ABCs of A Trip Worth Waiting For + PNWMM: P: A Practically Perfect Pacific NW Mouse Meet- pg. 26

Nice day in DL, you got some nice pics.

Fun that you got to ride the trolley with the Dapper Dans. I have seen them at MK a couple times. My ex- BIL is a barbershop singer and on our 2011 trip we saw them and he mentioned that he sang barbershop and they asked him to join them, asked him which part he sang and the one that did his part stepped out and he took that spot, it was really cool, people were stopping to watch an taking pics, too. They gave him a little card that said he was an honorary Dan. I guess they must do that often if they have cards to give out but I had never seen it before.

Thanks, Kind Sir! Yes, it's been at times quite overwhelming to put together an international medical team, but major progress today and feeling good with where we're at.

Oh, that is by no means the end of my day! That was the first installment... still have DCA and DTD to go. :) LOTS more eggs to find and a nice evening meal to end with. :)

Glad to hear you're getting some good progress on it! The only thing I can add for traveling third world is take your own TP or at least some wipies :teeth:

Huzzah for more fun at DCA and DTD! :cool1:

I leave for WDW on November 11th for a week of solo R&R before heading directly to Sierra Leone out of DC on the 21st.

That'll be a busy month!

If you are inclined to pack up a Care Kit, or 2, or 5, or 10, please PM RIGHT AWAY as our cargo container of supplies is leaving DC on Sept. 20th. Our goal is 1,000 kits! Now, back to our tour of Disneyland!

Is there still time to give monetarily?

I was quite pleased that they are going to include a little piece from my neck of the woods- the Columbia River. The river, which runs through the Columbia River Gorge is quite impressive. The Gorge itself is home to dozens of year-round waterfalls and several large dams which are open for tours all year.

I'm looking forward to the drive and the waterfalls! Who knows, maybe we'll take one of those dam tours too.

Can you taste the beignets? Are you now hungry for a big dish of pommes frites?

::yes::

Boo.

But, now with a steady income, I have a good feeling this was just the beginning of many trips.

I like the sound of that!

He got more giddy than a DISDad at a BBQ.

:eek: Whoa. That's awfully giddy.

Not only were they singing, they were singing ON the trolley. They were taking the trolley up and down Main Street singing turn-of-the-century-style tunes for anyone who cared to board.

Very fun!

I rode it up and back because apparently there are very few people who seem to enjoy Barbershop anymore. Such a shame that true musical talent has been so lost on so many. Maybe they mistake auto-tuning for skill…

Don't get me started on auto-tune...

I remember fondly my days in men's choir in high school. So much fun. And awesome harmony.

@Captain_Oblivious On phone and can't do replies, but wanted to answer your question...

Yes, still time!!

Go to Zaindriss Foundation. Org

On that page there'll be a link. Just in the notes section, say it's for The November Medical Outreach. :)

Last edited:

Can you taste the beignets? Are you now hungry for a big dish of pommes frites? Too bad. I wanted some too, but the wait to get into Café Orleans was 45 minutes.

This really made me hungry. Also made me want to go to DL because this part sounds so different than anything at WDW, well other than POFQ I guess lol.

Love the trolley ride with the singers :)) Must have been so much fun and just a different experience.

Your trip to Sierra Leone sounds like such an incredible journey. I can't imagine. I'm sure it will be really difficult at times, but to be able to go and do something that makes a difference must be the best feeling in the world. It is too bad about the vaccines and it does seem pretty fishy and very upsetting that more can't be done about that.

I'm sure you will be back to flying in no time as well. Life does sure sound busy though!

Nice day in DL, you got some nice pics.

Aww, thanks!

Fun that you got to ride the trolley with the Dapper Dans. I have seen them at MK a couple times. My ex- BIL is a barbershop singer and on our 2011 trip we saw them and he mentioned that he sang barbershop and they asked him to join them, asked him which part he sang and the one that did his part stepped out and he took that spot, it was really cool, people were stopping to watch an taking pics, too. They gave him a little card that said he was an honorary Dan. I guess they must do that often if they have cards to give out but I had never seen it before.

WOW! That is a GREAT story!

I don't think I'd ever have the nerve to join in with them having sung B.S. (Barbershop ;) ) myself. The closest I've ever gotten to Honorary Anything at Disney was an Honorary Monorail Driver when they still did that. I read not long ago a blog post about the rigorous tryouts they have to undergo... holy mackerel!

Glad to hear you're getting some good progress on it! The only thing I can add for traveling third world is take your own TP or at least some wipies :teeth:

And that right there is some mighty fine advice!! I will add that to my growing list necessary items!!
Huzzah for more fun at DCA and DTD! :cool1:

Yus!

Huge shout out to my DISTribe!

Here's what only a few can accomplish to brighten the smiles in far way places.

img_0296-jpg.266740

In addition to the Care Kits, my friends here have given over $800 towards this Medical Outreach Project! Astounding! Only $1,800 to go before we have the funds needed for travel and in country expenses.

Still not too late to help provide a healthier future! ;)

That'll be a busy month!

Yes, very. But still managing to keep my head above water and give time to the most important things.

Is there still time to give monetarily?

See message up there ^^. But will PM you as well!

I'm looking forward to the drive and the waterfalls! Who knows, maybe we'll take one of those dam tours too.

You will love them! The earlier in the summer, the better for obvious reasons.

And you dam well better. At the Bonneville dam you can see the fish swim up the ladder and the gubment workers counting them. Also there is a neat display of how the locks system works that the kids can play with. Well, at least there was a few years back. Oh! And you can feed the fish at the hatchery too. That's pretty fun.

:eek: Whoa. That's awfully giddy.

And I didn't even mention bacon. Can you imagine the giddy factor going into that?

Don't get me started on auto-tune...

I remember fondly my days in men's choir in high school. So much fun. And awesome harmony.

I sang in the Sweet Adelines in college. It was a LOT of fun! Sometimes I wish I had more time to do all of the hobbies I'd like to.

Sounds like a lovely day just enjoying the park and it's ambiance. I need to come out there and do that with you. So many of the people I go with are on a mission and that doesn't include sitting and just looking at the world go by. Neat that you enjoyed so many musical groups as well as the scenery.

Go to Zaindriss Foundation. Org

Thanks! Just did!

I loved your morning in Disneyland. So many great detail pictures. Someday I would like to tour a park alone, just for the day. I really enjoyed the clips too. Gaston had me laughing and the Dapper Dans were perfect.

I apologize for the long delays between posts! When I was invited to travel to Sierra Leone, Africa, I had no idea I would become the main Team Leader and organizer for the work we’ll be doing.

What?? You are? Holy crap! How did that happen!

Here they are to give you an idea in case you're so inclined to participate:

I did! I did!

We may end up helping in the hospital while we are there as well.

Oh! This is new as well.

Apparently, after speaking with multiple MDs who also work in Africa, the entire continent is devoid of them.

Insane. How is that even possible?

While my heart breaks over this, is also makes me indescribably angry that a humanitarian/healthcare hole of this magnitude can exist on 21st Century Earth.

Just... no words.

If you are the praying type, our team of 4 could certainly use as many as we can get.

Done.

Our goal is 1,000 kits!

Whoa! That's a lot! I hope you can come even anywhere near that!

so you can see all the lovely music clips I got.

Or not. I'm at work.

Many of you know I grew up in SoCal and spent quite a lot of childhood days in Old Town San Diego and at our local Ramona Bowl in Hemet.

I did, but I didn't know the details.

I’m a macro-girl at heart.

This I knew.

I both, found the egg (hardest one of the bunch) and actually did ride the ride.

You did!
Did you suffer from IBS after?

and the jazzy BGM makes my heart beat in a zydeco rhythm

BGM?

Can you taste the beignets?

::yes::

tummy to feeeeeeeeed! But that had to wait….

Had to wait??? But you had to feeeeeeeeeeeeeeed it!

But, now with a steady income, I have a good feeling this was just the beginning of many trips.

Nice!

I spy with my little eye… Donald Ducky way up high!

Nice catch. Must've been a tough one to find.

And then a little further on, I had the opportunity to make someone happy. Pkondz’s daughter, Kay, was dying to meet Gaston, and he proved to be very elusive on most days. I think the day before this, she got a quick photo op with him, but this was too good to pass up. He was strutting by and I approached and asked him to show me his muscles. He got more giddy than a DISDad at a BBQ. Later that night, which I’ll get to, I wasn’t sure who ended up being more giddy, he or Kay when I gave it to her.

:laughing: I'm thinking Kay.

Dapper Dans. Not only were they singing, they were singing ON the trolley. They were taking the trolley up and down Main Street singing turn-of-the-century-style tunes for anyone who cared to board. PICK ME! PICK ME!

:laughing: I am so not surprised.

I did a double quick U-turn

Wait.... then that would put you back in the direction you were originally travelling.

I defy you to find another group anywhere else on earth that gives as tight a performance as these guys

Nope. Not gonna take you up on that one.

Maybe they mistake auto-tuning for skill…

:sad2:

Awesome getting those care packages together! Hope you and yours are doing okay thru all of the smoke. Our air quality has been in the crapper for about a week now - finally got some rain today though!

As someone who was much better in math & science in school, it's funny how the complaints about these problems echo my own problems with English class. I'd read a passage about a character contemplating a pig in a butcher shop, killed in his prime to be a meal for others. What does this animal symbolize? What is the meaning to our protagonist?

And I'd shrug my shoulders and say, "I dunno. The guy's probably hungry and thinking, 'Mmm....bacon.'"
I know I'm late to the party (story of my life it seems), but 100% agreed. I use the science and math WAY more than the English or History classes. Don't get me wrong, now that I'm older, History interests me more than it did, but as a teenager, I was saying who really gives a BLEEP about X? I do also know those who forget history are doomed to repeat it, so as I said, I'm much more interested now.

All this talk about bacon...now I'm hungry.

I've had a lot of things under my nose, like jars of mystery things from the fridge, suspect baby bottoms, etc..., but never any white powders.
Ummm...if you've had suspect (baby powdered) baby bottoms, then you HAVE had white powder!

Pool? No. Corvettes? No, those go in MY garage.
Well, you got the word correct (MY), but the ownership of that word incorrect. That would be MY (docsoliday1) garage, thank ya very much!

Side story:

I was talking with a surgeon the other day, and somehow we got on the subject of his car, and I asked him what he drove. "What do you drive, a Corvette?"

"What do you think I am, White Trash??"
Not at all surprised, that would be BENEATH a Dr.

Deodorant failure imminent. Bwoop, bwoop.
<Astro> Ruh roh George!

This reminds me, I'd better check my rental car for this week!!! It'd be JUST like me to show up at the wrong counter and have a hissy that they didn't have my car ready.
Yep, who knows if you'll end up at Avis, Hertz, Enterprise, National or Alamo? Hopefully, one will work.

Last edited:
Hey! How is everyone doing? I finally caught up here. Fun little Easter Egg hunt! Did you say how many total there were to find?

Love the artistic pics with your elusive camera!
wow! Your trip is coming along, and I hope you can get some vaccines. I can't believe they do not have them in this day and age with all the charity organizations. Although I will say they run out often and we wait for them to make more here, so there are not enough to go around. No one talks about it.
And then there are your wings! So excited for you, and I j know you will get some awesome pics!
So fun to get another DIS meet at Sam's!
We have news. Mark and Lindz have added a seventh baby, a 3 month old, to their crazy household. She is yet another sibling to their two youngest. She is precious and how could we not love her? I did say we will have to have more help with caring for all of them, though.
Nice to see Mustard here! Haven't seen you around FB much.
have a good weekend and pray for our friends in Florida. Some of our DIS friends and some of our good friends from here coming and going on cruises are waiting out the storm.

Last edited:
Alright, super behind... again. I do have 100% legit excuses and the cool part, many of YOU are part of this thing that's turned into a big, beautiful, but very, VERY time-consuming Monster.

Here's the deets as I know them.

Being the main point person and coordinator for this Medical Outreach Trip has sucked all of my free time including roughly 40 hours a week (very likely more). On top of the 20-25 hours a week I'm doing my day job. There have been endless phone calls and emails that have led to one disappointing dead-end after another, false lead, after false lead; endless conversations with miniscule progress with each one.

After literally MONTHS of searching for a charity who deals with donated medical goods, and then going through the, at times very frustrating, process of becoming an approved NGO with an approved Trip, words cannot even begin to describe the elation that washed over me as I received the invoices and shipping manifests for our supplies.

I'd suggest you sit down...

When I opened the finalized document, the total for all of the donated and purchased medical supplies, including surgical supplies, medications, antibiotics, etc..., it came to over $130,000! It is now on its way to our Headquarters where it will be put on a cargo container to be shipped straight to Freetown!!

On top of that, I was able to ship 25 Hospital and School Kits (again made possible by several of YOU!!) plus 2 HUGE boxes of surgical supplies donated by my own company to be sent ahead of us as well.

But for me, that's not the best part. I have been told so many times that online friends aren't REAL friends. That is a load of horse manure told by those who have never been involved in a living, dynamic community such as the DIS where many deep friendships have been born. Of the $4,000 needed to cover our travel costs to go and do the Healthcare Teaching we are planning, over $3,150 has been donated.... and nearly $1,000 of that has COME FROM DISPeeps!! You are all amazing!!! From the bottom of my heart thank you. We will need that last $850, and we have until the end of September to raise that. God's big; He's got this, so I do not worry. :)

Also ANY unused meds in their ORIGINAL bottles or containers can be used, even if close or past expiration. Got medical supplies you aren't going to use? Old splints? Walking boots? Ace Bandages? Let me know... we have a clinic in the slum area that would love to receive any or all!!!!!!! Just PM me if you want to be part of this Project in any way.

My aunt and our CEO will be taking our passports and visa applications in on Monday. I'm busy making packing lists, writing our lesson plans, talking with the physician that runs the clinics we'll be visiting, and generally just getting giddy that things are coming together so nicely. It hasn't been easy but sooooooo, SO worth it. Soon, I will fulfill my long-time dream of dancing with my African brothers and sisters to the beat of drums and help bring some much needed training and smiles along the way. Thank you to all of you who are part of this big, beautiful Monster!!!

Last edited:
Wow! Your project has amazing progress! I am so happy for you. :dogdance:I know this mission will be a huge blessing to those you serve!

So glad this is all progressing. I'll check my medical box and see what I can send you. Unfortunately I donated many of the supplies I thought that I had in trying to move out of the old house, but I do have some stuff I can send you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!