolutely not true. Judges are more punitive about truancy than ever. Districts don't send family vacation cases to judges, but the genuine truancy cases that are sent are dealt with firmly.

I'm an elementary school teacher and got the district involved in an attendance issue last year when a family just wasn't sending the child to school consistently (this was not about vacations or illness, just a "school is for when the child feels like it" sort of parenting style). Um, you can get away with that when homeschooling, perhaps, but not when your child is enrolled in public school.

That family changed their ways quickly at the prospect of being taken to court.

Last edited:

I live in Texas, however, my daughter goes to a private school. We have pulled her out several times for 4 or 5 days for cruises. One of the many benefits to a private school, I suppose, is that they are not bound by the attendance = payment system. Fortunately, her school sees the value both in family time and in life experiences outside of the classroom. That said, we do make sure that she meets with each teacher in the weeks leading up to the absence and gets work that she will need to have completed before leaving, including taking finals early if need be (I probably won't do that again during finals week...).

My central Texas school district just changed their calendar for next year to start in mid-August instead of late Aug/early Sept. As a result, junior high DD will miss the first 2 days of school (starting on a Thursday?!) due to our cruise. Excused or not, we aren’t going to change plans that were made 14 months in advance of the trip and 8 months before the district changed the calendar.

I live in Texas, and I pull my kids out of school every year for a trip. Truancy no longer has criminal consequences in Texas. I do get a reminder letter every time I pull my kids out, but it's just a standard form letter. As long as your kids don't miss more than 10 days unexcused or more than 10% of the total school year (which is 17-18 days), you will be fine. In my district, kids are allowed to make up work from unexcused absences due to trips.
I have always wondered why in the world missing school is a criminal offense? Not pass the grade, that I can understand, but criminalizing it???

I can surely understand why people want to do this. All one needs to do is look at a vacation week price vs. a non-vacation week price (sometimes, consecutive weeks!). It drives supply and demand and so it is simple economics - more demand = higher prices, less demand = lower prices.

Absolutely not true. Judges are more punitive about truancy than ever. Districts don't send family vacation cases to judges, but the genuine truancy cases that are sent are dealt with firmly.

I'm an elementary school teacher and got the district involved in an attendance issue last year when a family just wasn't sending the child to school consistently (this was not about vacations or illness, just a "school is for when the child feels like it" sort of parenting style). Um, you can get away with that when homeschooling, perhaps, but not when your child is enrolled in public school.

That family changed their ways quickly at the prospect of being taken to court.

The new law means no more fines or jail time in Texas for truancy: https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/...rrested-truancy-guess-whatthey-still-go-class

I have always wondered why in the world missing school is a criminal offense? Not pass the grade, that I can understand, but criminalizing it???

I can surely understand why people want to do this. All one needs to do is look at a vacation week price vs. a non-vacation week price (sometimes, consecutive weeks!). It drives supply and demand and so it is simple economics - more demand = higher prices, less demand = lower prices.
I would think the only kids skipping school for no reason would be high school kids. That's a problem for the parents to deal with. It's certainly not a criminal offense. A child missing school with parents permission providing they do the work should never be an issue.

M husband is a dept of child services attorney and I am a mandated reporter. For the courts to get involved it takes A LOT. They have to have been missing a certain percentage of school days AND be falling the grade. Take them out and enjoy. We took our own children out of school for vacation a few times and my junior, sophomore, eighth grader and 4th grader will miss 4 days again in a few weeks along with one of my oldest friends who is coming with us. Take them out and have fun.

I would think the only kids skipping school for no reason would be high school kids. That's a problem for the parents to deal with. It's certainly not a criminal offense. A child missing school with parents permission providing they do the work should never be an issue.
Well when you say that's a problem for the parents to deal with...that's a reason I think for my state (not TX) considers truancy (see my previous comment for what counts as truancy) as a Child in Need case.

TBH parents can be a reason their child isn't going to school--be it that they lack actually caring if their child goes to school or not or that they are withholding proper education (as in a form of abuse). At least until the child reaches the age as which they can drop out of high school it is the parent's responsibility that the child goes to school.

If you have a situation where a child isn't going to school (unexcused absence or skipping out early) leaving it solely in the hands of the parent could be the problem itself.

School isn't for everyone. And I think it is pretty obvious at this point that large American public high schools have a lot of reflecting to do. We've had experience in 2 now, and they are bleak places, even when your kid is in all AP classes. Talk about souless institutions. Nothing like the warm, loving private high school I went to as a kid where you were valued as a unique individual. Walt Disney dropped out of high school and I suspect his grade school education was basic at best. So, Walt Disney's parents get fined or thrown in jail by some local judge because he skipped town at 16? Nuts, really. It is important to keep it all in perspective. DH and I both have advanced degrees, so we are school focused. But we also realize that a lot of education is going through the motions. I really think it is none of the government's business when someone goes to school and when someone doesn't. The government would do better making sure kids do not have access to drugs. Every kid I have encountered who is thoroughly messed up has a drug problem of some kind, not just illegal drugs.

Last edited:
School isn't for everyone. And I think it is pretty obvious at this point that large American public high schools have a lot to think about. We've had experience in 2 now, and they are bleak places, even when your kid is in all AP classes. Talk about souless institutions. Nothing like the warm, loving private high school I went to as a kid where you were valued as a unique individual. Walt Disney dropped out of high school and I suspect his grade school education was basic at best. It is important to keep it all in perspective. DH and I both have advanced degrees, so we are school focused. But we also realize that a lot of education is going through the motions. I really think it is none of the government's business when someone goes to school and when someone doesn't. The government would do better making sure kids do not have access to drugs. That will destroy their lives in a way that "skipping school" never will.
No school isn't for everyone and I've mentioned that in the past.

But legally you have an age where you are required to be in school and after that age you can drop out with guardian permission or if you are emancipated or 18 you can do it yourself. There are also non-traditional schools such as alternative schools and e-schools (which is usually free) that provide more tailored learning. Private school can be a route to go depending on financial resources and ability (like scholarship, etc).

In my state you can drop out at age 16 if you have parental/guardian consent.

Some states are too restrictive in terms of the number unexcused absenses for sure and there just needs to be a balance TBH.

We live in Texas (we are not FROM Texas) and our youngest daughter attends Katy ISD. KISD is known as one of the strictest school districts in Texas. When I say that, I mean that I have had our dentists office tell me that the attendance clerk at the high school actually called her to verify that the doctor's note that my daughter (now 21 years old) gave her was legitimate. Yes, you read that correctly.

I am happy to report that we take our youngest out of school for Disney cruises and have for years. We never go over the maximum allowed amount of "hand written parent notes" (I believe this is 10). Regardless of the school's wishes, threats, demands or truancy letters, we vacation with my youngest daughter. I have 6 weeks of paid vacation and my husband has 3 weeks of paid vacation and if it is financially advantagous for us to take a vacation or a cruise and have our daughter miss a few days of school, this is what we do. Usually it coincides with a long weekend or some sort of school holiday vacation and is MUCH cheaper in the "off season" than during the summer or over the holidays. My daughter is not allowed to receive her school work in advance and, unfortunately, has to make it up when we return (so I never tell them in advance that she'll be out-- I used to years ago, but I don't anymore). That is the only part of this post that I feel bad about, but my daughter goes in a bit early or stays at school a bit late and makes up her work. I never feel bad for vacationing with my child and the school not getting their 10 cents (or whatever their reimbursement from the state of Texas is) for her attendance per day.

As a side note, one year, in high school, my 21 year old daughter got mono. I think half of the high school had mono that year. Mono takes its toll on a child even after they're "recovered" from the illness. Sporradically she would miss a day of school and sleep for the entire day (this happened on weekends too). The school attendance clerk would call and threaten me telling me that the school was going to take me to court and tell me that I could be fined $500 per absence and I could even be jailed. During these calls I continued to tell the clerk that I could not possibly physically drag my sick child out of bed and send her to school. I just could not. At some point, my daughter went over her maximum allowed number of days and was sent to truancy court. The Judge had about 20 students in that room that day. He lined them all up and told them that he did not care if they did not go to school. He looked at them and told them that he knows that the school district is all about getting money from the state and that he truly didn't care one bit about the stance of the school district. He told each child that he didn't care if, moving forward, they were absent. Just to please not be absent on consecutive days for the reaminder of the school year.

Two years ago I was sent to Europe for a work related event and we decided to go as a family. We spent 10 days there and my daughter was out of school for 5 school days. Best choice I've ever made. My youngest was able to see where our family originated from and had many other educational opportunities.

I play by the rules, but find that sometimes it's okay to bend or break them.

Well when you say that's a problem for the parents to deal with...that's a reason I think for my state (not TX) considers truancy (see my previous comment for what counts as truancy) as a Child in Need case.

TBH parents can be a reason their child isn't going to school--be it that they lack actually caring if their child goes to school or not or that they are withholding proper education (as in a form of abuse). At least until the child reaches the age as which they can drop out of high school it is the parent's responsibility that the child goes to school.

If you have a situation where a child isn't going to school (unexcused absence or skipping out early) leaving it solely in the hands of the parent could be the problem itself.

Agreed. I'm aware of way too many real life cases of neglectful and/or abusive family situations to assume that all parents will always act in their children's best interests. I agree that some school systems are more strict about attendance than they need to be, but on the other hand repeated absences can be a sign that things aren't right at home, whether because the parents don't care about their child's education or because they're being deliberately abusive. It often takes far too much for authorities to get involved when children are being abused, so I can't say I'm sorry to hear that absences are considered a significant issue worthy of attention.

School isn't for everyone. And I think it is pretty obvious at this point that large American public high schools have a lot of reflecting to do. We've had experience in 2 now, and they are bleak places, even when your kid is in all AP classes. Talk about souless institutions. Nothing like the warm, loving private high school I went to as a kid where you were valued as a unique individual. Walt Disney dropped out of high school and I suspect his grade school education was basic at best. So, Walt Disney's parents get fined or thrown in jail by some local judge because he skipped town at 16? Nuts, really. It is important to keep it all in perspective. DH and I both have advanced degrees, so we are school focused. But we also realize that a lot of education is going through the motions. I really think it is none of the government's business when someone goes to school and when someone doesn't. The government would do better making sure kids do not have access to drugs. Every kid I have encountered who is thoroughly messed up has a drug problem of some kind, not just illegal drugs.

The public high school my older brother attended looked like a prison, and frankly felt like a prison. The public high school I attended was a grand, airy building with brand new science labs, great facilities, attentive teachers -- all the bells and whistles. The difference was that the timing worked out for my parents to open-enroll me to a new school in a much more wealthy neighborhood while they were looking to bolster their numbers in the first few years it was open. More money = better school. That's a fact of life all over this country.

It most likely is a family problem, but you dont penalize the good kids and parent because of a few bad apples. You can't fix everyone's problems.

It most likely is a family problem, but you dont penalize the good kids and parent because of a few bad apples. You can't fix everyone's problems.
Eh..realistically it's how things go-rules get tightened because so and so did this, heck look at how a simple thing of a store policy has tightened over time due to people taking advantage of it.

It's about balances of course. You have requirements generally speaking when you go to work as far as how often you can be out of the office, how often you can take sick time, how often you can take pto time, and when you can take that time as well. Granted some companies, though they are the minority, have unlimited pto usage. Because the expectation you have is you have a job to work and in order to do that you do need to..work.

If a parent wants very little control from the outside then public and certain private schooling is likely not your best route. Instead homeschool, alternative schooling or e-schools are a better route because you can more effectively choose what is best for your child. Unfortunately sometimes people use homeschooling in an abusive way too so other options aren't without their cons too.

Eh..realistically it's how things go-rules get tightened because so and so did this, heck look at how a simple thing of a store policy has tightened over time due to people taking advantage of it.

It's about balances of course. You have requirements generally speaking when you go to work as far as how often you can be out of the office, how often you can take sick time, how often you can take pto time, and when you can take that time as well. Granted some companies, though they are the minority, have unlimited pto usage. Because the expectation you have is you have a job to work and in order to do that you do need to..work.

If a parent wants very little control from the outside then public and certain private schooling is likely not your best route. Instead homeschool, alternative schooling or e-schools are a better route because you can more effectively choose what is best for your child. Unfortunately sometimes people use homeschooling in an abusive way too so other options aren't without their cons too.
There's rules and then there's common sense. Schools seem to lack the later these days.

Whenever these threads pop about the ethics of taking kids out of school for vacation, I always SMH. There’s a lot of misconception about the concept of attendence =money for schools. Yes, schools get X amount of money per student who attends X amount of days in the year. That money is a big part of what funds the PUBLIC school. That’s your resources for providing teachers, desks, and other essentials to give each child a FREE education. Each quarter, us teachers have to sign off on rosters to verify we have seen each child enrolled to us at least once within a certain period of time. As for truancy, that is not a police force put into place to oppress the masses. As previously mentioned, truancy is seen as a warning sign for possible problems at home. Unless your child has missed a lot due to illness and then absent due to quarterly vacations, most districts are not going to do more than a daily phone call alert.

Seriously. Each district is a little different, but your child will be fine missing 5 days of school. Now, it becomes a problem when your child (specifically middle and high) does not immediately follow up with what they missed and submit the work within the approved extension time. As a middle school teacher, the reality of standardized tests, diagnostics, and other unexpected changes to schedules makes lesson planning more than a week or two in advance almost impossible. The advantage the modern student has these days is many schools now have online networks where students can access all the materials used in class from anywhere. An absent student in my class can download the lecture and the assignments, and even submit them, from home the same day. So my pet peeve is the student who asks why they’re failing when they are missing 4 assignments and their response is “well I was absent” and it’s now 3 weeks later.

I cannot afford school break prices on most cruise lines. So I save my days for an off-season sailing and pray I don’t get sick. The life lesson your child can learn from missing school is not just the life experience where you’re going, but the lesson of covering responsibilities missed as result.

Whenever these threads pop about the ethics of taking kids out of school for vacation, I always SMH. There’s a lot of misconception about the concept of attendence =money for schools. Yes, schools get X amount of money per student who attends X amount of days in the year. That money is a big part of what funds the PUBLIC school. That’s your resources for providing teachers, desks, and other essentials to give each child a FREE education.

First off, much thanks for being a teacher. It can be a thankless job, but made great by the people in it. However, I do want to take one teeny exception to your comment. No one gets a free education. If it was free, I wouldn't have to pay property taxes, state income tax, and 10% sales tax, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter