The ABC's of Sauntering Through WDW- J is for: Just Like That, It's Judiciously Ended! (4/23)

No rush. If I finish a report before the year anniversary rolls around I start to think somethings wrong.

LOL!! I'll get there. Just with only being able to DIS on the weekends, it's tough to make tracks.

I've been fortunate that none of my kids have asked for one, either. 40 dollar stuffed plushes from the Emporium, definitely. But no balloons. (Although, they might have never realized they were for sale before. A part of me thinks they think the Cast Members are supposed to hang around Main St. with the balloons.)

Oh good guess on why not. And I think it has some ring of truth to it. I am SURE they are there for mostly looks and theming, but hey, why not make a few thousand every night while you're at it. HAHAHA!

This version looks really good. Can't wait to try it eventually.

Yum!! You'll love it!

Your Tink outfit turned out great!

Thanks!

Absolutely. If I can handle all my pets and my children during their potty training years, being a pooper scooper would be easy going.

I think so too, although my back may scream in protest.

The statue was definitely there in the summer of 2014. I remember taking a picture of my mom with it. What a bummer that it's not there anymore. This saddens me, I liked seeing him on Main Street.

See!?! I knew I wasn't the only one who'd remember it! I protest! Bring him back!

It's good to have goals!

Yes! And to stay focused. And debt-free among several other things.

Nope. Because they're $15 and won't last two days.

Correct.

Well, I remember they were at Gettysburg and Antietam battlefields. And the Castillo de San Marcos fort in St. Augustine.

Good answer!

And every Civil War re-enactment I've ever gone too. I kinda adore seeing and hearing them go off.

Sounds good. But usually in 90+ degree Florida heat, I just want the ice cream.

But why when you can have both?

You might think that's water coming out of its trunk, but it's snot.

:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

Gah! He's burning his hand off!

Ah, so the silent screamer kind.

I remember the ones on the back side of Tom Sawyer Island you could see from the train ride. Are they still there?

Yes, they are. Although, when I tried to go out there to get that photo, the one I really wanted, that section was closed for a refurb.

Which makes me wonder... are they removing the Indian Camp??!! :scared1:

Sounds wonderful. That museum is definitely a place I would like to visit. It's a bit far for me to travel there now of course, being on the far east coast, but I envision myself as a travelling retiree one day, finally able to take in all these things.

Yeah, me too. But I"ve gotta work from pretty much... ever. So there's that.

Hopefully, I can get to the review soon!

Have you been reading Friday night posts in the DisDads thread again? I believe something has been said about Snow White and her apple...

As long as it's not about her wishing well.

And no, I haven't lurked there in months. (Probably for the best. Although, I do laugh pretty hard when I do.)

I've bought two. One for each DD. And I made it known that was the one and only one they would ever get. While I appreciate the appeal and cuteness of the balloons, they are a right pain in the backside to carry around (at least we had a stroller back then and just tied them on, but still a pain) and I really felt like they were such a waste. Lucky for me they took my warning to heart and haven't asked for one since.

Ah, so a one and done. I like that approach. I can see the pain-in-the-tuckus angle.

Very cute pictures! I would feel a bit awkward to meet characters by myself, but dressing up like that certainly make sit more fun, and at least gives you something to talk about.

I don't think I'd do it otherwise. A) I'd rather ride rides or watch music, and B) Awkward.

Hmmm...well, hypothetically, why not? Of course we're pretending I've moved to Florida and can sustain myself on a pooper scooper salary.

Oh good point. I mean, unless you're trolling the tables for leftovers to eat and happy sleeping by the pools at night.... yeah. Might be a tight living.

I had all of those on my list. We fly in on a Saturday, probably will try and see the Golden Gate Bridge and Disney Museum. Sunday we would do Alcatraz and maybe the Cable Car museum. My son really wants to see the baseball stadium too. I hear Fishermans Wharf is a bit of a tourist trap, although Julie wants to see the seals.

Dress warm. Even in summer the area by the GGate is usually foggy and gross. You will LOVE the Presidio! It is incredibly beautiful. Perfect for a picnic (of PB&Js) if weather permits. Even if it doesn't, most of the buildings have nice big porches to sit on. The Cable Car Museum won't take more than an hour, but Alcatraz is an almost all day thing. I tried to get tix a week out last time (2 years ago) and couldn't. Plan accordingly. Fishermans' Wharf, yes, massive tourist trap. Loads of junk stores and chain restaurants, but if you go a few blocks off of it there are some great Italian places. The seals are fun for a first timer.

Nothing I can say .... yet. But changes are on the horizon. :teeth:

YAY!!! Looking forward to hearing about those.

I will admit I had a moment of freak out. Then I composed my question HOPING to hear nosebleed. I was a little relieved when I did. :rolleyes1

Phew!

It's not great for pain, but I do find that it pretty much works. I've been doing collagen in my coffee, but the skin on my forearms is still just as tender as it was when I started this whole regime. I still look like Fran has been beating me.

I"m glad you've found something that seems to be working. :hug: I"m sure you've seen a dermatologist, right? Maybe some steroid cream?

Sounds relaxing!

Ahhh....:lovestruc

I think that would freak me out. I don't mind birds, from a far, up close might be a little much.

You could still walk through and just not get the cup of food.

I don't think you get to use the word lazy to describe yourself!

LOL!!! I do keep busy and there is certainly my fair share of stress these days, but most is self-induced, so I shouldn't complain!

Sounds like a fun day! I'd like to go there sometime.

I hope you get to!!

Castaway Cay....in did you mean at the MK?

Well there's some guys straddling them in Pirates. I believe there's one in Peter Pan. Not sure about anywhere else....

I meant in MK, and yes!! I forgot PP! So that's 5, or even 6! Cuz I think there's also one at the Treehouse.

OK where do you get that? I adore pineapple upside down cake!

At Aloha Isle! Go! Quick!! Get thee a Dole Whip Cake!

Omigosh! Those shoes are hilarious! Where did you get them?

Jenn ( @Chrystmasangel ) made them for me!!

HECK NO! I don't even clean up the south end waste from my kitties!

LOL!! Definitely NOT the right Disney job for you!

I am pretty sure both parks had them. At least I think so! :confused3

Sounds like me, minus the toilet cleaning i
part. I have "people" to that for me.

I wish, but my apartment is so small it literally only takes me about 30 minutes to clean my whole place.

Other than the seals, you guys could give Fisherman's wharf a pass. The main reason to go there is for the seafood. There are stalls where you can get cheap eats like chowder, shrimp cocktail, and other stuff, but since you're not into that there's not a lot you would like there. The seals hand out near Pier 39, which is basically a glorified shopping mall.

I might suggest the Exploratorium, theres all sorts of cool stuff there and plenty if opportunities for Scotty to "happen".

Exactly! 100% agree with this. Also about the Exploratorium. My kids went a few years back and STILL talk about it. ALL of your kids would love it.

Also, if you want to hike I'd suggest hiking to the top of Angel Island. You take a ferry to it and it's a whole day thing.

This! Absolutely my favourite treat......so, so good!

I'm going to get one again in May. For SURE!

Awesome bound!

Thanks! I have one more to pull off this May for my EPCOT Day.

you just have to love the Country Bears!

I haven't seen it in years, but Mom will want to see it so will go in May.

I don't believe it for a minute! As a fellow over 50 (almost 53!) I have decided we are aging like fine wine......right????

I like that take on it! I like to think that while my neck isn't faring so well, I am able to do more and like to think I"m a bit wiser for the wear.

I have all the ingredients, I just didn't want to get off the couch for that long. Can't somebody just knock and hand them to me?

X is for: eXcellent eXercise in Alphabetical Hunting- Pt. 2
Time to see what Steppe found for the 2nd half of the MK Alphabetical Scavenger Hunt. I admit, trying to find all of the items on my list was a bit harder in this park because I was trying to do it while also trying to enjoy the Halloween party. I don't think I'd do that again on an event day. Then again, I don't think I'll tackle this particular hunt again in the near future at all, so there's that. I am however putting my thinking cap on for some sort of Steppe-y challenge for my trip with the kids in September. I imagine they will want to spend at least some time on their own playing the Sorcerers of the Kingdom Game or riding coasters ad nauseum. So, stay tuned... the wheels are turning.

But that's getting ahead of myself as I saunter through N-Z at the Magic Kingdom.

Every trip to the MK, especially if I'm there late at night, deserves a stroll through Casey's to get some Nuggets, which happens to start with Letter 'N'. They are golden morsels of unhealthy deliciousness. Dipped in yellow mustard, they are nothing short of crack in a paper boat. Yum!

N is for Nuggets:

Letter 'O' was obvious to me: Octopus. Here's a frightfully evil Octopus to enjoy:

O is for Octopus:

Letter 'P' was the last letter I was able to scratch off that day. I knew my first idea of Pins would be super easy, but on my way out, I got one even better as it was another of my "twofers": Pressed Pennies.

P is for Pins and Pressed Pennies:

The pressed pennies were fun because I recruited an unsuspecting guest who was making them to model them for me. He was tickled to play into my little exposition. :)

Q is for Queen! And there are plenty to choose from at this park! I was trying to steer clear of photos you couldn't get on any given day that any guest could get, but since there are so many all over the place, I made an exception and because I love this photo so much. Besides, I had one of the witch that I could have used for this one. So, there. Here is a Queen. I don't know about you, but she scares the crap out of me.

Q is for Queen:

No wonder Snow ran away.

Railroads are ubiquitous throughout the Disney parks, and I knew it'd be easy enough to get at least one during my game. Here's the wildest one in the wilderness:

R is for Railroad:

I'm curious.... how many of you, My Dear Readers, have actually ridden the Astro Orbiter? Basically Dumbo but just higher up, I have always found it a hard pass because of the stupid long lines for it. Sure, a great view for 90 seconds, but I have better things to do for the hour it takes to get on them. Nevertheless, they are Spaceships, which fit the bill for my Letter 'S'.
S is for Spaceships:

Why not a tuba for Letter 'T'? Worked for me. And although technically not a true
TUBA, too bad; I'm terribly (not) sorry.

T is for Tuba:

I'm rather proud of myself for the next one... Letter 'U'. Since I knew I'd be paying Casey's a visit, I knew without a doubt I could snag at least one
Umpire for my Hunt. How 'bout it, Folks? Kinda happy with this one:

U is for Umpire:

As with Queens,
Villians are all over the place, all the time. On posters, rides, you name it, so I just got a random photo of a villian (that you've already seen in my Party update) just to speed up the Hunt. Besides she's pure evil and so cool.

V is for Villian:

W is for
Witch. I'm going to use one I've already used (for Apples) because I got one of some other apples too, but chose to use those apples for "Yummy Treats". How do you like them apples?

Here is the witch that is undeniably the girl of your dreams, the one you want to take home to Mama, the one who would surely sing you the most beautiful lullabies as she plucked out your heart when she tucked you in at night.

W is for Witch:

I'll bet your socks are knocked off with the next one. ;) Who knew that of 4 parks, I'd be able to find a Xylophone in 3 of them! And yet, here is Xylophone #2 of 3.

X is for Xylophone:

Yummy treats are EVERYWHERE in every Disney park. I basically could throw up about 20% of my photos and satisfy this letter. Since they're apples and a bunch of other stuff too, I had some wiggle room with where to use this and a couple of other photos. I took one of a CM holding a giant cinnamon roll too, but it turned out to be a pretty unflattering photo of her so didn't post it. Although my mouth did start watering when I looked at it again. I need a Gaston's roll again y'all.

Y is for Yummy Treats:

Here's another one just for fun:

Because I'm craving it too. Good Lord, those are amazing!

Did you know that you can find ZEBRAS in 3 of the 4 parks. I suppose if I'd looked hard enough in DHS I could have found one there too, but I didn't. Regardless, here is yet another zebra to take care of Letter 'Z'. Isn't it great he's being so well loved on?

Z is for Zebra:

And that's a wrap on the MK Scavenger Hunt. The last one is for EPCOT, and who knows when I'll get to that. Depending on how my day goes, I might be able to put up a short review of my day at the Disney Family Museum in San Francisco. We'll see. :)

Meantime, carry on and do good.

I have all the ingredients, I just didn't want to get off the couch for that long. Can't somebody just knock and hand them to me?

Can't knock and hand them to you, but if you want I can send you some. You will get a knock in a few days and then you can microwave them for a few seconds and they will be nice and gooey warm.

Y? Because I Like You

Finally! An excursion to plunk another something into the Bucket List Bucket. Sit back with a nice cup of coffee. Or a martini. Or a Coke for all I care. Maybe today a cold glass of milk would be best since I just baked some choco chip cookies. Grab one as you find your spot on the couch (mind my bubble); they’re still nice and warm and gooey. Mmmm….

Okay, now… where was I? Right! On my couch with cookies stuffed in my face about to tell you all about the Disney Family Museum. I took a good number of photos to help jog my memory, but it goes without saying that this museum was CRAMMED full of information and there is no possible way for me to remember all that I saw or learned. Seriously, I’m already itching to go back so I can absorb some more.

The museum is located on the old Presdio grounds in San Francisco. The old buildings have been restored and re-purposed into different businesses, but mostly house Foundation Headquarters or other office spaces. Here is the outside to give you an idea of how big this place is:

On the rare day when this area of “The City” isn’t socked in, there is a nice porch to sit on, or the more likely scenario, to get out of the rain or mist. Once inside, the check-in desk and security guy await you. Bags are checked and then you get your tickets. It’s not cheap, as adults are $25 and students $20. But I can tell you it’s easy to spend 3-4 hours looking at all there is to see.

(^^ zoom in, that's pretty interesting!)

The general layout is chronological and goes from Walt’s childhood through his death hitting all the major eras of his life and career including the phases of his companies. However, the first “room” is an outlier. It houses the many, many awards, medals, honors, and certificates of membership that Walt or the company received. He was a member of countless foreign government honor societies, service clubs, and emeritus at universities all over the world.

But, I think my favorite awards to see were the Golden Globes, and this Academy in particular:

The other one I really liked was this Italian film festival award for Snow White:

After the first room at the entrance, you began the “tour proper” with a discourse and exhibits on Walt’s earliest life.

Among many other things, you learn that Walt fibbed on his age to join the Army and when his mom wouldn’t consent, he fibbed again and got away with joining the Red Cross. He drove an ambulance during his tour in France. I won’t bore you with the next progression of his years during the 20s, but his first break was with Oswald. He lost control of that character through some sort of copyright deal gone bad, but quickly after, he introduced Alice’s Adventures where live action was mixed with animation. There are some REALLY cool clips being played in here on how it was done, which was very innovative at the time using new techniques. As you can see, Walt moved to Hollywood (the sign still read Hollywoodland in several photos, hence the references in DHS.) in 1923 and you can read for yourself the timeline.

The next several rooms progress through the animation of the company from one era to the next beginning with the advent of Mickey Mouse as Steamboat Willie. I found this display fascinating. In a powerful way, it put into perspective how intensive the animation process is. The entire wall of cells is a mind-blowing 15 seconds of animation.

Again, there was just massive amounts of information and displays. There is no way to tell you everything. Along the way there are “telephones” you could pick up to hear firsthand accounts of people’s perspectives on this or that. One of my favorites was of several women talking about what they thought it was like working in the paint department after the Studios in Burbank were built.

Y? Because I Like You!- Pt. 2

I loved the various cells on display and watching the clips of this or that being made. Another interesting part was the process of adding music or soundtrack to animation. Walt was an innovator in this.

An animator's desk:

Paint related stuff:

Another entire room was dedicated to “The Difficult Years”. At one point, Walt Disney Co. ran into trouble with the Animator’s Union and his artists went on strike. Another was during WWII. There were massive rations of everything and Walt, being an incredibly patriotic man was heavily involved in war efforts. But he also got embroiled in testifying to Congress about Communist infiltrations among the Hollywood folk. I didn’t spend a lot of time in this area as time was starting to grow short on our visit, but it was very interesting. Tucked away in one corner was something VERY ummm.... things that make you go "hmmm?". Almost hidden away, and for obvious reason, was a very small poster of… brace yourself… Pin-ups for Servicemen done by Disney artists. Completely condoned and sponsored there were drawing of nudes (almost completely mind you)/pin-ups. I won’t post them here, as I don’t want to get busted but will happily show you if you PM me. I was blown away.

After that, were a couple of rooms that focused on the Disney Modern and Renaissance Years. I know at least one of you would be interested in these:

Before you began the section of the museum that focused on the parks and “Florida Project”, you come around a corner and are treated to this view:

We were just in time to see a cargo ship just passing under the bridge. Pretty cool!

The first exhibit is of Walt’s love of trains along with THE Carolwood Pacific. The caboose is extra special because Walt hand built it himself at the Studio’s workshop. As a sidenote, I also found it interesting that Walt also loved horses and playing polo. He also loved skiing, collecting miniatures, and doting on his daughters. There was a nice collection of trinkets and gifts he’d given to his girls or Lillian throughout the years as well as some of his dollhouses.

One of the neatest displays was this huge model of Disneyland, although, as the curator who stood CAREFUL guard over it pointed out, it was not a model of the park at any one point in time. It was a conglomeration of the park at various points in time throughout the years in an idealized state. It was fun to take a mental stroll through it which brought up memories of park visits all along my childhood continuum- from my earliest memories of going with my grandma to my Grad Night, to working there as a CM.

This was a fun little thing:

For their 30th anniversary, Walt threw a bash in the Golden Horseshoe (complete with the taboo booze no less! LOL!) I loved the invitation.

Somewhere in that room was also a huge display of Mickey Mouse Club stuff and photos, as well as collectibles of all sorts.

There were also several exhibits of Walt's other projects including EPCOT, and the ski resort he tried to get up and running, but it never took off. BUT, did you know that Disney artists did design a torch to be carried in the 1960 Olympics in Squaw Valley that all subsequent torches are based on now?

All good things must come to and end, as they say, and I found myself shedding a tear or two along with Mickey and Donald as we said good bye to Walt. A pioneer, innovator, artist, businessman, patriot, father and husband. The world loved him (except those who could have made more money off their acreage in the Florida swamp).

To sum up, I really enjoyed the entire museum. It was well laid out, had incredible exhibits with enough variety in the formats to keep you engaged, was highly interactive, and reasonably priced.

Breaking with Disney mandate, you do not get dumped into the gift shop, but I did go in.

I had to…

The bathroom was on the other side.

Cool move, Disney Family Museum, cool move.

I bought a pin for $13. So Disney-priced.

There is also a café which had reasonably priced meals and snacks. We were heading straight to dinner, so we didn’t partake.

Would I go back? For sure. And probably will someday. Until then, I hope some of you will get to. It was well worth the time and money.

Mmmmm, Astro Orbiter - have done so a few times, and the more "experienced" I get the more I do not feel the need to push my fear of heights if I am solo. I guess I will either need a buddy, or some Depends!
I used to as a kid when the parks weren't nearly as busy. I'm not afraid of heights.... just long lines.

So, I guess it depends. :lmao::lmao::lmao:

Can't knock and hand them to you, but if you want I can send you some. You will get a knock in a few days and then you can microwave them for a few seconds and they will be nice and gooey warm.
I caved and made some.

I suck.

I started out my day so well with a keto, low cal breakfast of egg scramble.

That museum looks really interesting! I will have to visit whenever I take my often thought of but never taken California trip.

YAY!! Let me know when you come through! Or better yet, start at DLR, and work your way up and end at the Japanese Garden. Or go even further and ride through the Olympics.

I'd actually like to do border to border. North to south or south to north doesn't really matter too much. Maybe next year? :confused3

Nope. Didn't go. I sat and had a 5 zillion dollar cocktail in the Fairmont across the street while I studied for my exam.

Ah! So you could afford either a drink or a concert.

Easy decision.

I think it's even funnier than Python.

With Rowan Atkinson, how could it miss?

Peach: the pie of my childhood. Gigi (my French Grandmother) had a tree outside the front door and every summer we'd make peach ice cream and pie. Sigh.... wonderful memories.

Holy cow! :eek:
It doesn't get any fresher than that!!! :faint:

Especially if it's a spicy meal.

ouch!

Tom Sawyer Island. ;)

oh. :sad2:

I wish people would use the "scroll feature" in real life more often. Use your vote to speak and otherwise move on.

Interesting concept

knock knock
who's there?
I don't know
I don't know who?
I don't know what this is referring to?

I admit, trying to find all of the items on my list was a bit harder in this park because I was trying to do it while also trying to enjoy the Halloween party.

I can see that. I just want to soak it all in. Fitting in a challenge like that would be... well... challenging.

Then again, I don't think I'll tackle this particular hunt again in the near future at all, so there's that.

One must have new games to play.

Every trip to the MK, especially if I'm there late at night, deserves a stroll through Casey's to get some Nuggets,

Naturally. I recall you really love those.

Letter 'O' was obvious to me: Octopus. Here's a frightfully evil Octopus to enjoy:

Obviously! I mean, what else could it be! :laughing:

I knew my first idea of Pins would be super easy, but on my way out, I got one even better as it was another of my "twofers": Pressed Pennies.

Perfect! I like that you did a double "P" there.

The pressed pennies were fun because I recruited an unsuspecting guest who was making them to model them for me. He was tickled to play into my little exposition. :)

I was kinda wondering there for a bit. I saw the photo before I read that... and thought, "Wow! Steppsister has really hairy arms!"

Q is for Queen!

Quite right. It's only appropriate that a queen gets her due in your hunt.

Here is a Queen. I don't know about you, but she scares the crap out of me.

:laughing:

No wonder Snow ran away.

I find Snow goes away every year in Spring.

Railroads are ubiquitous throughout the Disney parks, and I knew it'd be easy enough to get at least one during my game. Here's the wildest one in the wilderness:

Really glad you picked that one over the other one. ::yes::

I'm curious.... how many of you, My Dear Readers, have actually ridden the Astro Orbiter?

Not I. And don't have any intention of doing so.
Well.... there is a photo op that might entice me...

Nevertheless, they are Spaceships, which fit the bill for my Letter 'S'.

Sad to say but I doubt (despite what I just wrote) that they will ever fit mine.

And although technically not a true TUBA, too bad; I'm terribly (not) sorry.

Terrific alliteration there! :laughing:

I'm rather proud of myself for the next one... Letter 'U'. Since I knew I'd be paying Casey's a visit, I knew without a doubt I could snag at least one Umpire for my Hunt. How 'bout it, Folks? Kinda happy with this one:

Undoubtedly one of your better ones. I don't think I'd ever have thought of that. :)

As with Queens, Villians are all over the place, all the time. On posters, rides, you name it, so I just got a random photo of a villian (that you've already seen in my Party update) just to speed up the Hunt. Besides she's pure evil and so cool.

Very good shot. :)

W is for Witch. I'm going to use one I've already used (for Apples) because I got one of some other apples too, but chose to use those apples for "Yummy Treats". How do you like them apples?

Whether used before or not... it still counts.

Here is the witch that is undeniably the girl of your dreams, the one you want to take home to Mama, the one who would surely sing you the most beautiful lullabies as she plucked out your heart when she tucked you in at night.

:eek: Hard pass!

I'll bet your socks are knocked off with the next one. ;) Who knew that of 4 parks, I'd be able to find a Xylophone in 3 of them! And yet, here is Xylophone #2 of 3.

Xeroxes of Xylophones? Who knew?

Yummy treats are EVERYWHERE in every Disney park.

Yay! That's what makes going even more worthwhile!

I basically could throw up about 20% of my photos and satisfy this letter.

If you eat too many, than you probably would throw up about 20% (or more).

I need a Gaston's roll again y'all.

Me too!

Wait... I'll say I need a Gaston's cinnamon roll. No idea what you are referring to!

Wow that looks good!

Did you know that you can find ZEBRAS in 3 of the 4 parks.

Zounds! Three parks you say? I had zero clue.

Isn't it great he's being so well loved on?

shhhh... he's sleeping.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter