The ABCs of An EPIC Girls' Trip! May, 2019-Q is for: Quietly Sending this Trip Report off Into an Internet Sunset (8/25)

It was just precious! Almost as precious as the photo I have on the monorail with this princess:

Still one of my favorites! Love that picture.

Yeah, with a lot of help!
Uh huh, sure...we believe you.

LOL!!! See? I aim to please everyone.
Same one for me and Mark. I like seafood, but as I mentioned in Lesley's TR, I often desire more simplistic or plain versions without many of the sauces. Since I don't like spicy food in general, many of your options would be no go for me simply because of that. Actually, many of the options at F&W were a no go for me because of that.

:wave:

Still here! Promise.

It seems like the more I try to have time for things like the DIS, the less I have for it. Grr

So here is that promised snippit of my end of the magical pixie dust!. I still can't believe it happened!

I was sitting in my chair at home with the fam the day before travel day, not discussing anything and containing my excitement so I didn't irritate the "angry at me" family. Then it happened. It went something like this:
Phone rings:
Looking and seeing it was Liesa.
Hmmm, wonder what is up, so answered "Hey Liesa, what's up, everything ok?"
Liesa says "Um, I just had a weird thing happen".
Me: "Ok, is everything ok?" (thinking the worst of course)
Liesa: "Are you sitting down?"
Me: (thinking oh no, what happened) "Yup, what's up?"
Liesa: Goes into story about not answering her phone and calling back cause it seemed weird she was getting a call from Orlando area code then say's "WE GOT UPGRADED!"
Me: "Ok, that's cool, what kinda upgrade?" (me thinking a regular room to maybe a suite of some sort.)
Liesa: "THE GRAND!"
Me: "Yeah, right, you're funny! Now what really?"
Liesa: "No, REALLY".
Me: "Umm...are you being serious? "
Liesa: "Yup, what do you think about that?"
Me: " I think it's not very nice of you to be playing with me"
Liesa: "I'm serious! We got upgraded to THE GRAND! and I wanted to make sure you didn't use your luggage tags so your luggage didn't get lost"
Me: "Are you sure this is real? This isn't you pulling a joke on me?"
Liesa: "Nope, it's real, can you believe it?"
Me: "Uh, no, actually, and I won't until I am actually in a room there."

I truly didn't believe it until I arrived at Magical Express and they scanned my band and said "Oh, I see your checking into the GRAND. Please proceed to line 1. Your bus will be here shortly"

That's when it really hit home that I was going to be staying at the one resort on Disney property that I never in my lifetime imagined I would.

Still here! Promise.

It seems like the more I try to have time for things like the DIS, the less I have for it. Grr

So here is that promised snippit of my end of the magical pixie dust!. I still can't believe it happened!

I was sitting in my chair at home with the fam the day before travel day, not discussing anything and containing my excitement so I didn't irritate the "angry at me" family. Then it happened. It went something like this:
Phone rings:
Liesa: Goes into story about not answering her phone and calling back cause it seemed weird she was getting a call from Orlando area code then say's "WE GOT UPGRADED!"
Me: "Ok, that's cool, what kinda upgrade?" (me thinking a regular room to maybe a suite of some sort.)
Liesa: "I'm serious! We got upgraded to THE GRAND! and I wanted to make sure you didn't use your luggage tags so your luggage didn't get lost"

I truly didn't believe it until I arrived at Magical Express and they scanned my band and said "Oh, I see your checking into the GRAND. Please proceed to line 1. Your bus will be here shortly"

That's when it really hit home that I was going to be staying at the one resort on Disney property that I never in my lifetime imagined I would.
Wish I could do both a haha and a love reaction since I love it and it's funny.
I think I would've had a hard time believing it also. Not sure if it's because it was Liesa or just so unusual. :lmao:

O is for: Outboards, Oysters and One(s) for the Birds

DTD continues to deliver pleasant surprises with several recent dining success stories recently. I had made an ADR beforehand, rather than squeezing in a last-minute visit like I did at the Terralina, for the Boathouse after hearing and seeing so many good reviews. Going in, I had no idea what to expect having done really no in-depth research on my own. But the dishes that I had seen reviewed looked and sounded great and I was eager to try something new. I didn’t want to be out late, so made it on the early side while it was still light out. It was a good move, as I was able to dine by daylight, stroll through DTD just as it was getting dark, and still be “home” at a decent time.

I paused outside to watch an amphicar launch sending out a pattern of ripples toward the Dockside Bar, then entered the nautically-themed restaurant. The friendly waitstaff checked me in and, during the short wait, before I was shown to my window-side table, I browsed the spacious and bright interior taking in all the clever, yet classy, touches throughout. The main attraction in the entry area was the huge and quite busy fresh oyster bar. I loved the decor immediately.

I honestly don’t know what I had envisioned, but it was NOT this. I guess I had pictured a more sedate and darker atmosphere- the kind usually reserved for Signature Dining. Instead, with the high ceilings made to resemble a boat’s overturned hull, lighter, yellow woods throughout, and an interesting fusion of nautical, edging on industrial/steampunk theming, it was perfectly comfortable. If anything, and this might be my one complaint, it was pretty loud. There was very little to dampen the noise level, and while it did lend a trendy, hip vibe, it might not be the place for an intimate date after an amphicar ride. Instead, if your heart's still set on seafood, request patio seating or head to the rooftop at Paddlefish. I haven't tried it myself, but the photos I've seen make it look like a nice place to be.

It wasn’t long before I was seated at a perfect table with a water view, and was greeted quickly by my server.

A word about her… I cannot for the life of me remember her name, but she was probably the best server I have ever had on Disney property. She was that good. Attentive, but not overly so; extremely knowledgeable but not pushy or stuffy. She carefully explained how the menu worked and what options I had to have a small piece of beef added to my entrée. She knew exactly which cuts were available, how big they’d be, all without peeking or even hesitating. She had a drink recommendation ready, knew her specials like I know David Bowie songs, and was super friendly to boot. I would go back to the Boathouse in a flash simply because of her alone, however I won’t have to. The food is also a very good reason to warrant a repeat visit.

I started off with a red sangria and an order of Oysters Rockafeller. I believe they may have been a special as I don't see them on the menu. I’m not sure I’d ever had them before, but they were absolutely divine! I cannot stomach the thought of eating raw oysters, but remember telling @franandaj I would if she bought my 2nd drink to do it someday. LOL! But these are cooked and so yummy and creamy.

I cannot for the life of me remember (I either have really bad memory issues or am running out of lives) what I got to eat for my main course, but it was fish of some iteration. I did add a tiny piece of filet to it as well and it was perfectly medium-rare, just the way I like it! There were some rolls brought with my drink earlier on, but I tend to leave that untouched saving room for the better nom-noms.

This place definitely gets a double thumbs up from Steppe. Superb service, fantastic food and a clean, well-themed venue right in the middle of the DTD action.

Earlier in the day, I'd visited Magic Kingdom. Every single time I go, I see some new detail or gem Imagineered to make Disney parks what they are. I never get tired of discovering new things and find myself smiling each and every time.

This time, as I was looking up while in line at Splash, I noticed a pretty sizeable collection of handcrafted one-of-a-kind birdhouses that I'd not ever noticed before. Perhaps I'm late to the game on this, but it was new and fun to me. So, I'mma sharing them with you. Please, enjoy this little menagerie of miniature houses from everyone's favorite Laughing Place!!

The theme carries over to the ride....

There were loads more, but I didn't manage to get a good shot of them all. Needless to say, each is charming and unique and worth tipping your head up for.

And now, to top this chapter off... I HAD to share a little something even more special with you all! My neighbors introduced themselves a few months back and shared that they are from South Africa. I LOVE travel and especially love trying ethnic foods when I do. But I have not gotten to visit S. Africa and most likely may never, but I HAVE visited Boma. And the one dish I am absolutely in love with there is Bobotie (pronounced bow-bow-tee as I was kindly corrected)!! I usually have at least a couple of small servings when I eat there along with the Pap and the Chakalaka. YUM!! Anyway, I mentioned that I love Bobotie and his face began to beam. "You KNOW Bobotie??!?!" "Yes, I do and I love it!". "Well, we MUST have you for dinner!" We've just not been able to find a time to get together, but just now, I got a knock on the door and Pierre was standing there with this:

"My wife just made this and we wanted to share it with you!"

They hadn't forgotten!

It was fantastic! Even better than Boma as it had more curry and generally more flavor. Soooo good! My advice? Love your neighbor. You never know what gifts you may find come your way or what you might be able to give in return.

Last edited:

Still here! Promise.

Phone rings:

That's a great story! Thanks for sharing that!!! :goodvibes

the Boathouse after hearing and seeing so many good reviews.
Yes! I've heard nothing but good things about it. :)
I was able to dine by daylight, stroll through DTD just as it was getting dark, and still be “home” at a decent time.
Very nice. :)
I loved the decor immediately.
I'm quite surprised by your photos. Not what I expected. Not sure what I expected, but... not that.
I guess I had pictured a more sedate and darker atmosphere
Actually. Yes. That. That's what I expected too.
If anything, and this might be my one complaint, it was pretty loud.
Hmm... shame. But... I guess it comes with the design.
I was seated at a perfect table with a water view,
Nice! Did you ask for a window table?
she was probably the best server I have ever had on Disney property.
Wow! That's saying quite a bit!
She knew exactly which cuts were available, how big they’d be, all without peeking or even hesitating.
Impressive. And... that's the way it should be (but seldom is.)
knew her specials like I know David Bowie songs,
I had no idea you were a Bowie fan (at least not that much of one.)
I would go back to the Boathouse in a flash simply because of her alone, however I won’t have to. The food is also a very good reason to warrant a repeat visit.
High praise indeed. :)
Oysters Rockafeller.
Yum! I haven't had Oysters Rockefeller in ages! Now I know where to get them. :)
Did you like them?
I’m not sure I’d ever had them before, but they were absolutely divine!
What made you try them?
I cannot stomach the thought of eating raw oysters, but remember telling @franandaj I would if she bought my 2nd drink to do it someday.
@franandaj , please make this happen next month! With photos! :lmao:
This place definitely gets a double thumbs up from Steppe. Superb service, fantastic food and a clean, well-themed venue right in the middle of the DTD action.
I just put this place high on my wish list. :)
never get tired of discovering new things and find myself smiling each and every time.
::yes::
as I was looking up while in line at Splash, I noticed a pretty sizeable collection of handcrafted one-of-a-kind birdhouses that I'd not ever noticed before
I have seen those. Maybe not all of them... but... ::yes::
Please, enjoy this little menagerie of miniature houses from everyone's favorite Laughing Place!!
I did! Thanks!
I HAD to share a little something even more special with you all!
Even more special than the best server you've ever had???
But I have not gotten to visit S. Africa and most likely may never,
You never know. Did you think you'd get to Sierra Leone?
(pronounced bow-bow-tee as I was kindly corrected)!!
Huh. I thought (when I read it) that it was Bow-bow-tye.
"Well, we MUST have you for dinner!"
Related image
It certainly looks interesting. I'd try that for sure!

They hadn't forgotten!
Awww. :)
It was fantastic! Even better than Boma as it had more curry and generally more flavor.
Even better... wait... of course! Home made usually beats restaurant. :)
My advice? Love your neighbor. You never know what gifts you may find come your way or what you might be able to give in return.
Hmmm... tried that and...
Yeah... ask me about my neighbors some time.

We had appies and drinks at Boathouse on our last trip while waiting for the rest of the fam to arrive. We were out on the deck and it was wonderful. The service was amazing.
I have seen the birdhouses, but haven't really paid attention to the details. They really do add to the theming .
sounds like you have sweet neighbours. My tablet is insisting I spell neighbor the other way, I guess just for Pkondz. 😃

I am so glad you liked the Boathouse! To me it’s such an amazing combination of classy and casual and the food was always delicious. Those rolls which you skipped are amazing by the way...

I learned very early in my Disney fandom days that if you don’t look up, you miss out a lot!! Splash Mountain is a good example!

Glad you enjoyed the Boathouse, we have been once and really enjoyed the atmosphere and food. I had crab cake and it was yummy!

The birdhouses are so cute at Splash, I will be looking for them!

How nice of your neighbor to bring over the authentic bobotie! We love out in the country and our nearest neighbor is 5 acres away, lol!!

Your new job 1x a week sounds good, I use to do conscious sedation all the time when I worked in PACU, I loved it!

for the Boathouse after hearing and seeing so many good reviews.

I've heard good reviews, too! It's on my list, but I never seem to get there. Maybe I'll have to make time for it after your review.

I guess I had pictured a more sedate and darker atmosphere- the kind usually reserved for Signature Dining. Instead, with the high ceilings made to resemble a boat’s overturned hull, lighter, yellow woods throughout, and an interesting fusion of nautical, edging on industrial/steampunk theming, it was perfectly comfortable.

The pictures are beautiful! It really does seem to have a beautiful nautical vibe, with a touch of something extra.

A word about her… I cannot for the life of me remember her name, but she was probably the best server I have ever had on Disney property. She was that good. Attentive, but not overly so; extremely knowledgeable but not pushy or stuffy. She carefully explained how the menu worked and what options I had to have a small piece of beef added to my entrée. She knew exactly which cuts were available, how big they’d be, all without peeking or even hesitating. She had a drink recommendation ready, knew her specials like I know David Bowie songs, and was super friendly to boot. I would go back to the Boathouse in a flash simply because of her alone, however I won’t have to. The food is also a very good reason to warrant a repeat visit.

Wow! That's quite the review! A good server can make such a difference in how much you appreciate a restaurant, too. And it sounds like she really was the best of the best.

They hadn't forgotten!

It was fantastic! Even better than Boma as it had more curry and generally more flavor. Soooo good! My advice? Love your neighbor.

Oh my goodness, how kind! And tasty! Just goes to show that sometimes what you put out into the world comes back to you.

Still one of my favorites! Love that picture.
Mine too!! She was so precious!
Same one for me and Mark. I like seafood, but as I mentioned in Lesley's TR, I often desire more simplistic or plain versions without many of the sauces. Since I don't like spicy food in general, many of your options would be no go for me simply because of that. Actually, many of the options at F&W were a no go for me because of that.
I do think many are "saucy" but can't think of a single one that was spicy. None of them had heat. In fact, there were a couple, like the cauliflower one that would probably have been better with SOME heat to it. Most was lemony or galicky. Then again, some people to consider garlic to be spicy. I think you'd have liked the ham and cheese pretzel but not keto for sure.

That was me!! It didn't really feel real until I got off the bus. I sure never thought I'd tell someone I was checking in!

I've missed you around here!! I totally understand how work sucks up the time! Hope your new job is going well!

Yes! I've heard nothing but good things about it. :)

I would love to try the Yachtsman to compare now. I've heard really good things about both places' steaks.
I'm quite surprised by your photos. Not what I expected. Not sure what I expected, but... not that.

Hmm... shame. But... I guess it comes with the design.

Unless there are lower ceilings, or carpet, or wall hangings or something... it's gonna be noisy.
Nice! Did you ask for a window table?
I did not!! This was one of those instances I got just the right table completely unsolicited. ... sigh... :lovestruc

Impressive. And... that's the way it should be (but seldom is.)

I know... I think it's the thing that "separates the men from the boys" in the restaurant arena.

I had no idea you were a Bowie fan (at least not that much of one.)

One of my faves! Him and Bryan Ferry.

Yum! I haven't had Oysters Rockefeller in ages! Now I know where to get them. :)
Did you like them?

I DID!!! Yum!!

What made you try them?

I guess hearing (seeing?) about them as the special?? Perhaps it was the power of suggestion? I'm actually one who is very willing to try the specials as those are often made with the seasonal (ie. freshest) ingredients. I'd never tried them and I remember someone telling me how good they were, so thought it'd be fun to give them a go! :)

I just put this place high on my wish list. :)

I"m glad my reviews can help folks with considering things for future trips!

Even more special than the best server you've ever had???

No.

You never know. Did you think you'd get to Sierra Leone?

No, but if I go back to Africa, I"m going to Kenya and Tanzania or Botswana. Not S. Africa. At least not before those.

Huh. I thought (when I read it) that it w
as Bow-bow-tye.

Yeah, that's how I pronounced to him. And then he corrected me. :blush:

It certainly looks interesting. I'd try that for sure!

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/157881/best-bobotie/

Hmmm... tried that and...
Yeah... ask me about my neighbors some time.

Well, that sure doesn't sound like a "good" story. Not that the story isn't good, just the information sounds... foreboding.

We had appies and drinks at Boathouse on our last trip while waiting for the rest of the fam to arrive. We were out on the deck and it was wonderful. The service was amazing.

I wonder if you had the same lady I did? I forgot to mention that I actually asked to speak to the manager after my meal to personally complement her and let her management know what a treasure they have in her. She told me (the manager) that they are aware of her superior service and that she is often called on to do the training for new hires. I was not surprised.

I have seen the birdhouses, but haven't really paid attention to the details. They really do add to the theming .

They sure do!!

....Mr. Bluebird on my shoulder... :rolleyes1

sounds like you have sweet neighbours. My tablet is insisting I spell neighbor the other way, I guess just for Pkondz. 😃

They are. I don't know them well and have only talked to them a very small handful of times, but they do seem very nice.

LOLOL!

I am so glad you liked the Boathouse! To me it’s such an amazing combination of classy and casual and the food was always delicious. Those rolls which you skipped are amazing by the way...

I'd agree!!! Classy and casual, the casually nautically-themed decor, yet with white tablecloths and waitstaff in long aprons.

I'm certain they were, but my tummy is just too itty bitty...

I learned very early in my Disney fandom days that if you don’t look up, you miss out a lot!! Splash Mountain is a good example!
It really is!!! And I doubt 90% or more of the visitors at MK know anything about the hidden Pascals. Or the chess theming at HM. There's so much there!

Glad you enjoyed the Boathouse, we have been once and really enjoyed the atmosphere and food. I had crab cake and it was yummy!

Another vote for the Boathouse!! Nice!! I think it's a winner and another great addition to DTD. I stilll have a few that I'd like to try in upcoming trips.

The birdhouses are so cute at Splash, I will be looking for them!

Look up!!

How nice of your neighbor to bring over the authentic bobotie! We love out in the country and our nearest neighbor is 5 acres away, lol!!

That's quite a ways!! I didn't know you lived rural. :)

Your new job 1x a week sounds good, I use to do conscious sedation all the time when I worked in PACU, I loved it!

That's one skill I am super excited about learning! I don't get to do that now because our OR Crew does all of that. I'm also told I might get to be trained to place PICC lines. How cool would that be?! I start on the 27th, work all that week, then come back the beginning of October to begin training on the floor.

I've heard good reviews, too! It's on my list, but I never seem to get there. Maybe I'll have to make time for it after your review.

I"ve not read a bad review for it. I liked it more than Morimoto and except for the entertainment, I like it better than Raglan Rd.

The pictures are beautiful! It really does seem to have a beautiful nautical vibe, with a touch of something extra.

Yes, it's that "touch of something extra" that made it a standout. I've been to or seen other nautically-themed places like Boatwrights at POR and those compare very ordinary and bland comparatively.

Wow! That's quite the review! A good server can make such a difference in how much you appreciate a restaurant, too. And it sounds like she really was the best of the best.

Indeed!

Oh my goodness, how kind! And tasty! Just goes to show that sometimes what you put out into the world comes back to you.

True for most things in life- you get out of it what you put into it. Friendships, jobs, education, etc...

While on a monorail ride one morning, a young family noticed my birthday button and asked if I’d like their daughter, perhaps 7 or 8 years old, to sing me Happy Birthday. Of COURSE I would! “Okay, which language?” “Uhhh, well I certainly wasn’t expecting that! I hemmed and hawed a bit, and they offered, “Irish, Spanish or <something else I don’t remember>?” I chose Irish, and right there in front of a carful of folks, I got my first Happy Birthday song in Irish from the most precious of sources.
What awesome Pixie Dust
Sometime after Hula Hoop Lady and the next set of the band, this arrived!! Holy crap! I have no idea what my server was thinking, but I appreciated the gesture a LOT and after a photo, I asked her to box it up.
More Pixie Dust
Toasted Pretzel Bread topped with Black Forest Ham and Melted Gruyère Cheese- $5.25
I'd love this
Stow Away Mary: Classic Bloody Mary with Absolut Vodka garnished with Pimento-stuffed Olives, Cherry Tomato, Celery, Jumbo Shrimp and Smokehouse Jerky
UHM yes please

Love me some Bobotti. Again more Pixie Dust for Steppe.

The Edison looks fun

I would love to try the Yachtsman to compare now. I've heard really good things about both places' steaks.
Heard good things about Yachtsman too. :)
Unless there are lower ceilings, or carpet, or wall hangings or something... it's gonna be noisy.
And I tend to avoid those places. I've twice had pretty good meals at... barn-like restaurants and not wanted to go back. Because I found my self yelling to be heard.
I did not!! This was one of those instances I got just the right table completely unsolicited. ... sigh... :lovestruc
So.... Kelly wasn't there?
I know... I think it's the thing that "separates the men from the boys" in the restaurant arena.
One of my faves! Him and Bryan Ferry.
Really!
I guess hearing (seeing?) about them as the special?? Perhaps it was the power of suggestion? I'm actually one who is very willing to try the specials as those are often made with the seasonal (ie. freshest) ingredients. I'd never tried them and I remember someone telling me how good they were, so thought it'd be fun to give them a go! :)
Might've even been me. I've mentioned them before, I think. Probably on Alison's thread.
No, but if I go back to Africa, I"m going to Kenya and Tanzania or Botswana. Not S. Africa. At least not before those.
Sure!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter