The ABCs of Another Steppe Into Adventure!- Last Africa Ch. + World Showcase Pt. 2

If you go the right way, in both senses of the word, you can end up in La Cava (affectionately known as The Ditch) - where once you fall in, it’s hard to get back out. You just can't miss by ending a day with tacos and margs.

:laughing:

2. whose cottage is this and what goes on in there? (No, that question isn’t meant to be serious, but I *am* interested in your answers. LOL! Be as creative as you care to be. ;) )

As a Canadian, I feel like I'm kind of cheating by answering these, but the garden is based on the beautiful Butchart gardens in BC. I've still never actually been there, because it's significantly further away for me than it is to go to Orlando, despite being here in my actual country. Someday I'd love to see the real gardens in person! The hotel, I think, is modelled after the Chateau Laurier in Ottawa. And no, we did not stay there when we were in Ottawa for work this past spring, but we did drive by.

#2 is the easiest though. It's my cottage. We spend a lot of time there dressing fancy and whatnot. Also, drinking tea, listening to Illuminations from inside our living room, and altogether being Canadian, etc.

ByGdOjk.jpg

HiE0aue.jpg

“Could someone please, for the love of God, de-activate his Twitter account. Please?”

I laughed, but then almost cried a little.

4. Name one of the Composers used in this film.

I actually have never seen this. I'm always worried these kinds of films will make me nauseas. So I'm just going to guess my favourite french composer: Debussy.

7. Queen's Quiz Time:

Have you:

1. Gotten a pearl?
2. Eaten in Japan? (What did you have?)
3. Taken a picture of the koi fish?
4. Watched the Taiko Drummers?

I have gotten a pearl! On our honeymoon. We've eaten at Teppan Edo once, and it was delish! We don't have a good habachi place here that caters to allergies well, so it was a novelty. I am about to share a recent picture of the koi fish on my solo trip report if I can get my butt in gear and write it. And I've seen the drummers and was very impressed! (Also, Girl Power! I especially love watching the ladies being awesome and pounding the drums!)

Quiz time: Your opinion please... 8. Should guests feed the wildlife at Disney?

Absolutely not. No way. Terrible practice that can mess up their natural lifestyle and stuff. And can make them super assertive with other guests expecting food.

....and I have never ever done this myself. :rolleyes:

I'm nowhere near caught up, but when you tag me in a post it gets my attention. That's a dirty trick! ;)

;)

I'm good at those.

Sorry to hear that Steppe. Spend time where you need to spend time. This can wait. I've learned that as well as anyone!

Hanging in there, Glennbo. :) One day at a time.

I read both of these answers somewhere recently and I cannot remember!

They are out there in the interwebs. I should know.... that's where I found them. LOL!

What's the matter, you don't like Beaver Butt soap? Actually, Judy bought a Christmas ornament here that we like. (I can't remember what it is right off-hand, but I know we like it.)

I didn't see anything like that at all while in there. Too bad, I might have bought one.

Saint Saens has be in there somewhere! Total guess, but he's got to be.

Yes!! Portions of 2 of his pieces are used. :) Nicely done!

I'm guessing -- would it be the Treaty of Tripoli, signed by John Adams?

Incorrect. Please submit another entry for a chance at our grand prize.

It's so tempting, but no, guests should not.

Good answer!

No, you haven't even gotten to 3 years yet!

LOL!!! True, but with 3 trips planned coming up, I need to get this dead fish wrapper up.

As a Canadian, I feel like I'm kind of cheating by answering these, but the garden is based on the beautiful Butchart gardens in BC. I've still never actually been there, because it's significantly further away for me than it is to go to Orlando, despite being here in my actual country. Someday I'd love to see the real gardens in person! The hotel, I think, is modelled after the Chateau Laurier in Ottawa. And no, we did not stay there when we were in Ottawa for work this past spring, but we did drive by.

I know I have several Canadian readers, so this was by nature a bit of a give away for them. ;) I saw the gardens in about 1976 ish? and loved them, even a young child. Absolutely superb if you like that kind of thing.

#2 is the easiest though. It's my cottage. We spend a lot of time there dressing fancy and whatnot. Also, drinking tea, listening to Illuminations from inside our living room, and altogether being Canadian, etc.

ByGdOjk.jpg

Okay, I think I may have to declare you the winner on those questions. I'm not sure anyone can top that story. Cuz, well, it's pretty close to a real life princess story!

I actually have never seen this. I'm always worried these kinds of films will make me nauseas. So I'm just going to guess my favourite french composer: Debussy.

Correct, he claims the most material used in the film.

I have gotten a pearl! On our honeymoon. We've eaten at Teppan Edo once, and it was delish! We don't have a good habachi place here that caters to allergies well, so it was a novelty. I am about to share a recent picture of the koi fish on my solo trip report if I can get my butt in gear and write it. And I've seen the drummers and was very impressed! (Also, Girl Power! I especially love watching the ladies being awesome and pounding the drums!)

I need to find mine. Haven't seen it in a bit. :(

Looking forward to your koi photo. :) They always make me very happy!

And yes!!! those girls can really pack a punch and the whole group is super fun to watch!

Absolutely not. No way. Terrible practice that can mess up their natural lifestyle and stuff. And can make them super assertive with other guests expecting food.

....and I have never ever done this myself. :rolleyes:

LOL!!! I think we've all done it. I mean, as annoying as they are, they are fun to watch eat up close.

The only right way to do it, of course, is by sauntering around it in a counter-clockwise fashion. It’s just how it’s done well. Sure, you can go the other way, but then you'd end your day in Canada where… well, I’m getting to that. If you go the right way, in both senses of the word, you can end up in La Cava (affectionately known as The Ditch) - where once you fall in, it’s hard to get back out. You just can't miss by ending a day with tacos and margs.

Haha I think it depends on where I'm staying because if I enter through IG, then I'd definitely go counterclockwise but if not then I have a better shot of going clockwise...although sometimes I do the counter clockwise regardless. Your argument for tacos and margaritas is definitely THE reason to go counterclockwise though!

Quiz time: 1. What famous garden in Canada does this represent? And for a bonus… 2. whose cottage is this and what goes on in there? (No, that question isn’t meant to be serious, but I *am* interested in your answers. LOL! Be as creative as you care to be. ;) )

1) The garden that starts with a B in British Columbia.
2) The night elf caretaker He is actually part of Norway but they hired him in exchange for his services. They pay him in pretzel bread and cheddar cheese soup, of course.

3. Who knows what famous Canadian hotel this is made to represent? Googling is 100% allowed. I had to.

3) Chateau Laurier in Ottowa (totally googled)

Further in guests can experience the grand natural beauty of Canada’s Rockies. Under this waterfall is housed a theater. What happens, Dear Reader, if someone steps over the rope to enter the theater if no cast member is there for a number of minutes? Hint: Cast members can get twitchy.

4. Name one of the Composers used in this film.

4) Crap I have not watched the film since 1996...hmm how about Chopin?

QUIZ TIME! 5. What animal sounds can you hear coming from the upper story windows in Morroco? Bonus for expert level: 6. There is a very historical document's replica found in the Morocco Pavilion Museum signed by a very famous American. Do you know what that document is or who signed it?

5) I have no idea! er, monkeys? Ferrets?

6) nope! I have no clue!

7. Queen's Quiz Time:

Have you:

1. Gotten a pearl?

1. Not for myself, but bought it for my nieces
2. Japan the country or Japan the pavilion. The country, there is to many to count, but Pavilion at Tokyo Dining I got a bento box of items which includes sushi, chicken, sashimi, rice, etc. I also went to the Teppan grill, which I thought was pretty good compared to other places we have nearby (they are pretty dismal).
3. I can't stand the smell of koi so no, I try to stay away from koi.
4. Yes

8. Should guests feed the wildlife at Disney?

8) Hmm I don't think so otherwise we'd have an issue won't we?

The things you learn in a music degree! Nobody ever taught me how to do my taxes, or how to problem-solve in a team environment, or how to skim read and takes shorthand notes. But I can sight sing a Gregorian chant like a boss! And I learned that Franz Liszt used to send clippings of his dog's hair to adoring fans who wrote him asking for a lock of his hair. And that apparently most toilets flush in E-flat? :laughing:

The things you learn in a music degree! Nobody ever taught me how to do my taxes, or how to problem-solve in a team environment, or how to skim read and takes shorthand notes. But I can sight sing a Gregorian chant like a boss! And I learned that Franz Liszt used to send clippings of his dog's hair to adoring fans who wrote him asking for a lock of his hair. And that apparently most toilets flush in E-flat? :laughing:
That is INSANELY fun (and useless) knowledge!!! I love this!!!

Dear Friends, Readers, Boys and Girls,

Ummm, I have a trip coming up. October 1- October 4th. Anyone want to have a quick Meet? My plans are pretty firm with some ADRs I don't want to miss, and things I am keeping as TR surprises... but I'd love to seen any and all of you for a hug and hi!

Let me know soon so I can see what might work out for us. :)

Haha I think it depends on where I'm staying because if I enter through IG, then I'd definitely go counterclockwise but if not then I have a better shot of going clockwise...although sometimes I do the counter clockwise regardless. Your argument for tacos and margaritas is definitely THE reason to go counterclockwise though!

See? Tacos and margs. All together now... Tacos and margs...

1) The garden that starts with a B in British Columbia.
2) The night elf caretaker He is actually part of Norway but they hired him in exchange for his services. They pay him in pretzel bread and cheddar cheese soup, of course.

Of course they do!!! But since the gift shop is devoid of any merchandise worth taking care of, he leaves regularly for Norway where the assortment of Elsa gowns is astounding. Of course, that''s ALL they have, but they do have plenty.

3) Chateau Laurier in Ottowa (totally googled)

Nice googling!

:lmao:

4) Crap I have not watched the film since 1996...hmm how about Chopin?

It's been 20 years!!??! You need to get back there, Girl!

5) I have no idea! er, monkeys? Ferrets?

6) nope! I have no clue!

Nope, more domesticated than that.

Answers coming up soon...

1. Not for myself, but bought it for my nieces
2. Japan the country or Japan the pavilion. The country, there is to many to count, but Pavilion at Tokyo Dining I got a bento box of items which includes sushi, chicken, sashimi, rice, etc. I also went to the Teppan grill, which I thought was pretty good compared to other places we have nearby (they are pretty dismal).
3. I can't stand the smell of koi so no, I try to stay away from koi.
4. Yes

I'd say you've done a fair amount of fun things in that Pavilion then! :)

8) Hmm I don't think so otherwise we'd have an issue won't we?

Correct! :rotfl:

Ummm, I have a trip coming up. October 1- October 4th. Anyone want to have a quick Meet? My plans are pretty firm with some ADRs I don't want to miss, and things I am keeping as TR surprises... but I'd love to seen any and all of you for a hug and hi!

Oooh, I do!! ....wait....I'll be in school then. :sad1: I'll just have to settle for hearing all about it when you get back.

Quiz time: 1. What famous garden in Canada does this represent?

I don't remember but aren't they in Victoria?

2. whose cottage is this and what goes on in there?

It's the old witch from Brave, she went to Canada when she fled Scotland!

3. Who knows what famous Canadian hotel this is made to represent?

I always thought it was the Hotel Vancouver or an amalgamation of the hotels built by the Canadian railroad.

: 4. Name one of the Composers used in this film.

Berlioz?

5. What animal sounds can you hear coming from the upper story windows in Morroco?

Not a clue. I'll have to listen for that.

6. There is a very historical document's replica found in the Morocco Pavilion Museum signed by a very famous American. Do you know what that document is or who signed it?

Again, no idea.

7. Queen's Quiz Time:

Have you:

1. Gotten a pearl?

Nope

Yes. I ate there when they had a real sushi bar, so I've definitely had sushi. I've had Teppan several times and I've also had Pork Tonkatsu.

No. My mom had a Koi pond in her backyard for many years, so it wasn't all that exciting to me.

Of course!

. 8. Should guests feed the wildlife at Disney?

You're talking to someone who bring cats treats to Disneyland. :rolleyes1

I never got fun facts like these earning my music degree!

Sure! I have a trip planned those dates! I'm just waiting until November for my 11 month window to open.

Oh wait? Did you mean in 2018? :duck:

I never got fun facts like these earning my music degree!

We had a very quirky theory professor who was an expert in...well...almost everything, really. He's still one of my biggest mentors. But he was a walking wealth of knowledge, and a bit of a comedian. He taught classes like he was telling riveting stories. Every morning he'd begin class by introducing us to a piece of music and doing a little mini-lecture on it. One Friday morning, he gifted us with this miraculous feat of composition:
:laughing: Occasionally, we did actually do school work...once in a while...

No but you should come hang out October 24-28 at DL. :)

Jill in CO

Once again, I'll let the photo do the talking (taken from interwebs).

Yes, I thought that might be what you were referring to. No idea how Disney got a way with that! And on such a large scale!
(Feeling slightly threatened right now.)

Isn't that what's so great about WDW?! So much to see; so much to do!!!!

::yes::

Uh, no. I didn't. But, I'd read about bioluminescence before in relation to certain algaes that "light up" on oceans under certain conditions. It's so super cool looking!

Oh, sure. Bio-luminescence is known by most folks.
What I was asking about though was this: "the use of clear acrylics and other lesser-seen materials for the artistry that is Pandora."

Ever hear of those plants that smell like rotten meat? These remind me of those. Glad Disney didn't decide to pipe that in.

::yes:: And... no. We don't need that smell piped in.

Oddly, I read an article the other day about intentional blur. I've dabbled in that a bit a few Christmasses ago and it was fun.

Hmmm... interesting. While I know of it, I've never (intentionally!) introduced blur.
No. Wait. That's wrong. I will intentionally blur a background to punch the foreground subject up. Of course that's super common and depending on the lens, unavoidable.

You have NO idea how many I dumped. 50? Maybe more.

Meh. Doesn't matter.

AK has pretty limited options late at night (soooo happy this park is seeing later closing times now!) so this might be all you can find at say 8 or 9.

Good point.

Are you saying I'm not excellent?

LOLOLOL!

Until you learn to sashay? Yes. That's what I'm saying!

:duck:

Interesting...that's how I always think of @pkondz :rotfl2:

:lmao:

A word regarding the Contest. Life has taken an unexpected and very unpleasant turn and I am simply unable, due to circumstances, to continue to pour forth the effort needed to continue the contest.

:hug: I'm sorry to hear that Liesa. And if I'd read this a couple weeks ago when you posted, I would've asked you about it and offered you a real hug instead of a virtual one.
I hope that things have since taken a turn for the better and you have found some comfort since posting that.

Well, at least in my over-opinionated (so take it with a grain of salt (rimmed on a marg)) world.

:rolleyes:

The only right way to do it, of course, is by sauntering around it in a counter-clockwise fashion.

Oh, absolutely agree with you! The only right way is by sauntering. Since sashaying is an elusive art form that few can master, it would be unfair to expect anyone other than the truly talented to be able to accomplish it.
So... let's just say that sauntering is the right way so as to avoid disappointing the masses.

Sure, you can go the other way, but then you'd end your day in Canada where… well, I’m getting to that.

Hey!

Well.... yeah, okay.

La Cava (affectionately known as The Ditch) - where once you fall in, it’s hard to get back out.

This sounds like the voice of experience talking. :)

and the gift shops disappoint.

Gotta say... you're right.
I think I have given better gifts to DISers than is available there.
(No not bragging. More of a reflection on how bad it is there.)

No offense my Dear Canadian Friends, but...

None taken.

Quiz time: 1. What famous garden in Canada does this represent?

Was there not that long ago. Didn't see enough of Butchart Gardens, and need to go back.

And for a bonus… 2. whose cottage is this and what goes on in there?

While I couldn't possibly compete with Meghan....

I do happen to know that is where we house our national animal, the beaver. They only come out at night (we don't want to flash our beavers in broad daylight, do we?) and their sharp incisors are used to trim the grasses and nip off the weeds. We also keep a small amount of Canada Geese there. They serve a dual purpose of fertilizing the garden (if you've ever been around geese, you know how true this is) and are also used for herding the beavers. That's where the term "Goose your beaver" comes from. It's a herding term.

3. Who knows what famous Canadian hotel this is made to represent?

Been there actually. They have a wonderful Yousuf Karsh collection in Chateau Laurier.
If you don't know who he is, he took this famous photo (among others)

yousuf-karsh-winston-churchill.jpg

Fun story in how that came about, if you're interested.

What happens, Dear Reader, if someone steps over the rope to enter the theater if no cast member is there for a number of minutes? Hint: Cast members can get twitchy.

Hmmm... sounds like a story?

the NorthWorst Mockantile?

I shouldn't laugh, but...

Notice its initials are NM, which appropriately stands for Never Mind or Nothing Much. Or even No Merchandise.

Sad, but true.

The UK Pavilion has a fair bit to offer in terms of aesthetics and food and shopping. All in all, Steppe gives it a solid 8 on the Showcase O’Meter.

Wait! They get an 8... what does Canada get? (No I won't be offended. More curious.)

“Could someone please, for the love of God, de-activate his Twitter account. Please?”

:rotfl: :lmao:

Gorgeous capture!

Who doesn’t love an ice cream martini?

Possibly me. Not a martini fan. Depends on what else is in it I think.

Name one of the Composers used in this film.

No clue! Someone French I presume... so... maybe Debussy?

No, I still don’t really want to visit Real France any time soon

Oh? Why not? Beautiful there.

Morocco gets a 9 on the Showcase O’Meter. It’s my favorite of all the pavilions

I think I knew this... But... 9. Not bad.

but slipped a notch when they pulled that travesty of letting Mo’Rockin’ go.

Never saw them, so don't know what I'm missing.

I may never forgive Disney for that. I’m not bitter at all. Eh hmmm…

:rolleyes:

Like this shot. You've got lots of nice shots and I won't comment on all of them, but that one stood out a bit. :)

5. What animal sounds can you hear coming from the upper story windows in Morroco?

Camel? No clue.

6. There is a very historical document's replica found in the Morocco Pavilion Museum signed by a very famous American. Do you know what that document is or who signed it?

Again... not a clue!

But, I can tell you the Spice Road Table is on my list for my next trip

Mine too. I've had it on that list for a long time.

ProTip: It's awesome to take your menfolk there because you can easily ditch them to go do solo stuff and they'll never even notice you're gone. ;)

You're making this even more appealing, you know.
I just was interested in the food before. ;)

What is that? Another coaster?

Right next door is the lovely, tranquil Japan

My fave. What score does it get? (Considering Morocco rates a 9 and UK is an 8)

Have you:

1. Gotten a pearl?

1. nope. But I have purchased them (elsewhere, Hawaii) for the kids
2. Yep. Did Teppen Edo with Kay. Liked it. Fun show. :)
3. I'm sure I have.
4. Of course! Several times.

Lastly, in this update, we'll pop into America- Land of the Even-Worse-Gift-Shop-than-Canada's-NorthWorst Mockantile.

So... rated low. What's the score here?

the Voices of Liberty

I'd love to see them some day. :)

and the American Adventure.

I haven't seen that in decades.

I have dabbled quite a lot in sewing historical dresses

Really! Interesting. Any photos?

8. Should guests feed the wildlife at Disney?

Wow... Well.. Technically, no. Absolutely not. Nor will I where there are signs prohibiting it.

But....... I may have slipped a bit here and there to some friendly critters.

I'm pretty close to wrapping this up; it's high time, doncha think?

Nope! :)

Last edited:

A week too late my friend....

Hey All, hanging with my daughter today, so replies will have to wait until the weekend. (Yes, sadly I've had to slip to being most a weekend DISer. :( ) But, some of your responses had me literally laughing (hard!) out loud.

Keep spreading the love...

P.S. About to queue up Coco and watch it with the girl for the first time. Excited!!!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!