The ABCs of Another Steppe Into Adventure!- Last Africa Ch. + World Showcase Pt. 2

Okay, so we've had a bit of a party here the last few days while I very nearly killed myself working overtime

Somebody has to do it.

Party I mean.

I haven't done laundry in over 2 1/2 weeks so it'll be nice to have underwear again.

You went commando... again???

:lmao:

Ugh. The worst I've had is crowns, and evidently I had two. Well there was that gum surgery 20 years ago....OK that was the worst. Chewing on the left side of my mouth is getting really old.

Good luck today!

I haven't done laundry in over 2 1/2 weeks so it'll be nice to have underwear again.

I can go a month without doing laundry before this becomes a problem for me. Normally i do laundry more often, but sometimes the clean laundry sits in the basket in the laundry room waiting to be folded, hung up, etc.

Good luck today!

Thanks! I cant wait for this to be over!

Okay, so we've had a bit of a party here the last few days while I very nearly killed myself working overtime. One more day, then 5 (count them, 5!!) glorious days off. I haven't done laundry in over 2 1/2 weeks so it'll be nice to have underwear again. Ever gotten to the point of almost going out to Target to get more because you think it'll just be faster?

No judgement here please, but while I'm currently doing fine for clean underwear, I'm having a similar kind of issue with keeping the dishes done! It's getting to the point where I decide what to eat for my next meal based on whether the appropriate dishes/pots/pans needed for the preparation are clean. :scared: It's gross. I know. At least I'm rinsing them and occasionally putting things in the dishwasher. After tomorrow morning's midterm, everything gets cleaned and life becomes orderly again! Enjoy your well-deserved days off!

No judgement here please, but while I'm currently doing fine for clean underwear, I'm having a similar kind of issue with keeping the dishes done! It's getting to the point where I decide what to eat for my next meal based on whether the appropriate dishes/pots/pans needed for the preparation are clean. :scared: It's gross. I know. At least I'm rinsing them and occasionally putting things in the dishwasher. After tomorrow morning's midterm, everything gets cleaned and life becomes orderly again! Enjoy your well-deserved days off!
Oh Girlfriend! You have no idea the struggle here! You won’t get any judgement here from this quarter. There is rarely a day EVER, you can see my counter top.

You went commando... again???

You know, all I've got to say is that you have to respect a woman who requires an "again" qualifier after the words "went commando" :rotfl:

:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

@Captain_Oblivious - don't worry, hosiery is quite passe these days. You will be able to get by with a spray tan.

Well, thank goodness. That removes most of my objections.

So I shouldn't photoshop him with the nylons?

Literally no one needs or wants to see that.

3) Would you order a meal at the Sunset Room? If so, what would you have had (at least 3 items)? (gimme points)

Well, out of the items I can pronounce, Mignon of Beef would be right up my alley. I don't see any potato offerings for this meat-and-potatoes guy, but carrots would work fine on the side. And apple pie for dessert? Sign me up.

4) Tate had one more snack at DHS that day. What was it?
a. Mickey bar
b. Popcorn
c. Ice cream cone
d. Cream cheese pretzel

I'll go with the cream cheese pretzel.

5) Did Steppe buy any souvenirs while at DHS?

Of course. Steppe loves her shopping.

6) Story time for a point: What is your favorite tradition on Christmas Day or Eve?

Well, I've got a weird one for you. My church was founded in 2010--it was a church plant started by my previous church that was much closer to our house, so we were part of the volunteers that went to go start it. We've been meeting in a high school auditorium for the last several years while we raise funds and purchase land and build our permanent building. So as a result, we have to pay rent for our space and 1) have to be judicious about the number of times we use the space, and 2) are often at the whims of the school district as far as when the building is actually open.

So, for the last several years, we have not had a traditional Christmas Eve service, because I believe the building is closed and workers are off that day. So we've been having a service on "Christmas Eve Eve" instead. This leaves the evening of Dec. 24 wide open, and we've actually come to really enjoy having that time to ourselves as a family. We usually give everyone new pajamas to wear on Christmas Eve. At some point in the last few years, we were just joking around and thought it would be funny to take the kids to the Waffle House for dinner on Christmas Eve in their new pajamas. Why did we think of this? I don't know. Were we drunk? Maybe. In any case, we did it on a whim and laughed about it the whole time. We were the only people in there, left a big Christmas tip for the server, and had a great time.

So now, we have dinner at the Waffle House on Christmas Eve. We leave a big tip. And sometimes we go to the movies afterwards, since nobody is there, either. It's turned into a really memorable family night.

So now, we have dinner at the Waffle House on Christmas Eve. We leave a big tip. And sometimes we go to the movies afterwards, since nobody is there, either. It's turned into a really memorable family night.

Do you still go in your pajamas?

Okay, so we've had a bit of a party here the last few days while I very nearly killed myself working overtime. One more day, then 5 (count them, 5!!) glorious days off. I haven't done laundry in over 2 1/2 weeks so it'll be nice to have underwear again. Ever gotten to the point of almost going out to Target to get more because you think it'll just be faster?
Nope...don't shop at Target since they got hacked AND decided to let men use women's bathrooms.

To quote from (well maybe paraphrasing...not sure it's an EXACT quote) Big Hero 6...
Right side out, inside out, front to back and then inside out again. Plenty of underwear life. :lmao:

Thanks, Liesa! Things are mostly going well. I'm in a really heavy part of the semester right now, in the middle of two weeks that have been fondly dubbed H*ll Weeks #1 & #2. We are coming up on our reading week break (when I'm headed to WDW!) and most of our midterms and assignments fall in these two weeks. My anxiety and mental health have suffered a bit, but I'm trying to be proactive and keep everything in check. My Hearing Disorders class is kicking my butt, and I write that midterm today. Who knew there were so many reasons your ear drum could explode with pus!? :laughing: I do not envy anyone—like you!—who has studied nursing, or any other medical field. The material is super heavy and hard to memorize! But it's also very interesting, and I'm finding my curiosity is winning out over the stress a lot of the time, which is nice. :goodvibes Thanks for checking in!

Reading Week. Better known as the week Meghan goes to Disney. :lmao:

I did an official survey of everyone in our class and fully 60% had to go onto some form of anxiety management- a betablocker, or antidepressant or antianxiety med. The struggle is very real. Keep the end prize in sights and focus. One day you'll look back and know without a doubt it was all worth it. How did that midterm go? Pus in eardrums is all the rage to study, you know! ANd yes, the material is not only tough, but there's a crapton of it. And yes, as you say, VERY interesting. I loved it!

You and Tate had quite the adventure at DHS. I can't wait for Toy Story and Star Wars to open...DHS is a little slow right now.

Quite the day in SL. Sorry you had the crud.

Jill in CO
I'm not a HUGE SW fan, I like them well enough and of course will see them all in the theaters, but am excited to see the new land opening up. I wasn't a huge Avatar fan, but am thrilled with Pandora, so you never know. And I agree, it's a half day park at most. still nice to wander and experience, but kinda boring after a few hours.

Reading Week. Better known as the week Meghan goes to Disney. :lmao:

Well...I mean...I'm packing a book... :blush:

I did an official survey of everyone in our class and fully 60% had to go onto some form of anxiety management- a betablocker, or antidepressant or antianxiety med. The struggle is very real. Keep the end prize in sights and focus. One day you'll look back and know without a doubt it was all worth it. How did that midterm go? Pus in eardrums is all the rage to study, you know! ANd yes, the material is not only tough, but there's a crapton of it. And yes, as you say, VERY interesting. I loved it!

Yeah, Nathan has asked more than once whether I feel I might need to talk to a professional about the possibility of medication. So far I'm managing okay with some good strategies and self care, but I can definitely see how medical intervention would be soo prevalent in such a heavy field of study! Definitely not out of the realm of possibility for me either. It's a challenge, but you're absolutely right—eye on the prize! And while it might not be a cure, being loving to yourself and not expecting any more than your best definitely goes a long way. I've always been the kind to push myself as close to perfection as possible, but the more school I do the more I realize that's not always the most important thing.

My midterm went better than expected! Thanks for asking! We won't have grades back for a bit because that professor, ironically enough, is currently in Disney World. I told him I'll wave if I passed him at the airport because he gets home around the time I leave tomorrow. I had my last midterm this morning, so I'm feeling good, flying free!! Until I look at the list of things I have to catch up on before I leave tomorrow. :scared: But somehow it always gets done!

Are you sure about that??

Yes. I like snakes.

I'm all for better food from time to time as well. I do enjoy the wait staff's antics too. Really enjoyed it when I was there last solo. Quite possibly one of the best waiters I've ever had.

But get your need for a bit of a "senses" break. :)

I've not been to that or Whispering Canyon, but imagine they are similar in role playing waitstaff? I wonder if it's also akin to the new Skippers. Which I also sadly have not been to. I think those types of places might be less fun as a solo traveler than when in a big group. ?? Just a hunch?

Doesn't ruin it one bit. Clever way to use the loss. ::yes::

Well, there's more Tate to come in following chapters, so stay tuned for more ridiculous ploys at making an original TR. His antics never cease.

What's that? You're feeling that he tastes great?

Mmm, potatoes with butter. (I haven't had breakfast yet.)

Why not? I have 4 fingers and I don't have a problem.

You flip people off regularly?

Yup.
"You mean your house isn't always like this?"

LOL!!! Considering I'm the only one who cleans.... :rolleyes:

Huh. Very surprising that there's nothing left.

But... you have that much stuff????

:faint:

I've collected it every time I went. Each time there was a different movie that'd come out or a new character they were promoting, and those boxes fit quite a lot of stuff. So yeah. Got lots. ;)

It's totally original! Except for the parts that weren't, I mean.

So, basically most SW movie content... ever.

Cash is cash.
But then again.... considering I'm not there for very long usually, I don't want to throw away a few hours doing that.

That's me! Hard to justify taking the time out of a pretty planned out schedule.

Once a year?!?!?!?
Sheesh. You sound like Ruby.

Guess we won't have our next DISmeet at Beaches & Cream.

But I could save that once a year for B&C?

I took a look for, oh.... maybe 5-10 minutes and didn't find anything.

Me neither. Found a lot of other cool stuff though.

Huh! Have you?

Yep. Your little nudge was all it took. Pushed submit 3 minutes ago with an uploaded photo.

From a can. Probably mis-placed in the canned seafood aisle.

Gross.

13 hours! Whoa.... you must really have been tired and/or jet lagged.

Tired, jet lagged, AND sick.

Better than being number two.

:lmao:Valid point!

They don't have towels in Freetown?

I was given a huge bath sheet. But, being brand new, it still had the sizing on it. So it didn't wick up water off a wet body very well. Plus, once a towel is damp, ain't no way it's gonna be dry by evening. Using damp towels was the norm. And sucked.

Well, you certainly look cozy! :)
But tights? Socks?
I thought you had eschewed those after the first day?

I have no explanation. ?? Didn't want to put my feet up with only a skirt on? (Guy on balcony across.)

Good grief! I hope you averted your eyes from your pantsless neighbor! :faint:

LOL!! At least I wasn't pantsless. ;) (And, no, he wasn't. haha)

Ever find out what they were?

No, I never did.

Hmm... I suppose it's trash that was near the dry riverbed that got washed downstream when the rains came.
Too bad, though. Marring and jarring.

That is a very good guess. That's probably exactly what happened.

Holy crap!!! Talk about taking your life into your hands! Death trap in waiting!

Surprised you didn't take the stairs like this:
giphy.gif

Someone is bound to fall down them at some point. Glad it wasn't me.

That looks good!
And... is that @Captain_Oblivious running in the opposite direction?

LOL! The fish was so good! Nothing like fresh fish. Fried with simple seasonings.

I love that shot. Just... I dunno... very different from anything you're likely to see here?

I really like it too. I played around with it with B&W, but ended up keeping it this way.

Whoa! Pretty heavy breakfast conversation!
Ours usually revolve around "Pass the jam."

There were quite a few conversations like this. It was refreshing to have different perspectives at the table and not have immature bickering or resentment.

:sad2:
"We're trying to help you people, stupid!"

Stupid is as stupid does.

Culture broker? As in making sure you don't break or misinterpret cultural rules?

Yes, or just explaining as we went along how to navigate those. Explaining what we were seeing, answering questions. introducing us around, etc..

I get that. When my home was built, I was here every single day. Sometimes more than once.
I caught a few errors, made changes and answered questions. Saved us a ton of headaches/regrets later on.

I'm sure it was time well spent. Construction workers aren't mind readers and not everything is on the plans. Over there, it's plain laziness or lack of knowlege or skill.

Makes sense. That's how it works here, too. Sort of. The bank releases the money in stages as the home is built. Foundation. Framing... being some of the steps.

I had no idea that's how it worked! Who knew?!

Look at the colours! Love this! :)

Me too!!! So bright and pretty.

Oh, no. It's perfectly fine. You just have to filter it and boil it and you're good.

I wasn't going to trust that either of those steps were taken.

Really? We have them up here.

In hot houses? It would be quite a sight to see a banana tree with snow on it.

That is really cool! Must go back to tribal politics, no? I really don't know of course. But very interesting!

I'm sure it does. But of that, I know very little.

Ugh... I can't imagine wearing a suit in that weather.

The guys wearing the tuxes at the fundraiser had no small amount of sweat on them.

Nice that you got to meet her. Hoping the rumours weren't true or better yet, proven not to be.

Me too. But one never really knows what's true anymore in the world of politics or entertainment. All I know is that she has a passion for community service, human rights and was very sweet to me.

Wonderful that you did that.
And I like that it went to a worthy cause.
But.... Must admit that when I first read that, it almost sounded like you were saying that you weren't going to pay what you promised.

If it's gone much more, I'd have had to pay in monthly installments.

::yes:: Doubling the amount is better than the amount + $50.

You have no idea the amount of explaining of that concept I had to do to get them to understand that. :faint:

Cute little house.
Not bad at all for a 12 year old... who had to scrounge for parts. Not run to the store to buy a pre-made kit.

Exactly. I thought it very creative for what he had on hand.

I have. Quite a few times. Used to have it whenever Mom would cook a turkey.

I still use them for my gravy and/or stuffing.

Too bad. Any idea why?

It was just the holiday season and I was told that there were many parties going on all over the city. They called it Festival Time. Perhaps they had other things they needed to go to?

Twice? I thought maybe once at the airport... Hmm....
Standing by!

stand by....

It shows! And you look adorbs, by the way! You go, girl! Boogie, Liesa!

:dancer:

Yay! I'm caught up! I love all of the photos of your beautiful African friends! Such joy on the faces of people with such struggles puts me to shame. Boy, you really put in a long day. Set up, distinguished guests, then tear down. I hope you were able to sleep in the next morning.

It certainly puts our trivial "woes" into perspective. The next day will prove to be even longer and harder. Hoping to get some writing done on my days off. :)

What is going on with Abu? Any news?

He now has his passport and the lab results. They are waiting for the last $4,000 for the cancer treatment to come in. They got a huge donation of 3,000 Euros from an Italian charitible the other day, so progress. I can only pray the last comes in soon.

I noticed your shoes in the journaling pic - what brand are they?

They are Roxy brand. I got them at Foot Locker last year and ADORE them! They are super comfy and can last a day at Disney. I"m wearing them right now in fact, too. I may order more online, so when these wear out I'll have a back up pair.

Are they good for walking? I'm looking for some like that in a Summer weight that would be supportive and comfy. I have some leather Clark's in that style that I love, but too thick for Summer. I have a hard time with my feet - bunions, flat feet and pronation going on. Not a good combo. :crutches:I need to get my footwear in order for my trip.

They are particularly supportive, kinda like Keds, but more soft. I love my Keens for that even more. You should try some of those on too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!