ABCs of a Nursing School Grad Trip + FL Keys Mini Report;D is for: Dang! Last Chapter of this TR...

All the time, especially at Disney

See? I knew my DISFriends would relate to this!

I really like this perk. Even better if they gave you some ranch dressing.

Wouldn't it be hilarious if someone who knew that it would happen came prepared with a little single serving of Ranch? :rotfl2:

This is very cool. We have Mimosa trees here but I don't know if they do this too.

I do know that no all varieties do this. Hit and miss I think.

My husband would love this along with the kids.

You should try to fit in in then!

Great photos!

Thanks, Vanessa!

Very cool.

I really enjoyed your tour. I think I would like to do this. We never miss a trip on the "Living with the Land".

I'm glad it was entertaining!

If you like LwtL, you will LOVE this tour! I promise! They go WAY in depth, you can touch stuff, etc... it's great fun!

Just saw the news about the accident. So glad it wasn't worse, but yes, it sounds like a long road to recovery ahead. Praying for them during this time.

Thanks, Glenn! It could easily have been so much worse! And yes, off work minimum a month, possibly 2. Pretty hard to do much from a wheelchair.

There's a water-based plant like that mimosa too, that they have at Longwood Gardens near us, in their waterlily pond. Very cool to watch it retract at the slightest touch.

It is cool to watch. I seriously would question anyone's humanity that wasn't wowed by something like that!

Oh, I'll be looking forward to seeing my 1 point for "Q". ;)

I actually think you have 2 other points from other photos?? Pretty sure anyway!

My goodness, Liesa. I first read your post about the accident on FB, and knew it was serious. But seeing the photo...wow, he's lucky to be alive!

Praying for his full and complete recovery. I hope your family is spoiling him rotten right now.

Yes, he very much is! It was dramatic enough to make the regional news in Portland anyway.

Thanks for your prayers, guys. He has a strong crew surrounding him- strong enough to clean their kitchen and fold their laundry for 3 hours yesterday. Eh hmmm.....

::yes:: Sometimes I think of my DIS friends!

See!? I knew I could count on all y'all.

I'm not the least bit interested in botany or gardening or (are you sitting down?) vegetables, but because it's a Disney tour, I'd totally do it!

:faint::faint:

No. Way.

I've done it twice and am now itching to move on to the Train Tour. Still would love to do the Keys to the Kingdom one.

Well, that technically became an indefinite tour.

They were there "for a long, long time" anyway.

Well said. But then you have to explain It's a Small World.

Hey! Don't bash the Dolly Ride. If it weren't for it, we'd be 95% down on the joke fodder.

Hooray, it's FREE...

...vegetables.

Really? Even cucumbers, Mark? :sad2:

Wow, that's amazing!

It really was!

I would have guessed it was diseased or something.

Lurking in sketchy neighborhoods too long.

But then give thanks for the public roadways, and complain about the waste elsewhere.:rolleyes1

Well... yeah. Of course!

Very nice shot of the fam there.

Thanks; we clean up ok.

I can't really relate, because I avoid FiveBucks like the plague. But there are those people at McDonalds who still stare at the menu for hours, as though they haven't been serving the same crap for decades now.

Generally I do too. I'd choose a McD's $1 iced tea over anything there any day of the week. Really, it's my Emergency Rations go to when nothing else is around. As for spending inordinate amounts of time in front a menu.. PSA: People step aside and figure it out BEFORE you clog up the line! There are a few of us who already know what to order to efficiently kill ourselves.

Thanks for the update on Nathan. I feel so bad for him. Saying more prayers for patience and recovery. Prayers for Bekka too.

You're welcome. They can use and appreciate all the prayers sent on their behalf!

I hope your plate slows down soon. Good new on the sale! One less worry.

Me too! This week, although about 31 hours seems like a lot, most of it is for a Night Shift Wednesday night.

Sale is final, and funds should have been dispersed yesterday.

I'm gearing up for more company this weekend. Hoping to get more time time to DIS after the weekend.

How did that go?

Feeling recovered from that yet?

Thanks for the update -when you see the crash scene it really is a miracle he made it out alive! It must be really hard for you all to see him struggling and in pain. Praying for you all.

It is. Seeing him struggle to just sit up and to have to help him get his legs over the side of the bed to then stand up with the walker to then sit into the wheelchair is pretty hard. Thank goodness for good pain meds and PT!

This was a good size for a tour - not too big a group. You got some great family photos.

Thanks! And yes, it was just right. Enough to get some good questions out there, but not enough that we felt crowded.

Thank you - you took me back to my Higher Biology days and surprisingly it still made sense.

YAY!!! It's fun to use the higher skills from once upon a time now and again, I think! We're covering Meteorology in Ground School now and it's a fun review!

That's right I'm impressed! Thanks for taking us Behind the Seeds.

You're very welcome!

Thank you! I will definitely face towards the sunshine and drink it in (once I'm donned my sunglasses and put on my factor 50+ sun cream). Hope your own load lightens soon. :cool1: :flower1::love:

Thanks, Lady! Gearing up for the work week now. Starting with an evening shift in an hour or so....

All the time, that's part of why I write Trip Reports!

Me too! I knew I could find good company here!

On my tour they handed us one little slice of cucumber, we didn't get baggies or anything. :sad2:

Lame.

We skipped that part..... :sad2:

Aw shucks, cuz it was kinda cool to get to touch the leaves and watch them fold up.

And went right to that part.

But, I'm glad you got to see this part at least! I thought it was uber cool to see it do that with such dramatic flair!

Sorry, but I didn't really understand a word of that. :upsidedow

I admit, pretty technical. ;

Really is this what it has come to? Are there no simple pleasures left in children's lives?

It's so over-the-top ridiculous. So overly regulated and all. Seriously, if you think you might get sick, don't buy it. Stop taxing us to death under the guise of "keeping us safe". We don't want either! (Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now.)

Nice shot of the family. Funny to see that all of your kids are taller than you! :laughing:

Thanks, and yes... it's come to that. :rolleyes:

Ugh, definitely a long way to go. :worship:

Poor thing. Watching him transfer is pretty tough. :(

No worries, I'm just plugging away at it hoping that I don't forget everything since I don't take many notes on my trips out to DL, just longer trips.

I get it! I need to get moving on both as I'm about to announce my next trip.

Well we don't have berries here, but my tomatoes are just starting to ripen. Hopefully I get to eat them before some neighborhood critter comes along!

You mean at the house, yes? Mmm, summer fresh tomatoes. Nothing more delicious!

Thanks for the update on your Nathan. I have a Nathan, too, (fiance!) so he feels even dearer to my heart. I'm praying for his recovery, and wisdom for his medical team. It's amazing that he made it out of that crash. I'm sure you're used to seeing people healing from these types of injuries due to your line of work, but it must be harder when it's someone you care for. Just like you said, any progress is good! When I had my neurosurgery I wasn't sitting up until late day 2, and not walking anywhere on my own until about day 4. And everyone and every injury is different, I have no doubt. You're a busy bee these days, but we're all rooting for you guys!

Hi There, Lady!

You're welcome! And yes, you could still keep him lifted up if you don't mind! I took a peek at the legs yesterday and they look great, all things considered. Yes, a HUGE amount of swelling and bruising, but nothing alarming for this stage of the game.

Still lots to do and all. My son (19) is over there helping until Thursday, so that should ease some of the burden on him. It really would have been hard for him to get food or go potty, since he really can't swing his own legs over the side of the bed.

Hello Liesa! I'm late to the party, but just caught up on this TR and your other one, after reading your first one, so thought I'd stop and say hi. Love your humor and happy glass-half-full attitude. So sorry to hear about Nathan, sounds like he has a challenging road ahead...sending healing thoughts.

Never ever late to this party!!

:welcome::welcome::welcome:

So happy you're here and commenting! That's what makes writing a TR fun!

Thanks for your positive thoughts and well wishes!

Again, so glad you're here!

I love Livin' with the Land. I don't know what it is. I not really a gardener. My wife and I have a couple small flower beds and our knowledge and expertise is limited to going to the greenhouse and picking out plants that we think look nice without giving any real thought to sun/shade or how big the thing will get (yeah, made a few mistakes that way). Anyhow, on my first trip to WDW as a 9 year old, I remember being fascinated by the ride and that has stayed with me. So doing the tour has been on my bucket list, but I just have not been able to do it so far with kids who would roll their eyes at the thought and my dear wife who - bless her - is not at all into anything educational on vacation. (Side note: I took her on Carousel of Progress in 2008. She didn't like it because it was "too educational". Divorce crossed my mind that day...)

Me too! It was one of the first rides we did in EPCOT in 2000 and I immediately fell in love with the park. It was my fave in fact until I discovered AK. So we definitely have something in common there. :)

CoP?! Too educational...? Ummm..... ok. Just no.

Time for a solo trip...

I am, really and truly. I had no idea there was a plant like that. It makes me want to do this tour even more now. Seriously need to think about a solo trip. Considering DW and youngest DD are in WDW right now for the dance school trip, I think I may be owed a trip.

Well, hmmm.... November might be a really good time! ;) ;)

Thanks for letting us all know about Nathan. It's good to hear some progress is being made. Incredible how life can change suddenly.

You're very welcome! I'll give small updates along the way as he progresses. Next step is getting into the wheelchair by himself. Another week on that one I think. And yes, it can. Best to live like there's no tomorrow- there may not be one.

Well that's good! We have had our share of SNFs (not us, but my in laws, we know almost all the local ones, unfortunately)

Not a good claim to fame, sadly. They aren't fun places to hang out.

I think that was before we were following each other's reports. She was between arthritis meds so she was amped up on pain killers, fell asleep on the potty and when she got up her leg gave out and she fell. I was sound asleep and it took 45 minutes of hollering to wake me up to help her to bed. In the end she broke her femur and ankle and had to be off it for six weeks. I think her mom broker her tibia back in 2004.

Oh geez! That's horrible! I remember the time she had cellulitis, or at least a rendition of the story since. That's bad enough! And 45 minutes? Poor thing. So, so painful!

Friends...

An exciting announcement:

This lady is now in the planning phases of another dip into the Happy Spaces Where Trips of Dreams are made.

Specifically, I am headed to The World mid-November for Dapper Days, which is November 18th. It's an event I've wanted to hit up for several years, and the time seems ripe for such an occasion. Yes, I like to dress up in period clothing. Yes, I am aiming to be at Disney once a year now that I have a bona fide job. Yes, I am inviting anyone who wants to join me for the 18th for a bit.

Mostly this will be a solo trip, but would love to see folks come together on Main Street for a little stroll together. :)

I'm planning on hitting up a MVMCP, which I've never done as well, so am looking forward to that.

No, I'm not doing a PTR this time. My plate is full with 2 TRs that I've got going. If you want more drivel to read you can comment more or join my other thread (Link in sig) if you're not already there. ;)

Ok, no, seriously. I'd really LOVE to see a big group get together on the 18th!!

Anyone?

Anyone?

Bueller....?

Friends...

An exciting announcement:

This lady is now in the planning phases of another dip into the Happy Spaces Where Trips of Dreams are made.

Specifically, I am headed to The World mid-November for Dapper Days, which is November 18th. It's an event I've wanted to hit up for several years, and the time seems ripe for such an occasion. Yes, I like to dress up in period clothing. Yes, I am aiming to be at Disney once a year now that I have a bona fide job. Yes, I am inviting anyone who wants to join me for the 18th for a bit.

Mostly this will be a solo trip, but would love to see folks come together on Main Street for a little stroll together. :)

I'm planning on hitting up a MVMCP, which I've never done as well, so am looking forward to that.

No, I'm not doing a PTR this time. My plate is full with 2 TRs that I've got going. If you want more drivel to read you can comment more or join my other thread (Link in sig) if you're not already there. ;)

Ok, no, seriously. I'd really LOVE to see a big group get together on the 18th!!

Anyone?

Anyone?

Bueller....?

I wish!! November is one of those times of year I've never been to WDW and have been wanting to go... but I've already got August and January in the works, and school schedule (and lack of job!) won't allow for any more trips than that for the time being. This sounds like amazing fun for you though! Can't wait to hear all about it :)

My next trip is Vegas, September 17-21. Staying downtown at The Fremont.

Then WDW September 2018. So if anyone wants to meet up that's it for me.

Might be taking a trip out to Seattle/Portland in spring of 2018 to see people.

This lady is back from a very nice vacation out and this TR will now resume.

Welcome home! :)

HOW IS EVERYONE?

Not too bad. I got back from my vacation with a very sore neck. Unfortunately it's just been getting worse instead of better. Starting to think about seeing a doctor soon.

What are you all doing/(or did) for the holiday(s) (yes, Canadians, you can chime in too, as I know you had a fairly big deal Canada Day this year!)?

Well... I managed to miss both!
I was in the USA for Canada Day and in Canada for Independence day!

The connection was an altogether different story! Yikes!

Oh? Do tell?

I wonder why it's more, and if that translates into fewer Private Pilots in general.

I have no clue.

Here's a photo I took on my trip (t made me think of you):

19657180_1597588403586757_5493204603427132874_n.jpg

It did? Awww! I did see that on FB and it made me smile.

Ah, time. Something I wished I had a crapton more of.

Ugh. Yeah... Stop spinning for a minute, world.

Life is almost always full to the brim of stuff I've taken on. Work hard; play harder is a good motto for me. And yes, this vacation was exactly what I needed... perfectly timed.

Good! Glad to hear it!

Ugh... I'm sucking bad here. Hopefully this round I can catch up a bit.

Letters K-R!

Today was a pretty normal day getting unpacked and my laundry done until this happened:

a4ad0bc5-54fb-43eb-a5a1-34603d021ecc-large16x9_carsonfire.jpg

My son-in-law was the driver of the car on its side and was pulled from it just before it ignited and burned.

Both of his legs were broken, he has a cracked vertebra, and will have surgery tomorrow.

Please, PLEASE drive safely on this holiday weekend! The other driver ran his stop sign and T-boned him. :(

I'm sorry I didn't respond to this sooner, here. But I did see it on FB (and I was lucky to, as I don't check there very often)

From what I've seen on FB, he's doing better, although will be home for a while, correct?
Thoughts and prayers to him and all his (extended) family.

Surgery went well; he has full length rods-one in the R femur, another in the L tibia. Estimates are he'll be in hospital for about 4 days. The first responder called my daughter who pulled him out of he car that was already on fire. Bek was able to thank him for saving his life. Pretty cool story....
Wow. That is cool... but would've been better if the idiot who ran the stop hadn't hit him in the first place. :sad2:

See? I knew my DISFriends would relate to this!

Absolutely!

Wouldn't it be hilarious if someone who knew that it would happen came prepared with a little single serving of Ranch? :rotfl2:

I could see Danielle doing this, she loves ranch on everything. Might have to try this.

I do know that no all varieties do this. Hit and miss I think.

The next time I see one I'm going to have to touch it.

If you like LwtL, you will LOVE this tour! I promise! They go WAY in depth, you can touch stuff, etc... it's great fun!

I was looking real hard at that desk back in May. I'm going back for Mardi Gras but I'm going to help Michelle with the kids.

You're welcome. They can use and appreciate all the prayers sent on their behalf!

I'll keep praying.

Sale is final, and funds should have been dispersed yesterday.

:dancer:

How did that go?

Feeling recovered from that yet?

Not yet. I ended up with my sister and her daughter Monday night. This weekend is John Paul's baptism so maybe the following weekend. I'm tired of cleaning house.

I've done it twice and am now itching to move on to the Train Tour. Still would love to do the Keys to the Kingdom one.

I really want to do the train tour. Maybe next time with my boys!

Keys to the Kingdom was a lot of fun. I'm willing to bet you know most of the information they'd give you, but it's always neat to peek behind the scenes.

Hey! Don't bash the Dolly Ride. If it weren't for it, we'd be 95% down on the joke fodder.

But the bashing IS the joke!

Really? Even cucumbers, Mark? :sad2:

:crazy2:

What to do when you arrive early for your kid's orthodontist appointment? Reply to threads! And it's your turn! :)

Have you ever done something that was so fun, you just had to share it with others?

Well, yes... but sometimes the even better stuff you just can't share with anyone else.

You’re in the middle of it and say to yourself, “I sure wish so and so was here, I really think they’d love doing/seeing/experiencing this!”

::yes:: Done that a few times on my solos. I'd stare at something and wish I had someone by my side to share it with.

The Behind the Seeds Tour. I realize this may sound dry and too “educational” for some

Yup!

Except I know better. I've heard too many people rave about this tour.

Every “tour guide” for this 2-hour tour (so much better than the 3 hour variety!)

Bite your tongue! Nothing beats a good Gilligan's Island!

(Takes time to become jaundiced and dread Monday mornings, ya know….)

Yup. Usually.... that first Monday.

(trust me, every Saturday I endure the endless muttering about gardening),

That was me when I was a kid.
#1 Reason why we have almost zero garden in the front and zero in the back.

“Is it going to be fun?” I retorted with a question of my own: “Have you ever done anything at Disney that wasn’t?”

I actually stopped and thought about that.....

I couldn't think of anything.

This photo op nearby never gets old.

IMG_1308.jpg

Great shot! I hadn't seen that perspective before. My shots are usually shot from when you enter the building.

the biological pest control room (sounds like birth control to me, but whatever).

Hmmm.... So kids = pests.

Yup! That's about right!

Here they are breeding various beasties to introduce to the plants to keep them healthy by eating the larvae of other species.

Interesting. No, really!

But on this tour, you get 2 hours of pretty cool explanations and even some snacks. And guess what? They’e free. (I heard your gasp of disbelief; I almost fainted from stupification as well.)

Um....

Ok, ok, they weren’t technically free since we paid for the tour

... there you go!

Keep calm and chive on.

Our guide told us to gently touch the leaves of this bush and to watch what happened. I’d grown up with this plant in California, so knew what to expect, but when it folded it’s leaves up completely in half when they stroked the length of the bipinnate leaves it was great to see the surprise on their faces.

We used to have one of those in a pot in our kitchen. We loved making the leaves closed.
Probably why it died. We did it all. the. time.

Mimosa pudica is well known for its rapid plant movement. Like a number of other plant species, it undergoes changes in leaf orientation termed "sleep" or nyctinasticmovement. The foliage closes during darkness and reopens in light.[11] This was first studied by the French scientist Jean-Jacques d'Ortous de Mairan.

The leaflets also close when stimulated in other ways, such as touching, warming, blowing, or shaking. These types of movements have been termed seismonasticmovements. The stimulus is transmitted as an action potential from a stimulated leaflet, to the leaflet's swollen base (pulvinus), and from there to the pulvini of the other leaflets, which run along the length of the leaf's rachis. The action potential then passes into the petiole, and finally to the large pulvinus at the end of the petiole, where the leaf attaches to the stem. The action potential causes potassium ions to flow out from the vacuoles of cells in the various pulvini. This causes water to flow out from those cells by osmosis through aquaporin channels, making them lose turgor, which is the force that is applied onto the cell wall by water within the cell. Differences in turgidity in different regions of the leaf and stem results in the closing of the leaflets and the collapse of the leaf petiole.[12]

This movement of folding inwards is energetically costly for the plant and also interferes with the process of photosynthesis.[13] This characteristic is quite common within the Mimosoideae subfamily of the legume family, Fabaceae. The stimulus can also be transmitted to neighboring leaves. It is not known exactly why Mimosa pudicaevolved this trait, but many scientists think that the plant uses its ability to shrink as a defense from herbivores. Animals may be afraid of a fast moving plant and would rather eat a less active one. Another possible explanation is that the sudden movement dislodges harmful insects.[citation needed]

You could have just said "It's cool. Don't know how it works." and I would have understood just as well.

She grabbed the base of the bush and gave it a good shake- you know… the kind you want to give to the guy who cuts you off in a parking lot.

Yes.

Or takes a flash photo on Pirates.

YES!!

IMG_1321.jpg

She grabbed the base of the bush and gave it a good shake- you know… the kind you want to give to the guy who cuts you off in a parking lot. Or takes a flash photo on Pirates. The WHOLE bush went from full and bushy and round, to Charlie Brown’s Christmas tree-esque. The volume change was dramatic and elicited the appropriate oohs and aaaahs.

IMG_1322.jpg

Cool!!!
Ours was just a little one that sat on the windowsill, so I never did that.
But... Man! That's really dramatic!

You can thank me later for not making a comment here.

But I'm sure @Captain_Oblivious did. His mind's like that.

When life gives you lemons like this: pay the ridiculous city permit fee and have your kids open a lemonade stand.

:sad2: Stupidest thing I'd heard in a long time.

The fish explode to the surface in a frenzy. It reminded me of a typical dinner at my house when I bring home a pizza.

:laughing:

You know that "sustainable fish" you can order here and there around the World? Now you know where it comes from. Again, you're welcome.

From the crazed tourists on the tour. Gotcha.
So... thanks for the fish, Liesa!

We ended the tour with some sniffings of various tropical spices and my kids were blown away that allspice was a unique plant, not a conglomeration of spices. I think the name is a bit deceiving, so it was fun to see the lights go on when they learned that.

I never really thought about it. One way or another. But now I know. :)

Nice shot! Mikki especially looks a lot like you. Twins!

It took EVERYTHING in me to resist throttling the thing to watch it shrivel in terror of me. I can’t do that to the people who take 8 years to order at Starbucks, sadly.

Are you sure??
Have you looked for cameras? It would be his/her word against everyone else in line... and they'd have your back, I'd bet.

Nice! Love the framing.

Just thought I'd throw some general housekeeping items your way:

Read all that. And of course I PMd you and knew some of that.
Didn't know about him puking when they sat him up, but I'm not surprised.
Hope he's doing better.

You are? Hey! That's great! Good for you!

When you say "This lady".
Just you? You and DH? You and a few select kids?

Specifically, I am headed to The World mid-November for Dapper Days, which is November 18th.

I've heard of it... so Googled. Cool!

Yes, I am inviting anyone who wants to join me for the 18th for a bit.

Hmmm...

I am thinking sometime in October/November.
But probably won't be there that late.

But I'll let ya know!

Ohhhh.... I've never done that either.

Hmmm......

Anyone?

Anyone?

Bueller....?

:laughing: Well, like I said. Doubtful, but.... I'll see and let you know. :)

I wish!! November is one of those times of year I've never been to WDW and have been wanting to go... but I've already got August and January in the works, and school schedule (and lack of job!) won't allow for any more trips than that for the time being. This sounds like amazing fun for you though! Can't wait to hear all about it :)

Aw, you'll be missed!

November is a great time, earlier though is a bit more ideal. I think I may be pushing the envelope for busy-ness getting into the Christmas party dates. Ah well, Dapper Days was the goal, so went with that. :)

As for school schedules, Oh, how I do get that. Did that for 4 long years, so totally understand!

Well considering we're there October 25-November 2, I don't think we'll be making it. :sad2:

Well, shucks, Alison! I'll just miss you by a few days. :(

My next trip is Vegas, September 17-21. Staying downtown at The Fremont.

Then WDW September 2018. So if anyone wants to meet up that's it for me.

Might be taking a trip out to Seattle/Portland in spring of 2018 to see people.

But Vegas sounds fun! I've only ever done it once when I was about 8 or 9. So, yeah, don't remember a lot, and I"m sure a lot has changed since then.

If you get to the PNW, let's plan to get together. :) I can always travel to Portland for a dinner or such. And you'd certainly be welcome to pop on down to Salem for dinner at the house!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter