The ABCs of Another Steppe Into Adventure!- Last Africa Ch. + World Showcase Pt. 2

I'm in!!! :woohoo:

On page 3. :sad2:

Ya snooze, ya....oh wait! NM you have 4 kids to nurture and pay attention to. All's forgiven and you even get an official :welcome: too. ;)

Glad to have you here, Mark. For reals. (Did you bring chips and salsa?)

All at the same time? That sounds unwieldy.

It can be a headful. And one's even a thinking cap. I haven't lost mine.

Wait, when were you in Delaware??

I did most of the NE states very young 4-9 or 10 with my paternal grandparents who lived in Ohio and would take me on their lengthy roadtrips. We had a great time. I have vivid memories of doing up Grammy's hair in curlers as we drove. (Look Ma, no seatbelt!)

That's a pretty impressive list! I'm glad that you've had so many opportunities to see so much of our country and the rest of the world!

Each trip is treasured. As is each friend I've made traveling.

Looking forward to traveling to Africa with you!

Very glad to have you aboard, Sir! :welcome: to all the new adventures!!!

Thanks for the bat-signal! Sorry I've been MIA, but I did want to hear about your Africa trip!

You are so very :welcome:! Very glad to have you here with us once again- I hope I can do all the upcoming adventures justice through the writing and photos!

I'm on board! I'll check in between planning/prepping for my trip and getting things lined up at work :thumbsup2

YAY!! The Mr. Mustard is IN the HOUSE! You and your beard are very :welcome: here amongst friends! I will put up one more update before I leave, and then you'l have a nice reprieve from my inane chatter. ;)

I'm riding along with this new adventure. Can't wait to read all about your TR and where it takes you.

OH my!!! You are...

MY VERY FIRST NEW READER!!!

So, you get a very special :welcome: to this place of friends. I promise we don't bite! We may tease and play, but we don't bite. :flower1: Comment as you can, and help us get to know you!

B is for: Bidding You Bye-Bye & Believing In Miracles

And we’re here. On nearly the eve of heading out on the adventure of a lifetime. So many thoughts swirling around in this overfull brain of mine, clouded by the unfortunate necessity of putting in a couple more shifts at work. Sadly, they are night shifts which could do one of two things: Make the time go a LOT faster since I’ll be sleeping during the next 3 days, or make it go interminably slow and make me (more) anxious to get going.

Either way, Saturday’s the day!!!! A long travel day of jetting from coast to coast. I won’t share details of the where and when and, unlike in past reports of mine, save that all for later. Suffice to say, I’ll be: on Disney Property, wait forever for every bus ride I take, pay 4 times for meals than I know better to, eat far too many fattening, but very delicious, snacks, cause my Disney Visa to need ongoing therapy, and make not a little merry.

And while I’m not wanting to prematurely give the Disney Deets, I am more than willing and eager to share with you the VERY loose itinerary for our tenure in Sierra Leone. Many of you have said you would bathe this endeavor in prayers and good thoughts, so if you care to follow us, this may help to guide you along.

We are all meeting up on the 21st at Dulles for an early evening departure. I already heard of a little ummm… well, surprise something that will knock your socks off before we even leave. Just heard about this this evening. If it’s half as good as I think it will be, I will not even have to have gone anywhere to have one of my hopes realized!

Remember, this is all VERY rough, as things can change on a dime. If you aren’t flexible, best not travel to a developing country. But to give you an idea and some prayer points, I put this together:

Day 1

November 21- Travel from Washington Dulles to Freetown, Sierra Leone

· Safe passage of our bags without damage or getting lost
· Enough rest or sleep on the flights
· No missed connections (in Brussels)
· Safety on the ferry from the airport (island) to the mainland
UPDATED: We will be taking speed boats due to our tight schedule.
· Our cargo container is tracking to arrive after us. This is very disappointing! Pray it would arrive sooner than expected and we will still be able to distribute the supplies and medications we’ve sent.
UPDATED: Nov. 6th! The container is now tracking to arrive 2 days before our arrival. We are all hoping it is expedited through customs and ready for us to get the supplies we’ve shipped over to distribute to the village clinics and school kids. Huge reason for rejoicing already!

Day 2

November 22- Arrive in Freetown, SL. Live TV and radio interviews

· Safety on our ferry
(speed boat) ride from the airport on an island to the mainland
· Our logistics team on the ground in Freetown to have transportation and housing all in order for our arrival
· No issues with visas or customs or immigration
· That we would clearly communicate our mission and goals to those who will watch and listen to our TV and radio messages and that the news of our work will reach those who are influencers and decision makers, and that they would favorably respond with support.

Day 3

November 23- Team Meetings, Supply organizing, Rest

· Quick recovery from jet lag
· Smooth teamwork in getting all the supplies organized and ready for delivery to Village clinics and the Connaught Hospital, and for teaching our lessons in the villages
· Team cohesion and like-mindedness on tasks and approach

Day 4

November 24- Seminar for Disabled War Veterans

· That those who come will hear a Message of Hope and Healing
· That they will find encouragement and renewed purpose for their lives
· That they will be resourced with tangible ideas for employment and find worth and value through work

Day 5

November 25- Fund raising dinner Gala

· A fundraising gala will be held with local and foreign dignitaries that evening. Pray for hearts to be open to giving money to our NGO, and that our speeches will be well received and effective to that end.
· That the local government leaders who attend would be favorably impressed with our work and give official support to future efforts.

Day 6-8

November 26-28

Travel to Village #1- Mayolla

· Safety in travel
· Health for our entire team (protection from malaria, diarrhea, fatigue)
· Wisdom in choosing the 20 participants in each village stop for our health education teaching
· That those who hear the lessons will have minds and hearts to understand the content and become excited about reproducing the lessons to others in their villages
· That the lessons would be relevant and more importantly be transformative in the health of rural Sierra Leoneans.

Travel to Village #2- Makompo

Travel to Village #3- Yankasi where the Foundation's working farmland is. Pray for the procurement/donation of a tractor we can have in place by April when the growing season starts.

Day 9

November 29

Freetown Tour of Connaught Hospital and the Slum Area Clinic

· Working with “Dr. Doe” delivering the medical supplies we’ve brought for the clinics he runs in Freetown and several villages. We hope to help him organize the donated supplies and learn what would be most helpful in the future.

Day 10

December 1- Freetown

· For effective debriefing for our team as we reflect on our work over the last week. That we evaluate effectively our strengths and weaknesses, what worked, what needs improvement, and stratagize best for future works.
· For rest before we begin our return journey home

Day 10/11

December 1 and 2

· Safety for our return journey home
· Effective communication with those who ask about what was done through us
· Thoughtful and reflective re-entry back into home life and work
· For Liesa’s decision to become a Board Member for Zaindriss Foundation after this trip. An invitation stands, but would like to see the work on the field first.

And that brings me to bidding you all a fond farewell and wishing you all the very best the next month can bring you. Take care, keep up the friendly chatter amongst yourselves, make good choices, and keep the lights on for me.

Yours very truly,

Steppesister

Last edited:

Hi Liesa
Wow you certainly have a full itinerary for your Serra Leone trip you will definatly be in my thoughts as you start your adventure to bring hope, good health and comfort to the people of Serra Leone on the Nov 21st. It welcome news that your container will arrive two days before your team hopfully it will be clear of customs by the time you get there. You will have to give us a wave out of the planes window as you pass over the UK on your way for your connection in Brussels.When you get back on the 2nd Dec I hope you have given yourself a few days to recover before you go back to your work.

You and your beard are very :welcome: here amongst friends! I will put up one more update before I leave, and then you'l have a nice reprieve from my inane chatter. ;)
Looks like Liesa needs a new keyboard...seems this one is malfunctioning. It typed inane chatter instead of entertaining, wonderful, recounting of her travels.
It also typed reprieve instead of agonizing wait.

Remember, this is all VERY rough, as things can change on a dime. If you aren’t flexible, best not travel to a developing country. But to give you an idea and some prayer points, I put this together:
We'll certainly pray for you and I appreciate the loose itinerary of your plans. I just have one question. Since you'll be there over Thanksgiving... do they have turkeys in Sierra Leone?

Yeah, I know, you'll probably just be happy to have whatever you can to eat in that country.

You and your team will be in my thoughts and prayers while you do this awesome mission!

I wanted to give you all more than just that, but my parish is currently sponsoring a sister parish in Ghana (We have been sent a few of their priests for furthering education and they have been completely adopted into our parish family) in the building of an actual building for their church.

Good luck and safe travels!

I hope your time at Disney rejuvenates you for the hard journey ahead. I'm sure that your schedule in Sierra Leone will keep you very busy. I wish you safe travels because in that part of the world, safety is of primary importance!

Have a wonderful and enriching time!

And we’re here. On nearly the eve of heading out on the adventure of a lifetime

Woot! So close you can taste it!

Sadly, they are night shifts which could do one of two things: Make the time go a LOT faster since I’ll be sleeping during the next 3 days, or make it go interminably slow and make me (more) anxious to get going.

Well... hoping for the former!

A long travel day of jetting from coast to coast.

That's one thing I don't envy you for. Being North has its... issues. But being centrally located does have its advantages.

Suffice to say, I’ll be: on Disney Property, wait forever for every bus ride I take, pay 4 times for meals than I know better to, eat far too many fattening, but very delicious, snacks, cause my Disney Visa to need ongoing therapy, and make not a little merry.

Then, don't go... no, go!... wait... don't go... no... go!... No don't!.. yes! Go!

I'm going to lie down now.

I already heard of a little ummm… well, surprise something that will knock your socks off before we even leave. Just heard about this this evening. If it’s half as good as I think it will be, I will not even have to have gone anywhere to have one of my hopes realized!

Hmmmm!
Is it... dancing to African drumming? I know you want that... but I think you want that in Africa, so maybe not.
Either way, your agenda looks very full and very busy.
Safe journeys and I will see you in WDW!
(Got your PM too... :))

Wow, what an itinerary. Amazing. I am looking forward to following along on both parts,...which will be very different indeed!

WOW what an amazing November you are going to have! Can’t wait to hear all about your Sierra Leone trip. What a fantastic thing you are doing.

Safe travels on Saturday! :flower1: The suspense is killing me as to where you’re staying

Hi Liesa
Wow you certainly have a full itinerary for your Serra Leone trip you will definatly be in my thoughts as you start your adventure to bring hope, good health and comfort to the people of Serra Leone on the Nov 21st. It welcome news that your container will arrive two days before your team hopfully it will be clear of customs by the time you get there. You will have to give us a wave out of the planes window as you pass over the UK on your way for your connection in Brussels.When you get back on the 2nd Dec I hope you have given yourself a few days to recover before you go back to your work.

It is VERY full, but I think we'll be shepherded well and I think the excitement of it all will carry us through. Thank you so much for thinking about us while we're gone! That means a lot to me. :) Apparently, our team leader has a cousin who works in Customs and he will ask him to see if it can be expedited so we can get those supplies to where they are most needed. :)

I will look down and see if I can pick out Scotland. I'll make sure to wave!

Sadly, I am probably going straight to work on the 4th. I'll have burned through all the time off I possibly can. :(

Looks like Liesa needs a new keyboard...seems this one is malfunctioning. It typed inane chatter instead of entertaining, wonderful, recounting of her travels.
It also typed reprieve instead of agonizing wait.

LOL! Nah, I just tell it like I see it.

Most of the time. ;)

We'll certainly pray for you and I appreciate the loose itinerary of your plans. I just have one question. Since you'll be there over Thanksgiving... do they have turkeys in Sierra Leone?

Yeah, I know, you'll probably just be happy to have whatever you can to eat in that country.

Thank you VERY much, Andy! That means a lot and I know it does good. You know what? I have NO idea! HAHA! I do know that since I"m hosting Christmas this year, I'll be making that particular meal then, so I don't completely miss out this year. ;)

I also know that I'm in for some delicious food there from what I hear. We had some friends who lived and served in Senegal (nearby) and the dishes they made us were amazing! I can't wait!!

You and your team will be in my thoughts and prayers while you do this awesome mission!

I wanted to give you all more than just that, but my parish is currently sponsoring a sister parish in Ghana (We have been sent a few of their priests for furthering education and they have been completely adopted into our parish family) in the building of an actual building for their church.

Good luck and safe travels!

Thank you sooooooooo much! The more people praying, the more successful it will be. I believe that! And your prayers mean a lot to me. We actually were fully funded almost to the penny of our goal of $4,000- He knew, and provided.

Sounds like there are some good things happening in your places too! Keep up the good work!

I hope your time at Disney rejuvenates you for the hard journey ahead. I'm sure that your schedule in Sierra Leone will keep you very busy. I wish you safe travels because in that part of the world, safety is of primary importance!

Have a wonderful and enriching time!

Thank you, Alison! I am looking forward to some time off very much. It's been a long road to get to this point of some long hours put in. All worth it, of course, but still need some time to refresh and recharge. :)

And yes, it is! I have no doubt we'll be kept safe, but yes, safety ad health are at the top of our lists to be mindful of.

Woot! So close you can taste it!

Mmmm, and it's delicious too!

Well... hoping for the former!

Considering that a whole day has gone by already.... yeah, going pretty quickly!

That's one thing I don't envy you for. Being North has its... issues. But being centrally located does have its advantages.

True! Either way, you come out a winner. East or West. Unless you're going to Hawaii. Then you lose.

Then, don't go... no, go!... wait... don't go... no... go!... No don't!.. yes! Go!

I'm going to lie down now.

Okay. I'll go. ;)

How was your nap?

Hmmmm!
Is it... dancing to African drumming? I know you want that... but I think you want that in Africa, so maybe not.
Either way, your agenda looks very full and very busy.
Safe journeys and I will see you in WDW!
(Got your PM too... :))

No. But YES!! I want to dance to African drumming. A lot! But yes, there would be better. I've done that in Harambe at AK, and it's a lot of fun, but I want the real McCoy.

Speaking of McCoy... I learned a very cool little factoid the other day.

So you know Orlando's call letters are "MCO". Ever wonder why? I did.

Apparently, the property that MCO sits on used to be an Air Force base called McCoy. When it went private, they just kept the original letters of that. Huh!

Had no idea....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orlando_International_Airport

And thanks, PK. :) Yes, see you at the Party along with Kelly. :santa:

Wow, what an itinerary. Amazing. I am looking forward to following along on both parts,...which will be very different indeed!

WOW what an amazing November you are going to have! Can’t wait to hear all about your Sierra Leone trip. What a fantastic thing you are doing.

Safe travels on Saturday! :flower1: The suspense is killing me as to where you’re staying

I have a special little journal book to take extra good notes. So, yes there will be plenty of stories to pass along. :)

Thanks, Kelly. It's a long day, but I"ll get there eventually and lay around and relax when I do.

Hmmm, where could Steppe be staying???

Sadly, I am probably going straight to work on the 4th. I'll have burned through all the time off I possibly can. :(
That's gonna stink. Hoping you're so tired from the Africa experience (sounds like a really busy schedule), you'll be able to sleep on the plane so you'll be able to survive work.

LOL! Nah, I just tell it like I see it.

Most of the time. ;)
Okay, so Liesa needs new glasses then. My mistake, it wasn't the keyboard.

Wishing you safe travels and a grand adventure!

So you know Orlando's call letters are "MCO". Ever wonder why? I did.

Apparently, the property that MCO sits on used to be an Air Force base called McCoy. When it went private, they just kept the original letters of that. Huh!

This doesn't surprise me as much as it might, since I know why O'Hare is called ORD. How many other people know?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!