The ABCs of a New 'Ohana Adventure-G is for: Greetings From Teppan, Good-Byes, and Good News!!! - COMPLETED 1/7

Steppesister

DIS Veteran
A is for: And This Is US

Welcome Everyone to another SteppeSister Trip Report, where the unexpected happens, the verbiage is excess, and the stories sometimes entertain. The fact of the matter is, I’m never really sure how to start these things off, so I apologize in advance for the awkwardness.

Sorry.

There, I said it.

Also, I may as well apologize now for the lack of extreme attention I will give until this little fledgling PRE-Trip Report comes of age as a real Trip Report. Just to make it official, travel dates are Sept. 13th-29th. Some will not be at Disney, but I am saving a bit for undisclosed locations, solo time, generally going off the grid, and/or for surprises for this TR! I’m here now only to set the stage and give some groundwork in which to lay the meat of the Trip Report onto. That way, when I get back on Sept. 29th, we can dive right in. Give or take a week or so to settle back in and unpack. You might laugh at that, but I traveled a few weeks ago and my suitcase it literally still in the car. I hate having to do laundry more often so I can have fresh undies, but not enough to, you know, actually bring the stupid thing up my stairs. When I got my apartment last year, a 3rd story view seemed like a good idea. :rolleyes:

Of COURSE, feel free to interact, intermingle, interject, toss your own stories in, or sit back and be a party pooper… totally up to you. 😉 So, do any of the above and… YMMV.

I have an in-progress TR

HERE

that is equally needy of more TLC. :sad2:

Now with that out of the way, let’s get on with the introductions!!

I can’t even count how many times I’ve “introduced myself” here on the DIS. I go back to approximately the Stone Ages of DISBoarding, before the giant blowout of 2008, before we went through not one, but two, format overhauls, before FB stole far too many friends from here, before I was actually SteppeSister. If, in case, you are interested, my former name was All7ofUs and I wrote a few TRs under that name when I had more time and was, for that reason, funnier. But I digress. Each time I find myself introducing myself I seem to have do some soul searching and ask myself: Who am I? Really.

So, after pondering for about 30 seconds, here’s what I came up with:

My real life name is Liesa and I live in Salem, Oregon. While I tolerate it, my kids live here so I put up with it until I can re-locate at some point. To where, I do not know, but traveling nursing is something I would be very interested in looking more into. Speaking of nursing, you may have guessed I am an RN who landed a fairytale job at an ambulatory surgical center. I get to work with women all day long who get new b00bs, kiddos who have rarely seen a toothbrush get all fixed up , and with people who get to leave our care with better vision than they came in with. No weekends, no holidays, no code browns. It’s bliss, Folks.

Once upon a time, I started on trying to get my private pilots license, but that is on hold until my life isn’t so up in the air. Pun intended. I am going through some personal issues that are best left off of a public forum; I guess I’m one of those old-fashioned chicks who thinks it’s better to leave some things in the company of a close few. Not to say you won’t get to know me pretty well. 😉

Let’s see… what else? I enjoy traveling and love to do photography when I can. I hope you will enjoy the photos of my travels in the parks. I have 5 amazing “kids", 3 of whom will be joining me this time- same 3 as last time. Here's a photo of us on our last trip in 2016 from our Behind the Seeds Tour:

Mikki is 24 and a recent graduate from Oregon State. She works in customer service for a large home building company in the area. Zach is 21, works at Home Depot and does cleaning at the same surgery center I do. Lastly, Anara is 17 and still in high school. They’ve all been a few times before and are most looking forward to seeing SWGE. They tell me they really don’t have favorite movies, characters, etc….. so will just skip forward to giving you more of what you might actually be interested in: The When, the Where, the How, etc.... I like to keep my chapters short and sweet so they can be easily read in a short sitting. Hopefully, I'll be able to get to those soon!

I'm also a gramma to two little ones: Alice and Rowan who live in Maryland (Daddy is stationed at Ft. Meade), and one on the way with my eldest daughter who lives nearby and works as a nurse at the same place I do.

Now, for those of you just discovering my TRs, a word about my style… I tend to write by topic with a mix of dining reviews, stories, particular places, or resorts…. You know, kinda by theme rather than an “I did this, then I went here, then I ate this…” approach. Afterall, it really doesn’t matter in the grand scheme of things what day I did this or that. If timing does play into the importance of why something happened the way it did, I’ll make sure to note that.

So!! Welcome to those who have stuck with me for literally YEARS; an equally hearty welcome to any newcomers- everyone is 'Ohana and everyone has a story.

And now, it’s your turn! Tell us all who you are, I’d love to see your picture so I can put a face with a name, especially if you’re new! And in the spirit of building community, hmmm, let’s see…

What is one Disney Restaurant you try to do EVERY trip and what is one you have tried but was a One and Done for you?

Last edited:
The List of Drivel

A is for: And This Is US- Pg. 1

B is for: But, When are you Going?- Pg. 2

C is for: Cabins, Chateaus, Casitas, or Cabanas? Pg. 8

D is for: Diving Into Disney; Day 1- Pg. 9

E is for: Exploring AK and EPCOT; Day 2- Pg. 10

F is for: FINALLY! SWGE and Finding Adventure; Day 3- Pg. 11

G is for: Going the Distance at F&W; Day 4- Pg. 12

H is for: Happiest Place on Earth; Day 5- Pg. 12

I is for: Into Batuu; Day 6- Pg. 13

J is for: Justify your Droid Purchase? or Just Sleep in?; Day 7- Pg. 14

K is for: Kakahiaka Huakaʻi (Morning Journeys); Day 8- Pg. 14

L is for: Lamenting our Last Day on the Lanai; Day 9- Pg. 15

M is for: My Main Munchable Musts- Pg. 17

N is for: Not So Scary Plans- Pg. 17

O is for: Of COURSE There's an ABC Scavenger Hunt!- Pg. 17

The ACTUAL TR BEGINS HERE... (which starts with a couple of short weekend trips to DisneyLAND)

P is for: Pre-Vacation Vacation- Pg. 20

Q is for: Quite the Quantina- Pg. 23

R is for: Rounding out the Day with Rides- Pg. 23

S is for: Starting off the Day with Not So Scary Spooks- Pg. 25

T is for: Two More on Our Tour!- Pg. 26

U is for: Undiscovered Trivia and Treasures- Pg. 29

V is for: Very Elegant Victuals with Very Fine Endings- Pts. 1 and 2- Pg. 30

And DisneyWORLD BEGINS HERE:

A is for: Airports and Arrivals- Pg. 38 (Travel and Raglan Road)

B is for: The Black Spires of Batuu- Pg. 40 (SW:GE)

A is for Arrival- Pt. 2- Pg. 41 (yes, I know... out of order. Sorry!) (Travel- Pt. 2)

C is for: Carefree at Caribbean Beach- Pg. 43 (CBR Overview)

D is for: Decompression (and Fusion) Surgery- Pg. 44

E is for: Everyone Escapes from Everest- Pg. 46 (Asia Area/EE at AK)

F is for: Friends in France and Fun with Figment, with a Side of FoodFest- Pg. 49

G is for: Good Times in Germany!- Pg. 50

H is for: Happy in Harambe!- Pg. 54

I is for: Itadakimasu; I Humbly Receive (Takumi Tei)- Pg. 56

J is for Jubilant, Joyous Jaunt Through the Magic Kingdom!- Pg. 57

K is for: Kingdom Kibbitzing- Pg. 58

L is for: Last Thoughts on MK- Pg. 60

M is for: Melting at Mickey's Scary Hot Halloween Party (Party #1)- Pg. 63

N is for: Nowhere to be Found (MNSSHP Party #2)- Pg. 66

O is for: One Country, One Souvenir at a Time (Pts. 1 and 2)- Pg. 67

P is for: Plaza de los Amigos- Pg. 70

Q is for: Quite a Day; Quite a Surprise (Parts 1 & 2)- Pg. 72 (Lots of AK, Sanaa, and a surprise for the kids)

R is for: Ristorante Maria and Enzo’s with a side of Disney Springs- Pg. 74

S is for: Somehow I Skipped Letter S :(- Pg Nothing

T is for: Tonga Toast on the Terrace and Toes in the Sand- Pg. 75 (Check-in at the Poly)

A Diversion into "The Other Place"...

U is for: Undiscovered Universes; Uni. Ch. 1 - Pg. 76

U is for: UniWorld, Ch. 2 - Pg. 79

U is for Unusual UniWorlds - Universal Chapter 3- Pg. 80

U is for: Until I Get to Hogsmeade- UniWorlds Pt. 4.- Pg. 83

U is for: Universal Under Hagrid’s Care Uni. Ch. 5 - Pg. 85

U is for: Unbelievably Relaxing Day at UniWorld- Uni. Ch. 6- Pg. 88

V is for Victorious!; A Short, Little Game of Hide and Seek- Pg. 91

W is for: Wild for Wilderness Badges!- Pg. 91

X is for: X Marks the Spot(s)!- Pg. 92

Y is for: Yes to the Waterside Table and Yummy Spices!- Pg. 93 (Spice Road Table in Morocco)

Z is for: Zero Cares in the World- Pg. 95 (More Poly photos, the Twilight Feast, and some AK)

A is for: All the Letters of the Alphabet!- Pg. 97 (My Alphabetical Scavenger Hunt, A-Z)

B is for: Bold, Beautiful Resort!- Pg 98 (Wilderness Lodge)

C is for: Canteen Chronicles- Pg. 99 (Skipper's Canteen)

D is for: Depot of Droids- Pg. 102

Last edited:

Not first ! But the first time I've actually caught one of your Reports at the beginning!
And I see I'm already in good company :rolleyes1

Happily following :goodvibes

Hmmm. I'd have to say our (and my) must-do is one of the lesser known ones. Olivia's, at OKW. Always seem to find ourselves there at some point, doesn't matter which meal.

One and done is a bit harder. A few places would make it on that list, because I can't go back - either they closed or changed. Others would make it onto DH's list, but possibly not mine, so I don't have a definative We wouldn't go back. Speaking for myself, I think the nod goes to Coral Reef. It wasn't bad, wasn't good. I was seriously underwhelmed by the food and the ambiance. Nice table, but being near the glass made the area a magnet for gawkers. It felt like we were on display as much as the denizens of the tank.

Not first ! But the first time I've actually caught one of your Reports at the beginning!
And I see I'm already in good company :rolleyes1

Always the best on these TRs. LOL :laughing:
Happily following :goodvibes

A very happy and huge :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: So glad to have you along!!

Hmmm. I'd have to say our (and my) must-do is one of the lesser known ones. Olivia's, at OKW. Always seem to find ourselves there at some point, doesn't matter which meal.

Very interesting! I know that those who stay at OKW really love it and I always hear good reviews of it, but unless you're staying at that resort it's a bit out of the way for a meal? Maybe? Are you a DVCer? I'm kinda thinking yes???

One and done is a bit harder. A few places would make it on that list, because I can't go back - either they closed or changed. Others would make it onto DH's list, but possibly not mine, so I don't have a definative We wouldn't go back. Speaking for myself, I think the nod goes to Coral Reef. It wasn't bad, wasn't good. I was seriously underwhelmed by the food and the ambiance. Nice table, but being near the glass made the area a magnet for gawkers. It felt like we were on display as much as the denizens of the tank.
Now that is very interesting! I did it (with the same kids) and we enjoyed it, but not a TON. Loved the tanks, loved the fish, and even the food, although the non-fish options weren't amazing. My fish hater had to get chicken or pork (or a steak- out of our budget) and the chicken was meh. The fish hater did manage to pants herself and that was rather hiliarious though. I think we'll not go back for quite sometime.

Here!! Looking forward to it! I'll try my best to participate as much as I can (and not be a "party pooper!" :laughing:) Sounds like you have some fun things in store!

Wait...are Mikki and Zach twins? I don't think I knew this.

What is one Disney Restaurant you try to do EVERY trip and what is one you have tried but was a One and Done for you?

Boma is an EVERY trip. For sure. But you probably already know this about me. Specifically, Boma breakfast, but we also like dinner. Dinner is more like an every-couple-of-years kinda thing.

A One and Done...hmmm...we have several that have ended up being a Few and Done's. Like, they were good the first time, or we gave them another shot, and then after 2 or 3 tries decided that we were done. I think Le Cellier might turn into one of these, and Coral Reef. But a true One and Done for us, I think, will be Narcoossee's. It was perfectly okay, but not special, which is what I want for that price. The service wasn't great, we were seated very late, we were misled and lied to about the process of watching the fireworks on the deck, and our food was kind of "meh" and overcooked, mine especially. We're more Citricos people, I think, so I'm glad we'll be going there in a couple of weeks before it gets overhauled.

I love your style and your verve with the written word! Following along! :Pinkbounc

Let’s see we really dug Sanaa. Not eager to ever go back to Coral Reef (there was a weird musty/moldy/dank smell in the waiting area), nor did we enjoy Chefs de France. Citricos is one of my wished for restaurants- they have several vegetarian options that sound tasty!

Very interesting! I know that those who stay at OKW really love it and I always hear good reviews of it, but unless you're staying at that resort it's a bit out of the way for a meal? Maybe? Are you a DVCer? I'm kinda thinking yes???
It CAN be out of the way, but we've used OKW as a base to do a non-park day. At least before the parking upcharge thing. Take the boat to Downtown from there - or back to there. Breakfast is for when we stay there.
Sadly, no. Back when we should have bought into it, we didn't realize how badly we'd caught the bug. And it wasn't really in the budget. Now it's not practical. :sad1:

Here!! Looking forward to it! I'll try my best to participate as much as I can (and not be a "party pooper!" :laughing:) Sounds like you have some fun things in store!

So, SO glad you're here, Meghan!!! Here's the customary :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: I give to all my favorite readers! ;)

Wait...are Mikki and Zach twins? I don't think I knew this.

Major OOPS!! Mikki's age should have been 24.

Boma is an EVERY trip. For sure. But you probably already know this about me. Specifically, Boma breakfast, but we also like dinner. Dinner is more like an every-couple-of-years kinda thing.

I did know that about you guys for sure! And Theresa? is your favie server, right? I've done only breakfast there and loved it all 3 times.

A One and Done...hmmm...we have several that have ended up being a Few and Done's. Like, they were good the first time, or we gave them another shot, and then after 2 or 3 tries decided that we were done. I think Le Cellier might turn into one of these, and Coral Reef. But a true One and Done for us, I think, will be Narcoossee's. It was perfectly okay, but not special, which is what I want for that price. The service wasn't great, we were seated very late, we were misled and lied to about the process of watching the fireworks on the deck, and our food was kind of "meh" and overcooked, mine especially.

I've not ever done Narcoosees and would give it a try even with mixed reviews. I AM sad about your pretty mediocre experience there. It IS interesting that you the 3rd person already on THIS TR who gives a "One and Done" for Coral Reef! I enjoyed Le Cellier, but have other places higher up on the list before going back.

We're more Citricos people, I think, so I'm glad we'll be going there in a couple of weeks before it gets overhauled.

I've not gotten to try Citricos yet, but it's definitely on my "Try Someday" list.

I love your style and your verve with the written word! Following along! :Pinkbounc

Awww, thank you so much, Rebecca!! (That is Kid #2's name (the nurse) but hers is spelled with a "kah". ) I LOVE having more lovely poeple join in, so a very big :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: to you!!!

Let’s see we really dug Sanaa.

Mmm, love that place so much!!! Going there in a few short weeks again. That Bread Service.... :cloud9:

Not eager to ever go back to Coral Reef (there was a weird musty/moldy/dank smell in the waiting area), nor did we enjoy Chefs de France.

I didn't notice that, but wasn't overly loving the food. We went for the atmosphere/ theming, and that's about all we got.

Not tried Chefs, but Mr. Paul is one of my very top go-to's now. I ADORE it!

Citricos is one of my wished for restaurants- they have several vegetarian options that sound tasty!

As it is mine as well. Hopefully soon....

It CAN be out of the way, but we've used OKW as a base to do a non-park day. At least before the parking upcharge thing. Take the boat to Downtown from there - or back to there. Breakfast is for when we stay there.

Oooh savvy!!! I like your style and planning!
Sadly, no. Back when we should have bought into it, we didn't realize how badly we'd caught the bug. And it wasn't really in the budget. Now it's not practical. :sad1:

OH I hear ya. Now that I finally am closer to being in a financial place to do it, it doesn't make sense anymore. While I haven't crunched the numbers for myself officially, I've heard loads of people say it. Plus, am also wanting to travel to other places too.

Following along. Popping over from your PTR. Looking forward to reading more.

My go to is Via Napoli . One and done Captains Grill - now Ale and Compass . I try to go to at least one new place each trip .

Following along. Popping over from your PTR. Looking forward to reading more.

Oh!! Well hello there, Sweet Friend! :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: I was hoping you'd sign on and say hello! :D

My go to is Via Napoli .

Mmm, I like that one too. And know it's a must-do for so many! My girls love it there, but mostly for the eye candy.

One and done Captains Grill - now Ale and Compass .

I've not tried the Ale and Compass for a meal, but the EPIC Girls (a large group of us anyways, not everyone) ended up there after our Illuminations Cruise was cancelled due to a hellacious storm. It was cozy and many of the ladies ordered appies and we all got drinks and it was really yummy. What about your experience there was poor? Service? the food? Do tell!

Never been to Captain's Grill.

I try to go to at least one new place each trip .

I like that too. I try to do a solid mix of places I've been to and like (Sanaa, many CS, Tiffins, etc..) but also try to add about half of our lineup with new places. I'll share our list in an upcoming update. :)

Looking forward to joining in for another! I may be a bit lighter on commenting than I used to be, but “it’s not you, it’s me”. Stupid job.

Every trip is one of the Italian places in Epcot. Via Napoli or Tutto Italia. It’s my family’s favourite kind of food and we’ve always enjoyed it.
One and done. Hmm. I’ve never had a terrible experience, at least I can’t recall. There’s a few I’ve grown tired of, like 50s Prime Time, Sci Fi, Crystal Palace, Akershus. My one and done is probably Hollywood and Vine. Went there for the Disney Jr breakfast when DD was at that age. It wasn’t terrible but wasn’t that good so I have no desire to go back.

I'm here! I feel ya on hating the introduction post. How many times can you make the facts about yourself sound interesting? Of course, I say that, but yours was thoroughly enjoyable! I somehow missed that you had a second grandkid (and third on the way!); congratulations!

Major OOPS!! Mikki's age should have been 24.

Oh gotcha! :thumbsup2

I did know that about you guys for sure! And Theresa? is your favie server, right? I've done only breakfast there and loved it all 3 times.

Correct!! (Either you have a good memory, or I'm just VERY repetitive in my TRs. ...probably both. :laughing:) We had a different server once, I think his name was Christian, who was also excellent. Not sure whether he's still there anymore.

I've not ever done Narcoosees and would give it a try even with mixed reviews.

I'd still say it's definitely worth giving a try. Most people tend to have really good experiences, I think. I expected to really enjoy it, but we just weren't particularly wowed, so for the price we probably wouldn't go back. But it's a pretty restaurant, with a small intimate kinda dining room, and you can't beat the fireworks across Seven Seas Lagoon, so it's definitely worth checking out someday.

the verbiage is excess
Nah. You good talker.
and the stories sometimes entertain.
Sometimes? You have a funny way of spelling "always".
The fact of the matter is, I’m never really sure how to start these things off, so I apologize in advance for the awkwardness.
Oh, I hear you. I usually just... start.
It's horrible, but it gets the ball rolling I suppose.
Sorry.

There, I said it.
ooohhh… so Canadian of you.
Also, I may as well apologize now for the lack of extreme attention I will give until this little fledgling PRE-Trip Report comes of age as a real Trip Report.
You're really selling this thing!
I’m here now only to set the stage and give some groundwork in which to lay the meat of the Trip Report onto.
mmmm… meat...
You might laugh at that, but I traveled a few weeks ago and my suitcase it literally still in the car.
:eek: Still???? Mine is in the house the same time I am... and unpacked and put away no later than the next day (If I'm home late).
When I got my apartment last year, a 3rd story view seemed like a good idea. :rolleyes:
That's no excuse, young lady!
I can’t even count how many times I’ve “introduced myself” here on the DIS.
Hi! Who are you again????
my former name was All7ofUs and I wrote a few TRs under that name when I had more time and was, for that reason, funnier.
I'll have to look for those. :)
I get to work with women all day long who get new b00bs,
Sounds like a dream job to me.
I started on trying to get my private pilots license, but that is on hold until my life isn’t so up in the air. Pun intended.
Nicely done.
I am going through some personal issues that are best left off of a public forum;
Sorry to hear that. :hug:
Cute photo. :)
I also like the black and white one of you on the train (I think it's the train?). Very nice!
So!! Welcome to those who have stuck with me for literally YEARS;
Been a few, but not as many as some of your readers, I'm sure.
I guess 50s is one I seem to do fairly often. Just enjoy the ambiance. There might be others, but that one comes to mind.
Oh, 8 Spoons! You introduced me to that one. Lord, that shrimp mac n cheese is to die for!

One and done... that's a lot tougher... hmmm...

I'm going to have to look at a list for a sec...

Okay... I've eaten at Boatwright's in POR... not very good. I ate there because we were staying there but... once was plenty.
Golden Oak is another one. I'd heard so many people raving about the waffle fries there. I was super stoked to try it and... very big "meh". I may even have tossed most of them.
Harambe market... Just not good. Then again, they've completely changed their menu since then... but I'm in no hurry to try it.

I'm here! We may run into each other, DH and I will be in Disney until 9/17!

Let's see, a restaurant I always have to do (well mostly always) is Via Napoli!

And a one and done for me would have to be Chefs De France. I may give it another go at some point but for now I have no desire to get back!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!