The ABCs of a New 'Ohana Adventure-G is for: Greetings From Teppan, Good-Byes, and Good News!!! - COMPLETED 1/7

I'd wanted to go to this place to do some more exploring (it's what Explorers do)

Story checks out.

I don't know about y'all, but Adventureland as a whole, while it works, seems a bit disjointed and haphazard. One minute, you're in the Middle East with spitting camels (yes, I have firsthand experience with these vile, spitting, disgusting creatures), and the next you're somewhere in the Caribbean sailing with marauding pirates, and the next somewhere in British Colonial Africa hearing drums and chanting. I honestly don't know how, but, as the patchwork whole that is Adventureland, it works.

Definitely a patchwork, but you're right--it works! I think the larger theme is "different from the U.S."

One of the best (worst?) jokes of the Jungle Cruise is when you approach the famous Schweitzer Falls, which is revealed to be named after Dr. Falls instead of Dr. Schweitzer, a physician whose work includes setting up hospitals in Africa.

I love that joke.

The Skipper Canteen has 222 seats spread across three main areas.

...of which we are currently allowed to use maybe 30.

The second area is a meeting room for the Society of Explorers and Adventurers, accessed through a secret library doorway now permanently open.

If I ever build a house on my own, I'm totally including a secret door somewhere.

The Skipper's Lost and Unfound shelf has a pretty sweet hattip to Jock Lindsay as well who seems to have lost his pet snake "Reggie" here.

Love it!

Our waiter was a kindly older gentelman, probably about my age, who appreciated my enthusiasm for the props and theming and, with a gleam in his eye after my lunch, offered to take me on a little tour. I love tours. Especially free ones.

Very cool! Disney CM service is still alive and well.

And how about one of the original boats from Shrunken Neds Junior Jungle Boats? Pretty cool, no?

::yes::

What scene on the Jungle Cruise is your favorite? What joke or sight gag?

Well, Dr. Falls is a good one, and the backside of water is classic, but the one I quote the most is :

You might think that's water coming out of his nose, but it's snot.

I also like it when the skippers are given a bit of free reign. It's fun when they approach the tunnel/temple and try and let a kid take the wheel.

If there was a tour of just the Jungle Cruise with lunch to follow with Imagineers at Skippers, would you do it? Or if it included Tiki Room and Pirates as well, would you?

Absolutely, I'd be interested! I'm a sucker for behind-the-scenes Imagineering stuff.

Wonderful update on Skipper's Canteen. We ate here for the first time in December and REALLY enjoyed it. We had JP so I didn't get a chance to explore as much as I wanted to and now I want to got back a take a much closer look. I did enjoy the bathroom with all the details.

Now, it's YOUR turn! What scene on the Jungle Cruise is your favorite? What joke or sight gag? If there was a tour of just the Jungle Cruise with lunch to follow with Imagineers at Skippers, would you do it? Or if it included Tiki Room and Pirates as well, would you? Do you have a favorite memory from JC that you can share with us?

I don't have a favorite scene from JC, because I love them all. I enjoy the corny jokes too but really like it when I hear a new one. I would love to do a tour in Skippers more so than Tiki Room or Pirates. If I were to rank them Tiki Room would be at the bottom of the list. My favorite memory/story from JC is a story that evolved over a few trips. The first time we took my youngest DD she was 3 and I didn't realize how much it would traumatize her. There are a lot of dark rides in the MK. Fast forward to our 2004 trip when she kept insisting that she did not want to ride. In the end she pitched a fit that she HAD to go to the restroom right before we were suppose to load so of course I had to get out of line with her and missed riding. It finally came out on our next trip in 2005/2006 that she was scared of the glowing eyes. What glowing eyes? It was the Tigers eyes in the dark temple that she still remembered from when she was three. She finally got over that fear. It's amazing what little kids remember.

I'd wanted to go to this place to do some more exploring (it's what Explorers do)
Ah, that explains it. I laze. It's what lazy people do.

;)
Let's take a walk, shall we?
I shall sashay, as I accompany you.
(yes, I have firsthand experience with these vile, spitting, disgusting creatures),
Really! Details??
the next you're somewhere in the Caribbean sailing with marauding pirates, and the next somewhere in British Colonial Africa hearing drums and chanting.
Sure. It's a small world, after all.
named after Dr. Falls instead of Dr. Schweitzer, a physician whose work includes setting up hospitals in Africa.
O... M... G...
I never once thought of the famous Albert Schweitzer! Of course!!! It's so obvious! How did I not make that connection?????
But, let's head on in and start with a cocktail.
That looks good. What was that?
was thrilled to get to finally sit in the S.E.A Room.
Nice!
I've eaten at Skippers a couple of other times and both had me dining in the Skipper's Mess Hall.
Yep. Same here.
My next life goal is to sit in the Butterfly booth.
Mine too. :) I'd be even willing to wait for it.
Whether you are seated in the Skipper's Hall, or just passing through it, take some time to check out the walls that are chockfull with Jungle Cruise references.
I'd like to do that. I've mostly just eaten and left.
The Skipper's Lost and Unfound shelf has a pretty sweet hattip to Jock Lindsay
Really! Cool!
the sadly defunct Adventurer's Club... RIP.
I never got the opportunity to visit. Now I never will.
This is perhaps #1 on my I'll-Never-Forgive-Disney-for-That List.
So you did visit it. How was it?
I just checked the new menus and whoa... um, WAY pared down right now.
:sad2: Not surprised I guess.
It is in the Steppe Rulebook that every single meal ever will be interrupted by a trip to the bathroom at least once.
:laughing: I believe you! I've met you!
Some, of course, are far better and less industrial than others, but the Skippers fixtures make taking a trip almost enjoyable.
:)
Curried Vegetable Crew Stew, served with coconut rice, seasonal vegetables and house-made curry sauce $19.00
That looks quite good (although I'd have to substitute the rice.)
Our waiter
Our? Were your kids there too?
with a gleam in his eye after my lunch, offered to take me on a little tour.
Really!! Super nice of him.
what about the helmet from the 20,000 Leagues movie
Okay... that right there is super cool.
Gorgeous!
And how about one of the original boats from Shrunken Neds Junior Jungle Boats? Pretty cool, no?
Yes!
Does the Cambodian Temple look familiar? The snake?
Well... it's the temple from the ride... and the snake is in the temple, I think... no, it's not. It's earlier.
Is that what you meant?
What scene on the Jungle Cruise is your favorite?
Tough one, but probably this:
What joke or sight gag?
Hmmm... Too many to list.
I liked "I will scare off the hippos the same way I scared off my boyfriend... "I love you!""
If there was a tour of just the Jungle Cruise with lunch to follow with Imagineers at Skippers, would you do it?
Definitely!
Or if it included Tiki Room and Pirates as well, would you?
Probably would pass on Tiki.
Do you have a favorite memory from JC that you can share with us?
My first time. I was a young teen and it was so cool seeing this ride that until then I'd only seen on TV (and only parts of it.)

I never thought about Skipper's Canteen having lots of interesting props, but obviously, it does. :) I hope probably do a combination of JC ride followed by Skippers tour. :)

Do you have a favorite memory from JC that you can share with us?
Once there was a real, live deer walking through one of the scenes. Even the boat Captain was surprised and said she had never seen that before.

We also had the chance to see how the handicap boats are brought into the ride and set up.

My Friends:

While I know it may seem I have completely abandoned both this TR, my Italy one, and the DIS in general, I have not. I have however been focusing on classes so I can get this degree done quicky. The fewer terms I can do it in, the less I have to pay, and the more I can travel!

Having said that, I have already completed 4 of my 13 classes, two of which were the hardest of the program- Statistics and Biochemistry. Soooooo happy to have gotten those behind me!!

All this to say, I do have more I can tack onto THIS TR, and I was planning to put up a Book of Lamentations on my Italy thread this coming weekend.

However, I am traveling to Bowling Green on Sunday to visit my folks, (I could cry typing that- Bowling Green is NOT the Amalfi Coast, Rome, or otherwise) and plan to pound out at least 2, if not 3 more courses while I'm there.

I hope each of you is well and weathering this strange and weird time we're in. I'm friends with many of you on FB and while I also know where most of you stand on issues, I am continue to love you all no matter what your views or opinons are. They are just those. I have spent time with many of you in person, and every encounter has been a delight. Let's continue to love each other, and soon this will all be over and we can get back to planning DISMeets and enjoying each other's company.

I will try to be here while on vacation at least a little, but until this BSN Program is over.... I confess I might be a bit more scarce

:grouphug:

Last edited:
Hi, Liesa!! I've been thinking about you as September was getting closer, wondering what was to become of your long-awaited Italy trip!

Congratulations on finishing up two of your tough classes already! Good luck on speeding right through the rest :)

My Friends:

While I know it may seem I have completely abandoned both this TR, my Italy one, and the DIS in general, I have not. I have however been focusing on classes so I can get this degree done quicky. The fewer terms I can do it in, the less I have to pay, and the more I can travel!

Having said that, I have already completed 4 of my 13 classes, two of which were the hardest of the program- Statistics and Biochemistry. Soooooo happy to have gotten those behind me!!

All this to say, I do have more I can tack onto THIS TR, and I was planning to put up a Book of Lamentations on my Italy thread this coming weekend.

However, I am traveling to Bowling Green on Sunday to visit my folks, (I could cry typing that- Bowling Green is NOT the Amalfi Coast, Rome, or otherwise) and plan to pound out at least 2, if not 3 more courses while I'm there.

I hope each of you is well and weathering this strange and weird time we're in. I'm friends with many of you on FB and while I also know where most of you stand on issues, I am continue to love you all no matter what your views or opinons are. They are just those. I have spent time with many of you in person, and every encounter has been a delight. Let's continue to love each other, and soon this will all be over and we can get back to planning DISMeets and enjoying each other's company.

I will try to be here while on vacation at least a little, but until this BSN Program is over.... I confess I might be a bit more scarce

:grouphug:
Tell your folks I said hi please.
I'm not friends on FB because I don't do FB and considering the drama and arguments I've heard about...very glad.
Congrats on the two hards ones. God speed on the remainder.
:hug: back at ya.

While I know it may seem I have completely abandoned both this TR, my Italy one, and the DIS in general, I have not. I have however been focusing on classes so I can get this degree done quicky.
So that's where you've been. I was kinda wondering where you (and a few other peeps) disappeared to.
Hey! That's great! Good for you!
I was planning to put up a Book of Lamentations on my Italy thread this coming weekend.
Oh dear. Sorry that got canceled.
I hope each of you is well and weathering this strange and weird time we're in.
Fair to middlin'. :)
Let's continue to love each other, and soon this will all be over and we can get back to planning DISMeets and enjoying each other's company.
:hug:
No worries. We get how life is. Take your time. We'll be here when you get back. :)

I’m sorry about your Italy trip, Liesa! It sucks, I know how you were looking forward into it. Hoping things get back on track soon and we can all enjoy all these vacations we dream about!

Good for you for plowing through on your BSN. You’ll be so thankful when it’s all done!

I was thinking about you just today when I read how hard hit Oregon is with the wild fires. On top of everything else... I hope you and your family are safe!

Well done on the classes and good luck with the others! Hope you can rock the others as quickly, too!

You ok? What are you up to?

Me? I am fine. Busy at work (got a promotion in April in the middle of lockdown, such a strange time to start a new job!). We managed to have a fairly nice summer with a week in a summer house in Denmark at the beach. That was so peaceful!

I am glad to see the update and hear about your successes with school! We had 10 days of riots in Kenosha, and I was thinking about you out in Oregon. I am sorry about your Italy trip, but is sounds like you made the best of it and repurposed your time and efforts in a positive direction. I hope you have fully recovered from your surgery and its subsequent complications. Stay well!

So that's where you've been. I was kinda wondering where you (and a few other peeps) disappeared to.

Hey! That's great! Good for you!

Oh dear. Sorry that got canceled.

Fair to middlin'. :)

:hug:

No worries. We get how life is. Take your time. We'll be here when you get back. :)
I know I just disappeared also. At first it was just working full time and doing the trav** ag** thing.. Then it became just too much getting upset on Facebook. Miss my DIS peeps, just out of sorts lately, Liesa, enjoy your trip and know we've got your back!

Hey! I've been neglecting the Dis myself as life has been really busy. Thank goodness for being able to keep up with most on Facebook.

My DIS Family-

So much has changed over the last many months since I've been here. I won't beleager that drama or melancholy (pronounced properly by Megamind 'Mel-on'-ka-lee', if you've seen it, you KNOW how it's said).

But what some of you may NOT know is that I have finished my BSN!! In 4 months, I've tackled 13 classes including Biochemistry, Statistics, many classes on Nursing Leadership, Patient Safety, Quality Improvement, etc, etc.... It's devoured almost every spare moment I've had, caused major lacks of sleep, countless late nights, stress; basically I've had no life for 4 months. I am proud of my accomplishment, but more happy that I have my life back.

I've been enjoying binge watching Downton Abbey, and eating better meals the last few days now that I have time to actually cook. Slowly, I will get back to writing, but not this weekend. I have a Thanksgiving dinner to attend, I'm on call today and tomorrow, and am hosting my kids for another Thanksgiving meal Saturday. Maaaaaaybe Sunday I'll find some time to figure out where I left off and dredge up some more material that is now over a year old. I'm pretty sure it'll be boring for y'all, but the Completist in me must finish this up.

I have no travel plans at all until next Fall, but that's the bitterness of life sometimes. The cruise and time in Italy that I had my heart set on, as you know, was toast in September, and now I am just praying it'll happen next September. We shall see...

So, this is just a heartfelt HELLO too all of those who are left that might still be around. If one of those might be YOU, drop a line and say 'hi' back. I've missed you! I've seen many of you on FB and while we may not always agree on this or that, I do hope we can find commonality and friendship here. With that... Happy Thanksgiving- we have much to be truly thankful for, even still.

So much has changed over the last many months since I've been here. I won't beleager that drama or melancholy
Oh? I haven't noticed anything different.

:duck:
But what some of you may NOT know is that I have finished my BSN!!
That's wonderful news! Congratulations!
(And before I go further... that is Bachelor of Science in Nursing. Right?)
In 4 months, I've tackled 13 classes including Biochemistry, Statistics, many classes on Nursing Leadership, Patient Safety, Quality Improvement, etc, etc.... It's devoured almost every spare moment I've had, caused major lacks of sleep, countless late nights, stress; basically I've had no life for 4 months.
:faint:
Holy smokes. No wonder you've been scarce around these parts. (And welcome back by the way! :))
I am proud of my accomplishment, but more happy that I have my life back.
I bet! You've accomplished a lot!
I've been enjoying binge watching Downton Abbey
Never did get into that. Heard good things, of course. I started watching House. I'm only about 4 episodes in but I'm enjoying it quite a bit.
I have a Thanksgiving dinner to attend
Very nice. :)
Happy Thanksgiving!
am hosting my kids for another Thanksgiving meal Saturday.
Even nicer! :goodvibes
Maaaaaaybe Sunday I'll find some time to figure out where I left off and dredge up some more material that is now over a year old.
Time flies when you're having fun.

:duck:
I'm pretty sure it'll be boring for y'all,
Nope! Pretty sure it will be anything but boring.
I have no travel plans at all until next Fall, but that's the bitterness of life sometimes. The cruise and time in Italy that I had my heart set on, as you know, was toast in September, and now I am just praying it'll happen next September. We shall see...
I sure hope so. Things are definitely starting to look a bit more promising with the recent announcements on the vaccine front.
So, this is just a heartfelt HELLO too all of those who are left that might still be around.
:wave:
If one of those might be YOU, drop a line and say 'hi' back.
hi
Happy Thanksgiving
Happy Thanksgiving to you! Enjoy eating all the things!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter