that's not funny!

tater bug

<font color=red>knee deep in the hoopla<br><font c
I'm sitting here at work with the TV on when all of a sudden the Emergency Broadcast System breaks in on the program and starts beeping...with my heart in my throat wondering what in the world is going on now I walk into the room with the TV and there is a message scrolling across the top that says basically it is a test of the EBS! Why not do it during a commercial break?!?!? In this day and time that is NOT funny!

It really isn't funny because I've become so used to the tests I don't even pay attention any more. I hope there's never a real emergency, I will miss it :(

Be thankful you are still here to hear the EBS:rolleyes:

If something did happen you may not be.;)

Steve

They have to test the EBS. What if it were a real emergency and the EBS system was down?

It's a minor inconvenience for something that can save lives

NO TEST.............

MARTIANS ARE INVADING BOSTON AT THIS VERY MOMENT

eros signing off.......maybe forever........don't spill tooooooooooooooo many tears for me;)

Granted I don't watch much local TV, but I remember when the tests would be run during the break and it would be announced that it was a test. I guess my anger is a knee-jerk reaction but goodness gracious!

This reminds me of when I heard that dreaded special news bulletin music last week and it was to tell us how well the NASDAQ and DOW were doing! Geez, give people a heart attack why don't ya!
I know the economy is very important right now but I don't think it was "special news bulletin" material.

You know what! I am in my forties and in the last month, the EBS has gone off twice here. Never in my life before had I heard it. It is very scary. Not only does that tone sound, but a voice keeps telling you to "turn your television to channel 8 for further instruction, turn your television to channel 8 for further instruction." It is scary as hell!!! My first thoughts have both been about another 9/11!!! :( :(

Sadly, the first time, was an abducted child. The child had been seen being dragged into a nearby woods by a stranger and the Allentown police were using the system to try to find the girl and alert the surrounding communities. The little girl was never found. :( :(

The second time was for a tornado! :earseek: That was scary, but not as sad or scary as the first time.

Don't worry, when or if you actually hear it for the first time, you'll know immediately it is not a test. :(

Oh I forgot to say that your program will be discontinued and your screen will become a solid sheet of red while the tone sounds and you are given verbal and written instructions. :(

My heart always skips a beat when they do those things. They have to do them during the show, instead of during the commercials, or the station will lose money. But it's a big pain to miss part of the program so that you can practice listening to a noise that would make anyone jump.

I am like nativetxn. I have become so used to hearing these tests that I usually just miss them/unintentionally ignore them. If a real emergency were to take place, I'd miss it!

I haven't heard that test signal in years. Up here, we don't have that I guess.

Groosch...up here on ter ferm...the EBS was our only 'life-line" during ah wicked winter storm....whenever I hear the 'alert tone'....I git a lump in ma throat....

I know some day that the EBS is going to announce that the Commies are invading!

I don't trust those pinkos any further than I can throw them!

Better dead than red!

Arrrrrgh! :mad:

I'm sorry, what was the question? ;)

ANYONE HEAR IT on 9/11???? I didn't.

Maybe just an indicator but, how useful??

After 9/11, I think SOMEONE should look into this 'system' more closely! If 9/11 DIDN'T WARRANT this 'attack'-type message then, WHAT DOES???? :confused: :eek: :( :( :( :(

good point DD! :smooth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter