The ABCs of a New 'Ohana Adventure-G is for: Greetings From Teppan, Good-Byes, and Good News!!! - COMPLETED 1/7

Helllooooo! As usual I'm trying to get caught up, but have been following along on FB as much as that allows. I hope your recovery is continuing to go well...

It's always good to see you here, Kathy!! Recovery continues to go ok, slow for sure, but improvement with a few setbacks along the way.
I'm trying to follow without getting lost and having to search for the post...but lemme get this straight...you are going on a cruise? So much fun! Can't wait to see/hear about that!!

Yes, I am!! With @Malia78 in September. Greek Isles with an add-on (myself) to Venice and possibly Nuremberg.

I have had a LOT of accupuncture on my knee that has been injured running. It helps a lot. Especially if you get the kind that also uses electricity.

I will have to start researching someone in town who is known to do good and reliable work. :) Thanks!

I don't think it's wrong at all or weird for adults to do these things. However...as I'm in trip planning mode for my family with teenagers and adults for March...I personally am considering booking a character meal...but asking myself if everyone will be into it...I may have to skip it and just book something with a cool experience vibe instead, and then go see characters on my own...I think for those "extra" type things badges and hunts and stuff...I think if you have kids who have done a lot of Disney and need something "more" to entertain them...then sure...but I think for most...there is plenty to keep them interested without all that stuff? I may be way off base, who knows...that's my 2 cents...

Good thoughts! I'm not one for character meals myself, but know tons of folks who are and who love them- including adults and teens. Hmm, my teens/young adults LOVE Raglan Road, Teppan Edo is a fun "show", and Maria and Enzo's has some "extra" stuff for entertainment. And you're right, the parks in themselves has enough without the "extras", but for repeat visitors, kids and adults alike, the hunts and things add a little "more".

Okay, now it's your turn: Do you think it's weird for adults at Disney to do the activities that might be considered kids' stuff? Like the Agent P hunts at EPCOT or the Wilderness Badges at AK? I'm asking for a reason... ;)
Not at all. My sister and I have done crafty things that were geared towards children and we loved it. At Disneyland once we created and coloured our kites for Chinese New Year.

Not at all. My sister and I have done crafty things that were geared towards children and we loved it. At Disneyland once we created and coloured our kites for Chinese New Year.
I love and approve of this!!! I saw some fun looking crafts at Cali Adv. for both Christmas and Dia de los Muertos holidays that I wouldn't have minded doing if I'd had more time. And I think the kite was actually one of them. :)

Do you think it's weird for adults at Disney to do the activities that might be considered kids' stuff?
My favorite thing to do that might be considered for kids is roasting marshmallows at the resort campfires. :)

Visiting Harambe in AK makes me want to go back to Africa.
When you were in Africa? It sounds interesting, especially since it isn't a typical tourist destination.

H is for: Happy in Harambe!

There are a few places around “The World” that begin with Letter H, but Harambe might be my favorite. Exotic, yet, Disney sterile. Believe me, real Africa has far more trash everywhere you look, there is no running hot water in the cute little inns- you have to stay at a really schwank place to get that luxury. Blackouts are more common than having power on, and most places have running sewage on the sides of the streets. And yet…. Visiting Harambe in AK makes me want to go back to Africa. Because despite all of the hardships and unpleasantries, you just can’t find wild zebras, lions, or elephants anywhere else. Hence, it remains near the top of my bucket list and someday I will get there.

Meanwhile, I will dance with Tam Tam, sip a Dawa Mary in the shade, watch Baby Grace grow up, and take fake (yet awesome) safaris under the Florida sun.

This last trip, I got to do all of that with 3 of my kiddos and it was tons of fun as it always is. Let’s explore together!!

I’ll be your tour guide! Ready to see Harambe?

Anyone need to pee? I found some clean, beautiful restrooms for you!

Okay, grab yourself a gigantor cinnamon roll to munch as we stroll and let’s get going. You grabbed your napkins too, right? Licking your fingers at a theme park is gross! How many of you see kids (or worse adults) licking their hands at Disney, or worse railings?! **confession: I bite my nails and am often oblivious to my own sins in this area

I’ll keep the chatter down to a minimum since your mouths are full. Let’s just enjoy the scenery for a bit, okay?

Up ahead in the distance, I saw... an African village...

Just across this bridge is our lovely village of Harambe.

Did you know it was once a fort and that, through a peaceful revolution, is now governed by locals and was turned into a preserve? Did you know that if you listen carefully above the Dawa you can hear doorbells ringing and conversations the lend to the story of a landlord trying to collect rent that has gone unpaid for too long? Did you know that the yellow balloon seen on posters in the area is real and can be found in the rafters of the queue to the Safari? I didn’t either, but I sure as heck am going to look for it next time I go!

(not my photo!)

Anyway, back to our wanderings. Saunter with me, if you will…

<HAND SANITIZER BREAK!!>

Time for a trek! If you’re patient (a trip to Harambe, or anywhere else in Disney for that matter requires an increasing amount of patience these days, doesn’t it? ) you can see Mama and Baby Grace snuggling, naked mole rats writhing, fish swimming, and meerkats playing and all manner of other critters doing what they do.

I love the artwork on this wall done by kids!

It’s already been a good morning for our intrepid little group- you’re still with me, yes? Time to rest our feet a spell and board a jeep to see more animals. Save room for Kelly @buzzrelly on the right side of the bus, please! It’s the (less) better side of the bus. I mean it DOES have the Baobob Tree afterall. But, if you want to see the wild dogs and lions, scoot all the way over.

Ever see a hippo fart? And just like an 4111-year old boy, he’s even laughing as he does it.

Okay, Boys and Girls, keep your cameras ready, here come some more critters!

Were you amused by our tour? I always am! <USE YOUR HAND SANITIZER AGAIN! Those buses are nasty and you touched them!>

Time to head back to Harambe Village where artisans ply their wares and entertainment. Let’s see what the offerings are today:

Nice a bit of music to pause and enjoy!

And someone crafting some beadwork should you care to add to your jewelry collection.

Well, it’s been a very full morning for us and it’s time to thank you for your company! I’ve really enjoyed our tour this morning! You’ve been a fantastic and enthusiastic group and now: A hearty Hakuna Matata, kila mlango na ufunguwo wake, and a heartfelt kweheri!!!

Okay, now it's your turn: Do you think it's weird for adults at Disney to do the activities that might be considered kids' stuff? Like the Agent P hunts at EPCOT or the Wilderness Badges at AK? I'm asking for a reason... ;)
No, it is not weird! Disney is the one place where adults can be a kid again, and the CM's make it fun for everyone! And if you complete your quest, you might earn a cool prize! :woohoo:

Exotic, yet, Disney sterile. Believe me, real Africa has far more trash everywhere you look, there is no running hot water in the cute little inns- you have to stay at a really schwank place to get that luxury. Blackouts are more common than having power on, and most places have running sewage on the sides of the streets.

Sometimes Disney sterile is a wonderful thing!

Licking your fingers at a theme park is gross! How many of you see kids (or worse adults) licking their hands at Disney, or worse railings?!

Railings? Why would you do that?

Did you know it was once a fort and that, through a peaceful revolution, is now governed by locals and was turned into a preserve? Did you know that if you listen carefully above the Dawa you can hear doorbells ringing and conversations the lend to the story of a landlord trying to collect rent that has gone unpaid for too long? Did you know that the yellow balloon seen on posters in the area is real and can be found in the rafters of the queue to the Safari?

I did not know any of those things! But now I need to look for this balloon, too.

You have loads of lovely photos in this update. This one was my favorite.

Some impressive work here!

Ever see a hippo fart? And just like an 4111-year old boy, he’s even laughing as he does it.

Even the hippos know that farts are always funny.

Were you amused by our tour? I always am! <USE YOUR HAND SANITIZER AGAIN! Those buses are nasty and you touched them!>

Eh, you gotta develop immunities somehow.

A hearty Hakuna Matata, kila mlango na ufunguwo wake, and a heartfelt kweheri!!!

Wait, what did you call me?

Do you think it's weird for adults at Disney to do the activities that might be considered kids' stuff? Like the Agent P hunts at EPCOT or the Wilderness Badges at AK? I'm asking for a reason... ;)

Well, I can be on both sides of the fence on this one. On the one hand, it's your vacation, you paid for the experience, so have fun! Do what you want. On the other hand, I don't do things like wait in line to see characters, because at some point I understand that it's a random person in a suit, and as much as I use my imagination I'm not going to pretend they're a fantasy character. So I feel like it's ok to let some things pass me by as an adult.

I think where I would ultimately stand is if it's designed for kids to do, then kids should get the first crack at it. I certainly wouldn't want to force kids to wait for me to play a game that is more on their level. But if no one else is taking advantage, then have at it if you want to. Does that make sense?

My favorite thing to do that might be considered for kids is roasting marshmallows at the resort campfires. :)

Oh NICEI I've done that and it was a lot of fun! We did it years ago at Ft Wilderness with Chip and Dale. Where did you do it? I think more resorts have that option now. :)

When you were in Africa? It sounds interesting, especially since it isn't a typical tourist destination.

In 2017 I went to Sierra Leone with my daughter to do some Community Developement and Healthcare Teaching in both the Capitol, Freetown, and in the interior where there'd been an Ebola outbreak a few years earlier. It was a wild experience- both very difficult and joy-filled. I did a TR on it and you can find that

HERE

If you scroll down to Post #2, there is a Table of Contents. The chapters that are titled in ORANGE are the Africa chapters.

No, it is not weird! Disney is the one place where adults can be a kid again, and the CM's make it fun for everyone! And if you complete your quest, you might earn a cool prize! :woohoo:
I totoally agree with this!! Sometimes there are fun "free" souvenirs that can be made or the "projects" are simply fun to do in their own right.

Prizes make everything sweeter!

Sometimes Disney sterile is a wonderful thing!

Yep, but perhaps not as adventurous. Unless your goal is to just how far you can put yourself in debt without getting turned over to collections.

Railings? Why would you do that?

Ask the 2 year olds I see doing that routinely.

I did not know any of those things! But now I need to look for this balloon, too.

I am going to next time! Such a fun detail.

You have loads of lovely photos in this update. This one was my favorite.

Thanks! I really had fun finding some of the more picturesque spots around Africa.

Some impressive work here!

Those kids did some artwork about a billion times better than I could ever do. I wonder what my rendition of a stick hippo would look like! :rolleyes2
Even the hippos know that farts are always funny.

Hippos are smart.

Eh, you gotta develop immunities somehow.

Disney might not be the best place for that.

Wait, what did you call me?

LOL!! ALL of those can be found around Harambe:

Hakuna Matata- No worries

kila mlango na ufunguwo wake - Every door has its own key (meaning everyone learns in their own way)

Kwaheri- Good bye!

Well, I can be on both sides of the fence on this one

Yeah, me too.

On the other hand, I don't do things like wait in line to see characters, because at some point I understand that it's a random person in a suit, and as much as I use my imagination I'm not going to pretend they're a fantasy character. So I feel like it's ok to let some things pass me by as an adult.

I couldn't 100% agree more. Just not my cup of tea at all, and am happy leaving that to those who do that. (Not to say I won't grab a photo if I'm passing by and there is zero line on occasion.)
I think where I would ultimately stand is if it's designed for kids to do, then kids should get the first crack at it. I certainly wouldn't want to force kids to wait for me to play a game that is more on their level. But if no one else is taking advantage, then have at it if you want to. Does that make sense?
It totally makes sense. This last trip is did "play" a game and had A TON of fun, but if there were kids alread there, I quietly stood a bit back and let them go first and then had a time to do the activity. I got a lot out of it, and I think no one was "stiffed" because an adult was participating.

Okay, grab yourself a gigantor cinnamon roll to munch as we stroll and let’s get going.

I still haven't gotten one of these. I tried to get DH to get one so I could try a bite.

Did you know it was once a fort and that, through a peaceful revolution, is now governed by locals and was turned into a preserve? Did you know that if you listen carefully above the Dawa you can hear doorbells ringing and conversations the lend to the story of a landlord trying to collect rent that has gone unpaid for too long? Did you know that the yellow balloon seen on posters in the area is real and can be found in the rafters of the queue to the Safari? I didn’t either, but I sure as heck am going to look for it next time I go!

This is all news to me. Something to look for the next time I'm there.

I don't think this is weird at all. Don't we all go to Disney to release our inner child?

All your pictures were gorgeous in this update!

There are a few places around “The World” that begin with Letter H,
Umm.... Hollywood Studios?
Exotic, yet, Disney sterile.
::yes::
But you pay extra for the "sterile" part.
Believe me, real Africa has far more trash everywhere you look, there is no running hot water in the cute little inns- you have to stay at a really schwank place to get that luxury. Blackouts are more common than having power on, and most places have running sewage on the sides of the streets.
You paint such an inviting picture!!!
Because despite all of the hardships and unpleasantries, you just can’t find wild zebras, lions, or elephants anywhere else.
Um... but I saw them all in your photos?

;)
This last trip, I got to do all of that with 3 of my kiddos
Nope. Don't believe you. Not a single photo of a kiddo.
I’ll be your tour guide! Ready to see Harambe?
Anyone need to pee? I found some clean, beautiful restrooms for you!
Don't you normally just bleed in those?

:rolleyes:
(Thought we forgot that one, didja?)
grab yourself a gigantor cinnamon roll
Yes please! Those are great!
How many of you see kids (or worse adults) licking their hands at Disney, or worse railings?!
Hand licking is fine with food. That should be clean and hopefully you've washed your hands.
Railings... not so much. Ew.
**confession: I bite my nails and am often oblivious to my own sins in this area
Not a good habit, Liesa!
Up ahead in the distance, I saw... an African village...
I shimmered with fright... if it's a cannibal village.
Did you know it was once a fort and that, through a peaceful revolution, is now governed by locals and was turned into a preserve? Did you know that if you listen carefully above the Dawa you can hear doorbells ringing and conversations the lend to the story of a landlord trying to collect rent that has gone unpaid for too long? Did you know that the yellow balloon seen on posters in the area is real and can be found in the rafters of the queue to the Safari?
Didn't know any of that! Really!
Saunter with me, if you will…
I'll sashay. You saunter.
(a trip to Harambe, or anywhere else in Disney for that matter requires an increasing amount of patience these days, doesn’t it? )
I love the artwork on this wall done by kids!
Me too! Nice!
Save room for Kelly @buzzrelly on the right side of the bus, please!
:laughing:
You're never gonna live that one down, Kelly!
:rotfl:
Were you amused by our tour?
I couldn't quote the photos at work (but did see them on my phone)
and particularly liked the giraffe one. :)
You’ve been a fantastic and enthusiastic group
meh
kila mlango na ufunguwo wake, and a heartfelt kweheri!!!
hmmm... I got something about keys to doors and goodbye.
Perhaps... May all your doors be unlocked?
Nope. Not at all. I've done Agent P (Although KimPossible was superior) and the pirate one in MK... Fun, actually. :)
Me too!! But I"m a little worried about getting there. We're supposed to get about 4 inches of snow starting tomorrow and continuing through Thursday. We aren't like you Canadians and even a little sends us into a tizzy. We just aren't really prepared for that since it happens so infrequently. Added to the fact I live at the highest point in the city and on a big hill. I don't have 4 wheel drive OR chains and I won't risk wrecking my new car for it.
Uh, oh. 4" is quite a bit. Hope you can make it!

I still haven't gotten one of these. I tried to get DH to get one so I could try a bite.

To be perfectly honest, I little sweet goes a long way for me. I enjoy them a lot, but kinda love the breakfast sandwich they serve there just as much. With a coffee from Creature Comforts nearby to go with it.

This is all news to me. Something to look for the next time I'm there.

I am particularly anxious to find that balloon. The photos I saw of it were of it kind of crumpled up laying across some rafters.

I don't think this is weird at all. Don't we all go to Disney to release our inner child?

YEP!!

All your pictures were gorgeous in this update!
Thanks! I had fun taking them while the kids went on EE a 2nd (or 3rd) time.

Umm.... Hollywood Studios?

That would have been WAY too easy and mundane.

But you pay extra for the "sterile" part.

A LOT more.

You paint such an inviting picture!!!

It was not for the weak.

Um... but I saw them all in your photos?

;)

I did qualify with WILD. As in not caged or captive.

Nope. Don't believe you. Not a single photo of a kiddo.

I AM wondering where they were. WAIT! I do think I may have one that Mikki forwarded to me from her phone...

Don't you normally just bleed in those?

:rolleyes:
(Thought we forgot that one, didja?)

That was impressive and an event I don't want to repeat any time soon. Or ever.

Yes please! Those are great!

I do like them, but equally like their savory breakfast sandwich they serve.

Hand licking is fine with food. That should be clean and hopefully you've washed your hands.
Railings... not so much. Ew.

And yet, I've seen kids do this over and over. Blech!!

Not a good habit, Liesa!

Sigh... I know, I know.

I shimmered with fright... if it's a cannibal village.

LOL!! Although I think that is mostly (well was) limited to Indonesia and Papua...

Didn't know any of that! Really!

I knew most, but not about the balloon.

I'll sashay. You saunter.

I can live with that.

You're never gonna live that one down, Kelly!

I couldn't quote the photos at work (but did see them on my phone)
and particularly liked the giraffe one. :)

Thanks! I've gotten similar before, but like how there is a little of my own ride vehicle in this one.

hmmm... I got something about keys to doors and goodbye.
Perhaps... May all your doors be unlocked?

Close! "Every door has its own key." In other words, every learns in his own way. Apparently teachers say it a lot.

And yes, kwaheri is good bye.

Nope. Not at all. I've done Agent P (Although KimPossible was superior) and the pirate one in MK... Fun, actually. :)

I have done a couple of the the KimP ones), and didn't love them like I thought I might. But I DID love the Pirate Adventures in Adventureland quite a lot.

Uh, oh. 4" is quite a bit. Hope you can make it!
I think it's gonna fizzle out like most of our predicted snow events. We'll see...

I'm sorry that your post-surgical recovery has had more "recovery" than was hoped for, but you are right, it certainly gives you as a health care provider an additional perspective. Glad that you are making progress; chronic pain is not fun. But yay for the Italy plans, that sounds fantastic. I am so far behind that I am catching up on my annual Christmas movies and watching Sound of Music while wishing I was in Salzburg instead of -31C huddled under a blanket. I'm starting a week's staycation after 2 more shifts and will be very excited to snuggle with my first granddaughter who has been named Aoife, since Irish names seem to be the cool trend, lol. I was also pleased to pass my CPR recertification last week with my shoulder holding out just fine, but my knees are definitely still bruised and complaining...
Hoping your sleep becomes more restful, and that those nerves give you a break from their screaming frustration!
Hi Donna!! Great to see you here!

No chronic pain stinks and hopefully with time and possibly PT, things will get better over time.

I think my daughter is coming over tomorrow to look at what things we might do for the add-on time I might do with her. I had hoped to do a lot more with my time off than I actually got done and ended up sleeping a fair amount of time. Good luck on catching up on your movies and grammie snuggle time! I got some of that today and it was a little slice of Heaven!! How do you pronounce that?? I was thinking "Effie"?? Yes?

Yay for passing CPR!! You just never know when you're going to need that. If you do, someeone is going to be very happy you know how.

That would have been WAY too easy and mundane.
Sorry... <crawls back into the hole I crawled out of>

but then fist pumps "But it would work!"
<ducks>
It was not for the weak.
I remember reading about it. Sure didn't sound like it.
I did qualify with WILD. As in not caged or captive.
I knew you'd say that!
I AM wondering where they were. WAIT! I do think I may have one that Mikki forwarded to me from her phone...
Nope. Don't believe it for a second.
That was impressive and an event I don't want to repeat any time soon. Or ever.
No, I would think not!
I do like them, but equally like their savory breakfast sandwich they serve.
Which I'll probably never have. I can't pass up that bun!
And yet, I've seen kids do this over and over. Blech!!
So. Gross.
LOL!! Although I think that is mostly (well was) limited to Indonesia and Papua...
I think so too.
But it wouldn't work in the context...
Close! "Every door has its own key." In other words, every learns in his own way. Apparently teachers say it a lot.

And yes, kwaheri is good bye.
Yes, I saw that you had explained it... after I posted.

Sorry... <crawls back into the hole I crawled out of>

but then fist pumps "But it would work!"
<ducks>

I really should have put a winky face after that. I wasn't scolding!!

I remember reading about it. Sure didn't sound like it.

I need to read my own TR about that again. And relive that.

I knew you'd say that!

:blush:

Nope. Don't believe it for a second.

I need to look!!
I'll tag you if I find it!

Which I'll probably never have. I can't pass up that bun!

Hahaha!! More breakfast sammies for me. (They go with Dawa Marys better!)

I think so too.
But it wouldn't work in the context...

Very true. Hmmm, why does Trader Sam keep coming to mind...?

Yes, I saw that you had explained it... after I posted.
I go down ridiculous rabbit holes when I write my updates and I'm learning A LOT about Japanese cuisine as I write my next one!!! Who knew?!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter