That is NOT very magical!! A Nov 2014 Baby's First Trip *NEW 03/10/18!*

Hi Krysten! Sorry I missed the start but I'm here now. I totally understand not having a lot of Dis-time, so I'm just going to subscribe for whenever you do get some time to update!

Hi Krysten! Sorry I missed the start but I'm here now. I totally understand not having a lot of Dis-time, so I'm just going to subscribe for whenever you do get some time to update!

Thanks Wendy. I'm not sure I'll ever get this done. I hope that you are doing well!

I can't believe that I haven't updated in so long! I hope that everything is going well for everyone and you have some wonderful trip plans in the works!

I haven't been on the boards lately for a few reasons. I am super busy lately. Working part time, helping my mom in her daycare part time, little Evelyn, I've started a new home based business doing paper crafting and card making, and well just life! But this trip also left a bit of a bad taste in our mouths and I'm kind of sad about it. Disney World was always our happy place and my mom has no plans of going back and she always had new plans before her trips even ended. We won't be planning a trip any time soon, but that has more to do with financial stuff because we are trying to pay off our student loans and things and buy a new house, so that has to take priority right now.

So I'm hoping to come back and work on writing this report to remember all of the good times we had during that trip!

Again, I hope that you are all doing well, and hopefully it isn't going to be months before I get another update in!

Krysten, we've missed you. I hope Evelyn is doing well. I'm sorry that your trip left a bad taste in your mouth. This makes me very sad.

Hey girl! I know it's been forever since I've responded! Evelyn is adorable by the way! I'm sorry this trip left a bad taste in your mouth. We had moments like that from our honeymoon. I would definitely recommend emailing Disney about it. I got a phone call a week after so I could let them know why I was so unhappy with our experience. I feel, as Disney Addicts, when we have an unmagical time Disney needs to know about it. I'm about to start a pre-trip report of my own and I'll be rereading yours since we'll be taking our baby along with us! I'd love to hear how yours went with Evelyn!

So I've said this before, 2 or 3 times now but I'm sorry I disappeared! Life has really been interesting the last few years!

I have been working at a new job since June, and it has been busy but awesome. And it is allowing us to start planning another trip!!

I have all of my photos from this trip finally uploaded so I think that this time the conditions are finally right for me to actually update this report. I know that when we were planning this trip I loved reading reports from other people who went with young children, so I hope that this report will provide some insight for someone in that same situation.

If anyone reads DLR trip reports, I have started a new report on the DL boards because that is where we decided to go next!! I will put a link in my signature in case anyone is interested in reading :)

Hi Krysten! It was so good to see a notification that you'd posted today. I will definitely go check out your DL PTR. I cannot believe your little E is already 2 years old. (According to your signature.) It seems like just yesterday you were pregnant with her.

Okay so I have a couple of days off this week and I'm going to make the most of that time by doing some fun and relaxing things.

*Boring update alert* This is the beginning of the trip and there is only 1 picture, sorry! It will get better, I promise :D

Going through these pictures, I can't believe how small E looks! Kids really do grow too fast, you just don't fully understand it until it's happening to you. Anyway, on to the update!

As usual, I started packing for this trip super early (especially easy to do if we are going on a trip when it is winter time here) it is so easy to keep my suitcases in my craft room and just toss things in them that I know we won't be using before the trip.

E was a great help with the packing, and even has her own little Minnie Mouse suitcase!
ry%3D400

Things seemed to be going well. Packing was progressing early. Our plans were all set and reservations made. My family had all left for the trip before us (to drive down) and they had made it down to Florida safe and sound. I was experiencing a ridiculous amount of excitement. I had always imagined my first time taking my own children to WDW, and everything was shaping up beautifully.

We had plans to stay overnight at the airport hotel and were going to leave home as soon as M was finished work. That morning (November 11th) while I was trying to do all of the last minute things that we needed to do, my stomach started feeling a little funny. Now I will give a little bit of background here. I have clinical anxiety and bipolar disorder that I am on medication and in therapy for. So even in a situation like a vacation that is very happy, I can get really high levels of anxiety. And frequently when people experience high levels of anxiety, they get some form of physical symptoms - in my case my stomach is one of the first thing to acts up. So I assumed that is what was happening to me. I tried to just relax, thing about the happy things, and I even took some extra medication when those things weren't working to bring my anxiety down.

As the day progressed, I was feeling worse and worse. I'll spare the details here but I was becoming weak and dehydrated. In the late afternoon, I could barely get myself up from the floor. So I had my mother-in-law come by to watch E and my dad drove me to the hospital because there was no way I was in any shape to drive. This was so upsetting to have to do, but I started to think that something else was wrong with me, and I couldn't travel in that condition.

My dad and I spent almost 12 hours in the hospital. They ran a bunch of tests and the doctor thought that I had somehow contracted c-difficile because nothing else made sense. After being on fluids for a while I started to feel much better. When I left the hospital, I still didn't have a definite answer about what was wrong with me. The test for c-diff takes a couple of days to come back and the doctor had nothing else. She gave me some medication for it anyway, said to start taking it to start feeling better and said it was up to me whether I wanted to travel or not. It's not really easy to spread c-difficule as long as you are diligent with hygiene. I really wanted to go on our trip, but I didn't want to go if I wasn't feeling well, and I didn't want to put anyone else at risk.

I got home from the hospital at about 3 in the morning. Physically I was feeling much better, but mentally I felt awful. I am not good with stomach illnesses and I was afraid that I was going to pass this on to E. I also felt so bad for ruining my family's vacation.

Obviously, because there is a TR, this was NOT the end of our vacation, but I'll leave it here for now and you can guess what ended up happening ;)

Hi Krysten! It was so good to see a notification that you'd posted today. I will definitely go check out your DL PTR. I cannot believe your little E is already 2 years old. (According to your signature.) It seems like just yesterday you were pregnant with her.

So good to hear from you!! E is 2 already, and I cannot believe it. It goes by so fast, but I am sure you know all about that! I see that you are a family of 4 now, congratulations!! I think I remember reading that you were expecting again but baby hadn't been born last time I was on. I will stop by and check out your newest reports :)

Happy Weekend everyone!!

I just updated the other day but I'm home just relaxing this weekend so I figured it's a great time to add some more to this report... and well the last update really wasn't that exciting.

So we left off with me coming home from the hospital and feeling horrible for ruining our trip...

November 12th, 2014

I woke up this morning feeling sad that we should have been almost to Florida already, but feeling 100% better physically. I had gotten some rest, my stomach wasn't upset anymore and I felt like I had more energy. I kept thinking that there is no way that I could have had c-diff because if I did, I would not have bounced back so quickly. We had some breakfast and I still felt great so we got talking about our options. Why waste all of that money we had spent on this trip and lose out on some great memories if I was feeling fine now?

I'll skip all of the back and forth that went on and say that in the end, we decided to book another flight for that afternoon and enjoy the rest of our trip!

It was a bit fast and furious but we made it happen. I went online to check out flights, and we had everything already packed, so we just had to toss in the last minute stuff, and then we headed out the door for the airport. We booked the first flight that we could make it to, in hopes of getting more time in Disney World. So we had no time to waste to get ourselves there on time.

I think Evelyn was a little bit confused about why all of the rushing was going on!
ry%3D400

I got her loaded into the car while DH got the rest of our bags.

ry%3D400

This picture is hilarious - she looks so suspicious...
ry%3D400

This one is better... happy to be on her way to our first family vacation!
ry%3D400

It takes about 40 minutes to get from our house to the airport, and our drive there that day was pretty uneventful, which I was very grateful for because we didn't need any more excitement!

Our trip through the airport was also easy. We parked the car, went through security and got to our gate with plenty of time to spare. For anyone going with a baby, I took our TULA baby carrier with us and was able to wear E the entire time. It made everything so easy! She loves being worn so it kept her happy and calm as we moved along and left my hands free for the things that I needed to do.

So I took some photos, reorganized the bag, and relaxed a little while we waited for our plane.

DH and E at the gate waiting
ry%3D400

Because we booked this flight so last minute we ended up with boarding passes in the last group BUT because we had E with us we were able to board with the family boarding in between groups A and B. I was really thankful for that!

We boarded the plane and found our seats...
ry%3D400

Don't worry, she didn't actually sit there!! I just put her down on the seat while we organized our bags and got comfortable. She really enjoyed looking around at her new surroundings!

ry%3D400

Ev flew as a lap baby and it worked out really well. She fell asleep on me before the plane even took off and stayed asleep for over half the flight. That sure made flying with a baby much easier! I was so worried about how she would be in such a tight space and whether her ears would hurt but she was an absolute champ!

After she woke up we looked out the window, read some of her books, had a snack, and had some silly time.
ry%3D400

She took a turn sitting with DH and had some milk
ry%3D400

She seems to be enjoying it! I was also worried about this because I had been breastfeeding her but had to take some time off because of the medication that they gave me at the hospital. I wasn't sure how she would do switching to full time formula. She had to be supplemented with it because of weight gain and reflux issues but she didn't really like to drink it, so I was just hoping that she would drink it without too much of a fuss now that it was her only option.

A couple of cloud pictures, it was pretty cloudy that day!
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Our flight was smooth and on time so before we knew it, we were landing in Orlando!

Evelyn took the time to get her mouse ears on once we landed
ry%3D400

We took the fake monorail to get to DME

ry%3D400

I sat Evelyn on one of the DME seats just to get a picture of her before the bus left
ry%3D400

We had finally made it to Orlando, and were on our way to our resort!!!

Very glad to see you started this back up again! And right with an update with a cliff-hanger - you are a trip report pro! ;)

I know what you mean about how fast the kids grow. You don't always notice it day to day but when you look back at photos even a few months old they can look like totally different people

Wow - that is scary, and to have to go to the hospital right before a trip like that! Glad things worked out (like yous said, there is a trip report after all ... and if that was the last post I figure you would have spent a little more time focusing on the hospital ... the light fixtures, looking for hidden mickeys in the way the pill bottles were arranged, etc.)

Glad you felt up to going - sometimes just making a decision, whatever it is, can make you feel better! Also glad that things were smooth at the airport - definitely easier when you can wear the infant the entire time!

Yeah for a smooth flight! Definitely just an unknown how any individual child will do with a flight, but sounds like E did great!

Those are cute "ears" she has!

Very glad to see you started this back up again! And right with an update with a cliff-hanger - you are a trip report pro! ;)

I know what you mean about how fast the kids grow. You don't always notice it day to day but when you look back at photos even a few months old they can look like totally different people

Wow - that is scary, and to have to go to the hospital right before a trip like that! Glad things worked out (like yous said, there is a trip report after all ... and if that was the last post I figure you would have spent a little more time focusing on the hospital ... the light fixtures, looking for hidden mickeys in the way the pill bottles were arranged, etc.)

Glad you felt up to going - sometimes just making a decision, whatever it is, can make you feel better! Also glad that things were smooth at the airport - definitely easier when you can wear the infant the entire time!

Yeah for a smooth flight! Definitely just an unknown how any individual child will do with a flight, but sounds like E did great!

Those are cute "ears" she has!

Thank you! It is so true about them growing, you don't always notice it day to day, but looking back at pictures from a month ago can make a huge difference.

It all was kind of scary but I was very lucky in the end and got to not only leave the hospital but also go on my vacation!

I bought E those ears at our local disney store before she was born, when we first found out that we were having a girl. I saw them and knew that I needed to buy them!

Evelyn is adorable. Looking forward to reading more about your trip.

:welcome: Thank you for joining in and for your kind words. I hope you enjoy the report!

Happy Weekend!! It's a long weekend here in Ontario, and we are under extreme cold warnings, so it's a relax inside kind of weekend. What better thing to do on a cold winter weekend than go through pictures from a nice warm vacation?

So we left off when we were getting on our DME bus...

Thursday, November 13th - Part 3
The DME employees were great and kept waving to Evelyn and saying how cute she was (who were we to argue with that??) Luckily, we didn't have to wait in line too long for our bus, and everyone loaded up and we got moving very quickly.

Evelyn continued to impress me with how well behaved she was. I mean she was only 9 months old, and it had been a really long day filled with new places and sights, less sleep than usual, and without the comforts of home that she was used to. I was prepared for some full-on baby meltdowns, but I wasn't going to complain with the lack of them!! She had some more milk and a snack on the bus and was very excited and talking up a storm.

Our resort was the last stop that our bus had to make that night, so Evelyn was starting to get a little fussy by the time we arrived. It was getting past the time when she needed some actual dinner, so snacks weren't going to cut it anymore.

It was a little after 6pm when we got to AKL, and I don't think I can adequately describe the feelings I had walking through those doors and hearing "welcome home!" I had stayed at AKL once previously and loved the resort much more than I thought I would - it is now pretty high on my list of favourites. So the fact that we were finally there after having such a rough and crazy start to our trip filled my heart with joy and maybe a tear or two in my eyes.

We had made a couple requests on our room reservation - one of them being a room that was close to the lobby. I wanted to be close since we had a baby, it would be nice to not have to walk a mile back to our room every night when she would be tired and cranky. And being close would also be convenient for any quick stops we needed to make to the store.... Let's just say that request didn't exactly pan out.

We checked in and got our room number and started walking...and walking...and walking. We were the very last room at the end of the hall. We couldn't be further from the lobby unless we stayed at another resort. I was a little bit annoyed that our room was the exact opposite of my request but I just reminded myself that we almost didn't even make it on the trip in the first place so I should just be thankful that we were there at all. This positive thinking would help me out several times over the course of the trip.

I phoned my mom to let her know that we had arrived safely and told her how to find our room. My extended family was stopping by to bring the things that they had brought down in the car - Evelyn's playpen, a case of water, things like that.

While we waited, we looked out our balcony to examine our Savannah view and we saw some animals right away!! It was such a beautiful night and Evelyn loved being able to see the animals so close.

I also took some photos...
ry%3D400

Such a happy girl!

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

And I took a few photos around the room before we put all of our stuff down.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Not long after, my family all arrived and it was exactly what a family trip should be like. We all had huge smiles on our faces and hugs were being given out faster than we could count them. The whole group of us was just so happy to be together on this vacation.

My mom had ordered a Disney Florist package for Evelyn, but had it brought to their resort when they thought that we weren't going to make it. So E had herself a little gift to open when the family arrived. It was a really cute little package with a blanket (embroidered with her name and a Mickey head), a Santa Mickey hat, a little plush Minnie Mouse, and it was all Christmas themed. I would definitely recommend these!

Trying on her Santa Mickey hat!
ry%3D400

She found Minnie Mouse!
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

I'm a little upset that this one turned out blurry because it was such a cute moment. She was so thrilled to have this Minnie Mouse stuffy and she was kissing and hugging it. My heart was so full and happy!
ry%3D400

Everyone took turns looking out the balcony and viewing the animals and then my family all headed back to their resort. It was a long day for all of us so some sleep was definitely in order!

But before DH and I could get any sleep we needed some food! My mom had brought some food for E so she ate, but DH and I were starving. He walked over to Jambo House to grab something for the two of us while I got E settled for bed. I don't have it written in my notes what we ate and I cannot remember for the life of me right now. I want to think we just had a sandwich or something.

Evelyn went down really easily and was asleep in her playpen by about 8:30pm. I laid down that night with a smile on my face and happiness in my heart. We were finally on our big vacation, taking our daughter to WDW for the first time, and I was so thankful.

Up Next... our first day at the parks!

Yay! Arrival day! I'm so glad you're writing about this trip, it's so wonderful to hear about your arrival and see Evelyn's reaction to her first stay at a Disney resort. Those photos of her with her plush Minnie are just too cute!

I'm happy to hear you all had a relaxing and enjoyable evening taking it easy in the room. Perfect way to wind down after a day of traveling (and the hospital situation!). But what a bummer about the room request not panning through. I can't believe they not only didn't give you that request, but instead did the exact opposite!

Glad that Evelyn was so good on the trip. While it certainly makes sense to "plan for the worst" I think sometimes kids can adapt faster than we give them credit for.

Bummer about the room being so far away. I get it that they can't always give you your request, but if you wanted to be close to the lobby there had to be something not that far away. Glad you were able to keep up a positive attitude though!

Very cute picture of E with the little Minnie! :thumbsup2

Joining in!

:welcome: Thank you for joining in!

Yay! Arrival day! I'm so glad you're writing about this trip, it's so wonderful to hear about your arrival and see Evelyn's reaction to her first stay at a Disney resort. Those photos of her with her plush Minnie are just too cute!

I'm happy to hear you all had a relaxing and enjoyable evening taking it easy in the room. Perfect way to wind down after a day of traveling (and the hospital situation!). But what a bummer about the room request not panning through. I can't believe they not only didn't give you that request, but instead did the exact opposite!

It was such an amazing feeling to finally be there and be with the family after that scare.

I'm not totally shocked about not getting the request, but I am really surprised that they gave us the complete opposite of the request. In the end it worked out okay, but it sure was a long walk some days!

Glad that Evelyn was so good on the trip. While it certainly makes sense to "plan for the worst" I think sometimes kids can adapt faster than we give them credit for.

Bummer about the room being so far away. I get it that they can't always give you your request, but if you wanted to be close to the lobby there had to be something not that far away. Glad you were able to keep up a positive attitude though!

Very cute picture of E with the little Minnie! :thumbsup2

I think you're probably right about that one, but Evelyn is my first and that was her first real travel experience so I had no idea what to expect and prepared myself for the worse lol

I agree about the request. I'm not one to throw a fit about not getting exactly what I wanted, but getting the exact opposite of the request was a bit frustrating.

Glad to see you back and updating!

What a scary incident with needing to go to the hospital right before your trip. Glad you recovered quickly.

Happy to hear that E travelled so well.

We love AKL - such a great resort. There are some LONG hallways there, though.

I will check out your DLR PTR too - we just got back from there.

Following along! Your little girl is absolutely adorable. I'm always curious how WDW trips go with little ones for the future so interested to hear more. And excited to hear about your stay at AKL... Hoping to stay there in April 2017!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter