The ABCs of a New 'Ohana Adventure-G is for: Greetings From Teppan, Good-Byes, and Good News!!! - COMPLETED 1/7

I adore how an eternal twilight sets the perfect tone for an evening’s dinner with friends or family. The buzz of conversations, punctuated with an occasional crying child, lends an authenticity to a Latin city square. Off in the distance a volcano smokes with life and the quiet waters reflect the lights that send travelers off on a Mexican adventure.

The atmosphere inside that pyramid is very special. One of Disney's best interiors, in my opinion. Ironically, they made it feel like an exterior.

We took the requisite shots with the oversized sombreros laughing hysterically and finding a few moments of rekindling bonds that for too long have been strained. Disney has a way of making one forget life's struggles for a while affording opportunities to discover that healing can make progress.

I've heard some Imagineers chafe at people who call Disney parks an escape from the real world. They prefer to think of it as a demonstration that the real world can work well. But I still think of it as an escape.

The host greeted us again and told us our table was ready and were led to a PERFECT waterside table. I couldn’t have asked for anything more wonderful.

Wow, that's a great spot!

A giant serving of gooey, REAL, cheese infused with Mexican sausage and other goodies. I could have made a meal from this and had a TON of leftovers. Between the 4 of us, we didn’t finish it by meal’s end. Chips and salsa rounded out our appetizer extravaganza and it’s no wonder even with only 2 dinners ordered we couldn’t finish them!!

This sounds terrific. I think I'd want to make a dinner from the appetizers.

I wish this photo would have turned out. :(

:sad1: But I'm glad it was a nice evening.

The host greeted us again and told us our table was ready and were led to a PERFECT waterside table. I couldn’t have asked for anything more wonderful. Here are the two views I took as we looked at the menus and waited for our drinks.
I've only had a meal there one time. And it was a waterside table. I honestly don't think I'd be happy eating there if I didn't have that view.
We spent the meal recounting our delightful day in WS recapping our favorite moments, snacks, music, etc… After more than an hour of thoroughly enjoying our meal, we passed on dessert feeling we’d explode if we indulged and settled our bill. I wish this photo would have turned out. :(
Sounds like a lovely meal. I'm glad that you were able to get the table you wanted and enjoyed the company and food!

Our family entered the pyramid not sure of what dinner might hold. The San Angel gets quite mixed reviews, but we were hopeful that this would be a memorable dinner and we’d be rewarded with taking a chance. At the very least, the atmosphere alone would be a standout among Disney restaurants.

We ate here back in 2004 and really enjoyed. The setting is so perfect.

We took the requisite shots with the oversized sombreros laughing hysterically and finding a few moments of rekindling bonds that for too long have been strained. Disney has a way of making one forget life's struggles for a while affording opportunities to discover that healing can make progress.

I'm happy to hear everyone was enjoying each other.

Here are the two views I took as we looked at the menus and waited for our drinks.

Beautiful views!

We spent the meal recounting our delightful day in WS recapping our favorite moments, snacks, music, etc… After more than an hour of thoroughly enjoying our meal, we passed on dessert feeling we’d explode if we indulged and settled our bill. I wish this photo would have turned out. :(

Sounds like it was a great meal. Sorry you picture didn't come out. We've had that happen many times.

I am completely enamored by the way you describe this feeling to perfection! Just love it so much, it brought a tear to my eye!! And that is why Disney World is so much more than just a theme park.

P is for: Plaza de los Amigos
You know... I have never noticed that. Nor did I know that's what it was called!
Perhaps a little Mariachi Cobre music to set the mood…
Clicked it. Was happily listening away as I read. :)
I adore how an eternal twilight sets the perfect tone for an evening’s dinner with friends or family.
But not how jarring it is when you come out into the bright hot Florida day!
The buzz of conversations, punctuated with an occasional crying child, lends an authenticity to a Latin city square.
Lots of crying children in Mexico, huh?
At the very least, the atmosphere alone would be a standout among Disney restaurants.
Yep. Air conditioning. Love that atmosphere.

:duck:
I told our genial host that we were willing to wait up to half an hour for a waterside table.
::yes:: I do the same. Well... not there, as I haven't eaten there, but in other places.
I’ve found that with courteous requests and being flexible almost always gets you premium spot in restaurants. And it’s always worth the wait.
::yes:: Totally agree!
We took the requisite shots with the oversized sombreros laughing hysterically
:laughing: Perfect! I like your DD's shot from the back.
and finding a few moments of rekindling bonds that for too long have been strained.
:hug:
I found a Wiki article that gives quite a good lot of information about this art.
Interesting article. Fascinating that it came to him in a fevered dream.
We ogled at them all and kept saying to each other over and over, “This is my favorite!”, “I love this one!”, “This one is so amazing!”, etc…
I should do that! I've really only given them a quick look.
Maybe someday I’ll be able to afford one of my very own.
I've never noticed. How expensive are they?
The host greeted us again and told us our table was ready and were led to a PERFECT waterside table.
Yussssss...
Here are the two views I took
Wow! That is a great spot!
we ordered up the Queso Fundito which was absolutely amazing!!
Yum! Love a good Queso.
Holy crap!

Um... I guess you won't be doing that for a while...
The tables are pretty tightly packed together, which might be my only one complaint except for a few lapses in server attentiveness.
Neither is good. I don't like crowded tables.
We had to wait for water and in the end never did get refills when needed.
:sad2:
But I suppose that's a function of too many tables and not enough servers.
I also stole a few bites as well. For quality assessment, of course.
Of course.

:rolleyes:
Chile Relleno-
Poblano pepper stuffed with pulled pork, pine nuts and almonds, topped with roasted tomato sauce with side of rice $28
Nope!
Peppers don't like me and I'm not a big fan of pulled pork. Let alone the nuts and almonds can affect me as well. I'll have the rice, I guess.
we ordered a side of rice and beans as filler. That was a waste of money, as we felt a bit gauged for what they were and because we didn’t make hardly a dent in either.
I have no idea what you mean, here. Gauged? What do you mean about "for what they were"?
I wish this photo would have turned out. :(
Did one of your DDs take it? I see only three of you at the table.
The walk out to the buses would be something akin to torture with my blister blooming in full glory,
Ouch. Hope that gets better.

No.

I was amused by this yesterday:

www.nbcnews.com

Zamboni driver wins first NHL game after being tapped as emergency goalie
Dave Ayres, 42, saved eight goals for the Carolina Hurricanes after both the team's goalies were injured.
www.nbcnews.com
www.nbcnews.com
I heard about that! Quite the story. And he won, too!
Yes and he is on quite the PR Tour. He has been on talk shows and honoured by the Carolina Fans. What a celebrity he has become.
Somebody shared this picture to facebook. Just think of the poor Leafs team.

Attachments

• zamboni driver.jpg
    zamboni driver.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 2
SOOOO absolutely true!!! Well said, and poetically too!
Your meal at San Angel looks really good, I have to remember the queso fundido. I wasn't too impressed the last time I went but I don't think I ordered right.
:goodvibes

It was divine!! I think a lot does depend on what you order, but as I always say... the worse Mexican is better than ANY Crapistani!

The atmosphere inside that pyramid is very special. One of Disney's best interiors, in my opinion. Ironically, they made it feel like an exterior.

Well, that's certainly an interesting take, but... well, accurate.

I've heard some Imagineers chafe at people who call Disney parks an escape from the real world. They prefer to think of it as a demonstration that the real world can work well. But I still think of it as an escape.

No. It's both. Both an escape from the real world because it's so sterile? Perfect? Care-free? And yet, yes, a demonstration that the world has a lot to offer and invites us to get out into it. At least for me it does. AK and EPCOT are perfect examples. MK and DHS much less so. And I guess that's partly why the former 2 are my favorite parks.

Wow, that's a great spot!

Couldn't have been better. Almost as good as a waterside table at The Blue Bayou, but better. Cuz Mexican.

This sounds terrific. I think I'd want to make a dinner from the appetizers.

YES!!

:sad1: But I'm glad it was a nice evening.

It was, and we have other photos that did turn out. One coming up in a future Dining Revieiw. :)

I've only had a meal there one time. And it was a waterside table. I honestly don't think I'd be happy eating there if I didn't have that view.

I would agree. The other tables are in the center of a Universe of Chaos. But the water ones are shielded on one side and you can put some distance there.

Sounds like a lovely meal. I'm glad that you were able to get the table you wanted and enjoyed the company and food!

It was lovely! I'd go back for sure.

We ate here back in 2004 and really enjoyed. The setting is so perfect.

Very lovely for sure!

I'm happy to hear everyone was enjoying each other.

We had such a nice time. Of course there were some bumps in the road, but overall it was a great trip.

Beautiful views!

::yes::
Sounds like it was a great meal. Sorry you picture didn't come out. We've had that happen many times.

Dark place, young photographer, hurried... not a good sitution.

I am completely enamored by the way you describe this feeling to perfection! Just love it so much, it brought a tear to my eye!! And that is why Disney World is so much more than just a theme park.

Awww, thank you!! :goodvibes

I wish the haters would see it through these eyes.

LOL!

I heard about that! Quite the story. And he won, too!

Yes, he did!! Such a great, feel-good, underdog story.

You know... I have never noticed that. Nor did I know that's what it was called!

Now ya do!

Clicked it. Was happily listening away as I read. :)

You did?! I wasn't sure if anyone actually would do that.

But not how jarring it is when you come out into the bright hot Florida day!

But at least you're cooled off.

Lots of crying children in Mexico, huh?

Well, probably just as many laughing ones, but after 7:00 in Disney, you're only gonna hear the crying ones. Since it's in a restaurant and they're just as hangry as their families.

Yep. Air conditioning. Love that atmosphere.

:duck:

::yes:: I do the same. Well... not there, as I haven't eaten there, but in other places.

Always worth it!

:laughing: Perfect! I like your DD's shot from the back.

Something a little different. :)

Interesting article. Fascinating that it came to him in a fevered dream.

I know!! Very interesting. At least I thought so.

I should do that! I've really only given them a quick look.

I've never noticed. How expensive are they?

There is so much variety! Loads of colors and patterns! The very smallest ones are almost $20 and go up to the $1,000s from there.

Yum! Love a good Queso.

Gooey deliciousness!

Holy crap!

Um... I guess you won't be doing that for a while...

Not for a long while.

But I suppose that's a function of too many tables and not enough servers.

I suppose so. It's odd that they don't have someone just browsing with water for as big a place as that!

Nope!
Peppers don't like me and I'm not a big fan of pulled pork. Let alone the nuts and almonds can affect me as well. I'll have the rice, I guess.

Well, umm, the fish was good. :)

I have no idea what you mean, here. Gauged? What do you mean about "for what they were"?

Sorry!! Misspelling... meant:

Gouged.

Rice and beans cost pennies. Literally. $5.00 or more for each was ridiculous.

Did one of your DDs take it? I see only three of you at the table.

Yes, Anara took it. I think we got a couple from the waiter too, but those were even worse.

Now ya do!
You did?! I wasn't sure if anyone actually would do that.
I did! And was enjoying it too... and then... it happened.

I had read and multiquoted everything... but there was another page. I clicked it and... the music stopped. D'oh! :headache:
But at least you're cooled off.
Well, probably just as many laughing ones, but after 7:00 in Disney, you're only gonna hear the crying ones. Since it's in a restaurant and they're just as hangry as their families.
Good point. :)
I know!! Very interesting. At least I thought so.
I did too!
There is so much variety! Loads of colors and patterns! The very smallest ones are almost $20 and go up to the $1,000s from there.
Holy smokes! I had no idea. I thought the most expensive ones would've been around $20. Whoa!
I suppose so. It's odd that they don't have someone just browsing with water for as big a place as that!
Good point.
Well, umm, the fish was good. :)
Sold!
Rice and beans cost pennies. Literally. $5.00 or more for each was ridiculous.
Ohhhh… Okay. Got it now.
But... that's the same reason they sell you a Coke for $4. It costs them... almost exactly zero.
Yes, Anara took it. I think we got a couple from the waiter too, but those were even worse.
Oh dear...

Such a lovely dinner in Mexico
You had a wonderful view and I’m glad the food was yummy 😋
We have been twice and enjoyed it both times!
I wonder how many people try on the huge sombrero? It is a tradition in the pavilion haha 😂

The Japanese Cutsies exhibit has been there a while and I'd love to see a change again.
The history of Japanese baseball was the first exhibit we ever saw there. Prior to that we didn't even know that they had a museum. :)
The host greeted us again and told us our table was ready and were led to a PERFECT waterside table.
That was a great table. It wouldn't have felt congested and been as noisy from that table. :)
Chips and salsa rounded out our appetizer extravaganza
I love the green salsa and could devour the whole thing. We usually go there for lunch because it is a lot less crowded.

Our family entered the pyramid not sure of what dinner might hold. The San Angel gets quite mixed reviews, but we were hopeful that this would be a memorable dinner and we’d be rewarded with taking a chance. At the very least, the atmosphere alone would be a standout among Disney restaurants.
The setting is stunning!
That's exactly what Disney does for me. We all have our challenges to overcome but Disney makes it just that little bit easier. :hug:
We ogled at them all and kept saying to each other over and over, “This is my favorite!”, “I love this one!”, “This one is so amazing!”, etc… Maybe someday I’ll be able to afford one of my very own. Just choosing it would be a fun process!
I love these too and need to pick one up someday.
The host greeted us again and told us our table was ready and were led to a PERFECT waterside table. I couldn’t have asked for anything more wonderful. Here are the two views I took as we looked at the menus and waited for our drinks.
Absolutely perfect!
I ordered the house sangria knowing it would be Disney-"strong" but was okay with that as it tasted good and was refreshing. The other kids stuck with either water or Coke.
Disney sangria is usually good.
To get a kickstart on our meal we ordered up the Queso Fundito which was absolutely amazing!! A giant serving of gooey, REAL, cheese infused with Mexican sausage and other goodies. I could have made a meal from this and had a TON of leftovers. Between the 4 of us, we didn’t finish it by meal’s end. Chips and salsa rounded out our appetizer extravaganza and it’s no wonder even with only 2 dinners ordered we couldn’t finish them!!
That looks amazing!!
As the loaded boats sailed by, our dinner choices were served. The girls split the chili relleno, which was incredibly flavorful and again…. large. They easily shared it and I also stole a few bites as well. For quality assessment, of course.
Naturally!
Sounds like a perfect evening!:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter