Thank You For Your Service (film)

Mackenzie Click-Mickelson

Chugging along the path of life
So tonight we had the opportunity to see a complimentary screening of 'Thank You for Your Service' film via a movie promotion (for me it was through my AMC Stubs Premiere membership) that is to be released on October 28th. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2776878/?ref_=nv_sr_1

The film is actually based on the book of the same name by David Finkel which is in turn a sequel to his book 'The Good Soldiers'. Both books are biographies about real people during the current war we are in. In 'The Good Soldiers' he shadowed an Infantry Battalion in Baghdad and 'Thank You for Your Service' he followed a few of those soldiers home.

I thought I'd share a few thoughts since from time to time fellow DISers share their recommendations on movies. My intent is not to get political at all but simply to share a movie recommendation.

We didn't know going in that the location it would be based on on our area so that was interesting and from the reactions of those in the theater they were caught just as much off guard as I was. I'd be lying if I didn't say that didn't make the subject matter hit more home for me and added an additional layer of awareness.

There was some triggers in there including dog fighting, a few war scenes, ptsd/flashback consequences, suicide, etc.

'American Sniper' dealt with this topic as well (meaning how you adjust to life when you're back home) but 'Thank You for Your Service' also delves into VA issues such as waiting periods to get helped and help in general, suicide as well as pressures some military members may receive from other military members to stay in the service, drug usage, etc. A large portion of the film was devoted to consequences of wartime in the physical (including brain injuries) and mental (memory issues, ptsd issues, guilt, etc) ways. These are things that seem to be getting more attention (and rightfully so) from the general public or at least things that weren't talked about openly previously.

I enjoyed the movie and so did my husband. We both thought 'American Sniper' is a good movie but so is 'Thank You for Your Service' I think both are worth seeing.

So tonight we had the opportunity to see a complimentary screening of 'Thank You for Your Service' film via a movie promotion (for me it was through my AMC Stubs Premiere membership) that is to be released on October 28th. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2776878/?ref_=nv_sr_1

The film is actually based on the book of the same name by David Finkel which is in turn a sequel to his book 'The Good Soldiers'. Both books are biographies about real people during the current war we are in. In 'The Good Soldiers' he shadowed an Infantry Battalion in Baghdad and 'Thank You for Your Service' he followed a few of those soldiers home.

I thought I'd share a few thoughts since from time to time fellow DISers share their recommendations on movies. My intent is not to get political at all but simply to share a movie recommendation.

We didn't know going in that the location it would be based on on our area so that was interesting and from the reactions of those in the theater they were caught just as much off guard as I was. I'd be lying if I didn't say that didn't make the subject matter hit more home for me and added an additional layer of awareness.

There was some triggers in there including dog fighting, a few war scenes, ptsd/flashback consequences, suicide, etc.

'American Sniper' dealt with this topic as well (meaning how you adjust to life when you're back home) but 'Thank You for Your Service' also delves into VA issues such as waiting periods to get helped and help in general, suicide as well as pressures some military members may receive from other military members to stay in the service, drug usage, etc. A large portion of the film was devoted to consequences of wartime in the physical (including brain injuries) and mental (memory issues, ptsd issues, guilt, etc) ways. These are things that seem to be getting more attention (and rightfully so) from the general public or at least things that weren't talked about openly previously.

I enjoyed the movie and so did my husband. We both thought 'American Sniper' is a good movie but so is 'Thank You for Your Service' I think both are worth seeing.

I think the location where a movie is screened is very important. I went to see a movie called The Front here in NY. When it got to a specific scene everyone cheered in the theater. Then I saw the movie again on a Kibbutz in Israel. When it got to that same scene, totally quiet. I learned how experience and culture plays a big role in different parts of the world.

I think the location where a movie is screened is very important. I went to see a movie called The Front here in NY. When it got to a specific scene everyone cheered in the theater. Then I saw the movie again on a Kibbutz in Israel. When it got to that same scene, totally quiet. I learned how experience and culture plays a big role in different parts of the world.
True true. I remember when the movie 'Moneyball' came out. The climax of the movie was a match up was with my hometeam. Even though in real life it had already occurred you could tell people in the theater rooting on our hometeam so to speak. I doubt that would be the case elsewhere even in the U.S and likely even moreso internationally. It does have an effect at least in my experience.

It looks like its a really good movie. This movie is definitely one I’m going to watch. I watch a lot of movies since I got movie pass. Even if I didn’t have movie pass I will still definitely watch this one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts