The ABCs of Another Steppe Into Adventure!- Q is for: Queen Steppe’s Quiz Around the World

Discussion in 'Disney Trip Reports' started by Steppesister, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Steppesister

Steppesister DIS Veteran

I suppose. But it'd be more of one to get all the way to Asia. ;)

But, but... they're small bites.

:blush:

Thanks, Tanya. I think that's not an entirely bad thing. :scratchin

Oh, I'm glad it arrived safely!! I hope you like it!

2. Steppesister

Steppesister DIS Veteran

Of course, Donna- you are ALWAYS welcome here. :)

Oh nuts!! That's awful!

:scared1:

Holy cow! I can't imagine how horrible that must have been to lay there in that much pain while you waited for someone to help you. You poor thing. :hug:

I hope you heal up super quickly and can get back to work soon.

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. Steppesister

Steppesister DIS Veteran

Are you talking about Steppe?! It's like you don't know her at ALL.

Dude, I don't even bring my underwear on the plane.

Murphy is alive and well, my friend!

You're welcome. I love when I learn stuff like that!

I really wish I'd have had some more time with him.

Again, I ask, since when do facts matter at ALL on this TR?

Okay, I'm gonna bare my soul and expose my deepest confession. I really don't LOVE cronuts. I do LIKE them, and will (and have) share one with friend, but given a choice between that and say... Rice Cream, I won't go out of my way.

Then may you be ever blessed with unlimited warp speed and a legion of Red Shirts.

I've never seen it longer than a walk on. :confused3

I'll give you that, and yet.... it is Figment.

Then they'd better provide horse-drawn carriages.

But, if you're truly thinking like Steppe... you're not. She'd forget to put it in her purse.

Awww, that's a real milestone. :goodvibes

Heh. I wish it were an elite club, but it's still prestigious.

I may be banned from my own halls, but... I've never seen it. :duck:

5. Steppesister

Steppesister DIS Veteran

I"m SO glad you like it! :goodvibes

And I'm doubly blessed in the giving that you're making a quilt from it for your very own!! :thumbsup2 You're very welcome!

6. Steppesister

Steppesister DIS Veteran

That I can be brainless?

I suspect you are very right! LOL!

I was more concerned about whether they had catgut or staples to close a head wound.

I don't think it was intentional. I think it was careless handling and just ended up that way.

No.

I think, not sure I'm right, but I think Spam is pork. Pork is a no-go and in the most part pretty hard to find.

No. And yet, oddly that's what I had for breakfast this morning.

It's equally rude to not eat the food. If exotic food that is different from what you are used to gives you second thoughts, best to stay home. ;)

No.

Yes, I really should have. But there were also precious few free hours on this end of the trip as well. A lot of those supplies were donated by my own surgical center and a nearby hospital so it'd had to have been done in the last week before travel. There was NO WAY that was going to happen. But, yes, lesson learned.

I think I spent 90% of my time there legit dehydrated. XP

It was very tropical and junglelike. Yet, less so than say Brazil or Thailand. A lot of grasslands too with hardwood trees. You'll see more in later chapters.

Yes, the coastal area near Freetown is VERY hilly. ALL the roads are VERY steep and on bedrock which makes for some treacherous driving during rainy season. Every house had either razor wire or embedded broken glass for security as well. It kept out intruders from the "yard"/compound.

Yes, you could hear the rush of water in the distance. But it only lasted a couple of days, then dried up.

I think you're right. But even with, the corruption is so deeply embedded I think that'll never happen.

Nope. Not a chance.

Not anymore. Ours are all grown up and not so fluffy anymore. Cute, but not baby goat cute.

Thanks! This is one of my Top 10 faves from the trip.

Yeah, I think it's a see-it-to-believe-it kind of scene.

Most of the time we did, but not always.

It was as different as I've ever experienced as well... :) I want to keep traveling but I doubt I'll ever see anything like this again.

I just didn't want to offend anyone along the way. I know some people, especially in other cultures can be very sensitive about their photo being taken.

Also in my Top 10 faves! I too LOVE the colors in it.

If you were there it'd be shocking to you. The trash literally COVERED the ground. It was in the rivers, streets, everywhere.

I asked.

:rolleyes1

Nah, just doing what we went there to do.

These were quite small. MUCH larger here too. And I love them. Also, these had a more crispy wrap. The ones around here are soft.

Yep. :)

It was too late by the time I realized it! LOL!

I think likely. Yes.

I doubt there is one in the country. Mine.

No, they weren't at all. I went without the rest of the trip. Plus, while they may be wearing hijabs if Muslim, they are also used to/acclimated to that climate.

Isn't it weird? When we lived in Ecuador it was the same.

No, but all the adult do. They constantly text and call. Not unlike any human in the West.

Nope. Turns out it was not a restaurant, but a house. I think it was just built over that sign with no regard to it.

I really wish I could have gone into that supermarket. I'd have liked to have known what was in there.

I did, and it was quite good. It was an egg/mushroom soup and I'd have been happy with it as well.

Thanks! Not sure where everyone went, but glad to have you along!! :)

There were many, MANY "just keep swimming" moments.

2 ?? photos with stuff on heads. Oh no... look more closely. Or 2 good photos?

They all could. There were very few times I saw people carrying stuff on their heads that needed hand help.

7. pkondz

pkondz . . Dis Dad #797 . . Hoping to get lucky

Nah. Those aren't far. Sure, one's all the way across the pond, but the other is only halfway, going clockwise.

:laughing:

Well....... maybe.

I did not say that!

Oh! Head wounds? No problem. They just seal the wound with feces or raw sewage. It'll close up in no time!

"Herb..."
    "What?"
    "You stepped on that slice of bread."
    "Oh. Sorry. I'll pick it up."
    "Herb.."
    "What??"
    "You did it again."
    "Oh, did I? Sorry."
    "Herb!!"

Bit of a sore spot?

Yup. Had to look it up but:
    "a canned meat product made mainly from ham."

It's the "mainly" part that's worrisome.

:laughing: Called it!

Agreed.

Yup. Definitely a sore spot.

No, of course not. According

Um.... that's not good.

Huh. Of course, never having been to South America or Asia, that means absolutely nothing to me.

:rolleyes:

Can't wait! For reals!

Scary stuff. When is rainy season?

I've seen that... but only in pictures or movies.

That too is pretty far from my wheelhouse. I'm so used to water just always.... being there.

That thought had crossed my mind.
    Getting past that would be tough.
    It would be like someone saying to you "Just stop using soap."

:goodvibes

I see. I believe you.

That would be tough.... seriously.
    Survivable, of course... but not fun.

Not until the next time you go to Sierra Leone, at least.

I have yet to encounter that.
    I typically don't shoot people
    (unless it's obvious.... in a studio.)
    Mostly, if I'm shooting landscapes or scenics, I'm doing so in Canada or the US. And I know the laws there (expectation of privacy, etc) so don't worry.

Yes, I suppose it would. But... I'm seeing it differently through your photos.
    Unless later you deliberately shoot the garbage, just to show us.

I stand by what I said.

Interesting. It didn't look crispy and I'm surprised to hear that.

That's good.

::yes:: Acclimatization is huge. I don't mind freezing weather.... except in the fall... because I'm not used to it yet.

::yes::

But at a much less expensive rate.

Really! That's cool! I like that!

At first when I read that I was surprised.
    "She didn't go across the street?"
    But then I remembered that you weren't there as tourists, but to work.

It's the holidays. They'll be along shortly. :)

:hug:

I counted at least 6-7 people with stuff on heads... but only two photos where that is the main subject.

Like riding a bike, I suppose. Heck... even walking on two legs. How do we do that without falling over? :laughing:

Steppesister likes this.
  8. franandaj

franandaj I'm so happy, I could BOUNCE!

That's why you're a better person than me. I could never embark on a journey like this because I just can't relinquish control. Especially over my food. Notice we have ended up settling on two of my favorite restaurants during the April trip. :laughing:

How nice that you can see the beauty in the middle of all this.

I wonder if they have more or less neck/back problems than people who don't have strong necks from carrying things on their heads all their lives.

Yeah, another reason to take this off my "travel list" before it even made it on there.

:faint:

Another thing I couldn't deal with. I can't imagine how those stores and such look up close.

Now this I could be OK with!

Caption: "You gotta be kidding me...."

I like both of them too, so I would have been OK for two out of three meals today.

I don't know how you made it another 10? How many days?

She buys herself anything that she wants, usually on eBay. She does buy me gifts, but it's more like she forwards me the item on the internet and asks me if I want it...then when the package arrives, she opens it and says...here's your shirt....or whatever it is. It's kind of anti climactic.

Steppesister likes this.
  9. franandaj

I'm gonna say that I'm not a huge cronut fan, give me a regular old sugared donut made with yeast that it all fluffy and I'm a happy camper. We have a great donut store in Long Beach with a drive through where we sometimes break down and get one.

Yeah, hence the reason I was so wary of trying it. Fran loves it and once I took a teeny tiny bite. Once.

Well when you come So Cal, I can point you in the direction of several places you'll see it in person! :laughing:

10. pkondz

Good question!

It's huge in Hawaii.
    Kay was just talking about it the other day. Rice, fried (or grilled?) Spam on top, wrapped in seaweed. Yum!
    No... seriously... Yum!

Really?!?!? In So Cal??? I'm... pretty darned surprised!

11. Steppesister

Steppesister DIS Veteran

YAY!!!

Sooo many folk remedies!

I think it was more like poor storage and handing in general. No idea.

I actually like it now and again. I've posted this recipe before, but will again:

Grind up Spam, add a can of chopped black olives, a small can of tomato sauce, a 1/2 c. grated cheddar cheese, some finely grated onion, mix. Spread into hollowed out french rolls, broil on low until hot and cooked through. Definitely NOT Halal OR Kosher.

According...?

Nope.

We need to get you out more!

I think it'd just ended when we got there.

Yes! We Oregonians are very used to water. Everywhere. All the time.

Pretty much.

It just meant the difference between sweat and a lot MORE sweat.

I really don't know if there'll be a next time.

Me neither honestly. I"m WAY too scared to do events. And landscape photography is just more... me.

I don't know if I'll EVER get used to or like cold weather. Cold being anything under say.... 72.

I really wanted to, and DID have enough time for all the sitting around we did. But I never knew when that sitting around would happen.

Mhmm..

Hello...? Anyone out there?? Anyone?

Anyone?

THose were the 2 that I did get bold enough to do that. :) I do have more coming up later.

12. franandaj

:crazy2: you lost me at spam, but then olives and I bailed out the window!

Quite a change from your So Cal upbringing where we never get rain.

That's about the point we So Cal folks are uncomfortable. Today it was 61 while I pumped gas and I was cold. I didn't have a jacket or overshirt and for the 10 minutes that I was out there, it was almost invigorating! :lmao:

13. pkondz

"remedies"...

Uh huh, uh... black olives???

:crazy2:

That's weird. I typed it out. Must've gotten deleted somehow.
    Here's what it was supposed to say.

No, of course not. According to your own TR, you were in Disney the week before you traveled to Africa, so it would've not been possible to do a proper inventory on items donated just prior to travel.

I suppose. I've lived a sheltered life.
    Because if I wasn't in a shelter, I'd have frozen to death.

:rolleyes1

Ah.

Kelvin? Man! That's cold!

Not quite in control of the agenda.

14. MeghanEmily

MeghanEmily DIS Veteran

No way!! I've long wondered what that icon is for...good to know even the bus drivers don't know!! You'd think it would be part of their training or something...

I sure did! but since "hausted" isn't a word, I knew to go back and read more carefully.

How could we possibly forget!? :rotfl2:

:lovestruc lovely!

15. irene_dsc

irene_dsc DIS Veteran

So, I'm behind on actual TR quoting, but this cracked me up. One of dd's friends went to Tampa over Winter Break, and he was telling everyone how it got to 60 degrees, and people were wearing earmuffs. She thought that was pretty much the funniest thing ever...

16. MeghanEmily

MeghanEmily DIS Veteran

Absolutely! You could have done much worse than this, I'm sure. Protein, fat, and carbs sounds like a legit way to start the day!

:headache:

Beautiful!!

Hahaha excellent point! Just like Thanksgiving dinner! ...kinda.

Neat!! I guess everywhere you go you can find a Chinatown...even if it's only one building!

17. irene_dsc

irene_dsc DIS Veteran

Priorities... I gotta agree with yours!

This is definitely an interesting version of Chinatown!

18. Steppesister

Steppesister DIS Veteran

This is the 3rd time I've multi-quoted these and tried to respond. Let's see if I can make it through this time. :)

There was definitely a loss of control. Food, schedule, quality standards, organization, etc.... But I got to see things few people do, so I'll take the trade-off.

But, as for food on the April trip... I'm completely OKAY with everything we've talked about and actually am super excited to go to them. So, they may be YOUR favorite restaurants, I'm sure we will all enjoy them a lot.

There were many beautiful things there is you looked past the hard. I hope some of the future chapters will show some of that.

I totally wondered that too! It'd be very interesting to do a study on that. I know that carrying stuff in your arms in front of you can cause back and neck issues too, so to do a comparative study would be cool.

I think even for me there are a TON of other places I'd go for pleasure travel first.

Without water readily available, it's hard to really get in there and clean well.

YOu'd have liked this, I think. Both tasted very much like we'd get here in the States.

November 22- Dec. 2

Yeah, I can see how that would be sort of anti-climactic. :( Gifts, but... not really.

19. Steppesister

Steppesister DIS Veteran

I like the yeast donuts too. Light and fluffy. MMM! I RARELY do donuts at all, but every great once in a while, I'll break down and snarf one.

I think it's just something you either love or hate. I've never come across someone who'd only ambivalent.

That sounds delicious, actually. I'd try that.

Yeah, I didn't think you'd like this one. ;)

Did I mention how much I hate it here?

I have NEVER stopped loving my SoCal climate. There is NOTHING better than a perfect 72 with a slight salty breeze shopping in San Diego or walking on the Santa Monica Pier.

20. Steppesister

Steppesister DIS Veteran

Folk remedies that probably do more harm than good. Some may do some good- like washing a newborn baby in salt. Others, like putting poop on a wound, not so much.

Poison. I know.

Correct. Bek and I packed the last few things up just a few days before I left and I didn't see those boxes again until we got to the airport.

But you had a hot meal, though right?

:sad2:

Not in control of agenda, traffic, weather, food.... shall I continue?

21. Steppesister

Steppesister DIS Veteran

You'd sure think so. That or they just leave it there as a conversation piece. Or to be a distraction fromSe the fact that the bus is 31 degrees and you're freezing to death.

See?! SEE!?

LOL!

Oh, I love that story. :lmao:

Thanks! :)

Oh for sure. Not terrible by any means, but not Eggs Benedict either.

I loved the tropical landscape.

Just!

LOL!

Just needed some cranberries in there.

I think so! There's been one in nearly every place I've traveled.