The ABCs of a New 'Ohana Adventure-G is for: Greetings From Teppan, Good-Byes, and Good News!!! - COMPLETED 1/7

I seem to have been reading several Oga's experiences that call it a one and done! I'm interested to see how it goes for us with Jimmy in December....

I am anxious to hear what you think of it as well!! I know many others love it and it's their thing; it's just not mine. Too crowded, too expensive and the theming not quite alluring enough for my taste.

Love the pictures of HM with the Nightmare overlay. It looks just incredible, and I selfishly wish they would bring it to WDW someday (or less likely, that I get to DL to see it!!!)

I don't know it it'd work as well in Florida with the architecture. Then again, Disney can do amazing things with Imagineering, so...? Who knows!

It's a Small World is one of the most memory-inducing attractions. It's Jimmy's very favorite, and he makes us go on it several times every trip! I love hearing his narration as he spots the dolls and details that are his favorites. When he was about 4 years old, he decided we could all move to Disney World and work on It's a Small World. I thought he meant as CMs....he meant that he would be the boy who plays the guitar, Rob would be the bagpiper and I would be one of the girls on the carousel at the end. LOL Every time we have gone on IASM since then, I just smile and imagine us doing our doll jobs!

For as much as a bad rap IASW gets, it sure holds a lot of nostalgia and charm for quite a few folks! Awww, your doll jobs! That's so perfect! And exactly what Walt's goal was- telling a story and drawing people into it. :cloud9:

It's a Small World really is a beautiful attraction. I'd like to see the DLR version someday, especially the gorgeous facade. On my first trip to WDW as a four year old, it was one of the only attractions that I loved and that didn't scare me.

ANOTHER vote for IASW!! How fun! Sure, it's earworm music gets made fun of, but it's such a great classic! And yes, so pretty!

I couldn't believe your story/photos of the band playing on the carousel! How wonderful!

Such a charming surprise! I wonder how many times they had to practice to do that well! LOL!

Your souvenir piranha mug is fantastic :lovestruc

It's PERFECT! I need to have a cocktail party and bust out all the mugs!

Peter Pan and Mr. Toad are very nostalgic! I also loved the GMR, it brings back such wonderful memories of our mother and daughter trips! We loved this ride and rode it so much! And I dreamed of being a CM on this ride, she had the whole spiel memorized!

It looks like you had a nice afternoon and I love your souvenir mug, very cool!

All wonderful attractions. I miss the GMR SO much! I was really sad when they D/Cd it. I wish they'd kept it AND added the Runaway Train.

I really did, except for that hot walk with a heavy bag!

That sounds like a really good idea. Focus on what's different/better.
But what about Indiana Jones, Finding Nemo or Storybook Land Canal Boats?

We just didn't have time for all of those and I fully realize that the Storybook Canal Boats are a major snoozer for 99% of the adult (and kid) population. But they do hold a special place in my heart. I didn't want to make Kari stand in line and endure a ride she probably doesn't enjoy. :) And I knew we'd probably do IJ on our tour the next day. (We did.) As for Finding Nemo, they destroyed that ride when they moved from 20,000 Leagues and then (to my childhood memory) the "Submarine Ride". I like it okay, but get a bit sad that's it's just not what it was in her glory days.

::yes::
I remember being told about this (And I'm almost possible it was you), and finding it out when I went a couple years ago.

Majorly better! Longer, 2 drops, unique content...

I seen what you did there.

;)

Would you go back?

Hmmm, probably not in food service. Maybe as a nurse?

I may have read that once? If I did... it was years ago.

I'm sure!

That's so cool! What great timing!

It really was such a special treat!

Well, the dude looks pretty handsome, so who can blame her?

Well, I was going to say something, but knew I'd be a risk for some flaming... ;)

Okay... kidding aside. While it's not one of my favourites (far from it), I would fight very hard to keep it if Disney ever tried to remove it.
It's such a classic and I know that it holds a very special place in a lot of people's hearts.

There ya go! Appreciating a classic for what it is. :)

Of course. You're hot. You're tired.... alcohol should help.

:rolleyes:

Yes! A nice cold, beverage is nice especially if it comes in a uber cool Tiki-style fish mug! :snooty:

Uh, huh.
I remember joining you guys there and walking from the Annabella hotel.

So it basically took you about 3 days.

Oh really!
Just one more reason I need to get out there in the fall. :)

YES!!! Fall is perfect there!

Sorry... Guess I'm ignorant. What is this?

https://disney.fandom.com/wiki/Paradise_Falls

Nice! That's a very different mug!

Very! I love it!

Huh?? I read this and thought you fell asleep!

Nope! Just the butt of a joke. Or rather my butt was a joke.

So wait... there's a deliberately sabotaged bar stool???

Yep, unbeknownst to me.

I liked that area. And your photo shows it's still very inviting.

It's nearly perfect for lounging, sun napping, chatting with friends, relaxing. It's my kinda space!

Sorry your dinner wasn't the best. But glad you had a nice time regardless. :)

Time with Fran and Alison is always pretty nice. :)

That's fairly easy... and it isn't.

When I was little and watching Disney on TV... I was captured by the scene from HM with the "trapped inside a nailed shut coffin lid" scene.
And I loved seeing it IRL and HM is easily my favourite ride.

But...
When I first rode PP, I remember thinking "Oh great. A dumb kiddie ride."
I was expecting something like... Snow White's Scary Adventure. A track ride.
When the ride... took off... And then flew over freaking London!?!?!?!??!?
My love of Disney was tattooed on my soul.

So, kinda 2 attractions then? I have a particular scene... I'll answer that in my next post. :)

But I do know of your love for both of those attractions and would agree, both are completely magical!

Miss Mr Toad's wild ride in MK. :sad:

I think a great many folks do, sadly.

I didn't know this. Or, if I did, I forgot.

It's nearly twice as long with 2 drops, additional burning city scenes and several others only there (the whole prelude/beginning before the drops)... love it!

And the guy at GF knew that.

I continue to be baffled and well... weirded out by that.

Ditto...why I miss it. They say Winnie the pooh is the same track, but it is nowhere the same.

Correct!

Hey Liesa, not sure...what did you think of the walk?
:duck:

It's almost like you are inviting me to begin a SteppeRant. ;)

Makes sense if you packed the bags to not have a check in.

Mhm... paying for luggage and then figuring out what to do with said luggage was the great dedider.

So, what I think you meant to say is DTD in DL is much better decorated than DTD WDW?

Yes, but in order for clarity I bowed to a lengthy type out.

This is always the case. I wonder if they didn't anticipate the popularity or the smaller seating creates a sense of exclusivity and boosts the popularity. Many of the disdads love this place, but since I'm not much of a drinker and the overprices cups/mugs have no real attraction for me, I tend to pass. Don't get me wrong, for those that love the mugs, cool, happy for ya, just not my thang.

Perhaps so? Maybe both? I dunno, but you've gotta be commited if you want it. Especially in Cali where it's nearly half the size.

Now this is too funny. I knew you were short, but sheesh!
:laughing:

It was very funny! And made for a great memory!

Considering y'all had gotten up so early and had a long day, seems perfectly normal.

Sigh... naps in warm sunshine.

Wow....this is hard to answer...many of the ones I loved as a kid are gone.
MK: Speedway. I remember this was the first time I got to drive and even though I knew it was on a track and my steering had no real impact, loved it.
EP: Figment. Was one of the few rides the year it opened and as a young adult (still a teenager at 18), I thought Figment was a cool concept and character. I had a figment hat for many years and wish I still did...could probably sell it online for a small fortune. I liked the original version better, but alas, I doubt they'll bring it back.

I know. They just replace instead of add. :( But I'm glad those 2 are still there despite all the changes.

Maybe a bit of a stretch....

Dude, work with me here... .You have NO idea how hard it is to come up with ANYTHING for 'Q'!!

I'm pretty shocked that it hasn't been completely overrun.

I was too kinda! ;)

So, introverts need not apply, I guess.

Probably best to stick with playing app games collecting invisible crap from crates around the area.

Hey, as long as you have the ability to spend money, they'll squeeze you in.

Apparently. Same for every hard ticketed event now as well.

I couldn't stand there. Maybe two 6-year-olds.

And as long as they have money, I"m sure they would.

This just makes me happy I'm such a lightweight drinker. I don't bother with hard liquor.

Then give it a try. Rex is fun to listen to and the bar IS cool.

That speaks volumes. Honestly, between the cost and my lack of interest in the menu, I'll probably never darken the door of the place.

I think it'd be worth popping your head in just to see it, snap a photo and head out.

Glad it was so appealing for you! I have never been a Tim Burton fan, so this one isn't a draw for me. But I know a lot of people love it.

I love the quirky weirdness of it and the obvious creativity with the sight gags and stuff.

Hope Disney execs aren't reading this! Or maybe they should be.

I wonder if they have a team of folks on the lookout for feedback from ordinary fans on forums. It'd sure be useful. Then again, sometimes I wonder if they're like politicians and "hear" very little.

I thought just about every ride was better in California. Space Mountain and BTMRR too.

I haven't ridden SM in Cali in years. The track at both places in the dark makes my neck give a stern warning of impending implosion.

Looks like such a great atmosphere for a meal.

Especially with a waterfront table!

I'm still stunned the ending to that ride actually exists!:rotfl2:

You mean Mr. Toad in Hell? Disney... staying true to the storyline in this one.

Hey, I get it. Different strokes for different folks. I mean, some people like vegetables, too.

... and some like beer.

:rotfl::rotfl2::lmao: I love it! I hadn't heard that one before, either.

It's like these TRs write themselves sometimes!

Big Thunder, easily. First roller coaster I ever conquered. And just as much fun to ride as an adult.

Nice pick!! It's such a great ride and a perfect track!

I have only been to Disneyland once and it was many years ago! It was my first Disney park and I loved it. It was so long ago that you had to have tickets for the rides. Such happy memories of that vacation! My favorite ride was the Matterhorn Bobsled. Thanks for sharing your trip with us!

There's so much to love about Walt's original park, isn't there?! And that was a long time ago. I grew up with the ticket booklets too and pine for those days on occasion. Simpler, and far less crowded.

I haven't ridden than in decades and not sure I should anymore, but now you kinda make me wanna. :)

Lots, LOTS more to come! Thanks for your comments and being part of the ride!

Hmm...I’m not the best at small talk with strangers. Good tip.

Just good to know before you go...
If I ever get to Oga’s, I would be tempted to get a souvenir mug. Because at those prices it’s most likely one and done for me.

I like the one I got and I'm glad I did get one and go in, but yeah... one and done.

Yeah, I really couldn’t justify multiple visits.

Nah, I think one dip will satiate your appetite for over-priced drinks and crowded bar scenes. Even if it's kinda cool theming.

Confession. I have never seen that movie. I tried watching it once but just couldn’t get into it and ended up falling asleep. I’ve never had much desire to try it again.

Yeah, I do get that. It's very quirky and probably appeals to a narrrower audience.

it must have been a fun job!

It was! But exhausting. They work you pretty hard for sure.

I loved Mr. Toad. On my family’s only trip of my childhood, when I was 9, I enjoyed it so much it’s the only ride my father let me ride twice. (That’s the WDW version.)

Oooh, the twofer! Nice!! That for sure gets a "most-loved" vote!

Hard question. For my entire family it’s probably it’s a small world. Yes the song gets stuck in your head, but there’s something about it that just says Disney to us. It’s our first ride tradition.
I would have to mention Big Thunder as well, for me personally. It’s the first roller coaster I conquered and I was so happy that I did.

Another! vote for IASW. See? Gets loads of teasing, but after it's all said and done, it's the one that seems to have captured hearts because it's for the kids! And then for adults who fell in love with it as kids. Cheesy? Yes. Repetitive? Yes. Charming? Yes.

BTMRR just has some of the most fantastic theming for sure!

Are you sure? There's an old rule dating back to Western times.
"He who draws last, dies."
But then there's the other rule.
"He who draws best, gets hired by Disney."

Okay, that was damned clever! Did you come up with that?

That'd be a fun job.... not.

I dunno.... maybe not?

I believe they just got back. :)

I'll have to give a ring...

Won't be this fall (It's just about over) or the next (possibly/probably have other plans).

Oh? Well.... do let me know if it works out.

Wasn't too hard to do for a lot of businesses... they lost power.

Oh man! That sucks. I knew (had heard on BBC) it was bad, but...

Congrats to your DD!
This isn't the same DD that already had your grandkid (grandkids?) is it?

No, this is my #2 kid. My #1 (son) has a couple of cute little rugrats in Maryland. :) Alice and Rowan.

Your Ogra's spacing situation was exactly what happened to DH and I on our first visit during AP previews. We were given a spot big enough for one person while the other side of the bar had TONS of space. I asked the bar tender if we could move and he said it was fine just to do it quickly before they brought in more people. So we moved and a CM started yelling at me about moving. I explained how we were only given a spot big enough for one of us and she told me that that's all people were given and we were expected to stand behind one another. I was NOT about to let that happen and basically told her we had permission and moved on with my life. I was SO MAD. Especially since there was a family of four standing four across nursing ONE drink (don't blame them at all, they totally deserve the experience just like anyone). Yet me and Dan who bought four alcoholic drinks including the rancor teeth flight were being told to share one teeny spot. So I totally get it!!! (also I hope you can get the flight at some point, it is pretty cool! And for reference we actually packed it in our checked luggage and it made it home in one piece!)

Not. Even. Cool. And in some ways a fire safety hazard. Let alone a sucky experience for you and everyone else.

I will see if I can get one next time I'm down there next month... :)

OMG I cannot wait to visit Disneyland! Less than one month countdown! We are having dinner at Blue Bayou our first night, any meal recommendations??

Oh nice!!! I know the jambalaya is pretty good; it was our top seller. But that was 30 years ago. LOL!!

Looking at the menu, I suppose if it were me, I'd order the pork loin. :)

I love all the photos from Disneyland. One of my goals in life is to see the HM overlay. I like your plan of concentrating on the attractions that are different from DW. Your Trader Joe's visit sounds fun and interesting. Congrats to your daughter and your whole family. Having a grand baby close is going to be the best!
Thanks, Vanessa!! There are still loads more to come, as we have another full day ahead of us!! The next batch is my favorite, in fact!

Trader Sam's is a hoot! Lots of silly antics and goofiness!

I can't wait to have one nearby that I can dote on and cuddle!

So beautiful!
Pretty much how I am feeling....I will probably go once to say I've done it but have no real interest in it. DH was shocked that I wasn't going to go on my December trip. But with an expired AP and only 2 one park tickets, my time is better spent elsewhere.
That is a lot! Hope you are starting to feel better now. :hug:
I wouldn't mind the shared tables either as I enjoy meeting people too and think it would be a fun part of the experience.
You are making me want to go to DL!
Adding this too my list...... Wind in the Willows was one of my childhood favourites!
I adore IASW and would love to check out the DL version one day.
Nothing says Disney to me like Adventureland.......the classic theming and detail are perfect. I would say Jungle Cruise ans the Tiki room hold equal pieces of my heart. I remember the boys at 6 and 8 being in awe of everything on the Jungle Cruise and Bill and I laughing at all the puns. It's a ride that has never gotten old for us.

Me too! Well, maybe New Orleans Square for DLR since it's so unique and I worked in there, but yes, Adventureland reminds me of World of Disney's True Life Adventures. I loved that show!! And it seems I always end up spending a lot of time back there.

You are definitely right, those silly Dad Jokes never get old!
Congratulations! She looks so much like you!
I've definitely been told that before! :D

While I am just speculating here, I am pretty sure I would feel the same way as you about Oga's being overrated and the HM overlay being way more worthwhile a visit. I'm not even a big Nightmare Before Christmas fan, but all the details look stunning. It once again solidifies that if I am ever able to make it out DL in CA, I'm going during the fall.

Live music during the carousel? That sounds amazing!

You worked at Blue Bayou? I never knew that!

I suppose if Star Wars was your thing and that theme is what floats your boat, then I can see Oga's being fun and all. I just found it prohibitively expensive, too crowded for comfort and after a couple of times, meh.

HM on the other hand.... I think you'd be hard pressed to see it all in a pass or two. ;)

It was such a random surprise to see the pearly band riding it and their music was spot on!!

Yep, I worked there for about a year while I went to U.C. Irivine and through that summer. :) I still have my name tag. ;)

S is for: STARTING OFF THE DAY WITH NOT-SO-SCARY SPOOKS

Disneyland Resort Day #2 started off early, but not stupid early. There was plenty of time for coffee and leisurely getting ready, but not toooooo leisurely either. There was far too much to do today and we’d best get to it!! Come along and ready yourself for one fully, utterly, and wonderfully packed day!

We called for a Lyft from Alison’s place where we’d spent a perfectly comfortable night. In no time at all, our ride showed up and we were whisked to…

...the wrong drop-off point. :sad2:

Instead of where normal Lyft drivers drop off on Harbor Blvd., ours was completely clueless and we ended up in the parking structure with 14 billion other tourons. After a nightmarish security stint, which made EPCOT look like a walk in the park (pun intended), and wherein my personal pull-tab alarm was confiscated ( major 🤷‍♀️ ) and the entirety of Kari’s wallet exploded all over the ground, we were whisked away by tram to the Entrance Mall.

Finally, after enough shenanigans that I already needed a drink, or at least a churro, we passed through the tapstiles to start our fun at California Adventure. I was exhausted at 10:30 when we sauntered in and was getting cranksters. Never fear, food usually fixes my ‘tude. So that’s what we did first. While not insane, it was busy. Eventually, we had these little beauties in our possession and found a perfect spot by the window to watch the goings-on as we enjoyed every single bite of our breakfasts. Every. Single. Bite. Our next meal wouldn’t be for quite a while and it was one fully worth waiting for!!!

While I had waited for my decadent sammie, I drooled over this window and wished I had a place for something similar in my own home. The colors make me all happy-like inside.

Satiated, it was time to see what DCA offered up in the way of Halloween goody. Trust me when I tell you it was over-the-top and exactly what floats my Disney-loving boat. As we made our way down Buena Vista Street we stopped to pay homage to The Headless Horseman and said hello to the ever-hilarious Streetmosphere characters. They never get old.

Passing this made me want to come again next year to take it all in at a slower and more thorough pace:

Perhaps next Fall would be a perfect time. Then again, there may be other, better plans astir. No announcement yet, but maybe soon.

Finally, in no time at all, we made it back to Carsland where all things DCA Halloween are.

I was seriously not prepared for the incredible job Imagineering did with this area. I honestly had no idea this was even a thing, I hadn’t read about California’s Halloween celebrations in advance, so all of this was brand new to me and I was like a little kid all over again seeing things for the first time. Everything was a fun surprise!

"Long Term Parking"

"Road Closed"

Carsland is transformed into a place chock-full of sight gags, incredibly clever use of theme, and in my opinion fun for all ages. I have no idea what happens here during the C.A. version of the Halloween Party, Oogie Boogie Bash, but I imagine it’s an absolute blast! Then again, if they’re over-selling tickets/entry, it could be a colossal bummer too. Regardless, I completely enjoyed our stroll through the whole area taking in all the details. The photos just don’t do it justice, but I did my best to bring you a goodly sampling of it. ETA: I just checked: 2019 Oogie Boogie Bash’s are sold out. One of those you gotta plan ahead for, I suppose. 😊 More photos:

I'm particularly pleased with this one. Didn't plan it to turn out this way, but I love how the reflections in the windows worked out!

At one point we checked out the stand-by line time for Racers and it was a 45-minute posted wait. We opted to skip it knowing we’d probably hit it the next day and moved on. By now, we’d been texting with Su-Lynn and Steve and started to head towards the Pier. On our way, since this was a no hurry day, I paused for a few shots of one of the loveliest parts of any Disney park. It does nothing but make me want to quit my job and drive around the Desert Southwest taking in all of its grandeur. I suppose that’s what retirement is for…

Okay, your turn:

Add to this story:

He had just....

He had just... what?? Do tell....

Last edited:
Instead of where normal Lyft drivers drop off on Harbor Blvd., ours was completely clueless and we ended up in the parking structure with 14 billion other tourons. After a nightmarish security stint, which made EPCOT look like a walk in the park (pun intended), and wherein my personal pull-tab alarm was confiscated ( major 🤷‍♀️ ) and the entirety of Kari’s wallet exploded all over the ground,

Yikes! What a terrible way to start off! It sounds like things got better though :goodvibes

While I had waited for my decadent sammie, I drooled over this window and wished I had a place for something similar in my own home. The colors make me all happy-like inside.

So pretty :love:

You're literally killing me with this DL report. Your pictures are gorgeous and you're making me want to go there even more than I already do...which is a LOT! So I'm going to keep reading, but just know it's with the utmost envy that I do :sad:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter