Thanksgiving day crowds, despite the rain, pics + park map offer)

And with the proper rain attire? You can have so much fun! The difference is like night and day! I know we keep saying it, but we can't make people believe it... until they either learn the hard way or experience the amazing difference for themselves.
For example, we rode IASWH and exited the ride building into a traffic jam and a downpour (not uncommon on rainy nights with this ride). We were prepared with our raincoats, rain pants, and rain boots -- warm and totally dry the whole time, just singing along to the ride song, even while water was filling the bottom of the boat. Everyone else in the boat? Let's just say that it wasn't exactly the happiest cruise that ever sailed for them. They got drenched. :(

So would you reccomend rain jackets and rain pants over ponchos? How about for kids?

So would you reccomend rain jackets and rain pants over ponchos? How about for kids?
By "over" do you mean "instead of"? If so, yes. As a pp said, there were times when the rain was blowing sideways -- a poncho can't really stand up to that kind of weather for long. And a poncho won't keep you warm -- it doesn't have the insulation. We have rain jackets/coats (depends on the intensity of the storm), rain pants, and rain shoes instead of ponchos (which are too flimsy and not warm enough to keep us going all day until closing in the parks). This was a major winter storm for Southern CA -- no way a poncho would have kept us warm or dry for hours in the parks. Our outerwear is waterproof, windproof (important when the storm is cold!), and breathable (so we don't overheat or get clammy, then chilled). Plus, our rain jackets and coats have lots of pockets, which means we can carry what we need on us within easy reach. I can keep my purse inside my coat, just keeping what I need to access often in my outer pockets, so my purse stays dry and I stay warm because I don't need to open my jacket or coat frequently.
For kids, look at post #32 in this thread: Can we chat rain?. That is a great example of good outerwear at work keeping a kid dry, warm, and happy all day in the parks. (And the parents have good outerwear, too.) If you add rain pants to what that kid was wearing, you end up with an almost weatherproof outfit that can keep a kid dry and warm on rides, eating outside, and stomping through puddles.

Last edited:

We were there also, but we knew a week ahead about the weather and packed accordingly. I was pretty much in what could be described best as “full snowboarding gear” with waterproof shoes/wool socks, that made all the difference.

I also switched my usual small backpack to a waterproof boat bag.

Being able to cinch your pants/rain jacket or shell to keep water out is also essential.

I saw so many people in tennis shoes and jeans I felt really sad for them. Even if you manage to stay inside/out of the rain, if you weren’t wearing waterproof pants, you were just going to sit in water...even on an indoor ride from water coming off of guests onto the seat.

We had a lot of fun, though. Dumbo was a walk-on and HM was a quick 20-30mins standby (easily triple on a fair weather Thanksgiving). It felt more crowded though, probably from weather (being bundled up) and folks not being able to change plans. The lobby at GCH was super packed all the time.

We were there for Thanksgiving for 7am early entry in DL. The morning rain was not that bad. I had a proper rain jacket and some water 'resistant' boots but the rest of the family toughed it out in ponchos and normal footwear. We took a break in the early afternoon and threw our wet clothes in a dryer for bit, got some dry socks and had a late Thanksgiving lunch at Goofy's Kitchen before heading out again in the early evening. The rain was a lot worse, more of a sideways rain and I quickly realized the difference between water resistant and waterproof footwear lol. We definitely got wet and were cold but the break helped and around 7 PM or so the rain did stop for a bit and the park was empty and LOVELY. Totally worth being a little cold and wet. We walked on so many rides and waited about 20 minutes for the Millennium Falcon ride! It was the best night we've had at the parks in a long time!

Next time, I think we will definitely invest in better rain protection for our feet though. Lots of the outside rides had pooling water, especially the Matterhorn and IASW.

By "over" do you mean "instead of"? If so, yes. As a pp said, there were times when the rain was blowing sideways -- a poncho can't really stand up to that kind of weather for long. And a poncho won't keep you warm -- it doesn't have the insulation. We have rain jackets/coats (depends on the intensity of the storm), rain pants, and rain shoes instead of ponchos (which are too flimsy and not warm enough to keep us going all day until closing in the parks). This was a major winter storm for Southern CA -- no way a poncho would have kept us warm or dry for hours in the parks. Our outerwear is waterproof, windproof (important when the storm is cold!), and breathable (so we don't overheat or get clammy, then chilled). Plus, our rain jackets and coats have lots of pockets, which means we can carry what we need on us within easy reach. I can keep my purse inside my coat, just keeping what I need to access often in my outer pockets, so my purse stays dry and I stay warm because I don't need to open my jacket or coat frequently.
For kids, look at post #32 in this thread: Can we chat rain?. That is a great example of good outerwear at work keeping a kid dry, warm, and happy all day in the parks. (And the parents have good outerwear, too.) If you add rain pants to what that kid was wearing, you end up with an almost weatherproof outfit that can keep a kid dry and warm on rides, eating outside, and stomping through puddles.

Thanks for this. Will definitely do waterproof jackets and shoes.

Do you think waterproof pants are necessary, or is water resistent sufficient?

Thanks for this. Will definitely do waterproof jackets and shoes.

Do you think waterproof pants are necessary, or is water resistent sufficient?
I would ask you how wet you are willing to be -- some (water resistant) or none (waterproof)? There is no right or wrong answer -- it's all up to your comfort level with being wet and cold. We are not comfortable with that at all, certainly not while in the parks, so we chose to invest in waterproof gear. Hasn't failed us yet.

Did they have the parade during the rain?
Parades get cancelled if it rains -- character costumes can't get wet. Character M&Gs will move indoors, if possible. Look for them inside shops and lobbies. If it stops raining long enough, there can be a character cavalcade (i.e. characters riding the parade route in the Main Street vehicles).

I feel like “water resistant” is an excuse for a company to make an inferior product, and if someone complains, they can point to “resistant” and say it was the weather/user’s fault 😂😂

I was hoping you would all say the ponchos would suffice! This is part of a multi-stop trip, and we are packing for 4 people (2 adults and 2 kids) for 2 climates

I was hoping you would all say the ponchos would suffice! This is part of a multi-stop trip, and we are packing for 4 people (2 adults and 2 kids) for 2 climates

if space is an issue, at minimum pack a) a lightweight rain shell w/hood and b) rain pants.
I advocate for full waterproof shoes/boots, but there are covers you can buy for shoes (I can’t vouch for them). If you’re really strapped for space, water resistant shoes with wool/wicking socks and frequent changes is your next best option.

Not sure if this will help, but if the weather forecast shows rain, my plan was to place an order for rain pants and shoe covers 2 days before my trip and have it sent directly to the hotel. I have a few disposable Japanese rain jackets that are heavier duty than standard ponchos, but only cost about $3 each. They were purchased at Daiso if you have one near you. There are a couple in SoCal, but you'd need a car to get there.

We arrived at DL about 3pm on Thanksgiving. We found the rides pretty much walk on (is was very wet!) and didn't feel crowded at all. Friday, parks were fairly crowded, but doable. Saturday was surprised at how light the crowds were. We did leave early Sunday to avoid the mess of the drive home.

I feel like “water resistant” is an excuse for a company to make an inferior product, and if someone complains, they can point to “resistant” and say it was the weather/user’s fault 😂😂
"Water resistant" works great for getting from the car to the office building, from the car to the supermarket and back, from the house to the car, etc. It isn't meant for "all day and into the night at a theme park in a rain storm." Many people who try that out learn the first time that resistant ≠ proof!

Last edited:
We have waterproof and windproof (Gore-Tex) jackets that pack up into a pocket. The rain pants (Columbia) are very lightweight and roll up small. Both the jacket and the pants can pack up/roll up and fit together with a pair of wool socks into a gallon zip-loc bag. That's not a lot of packing space for something that works as a basic jacket, works as a rain jacket, and can keep you dry on water rides and in rain storms. Just hang them up to dry out completely overnight in the hotel and you'll be good to go the next morning. Good outerwear doesn't have to be bulky or cumbersome -- in fact, it's easier for the parks if it isn't.
Ponchos can totally suffice if you're willing to risk being wet and cold -- you might end up being fine and not minding that. People in this thread who aren't fine with that are just sharing their experience with proven gear that works for them.

We have waterproof and windproof (Gore-Tex) jackets that pack up into a pocket. The rain pants (Columbia) are very lightweight and roll up small. Both the jacket and the pants can pack up/roll up and fit together with a pair of wool socks into a gallon zip-loc bag. That's not a lot of packing space for something that works as a basic jacket, works as a rain jacket, and can keep you dry on water rides and in rain storms. Just hang them up to dry out completely overnight in the hotel and you'll be good to go the next morning. Good outerwear doesn't have to be bulky or cumbersome -- in fact, it's easier for the parks if it isn't.
Ponchos can totally suffice if you're willing to risk being wet and cold -- you might end up being fine and not minding that. People in this thread who aren't fine with that are just sharing their experience with proven gear that works for them.

Thanks so much for that feedback. Will look for jackets and trousers that roll or pack away.

We arrived at DL about 3pm on Thanksgiving. We found the rides pretty much walk on (is was very wet!) and didn't feel crowded at all. Friday, parks were fairly crowded, but doable. Saturday was surprised at how light the crowds were. We did leave early Sunday to avoid the mess of the drive home.
How was the DLH buffet this year? And how did it compare with previous years? Hope you had a good Thanksgiving!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts