The ABCs of Another Steppe Into Adventure!- Last Africa Ch. + World Showcase Pt. 2

Tate loves his job

What is it that Tate does, exactly?

every once in a while, he grows anxious to scale new heights, find new adventures, and seek out exciting new challenges for himself.

Sounds like a certain Steppesister I know who recently found new adventures and challenges while bringing aid and comfort to people in Africa.

he risked approaching HR to ask for a few weeks off for his quest.

Whoa!!! That is one brave spud!

it was none other than scaling the heights of Chomolungma!

Googled.

Huh!

Tate thought of it as a test of his Tateyhood.

:laughing:

Could his fused little feet

;) Love that imagery.

Tate carefully chose his supplies balancing utility with weight gain… much like his friend Steppe in deciding between fries or a salad. (Please don't ever tell Tate I just said that!)

Your secret's safe with me.
It's not like anyone looks at anything on the internet, right???

I was going to post at the end of my comments something like "And yet, not a single shot of Tate??"
And then, when I went back to quote...

You should run a "Did you see it" contest too! :laughing:

Wisely, he knew that more Sherpa have scaled Chomolungma’s heights than any number of outsiders.

I've sometimes wondered....

Was Hillary really the first? I'm betting that on a good day, a Sherpa or more may have climbed it earlier.

Wise Sherpa say, turn back. If not, pack TP.

::yes:: Because wiping bums with snow can lead to ice-holes.

no amount of fur will keep you warm.

Meh. I live there.

On the bright side, I hear the yellow snow cones are fabulous.

Luckily, he found a cozy looking inn that would satisfy his needs until he set out for Base Camp #1. Unfortunately, it wasn’t open quite yet.

That's the problem with booking with internet sites.
Always best to confirm with a phone call if you have any doubts.

passed a laundry

Sure...

a tanner’s shop

why not...

makes sense...

of course...

and a McDonalds

DANG IT!!!

and wondered if they served yak burgers inside.

Yak is what you do after you eat their burgers.

He was out of coffee and out of sorts

Is that Tate or you?

Beautiful shot.

“Tah-she-de-lah!”

So... what does that translate to?

We are a highly rated AirBNB advertised on Google, and have a Keurig for your convenience.

:laughing: Of course! Gotta have the Keurig!

Or was this a bilking operation of the grandest proportions?

Awesome! A grand biking adventure! Where will you go? What will you see?

What?

Oh.... bilking....

Nevermind.

Tate gratefully accepted a cup of tea flavored with butter and salt.

Interesting. I take it that's quite common?
How does it compare to tea without any extras? Or even to tea with cream and/or sugar?

he was only just beginning to learn that in “hospitality cultures” one would never accept payment other than loyalty for the simple act of kindness of opening up one’s home to a guest.

I read this and started wondering...
If guests stayed with you and you expected loyalty, wouldn't that be a form of payment if you had to defend your property from brigands/marauders?
Strength in numbers.

Tate was reminded of the story Steppe had told him sometime ago about the night she and her family were stranded on a frigid winter night on a dark, deserted highway. With only their coats and cold wind in their hair, they waited on the road’s edge for a passerby to offer help. After what seemed like hours, the family of 7 including the baby were picked up and taken to the nearest village where another family they’d only met once before opened their doors to them, made them a hot meal, and set up a big family bed of blankets on the floor to shelter for the night. Their lives were literally saved from freezing to death that night.

Holy crap! That's... quite the tale! No smell of colitas I take it. Scary, though.

Beautiful. Really love this one.

He also wondered why wave after wave of screaming came from its direction….

didn’t have any money to spare but threw in an apple and a hairband in hopes of appeasing the Yeti that guarded the mountain.

So that's what all the hairbands up there are for! Makes perfect sense now.

As Tatey wandered the zig-zagging streets of Namche,

Had to Google that...

the chapati sounded perfect

... and that....

spicy tarkari

... and that!
But now I know. ;)

(and the tarkari sounds yummy!)

It reminded him of that time he ordered a salad at the Plaza instead of the crispy and delicious fried chicken.

:laughing: You can sure tell this is a work of fiction, because no one would ever do that!

Nice capture!

He also noticed that another, much less polite, traveler was disrespecting the rules and customs of his hosts. Such a shame, Tate thought to himself; that really makes the rest of us look badly. He thought of saying something, but figured he’d let the locals deal with such a blatant lack of courtesy and deference.

:sad2:

Maybe he didn't speak (or read) English? :confused3

Tate moseyed his way back to his gracious hosts’ home and found a delicious meal of eggrolls awaiting him

mmmm.... love eggrolls.

The mountain loomed hugely over him and the screaming went on and on,

:rolleyes:

I can; I will!

There ya go!

Absolutely. Not doing that is the reason for so many meltdowns, there.
And I see more and more lately. Maybe Disney is partly to blame. They've made it incredibly expensive and have made it so prior planning really has to be done for families and first timers. ADRs, FPs, all that make for a stressful vacation. Just a theory...

You'll see. ;)

When will you get to that, do you think? I don't want to miss is. Or tag me??

Like me!
Then again, I can pull off cargo shorts. Cause I'm old and don't care anymore.

You ain't seen nuthin' yet. Next time I go, I'm pretty sure I'm going to sport a fanny pack like the olden days. Just... easier. Yeah, Dork City, but, I just don't give a crap.

Oh! You said: "we saw a cute familiar face waving at us"
I'm cute and familiar, so I just assumed...

Oh! Well, you do have a point. You know you could take your "cute" to the next level and add some Mickey ears.

Do not get in your way!

My elbow IS rather sharp. ;)

Who knows? The whole thing is awesome.

Yes. And you know why? Because it has a better backstory than any other ride, except maybe POTC.

THAT'S BESIDE THE POINT!!!!

Does that have to be one?! :confused3

Um... excuse me? I believe it was moi who suggested that?

Only after I noticed the empty line. ;)

Whoops! I do believe I tried to save your sweater, but I was too slow. Sorry!

OH well, it happens everyday. Multiple times a day.

You demanded.

I fail to see a problem here.

Farther north?

I was doing a country profile project with Zach yesterday, and learned a few things about Canada. One is that Canada has more lakes alone than ALL other countries combined! The other is that in "the North" people leave their car doors unlocked as an escape route from polar bears. I'm not sure I'd want to go.... there.

And I see more and more lately. Maybe Disney is partly to blame. They've made it incredibly expensive and have made it so prior planning really has to be done for families and first timers. ADRs, FPs, all that make for a stressful vacation. Just a theory...

Not a bad theory...

When will you get to that, do you think? I don't want to miss is. Or tag me??

Next update is the dinners with you guys and race weekend.
Then the one after that is Disney. That one. I'll try to remember to tag you, okay?

You ain't seen nuthin' yet. Next time I go, I'm pretty sure I'm going to sport a fanny pack like the olden days. Just... easier. Yeah, Dork City, but, I just don't give a crap.

I've rocked a fanny pack at Disney. But it was kinda in style, back then.

Oh! Well, you do have a point. You know you could take your "cute" to the next level and add some Mickey ears.

I don't want to be constantly fending off the women.

My elbow IS rather sharp. ;)

eep!

Yes. And you know why? Because it has a better backstory than any other ride, except maybe POTC.

::yes::

Only after I noticed the empty line. ;)

Umm.... you skipped topics here.
You mentioned that Alison suggested we meet annually. That was my idea.

OH well, it happens everyday. Multiple times a day.

I fail to see a problem here.

One is that Canada has more lakes alone than ALL other countries combined!

Not at all surprised by that statistic.

The other is that in "the North" people leave their car doors unlocked as an escape route from polar bears. I'm not sure I'd want to go.... there.

Houses too. You're kinda supposed to leave the door unlocked for that reason. Not everyone has a car. Actually if you have a vehicle there, it's probably a truck or an ATV and/or a snowmobile.
We were one of the few that had an actual car.

But the real reason that we might leave our car doors unlocked is just so that when the door freezes shut, it's one less obstacle for us to actually open the door - from the outside or the inside... Polar bears don't bother with the locks, they just open the car like a furry can opener!

Nothing like a frozen lock. annoying!

Hmmm... interestingly enough... we keep the house unlocked, but the garbage is! You don't want bears rooting through your trash when you step outside.
Or the giant ravens either for that matter.

This was no ordinary travel adventure Tatey was about to embark on, but one that only serious adventurers could hope to conquer- it was none other than scaling the heights of Chomolungma!

Gesundheit!

I also had to Google that one. Had no idea.

As with all other mountaineers before him, Tate carefully chose his supplies balancing utility with weight gain… much like his friend Steppe in deciding between fries or a salad.

I can help you with that. Fries.

After months of preparation, Tate finally made it into the deep interior of Asia… a forbidden and lonely place where fermented camel’s milk flows and no amount of fur will keep you warm. On the bright side, I hear the yellow snow cones are fabulous.

Oh, I know what you're thinking. Don't worry--they're lemon!

IMG_5350-L.jpg

Oooh, very nice shot there.

Tate was reminded of the story Steppe had told him sometime ago about the night she and her family were stranded on a frigid winter night on a dark, deserted highway. With only their coats and cold wind in their hair, they waited on the road’s edge for a passerby to offer help. After what seemed like hours, the family of 7 including the baby were picked up and taken to the nearest village where another family they’d only met once before opened their doors to them, made them a hot meal, and set up a big family bed of blankets on the floor to shelter for the night. Their lives were literally saved from freezing to death that night. Tate wondered how often that happens in the culture he is from.

Wow. This sounds like a story. What amazing hospitality!

Ooh, another nice shot.

And another. You were on a roll here.

It reminded him of that time he ordered a salad at the Plaza instead of the crispy and delicious fried chicken.

:sad2: Nobody ever really does that, do they?

He also noticed that another, much less polite, traveler was disrespecting the rules and customs of his hosts. Such a shame, Tate thought to himself; that really makes the rest of us look badly. He thought of saying something, but figured he’d let the locals deal with such a blatant lack of courtesy and deference.

I will write a strongly-worded memo!

:rotfl2::rotfl2:

Tate had quite the adventure on his time off. I'm curious about this tea with butter he consumed...sounds interesting.

The egg rolls he managed to scarf down looked like they hit the spot during an exciting adventure through Asia. Hope that was the case.

All my worldly possessions!
<checks wallet> Uh... fifteen cents!

Hey! I found $.20 cents in my pocket today after mucking out the skank room. I'm richer than you! ;)

It was about skating.
So I'll take it as you maybe tried it once.

;)

I have! I can even stay on my feet for a short while. Short being the important word there.

How is it going so far?

Poorly.

Nope! :snooty:

You either see it when it happens, or not at all!

Fine. I'll be on the lookout for when it happens we cross paths again.

Correct. But, you did look at me and say something like "There's no line at..."

Not sure if you finished that sentence and I was already there begging them to take my money.

LOL! Yes, you were!

I think you're good as long as you're not using them for advertising.
Besides, if they stopped people from posting on the DIS and other boards, they'd lose way too much money!

You are right. Word of mouth is the best (and least expensive) kind of advertising.

1. No you're not.
2. But still nice to be done with them.
3. And if you say you're too (supposedly, erroneously) old, what does that make me??? :sad:

As they say, age is just a number, except for working nights. Then you feel it!

Only one to go until I'm just the "fill in" night gal.

Oooh, I like the black & white on this.

Thanks, I've been trying to work on my B&W a bit more lately.

What's worse, hotel coffee or waiting in a long line to buy overpriced lousy coffee?

Well, in this case it was "I just want to get to Disney coffee".

And after paying $33.95 for it, that wasn't going to happen!

How did you guess that price almost to the cent?!

I can only guess at whom....

He has a certain penchant, doesn't he?

True. I found this was true for most DLR versions of the rides.

IASW is another. But I'm not sure you'd know that.

I love this! :rotfl2:

It is such a clever and funny touch. Kudos to the Imagineer who did that!

Oooh, and they added this new spectacular waterfall just to the right here. Surely there's a photo...

Um...

:confused3

Yeah, total fail there. I think was trying to get a good one of the Indians.

I had heard that DL's version of ToT wasn't as good as the WDW version. Is that true? If so, it makes it more palatable that they change this one and leave the WDW version as is.

I wouldn't know having never ridden the DLR version of TOT. But, Alison assures me it was not, so I think I'm in agreement here with you. And yet, for me the theming of the queue is half the coolness of it, and now that's all gone.

Still following, and as usual, thank you for your posts and your energy. What wonderful news of Abu, and congratulations on your flight ambitions! I've been busy catching up on reading, walking the dogs, and finishing dance festival season. Just over one month until DD24 gets married, so my commenting time will be very limited for a while!

Hi Donna! :) Yes, lots going on here as always. One of these days I'll ratchet it down to sane level.

I have a recent photo of Abu that I should post here.

Congratulations on the wedding coming up!! Always so exciting! Make sure to post a photo or two here!! We'd all love to see those!

Band for 2 years, playing clarinet and flute. Even took private flute lessons, and then moved schools and just stopped. And then didn't have any elective space with a full academic course load. Auditioned for the University Choir and got in, but again with a heavy course load was unable to pursue that. So now it's church choirs and tap class for me! (yay for ankle in remission!)

So you too got a taste of band. Bummer you couldn't continue, but it's understandable with competing classes and not enough time. That's awful you couldn't sing in university; I imagine that would have been very fun, but church choir can be very fun too! I AM glad you are getting to pursue your love of music there. You take tap? How cool is that?! And yes, your ankle in remission is a hugely wonderful thing!

Dapper Dan's are my favorite - they were also singing the National Anthem at the flag ceremony when I was there 2 months ago.

I didn't know they did that! THAT I'd love to see!

What is it that Tate does, exactly?

This is highly classified. If I told you, I'd have to kill you.

Sounds like a certain Steppesister I know who recently found new adventures and challenges while bringing aid and comfort to people in Africa.

It certainly was an adventure! One she won't soon forget!

Whoa!!! That is one brave spud!

Not many come out of meetings with HR wholly unscathed.

Your secret's safe with me.
It's not like anyone looks at anything on the internet, right???

Especially on THIS TR. :rotfl2:

I was going to post at the end of my comments something like "And yet, not a single shot of Tate??"
And then, when I went back to quote...

You should run a "Did you see it" contest too! :laughing:

Hey, that's a good idea!!

Except I think the market's saturated on that one. ;)

I've sometimes wondered....

Was Hillary really the first? I'm betting that on a good day, a Sherpa or more may have climbed it earlier.

I have serious doubts he was.

:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

Nicely done!

You are on a roll!

:lmao:

That's the problem with booking with internet sites.
Always best to confirm with a phone call if you have any doubts.

Sound advice!

If only Tibet had phones. ;)

Yak is what you do after you eat their burgers.

Truth!

Is that Tate or you?

Isn't any addict coffee drinker a bit 'off' without their fix?

Beautiful shot.

Thank you. I really like that one too.

So... what does that translate to?

"Hello!"

Awesome! A grand biking adventure! Where will you go? What will you see?

What?

Oh.... bilking....

Nevermind.

Maybe if I bilked more, my adventures would be grander?

Interesting. I take it that's quite common?
How does it compare to tea without any extras? Or even to tea with cream and/or sugar?

It is, IMHO, not as good. But for them, perhaps they need the extra calories to stay warm. ??

I read this and started wondering...
If guests stayed with you and you expected loyalty, wouldn't that be a form of payment if you had to defend your property from brigands/marauders?
Strength in numbers.

Yes, I suppose, just not in currency. Nowadays, it means, you are watch out for each other's houses and property, share in life events, generally take care of each other.

Holy crap! That's... quite the tale! No smell of colitas I take it. Scary, though.

It was. Very.

Beautiful. Really love this one.

THanks! :)

So that's what all the hairbands up there are for! Makes perfect sense now.

The Yeti demands much.

... and that!
But now I know. ;)

(and the tarkari sounds yummy!)

(I had to also. ;) )

:laughing: You can sure tell this is a work of fiction, because no one would ever do that!

Seriously!

Nice capture!

THanks, there were a few nice takeaways this time.

Maybe he didn't speak (or read) English? :confused3

I suppose I can give the benefit of the doubt.

mmmm.... love eggrolls.

Me too!

It's true about the lakes - not quite an embarrassment of riches, but something that we should learn to appreciate more. But the real reason that we might leave our car doors unlocked is just so that when the door freezes shut, it's one less obstacle for us to actually open the door - from the outside or the inside... Polar bears don't bother with the locks, they just open the car like a furry can opener!

Do you live in the far north, Donna? I know you're Canadian, but not sure where.
That makes perfect sense about the door freezing. We get that even here in mild Oregon on a very cold day.

The bears seem... scary. I'd love to see them someday, but only through my very long camera lens!

Next update is the dinners with you guys and race weekend.
Then the one after that is Disney. That one. I'll try to remember to tag you, okay?

Okay! Looking forward to all of that!

I've rocked a fanny pack at Disney. But it was kinda in style, back then.

I'm to the point where I just don't care. Maybe I'll be a retro-style trendsetter. ;)

I don't want to be constantly fending off the women.

Oh? I thought you did. :rolleyes1

Umm.... you skipped topics here.
You mentioned that Alison suggested we meet annually. That was my idea.

They say that forgetfulness is a sign of intelligence.

Pretty sure I'm a genious. LOLOLOL!!

Don't mind me.... carry on.

Houses too. You're kinda supposed to leave the door unlocked for that reason. Not everyone has a car. Actually if you have a vehicle there, it's probably a truck or an ATV and/or a snowmobile.
We were one of the few that had an actual car.

Trucks I can see. But I don't think I'd want to be on an ATV or snowmobile in that cold of weather. Then again, I don't think I'd want to be in that kind of weather. AT all.

Nothing like a frozen lock. annoying!

Hmmm... interestingly enough... we keep the house unlocked, but the garbage is! You don't want bears rooting through your trash when you step outside.
Or the giant ravens either for that matter.

Yep, garbage is locked and/or lidded in most of our State Parks for the same reason. Not polar bears, but browns or blacks, or more commonly raccoons.

I also had to Google that one. Had no idea.

(me too)

I can help you with that. Fries.

I can hear my waistline screaming now.

Oh, I know what you're thinking. Don't worry--they're lemon!

:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

there ya go!

Oooh, very nice shot there.

Thanks, one of my favorites from this day.

Wow. This sounds like a story. What amazing hospitality!

It truly was. I have enough for a book. Maybe someday....

And another. You were on a roll here.

Once in a while you find your photog mojo and come away lucky.

:sad2: Nobody ever really does that, do they?

One does. :rolleyes2

Or did.

Never again.

I will write a strongly-worded memo!

I should hire you.

Tate had quite the adventure on his time off. I'm curious about this tea with butter he consumed...sounds interesting.

"Kyrgyz are big tea drinkers. They like tea (chai) with milk, salt, sugar and/or butter. This is how Tibetans, Mongolians and Kazakhs drink their tea. In Uzbekistan, Tajikistan and Afghanistan they like green tea consumed straight without sugar from a bowl or a glass, not a cup. Black is popular among Russians. Coffee is either instant or espresso-style served on a small cup, without milk."

The egg rolls he managed to scarf down looked like they hit the spot during an exciting adventure through Asia. Hope that was the case.

They were delicious! His hosts also ran a restaurant, appropriately called the Yak and Yeti. ;) If you ever get up that way, you should give them a little business. They only charge a firstborn.

Hey! I found $.20 cents in my pocket today after mucking out the skank room. I'm richer than you! ;)

Dang it! <scrounges for pennies.... realizes Canada doesn't have pennies any more.>

I have! I can even stay on my feet for a short while. Short being the important word there.

Maybe I'll let you hold onto me and maybe I won't kick your feet out from under you.

Fine. I'll be on the lookout for when it happens we cross paths again.

Then I'm hiding it!

As they say, age is just a number, except for working nights. Then you feel it!

Only one to go until I'm just the "fill in" night gal.

Yeah.... on my second in a row. Feeling it.

This is highly classified. If I told you, I'd have to kill you.

You're threats are of no concern to...

Hey!

Ow!

Stop it!!! Okay! Okay! I'm sorry!

sheesh.

Not many come out of meetings with HR wholly unscathed.

I have..... once.

Especially on THIS TR. :rotfl2:

:rolleyes1

Hey, that's a good idea!!

Except I think the market's saturated on that one. ;)

:rolleyes1

You are on a roll!

I'm like butter.

If only Tibet had phones. ;)

They do.
Everyone has a smart phone nowadays.

Isn't any addict coffee drinker a bit 'off' without their fix?

Give ya that one.

Oh! Simple enough. :)

Maybe if I bilked more, my adventures would be grander?

I somehow doubt that.

It is, IMHO, not as good. But for them, perhaps they need the extra calories to stay warm. ??

Huh. Interesting. Maybe?

Yes, I suppose, just not in currency. Nowadays, it means, you are watch out for each other's houses and property, share in life events, generally take care of each other.

It was. Very.

:hug:

The Yeti demands much.

Do not mess with him.
He will tear up your train tracks!

I suppose I can give the benefit of the doubt.

But probably can read/speak English and just assumed the "doesn't apply to me" attitude that is so prevalent these days.

I'm to the point where I just don't care. Maybe I'll be a retro-style trendsetter. ;)

What's old is new again.

I can't wait until that applies to me.

Oh? I thought you did. :rolleyes1

I said "constantly"

I'm already at frequently.

They say that forgetfulness is a sign of intelligence.

Pretty sure I'm a genious. LOLOLOL!!

Don't mind me.... carry on.

:lmao:

Trucks I can see. But I don't think I'd want to be on an ATV or snowmobile in that cold of weather. Then again, I don't think I'd want to be in that kind of weather. AT all.

People know how to dress for cold up North.

Yep, garbage is locked and/or lidded in most of our State Parks for the same reason. Not polar bears, but browns or blacks, or more commonly raccoons.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!