The ABC's of Sauntering Through WDW- J is for: Just Like That, It's Judiciously Ended! (4/23)

That sounds delightful! Must put it on my list for my Disney Springs day!

It's such a relaxing way to take in the scenery off your feet for 20 minutes.

I love these quotes! In a similar vein, my favourite is "If you can dream it, you can do it."

Yes, I've seen that one too and similarly love it.

The window looks terrific!

Thanks!!

I much prefer hot tubs away from the main area. It feels like a little oasis to enjoy.

Yes!! Splashing has its place. The hot tub isn't one of them.

Hmmm... depending on airport elevation and temperature, that should be perfectly fine.
So... not tragic at all, then?

Yes, of course. But, unless I'm reading these specs wrong... min at MTW is 8,300 at MSL and 29.92 in.. ????

http://www.modernairliners.com/boeing-777/boeing-777-specs/

Oh no! I'm really sorry to hear that. How did that happen?!?!?

I was being really, REALLY stupid and moved some furniture by myself up a few flights of stairs. :rolleyes2

Nope. And... will be a while. :)

Looking forward to it. :)

Okay, Folks, calling it a night. I've got a 4:30AM alarm set and a long week ahead.

Hope you've all survived your turkey bloat and romaine scare.

Have a great start to your week!

And did you? Or was it Taco Night.
Well, I did do a Fakesgiving dinner (I even escaped work an hour early to prepare it). We made pork chops in the slow cooker, scalloped potatoes, and chocolate tarts for dessert.
Sadly, I failed in my photographic evidence of said meal. It was a bit of a rush, since Brianna had a study night scheduled back at university and Katie had a math project to finish up for the next day. I had just enough time to clean up from supper and watch a little football before bed.

Along the way:

This reminds me of the lovely carriage ride we did from POR to POFQ a few years ago. I really fell in love with POFQ that night. It seemed so peaceful, and the smaller size is a bonus in my book. It's at the top of my list of moderates to try, and more likely than the deluxe Wilderness Lodge which is really at the top of my list, but financially speaking it's more of a "wish" list or "I just won the lottery" list.

The cool breeze on my face was a welcome relief from the hot, sticky air that Florida is. Quite a few other boats chugged along the Sassagoula River making their way past the Riverside, the Tree Houses, Old Key West, and Saratoga Springs, and the 20-minute journey took my mind and heart off of the realities that everyday life holds. In some very real and figurative ways, that little boat carried me far away to a place of escape.
I really enjoyed the boat ride too. In fact, through a series of events (none bad) I ended up on that same boat ride from POR to DTD this past trip. I was very intrigued by those Tree Houses, but again something to go on my "I just won the lottery" list.

It is quaintly compact- 7 buildings in total. There is no location that requires a more than a 5-6-minute walk to the Lobby, Food Court, buses, or pool. I love that! After a long day in the parks when your feet are protesting with loud screams of agony, you won’t have to put them through the amount of torture a walk from the bus to most rooms at AoA or AKL would be.
My wife has found the other moderates we stayed at - CBR and POR - too big. I was OK with their size, but I can really see me enjoying a stay at POFQ. I've generally been strategic with room requests and splurging for the upgrade (like Preferred rooms at ASMu) to reduce the walking distance at the other resorts, so POFQ would fit nicely with that strategy. Are there preferred room categories at POFQ?

The Jazzy BGM is upbeat putting a spring in ones’ step, but the fountains, grassy areas, and graceful Spanish-moss covered trees made me slow down to take in the quiet side of the ambiance.
I really liked the POR BGM, which is similar, so can I imagine enjoying the jazz at POFQ. It's certainly a nice way to wind down after a hectic park day.

My first order of business was to get my Window Decorations set up and in place.
I must admit to having never considered decorating my room window. But I do appreciate those who do.

Nearly every day when I returned, I was treated to a simple towel creation from MouseKeeping- a pleasant surprise after hearing so many comments about them being more and more rare.
We didn't have a single one at ASMu. Perhaps they are gone from values, but do appear in various forms and frequency at moderates and deluxe.

Their signature item stood up to its much talked about fame. The wait was a hefty 10-15 minutes, but they were WELL worth it. Light, fluffy, and HOT out of the fryer, as they are made to order; every stay at POFQ should include an order of Beignets!
I really wanted to try these and always meant to when I stayed at POR, but it just never happened, as things at Disney often go that way.

It felt really nice soaking in there and I found it amusing that there were quite a lot of tree droppings in the water…
Were there acorns as well? My youngest and I had quite a bit of fun in the quiet pool next to our room at POR diving down to pick up the acorns (or I assume they were acorns). Funny how something so simple can make a lasting memory.

Yes, of course. But, unless I'm reading these specs wrong... min at MTW is 8,300 at MSL and 29.92 in.. ????

http://www.modernairliners.com/boeing-777/boeing-777-specs/

And that's the shortest distance based on type! Eep!

I was being really, REALLY stupid and moved some furniture by myself up a few flights of stairs. :rolleyes2

:sad2:
You need to find a couple of burly dudes for that! I bet the furniture was bigger than you!

Looking forward to it. :)

Okay. :)

Okay, Folks, calling it a night. I've got a 4:30AM alarm set and a long week ahead.

Ugh... toooo early. And I know exactly how that feels.

IMG_7662-L.jpg

That one dude might give the Boardwalk clown a run for his money on the creepy scale.

The cruise itself was utterly relaxing and refreshing. The cool breeze on my face was a welcome relief from the hot, sticky air that Florida is. Quite a few other boats chugged along the Sassagoula River making their way past the Riverside, the Tree Houses, Old Key West, and Saratoga Springs, and the 20-minute journey took my mind and heart off of the realities that everyday life holds. In some very real and figurative ways, that little boat carried me far away to a place of escape.

Very well said! I think the boat ride to DTD makes the Port Orleans resorts just a shade better than the other moderates. It's a nice perk.

My room was very pretty, clean, and nicely themed. I did not bother to take any photos of it, since there are a million other TRs you can find with those.

But...but...how will we know if there was a bed? Or a bathroom?

A bit about the general feel of the resort… It is quaintly compact- 7 buildings in total. There is no location that requires a more than a 5-6-minute walk to the Lobby, Food Court, buses, or pool. I love that!

That is a big plus! So many resorts are so spread out.

The Jazzy BGM is upbeat putting a spring in ones’ step, but the fountains, grassy areas, and graceful Spanish-moss covered trees made me slow down to take in the quiet side of the ambiance.

I think I like the Disney version of New Orleans better than the actual New Orleans.

One day I returned and had a little note from another guest. :) That's always fun to get! I also got quite a few complements from CMs and other guests on the lights and decorations.

Cool! Looks like the room was nice and festive.

Light, fluffy, and HOT out of the fryer, as they are made to order; every stay at POFQ should include an order of Beignets! Buyer beware! Do not inhale when they are near your mouth unless you’d like your airway coated with a light dusting of beignet crack coating.

Why wouldn't you want that?

I like this shot. Cool chandelier, too.

Would I stay at POFQ again? Absolutely! So far, I’ve only stayed at POR and have to say, I prefer the French Quarter over that. I like the size, the convenience, the theming, and the Food Court over POR. Will it remain my favorite Mod? We will see after May when I stay at Coronado, and again in September when I stay at Caribbean Beach.

Glad you enjoyed it! I like the theme at POR better myself, but it's all personal taste.

All caught up! Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving! Believe it or not, for the first time in my life I celebrated american Thanksgiving with my family in Ohio. Kind of crazy that it has never happened before this year!

Your AP drama is insane, makes me glad I only have the one MDE account so that disney doesn't mess it up when I buy one in a few years.

Coming from the Left Coast, unless you take a red eye, (I've done it; and it also sucks.) you arrive too late to burn a day's ticket in a park. So the obvious thing to do is get into the bubble by having dinner and shopping a bit at DTD, so that's what I did.

Coming from the Right(?) Coast, we do the same thing. Unless you have an Annual Pass (which you barely do, after reading the rest of the chapter :laughing: ), it's just too expensive a proposition to use a park-day for just a partial-day visit.

It's also a sneak peek at my Dory Bounding. ;)

The colors are perfect -- nicely done!

I'll pull a Paul Harvey and give you..... the rest of the story:

He drove me nuts, how you wouldn't realize he was doing a commercial until about halfway through it.

The Sassagoula Float Works Food Court was quite nice. Their signature item stood up to its much talked about fame. The wait was a hefty 10-15 minutes, but they were WELL worth it. Light, fluffy, and HOT out of the fryer, as they are made to order; every stay at POFQ should include an order of Beignets! Buyer beware! Do not inhale when they are near your mouth unless you’d like your airway coated with a light dusting of beignet crack coating.

A couple co-workers and I visited Cafe Du Monde in New Orleans and one of them left with powdered sugar all over his dark dress pants. So dangerous, but so worth it.

Hi Leesa!! Trying to get caught up around here since I've been a delinquent DISer. I won't even try to pretend that I have read it all..but I enjoyed the last few pages I did read of your report!!

I made my way from the ME into the upbeat, cheerful lobby of The French Quarter.

I LOVE that hotel. I haven't stayed at that many either but the ambiance here was really adorable.

There is no location that requires a more than a 5-6-minute walk to the Lobby, Food Court, buses, or pool. I love that!

Definitely one of the pluses of this place.

every stay at POFQ should include an order of Beignets!

I agree! I also love how you paired it with a side of bacon. I can't think of a better breakfast.

OK, I finally made it over here and read an update only to find that there are two more pages, so I'm going to reply to what I've read now since I might not make it back for a while.

I saw that. :) Just glad you're feeling better now. Any news on the rental? Or the garages?

No bites. I've had a couple nibbles. Still working on the garages.

By exchanging the 3 tickets, I was also given, along with my shiny new AP card, a pretty sizable Disney Gift Card to use at my discretion.

That's great!

Luckily, I had another evening at DTD planned, so after my next dinner there (the Edison) I stopped back into Guest Services. This time I was shown into a private room. That can NEVER be a good sign.... This time, it took closer to 2 hours, (no, literally) only to have the nice CM tell me that not only could she not "fix" it, but after talking with IT for an hour, they could not fix it either.

I can't believe that they botched this so badly!

When I got home and tried to pull up my Photopass pix, they all had watermarks all over them and it kept telling me I had to buy them. Ummmm, no. An AP Holder doesn't buy their photos, it's one of the perks. That was the tip off that something was still dreadfully wrong. On my next day off from work, I called up IT and spent <no exaggeration> 3+ hours on the phone with them.

Oh, jeez. That's just awful.

The moral of the story is making pie is easier and less time consuming than buying a Disney AP, and it shouldn't take 7 hours of my time to buy a $900 Disney item. :sad2:

No it shouldn't take that much effort.

In general, I had pretty good luck with the boats though the 3 times I made a foray in to DTD, never waiting more than 15 minutes or so. More often, quite less.

Well that's good.

I did not bother to take any photos of it, since there are a million other TRs you can find with those. Or, you can take a peek here to see the interiors.

I've never seen it on other TRs. Most people I follow end up staying at DVC resorts.

One day I returned and had a little note from another guest. :) That's always fun to get! I also got quite a few complements from CMs and other guests on the lights and decorations.

Awwww that's nice of that guest. And nice that the CMs complimented you too.

Do not inhale when they are near your mouth unless you’d like your airway coated with a light dusting of beignet crack coating.

Been there, done that. :sad2:

Would I stay at POFQ again? Absolutely!

That's good to know. I've stayed at POR when it was Dixie Landings.

Yikes! Seems like you survived it.

The TR will return soon to your regularly scheduled programming. ;)

Well at least it was paused long enough for me to catch up.

Hope your tree is sparkling and your wine is too!

Nope, it's still in it's box. I'm trying to figure out where I could set it up that the kittens can't get to it. And I prefer my wine still. Hey! It's after 5PM, time to pour a glass! :laughing:

R is for: Retro Reconnaissance Romp (DHS Hunt)
****Real Life Update before we get started****

IRL, I likely have a herniated disc in C6 or C7, that is making life a bit of a living purgatory right now. My neck and left shoulder blade area are “on fire” most of the time and my arm and hand are tingly and numb if I sit, bend, turn, or look just, “wrong”… which also seems to be most of the time. :rolleyes2 I’ve tried high doses of NSAIDs which made me become a giant walking bruise (picture your 90-year old grandma whose hands have various random bruises covering them); I’ve tried Gabapentin (a med specifically made for nerve pain); I tried massage, Prednisone, muscle relaxants, heat, ice, and rest. It is only getting worse. I am really hoping to avoid spinal fusion or disc replacement surgery but know very well it could end up there. Remember Boys and Girls, body mechanics and making wise choices matter. I can think of far more entertaining ways to mess up your back. Meantime, it’s one day at a time, trying to keep my head above water while I make the best of this Season.

And now, let's get this TR back on the rails (Speaking of rails, side note: Salem had a log train derail the other night, which is about the most excitement this sleepy little State Capitol ever gets.) Since this TR has been lacking material from Hollywood Studios so far (or any material at all lately), I chose to use the following couple of chapters for the next in my series of Alphabetical Scavenger Hunts. While it didn’t take me quite as long as EPCOT’s or AK’s, it was still a quest that wasn’t as easy as I thought it’d be. To assuage your curiosity, yes, I did find a suitable representative for each letter of the alphabet (on occasion even 2!). Some took far more work than others, and some were just ridiculous. However, that’s a story for Letter ‘L’. But since our alphabet begins with Letter ‘A’, so shall I.

‘A’ was a no-brainer. This park abounds with Art Deco. And while I have dozens of photos of the lovely art deco-styled structures of DHS, in the spirit of fair play, I took a few more. *A reminder: Many of the photos for the scavenger hunt were done on the fly, so are not the greatest quality. It’s was a game. Not art.

‘B’ is for billboard, and while DHS has many, this one is among my favorites:

‘C’ is for Cast Member (a few had to be gimmes):

'Gertie' stands proud and tall over Echo Lake giving me an easy fly-by ‘D’ for Dinosaur.

‘E’ was easy as I entered the Twilight Zone. This elevator worked for me pretty well, since it’s one of my top favorite rides and I never miss it.

‘F’ is up for debate, and I know at least one of you will just to be cantankerous, because I didn’t actually SEE Fantasmic. Instead, I got this quick shot of the billboard for what I think is a fair substitute. I think points count for remembering the sign was even there at all.

‘G’ gets double points because I like both of my grabs: Green Army Men and the Gas Pumps. YAY me!

This iconic, Haunted Hotel satisfied Letter ‘H’ for me. How could it not?

I scream, you scream; it’s hotter than hell in Hollywood Studios, so let’s have some Ice Cream. Boom! It tasted great, AND I got my Letter ‘I’. (Coincidentally, it was also my very first Mickey Bar. I know… blasphemic.)

True story, in which I bare my lack-of-research shame naked to you all for public flogging…

I trotted over to the Launch Bay for the ONLY reason I’d really go there, (I apologize, @Terra Nova guy , I know you’ve wanted to do this now for a while.) to get one specific photo. Bonus, for you if you realized or remembered I’m on Letter ‘J’. I approached the podium with a couple of CMs and asked, “Hey, are the Jawas here for trading?” “Umm, sorry, they haven’t been here for over 2 years.”. Dejected and rather deflated at my Rookie move, I did remember enough that there was a display of figurines that still might afford a nice enough substitute. Behold, Jawas for Letter ‘J’.

Let's add a jack for good measure:

KRNR was kranking out some classic old tunes, and while I did ride RNRC, I also got my Letter ‘K’ as I trekked along on my quest.

In addition, because I thought it was clever, I got a photo of a very special KEY while standing waiting for RD. If that’s the key to open HTH, I want it.

Storytime with Steppe:

On my list was Lion for Letter ‘L’. I entered the park SURE that it’d be an easy slam dunk when I got to the front of the Chinese Theater. Instead, construction fences laughed in my face and mocked, “Forget it, Lady, you’re going to spend at least an additional half an hour looking for a lion in THIS park.” So, Steppe did. She went from shop to shop to shop in search of a lion. A picture of a lion. A lion plush. The shadow of a lion. Someone’s fart that smelled like lion breath. Still hopeful, after asking far too many other CM’s where a lion of any sort might be found, I entered a shop. My options were dwindling…

“Excuse me, umm, I’m lookin…”

“No, we don’t have that here.”

<blank stare of confusion>

“Well, I thought, maybe just a pictu…”

“No, sorry, we don’t have anything like that.”

<musters up courage to try again while attempting to not get irritated>

“You see, maybe an old poster of the MGM…”

“Absolutely not, we have nothing like there here!”

<wanders away completely baffled at the CM's behavior and enters one last shop with waning hope on the way out of the park>

“Do you have any Simba plushes in here or anything that resembles a lion in any shape or fashion?”

“I think so. Over there on the wall, we have some baby plush characters. Maybe there’s a Simba.”

<the Heavens opened up and angels sang as Steppe snapped a photo of a Baby Simba (a Lion!) to get her last letter (‘L’) of the Hunt>

Here's a photo of some luggage I got as my hopes were fading for a lion:

I’ll leave off with Letter ‘M’... a marquis:

It’s halfway through the alphabet and it’s been a loooooong week. Besides that, I have a raging cold and feel like crap. I want to keep my chapters short and also hope to spend some time catching up on your threads as well this weekend. :)

So sorry to hear that you're in pain. It sounds terrible, and makes the days longer when you're trying to live with a constant pain. I'll keep you in my thoughts as you continue to try to find a solution.

I loved the Hollywood Studios scavenger hunt. Or, at least, the first half you've shared. I thought the Jack was a great substitute for the absent Jawas, and I love the photo for ice cream.
I wouldn't have thought finding a lion would have been that difficult. Guess it added a surprise element to the game.

Ugh, your pain :( Both physical AND your AP pain which is ridiculous, but seriously I hope you get some relief soon. Gabapentin helped me in the past.

I have never noticed that Chevy billboard in HS! Where is it?

And I love that you decorated your window :goodvibes even better that someone left you a note!

Well, I hate all the peeling and slicing too...

But what I do like... is the eating!

Well, yes, but would argue that pumpkin, pecan, and berry pie are equally delicious but lack the annoying prep work with associated delciousness.

That's not Pie... that's Pi.

And we've devolved to Dad Jokes.

Okay... so...

Let's say we have transporters, and this is how they work:
A computer scans your brain and records it, it also, using MRI technology records every detail of your body as a laser destroys it. You are no completely disintegrated. Nothing left. A message is then sent to a distant transporter where you are reassembled using stored materials and finally your brain is written with the computer's record.

It feels like you were here, then instantaneously there.

Do you do it?

The original you is gone. Burnt to nothing. But there's a new you that doesn't know the difference and feels the same. (Heck I'll even throw in they remove any diseases detected.)

Okay, we have now entered the realms of philosophical discussions that detract from my cookie eating. But since you insist...

Yes.

Not knowing the difference is the key. Then again, I thought about it for as long as it took me to eat another bite of my choco-peppermint cookie so take that with a grain of salt. Er, sugar.

Eep! No I hadn't! You haven't noticed any symptoms, I take it?

No, but I am sporting a nice old fashioned winter cold and can't breathe well. Not sure I'd rather have had E coli, given a choice.

Ahh... Was wondering how long it'd take to feel that way... if at all.

Disney does a bang up job at drawing one in pretty quickly. The resorts are no exception. reason #209 why staying on property is best.

Oh? What time were you there? If it was late afternoon, then... there's really no excuse.

Early to late afternoon, yes? LOL! Been more than a couple months now... you expect me to remember that? ;) (yes, I have TR notes and could go find them, but... couch.)

Nice shot. If I may, I do have a little constructive criticism for you.
But only if you're interested.
It's still a nice shot. :)

I'd sure like to hear it!!! :D

Not bad!
And... you're welcome. I let them know you were coming and had them apply my transportation pass to you for the boats.

YAY me!! I was wondering if you could order as an add-on next time to have your luggage delivered late. ??

Yes it does! You let go of all your worries and...

Well, I love Disney, but on that boat ride, I fall in love all over again.

Easy to just lean back, take in a deep breath and relax, isn't it?

Hey! No teasing! :laughing:

Spoil sport.

Was that in the room?

Yep! :D

Nice! I'm usually coming in too late to take advantage of that.

See above ^...

Love that. Don't have any up here, of course.

But plenty of lichen and snow.

Very nice! Nicer than lots I've seen when I've been at that time of year.

Thanks! I put a fair amount of time and thought into them.

So you're saying size matters.

No, but you did! :lmao:

So... better/worse/same as DL?

These were better. Hotter and fresher.

:laughing: Did you do that??

Erm, umm, yes. :blush:

Oh, man... Slow?

"Okay! Here she comes! Whee!.... Wheeeee!!….. whee… whee?... Um... anytime... Just scoot on your bum a little... No, it's okay, I'll wait... Yup... I'm still waiting... Annnnnddd…. Annnndddd…. your done! Let's not do that again, okay?"

:lmao:

Not insane. Hot tub = good idea when sore.
If you weren't sore, you maybe could've managed a sashay.

Nah. Probably not.

The elegant do not sashay.

And can easily cover up "sore" with a well- place saunter.

Um... amusing? How many did you take back to the room with you? Were people pointing at you?
"Look! I think it's DeVine…"

I think there was a dermatologist that met me back at the room to make sure I wasn't covered in melanomas. Or cooties.

How did the pie turn out?

It was amazing! It got rave reviews and I had saved one out to take to work the next week and it got similar raves there. Totes a winner!

Ah, thanks for posting the link. I keep meaning to read the backstory but forget to actually follow through.

I hope you enjoyed the read. I learned a bit more re-reading it. :)

Good grief! That is nuts. Disney has to deal with hundreds of tickets a day, I find it difficult to believe you were the first person combining third party seller tickets and transferring them to a single AP. Seems like a process that should have been a lot easier than it was.

RIGHT?! Just bizarre to me. :confused3

That had to be such a great change of pace compared to past resorts you've stayed at.

Absolutely!

Your decorations turned out great!

Thanks, Alicia! They were so fun to come "home" to each evening.

Good to know. I'll have to keep these points in mind if I ever decide to stay at a moderate.

I think as your family grows, you will want a mod just for the extra space alone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!