The Adventures of Jane Hat ~ WBTA 2018 | Complete

Portland, England
Sept. 10th
Personal Navigator
Portland Shuttle Info.

We woke up at 8am today so we could get us some breakfast, usually we do the continental breakfast delivered to our room but we wanted to do the buffet today. The eggs were pretty gross but the Mickey Waffles were LOVE. Also, a bit of an odd thing; the turkey sausage had the texture of a hot dog, which was a bit weird. We thought it was interesting that so many of the supplies were European, like the yogurt, which was Active but all the labels were in italian!

Rich went up to Palo to cancel Palo dinner for tonight and rebooked it for tomorrow. After breakfast, we both went to guest services to get new Key To The World (KTTW) cards since our dinner table assignment has changed. We went back to our cabin to get ready to go ashore and found a BIG bag of English candy as a thank you from the people we gifted the Martinelli’s to. That was pretty awesome!

Finally we were ready and were able to go ashore. The ramp was extremely steep, I was surprised. But, it worked. We caught the free shuttle, provided by Portland Port, to go to our first destination: The Portland Castle.

fNgt0i.jpg

Great view of the Magic while on the shuttle

NU38Ie.jpg

Portland Castle. Which is technically a military defense fort.

XpA8T2.jpg

Went into this building to buy the tickets

The Captain’s House is also the location of a small cafe inside (we did not go) along with the shop and inside that shop is where you buy the tickets (if the outside teller is not open). Inside the shop, they were also selling the wines we bought from Stonehenge since it is part of the Heritage Collection and we were able to ty a sampling of the Elderflower wine, which we had already purchased. It was pretty good!
We did pick up the audio guide, which was free and started touring the castle/fortress.

jnMjm9.jpg

The audio guide. You put the speaker thing up to your ear

CbS6Gi.jpg

Outside the castle, looking at the entrance (the small door)

ymQep0.jpg

The fortress eventually was converted into a residential dwelling and they had changed the windows to these square windows

ci6dR6.jpg

The kitchen, our favorite room because, food. We love food.

QYRRyo.jpg

This whole thing is the cooking stove/area. It’s so interesting to learn how food was cooked before our time.

RNHkjW.jpg

Fireplace inside the kitchen

evau3x.jpg

Just outside the kitchen is this area

mMpfRg.jpg

We wandered around the castle and found this interesting place for a door

1cwrAG.jpg

This is the hallway leading up to that floating door (I’m looking down in this photo)

4bgFb4.jpg

View from the upper outside area

zhn9Z4.jpg

I see a ship …

fW65Wz.jpg

This shows how the fortress faces the port

gQE99I.jpg

To the left of looking out to the harbor

nhXcdG.jpg

Turning the camera around from the harbor, looking at the outside (notice the square windows)

Z0zUYi.jpg

Showing the upper and lower areas of the outside facing the harbor

8VimXw.jpg

Just after coming back inside from the second floor was this to the right. It’s a toilet!

OExhQk.jpg

Back on the lower level and these either real or of amazing quality replicas

ijVZyJ.jpg

Rich found armor! The lower level outside is just behind him. We are, of course, in the armory.

At this point we have stopped listening to the audio guides because we were wanting to take the shuttle up to the closest town, which is Weymouth. The Portland port is still more industrial, so we have to take shuttles to even get out of the dock area. The shuttle stops at the port entry, the castle and Weymouth. Full information, including map, is at the heading of this post.
Before continuing onto Weymouth, we had just a few more photos to take of this amazing English Heritage Site.

skcrSF.jpg

This is how the ‘windows’ looked prior to being converted to a private residence

r0AMDc.jpg

Just a handsome fellow sitting on a cannon

XGol4O.jpg

This is right below the cannon that Rich was sitting on

k0yIq8.jpg

To the right of where the cannons are is this cute little door just before you cross a little bridge to the garden

iUwK7s.jpg

Looking back at the castle from the garden entrance

gYaBKM.jpg

Exiting the castle grounds. Isn’t it serene?

290Wcg.jpg

Artistic photo looking towards the castle entrance from the road

V5XTXQ.jpg

This is the shuttle we hopped on to take us to Weymouth. All shuttles are similar

rW8X7p.jpg

Another look at the entrance from the road. The inner wall is where the exit photo was taken (just coming out)

2hlfmu.jpg

One last look at the castle while driving away

You may have noticed that we haven’t done an excursion through Disney. This is something we had planned for every port stop because of finances. However, this stop, the main excursion is going to Stonehenge, since we already ticked that off our list, we wanted something a little more local. Many people have chosen to take the shuttles since they were always pretty full but, the Stonehenge excursions were sold out before sailing, so many also went that route.

- Continued in Next Post -

Last edited:
Portland, England
Part 2

VyJjKn.jpg

On our way to Weymouth, there were wonderful photo opportunities for the ship in the harbor

eFmktu.jpg

Random residential shot. It took us about 20 minutes to get to Weymouth

We were dropped off in a round-about and had to walk a bit to actually get into town. This was okay, but just a heads up for anyone wanting to do this. It was residential, so there were sidewalks. The walk, for someone slow like me, was about 5 minutes, not too far.

n4fsm7.jpg

In town, I found this hilarious! Old Rooms Inn on the right, New Rooms Inn on the left

CjOTV9.jpg

A view from the bridge over the canal, crossing into the downtown area

p6YaKa.jpg

Rich liked the sleepy bird

k0rddS.jpg

We headed straight here

Marlboro is about as authentic as you can get with Fish & Chips, had amazing reviews and was also featured in Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown. The episode is ‘Intel from London’ if you wish to look it up. The restaurant is right after crossing the bridge, so quite easy to locate. It was a bit early to have lunch (11:30ish), especially after a filling breakfast but we knew this place was going to get quite crowded come actual lunch time, so we went in a tad early so we could enjoy the rest of Weymouth before heading back.

G2SELi.jpg

The entrance was a take-out counter but then there was a door to your left and it takes you into this small dining area

0Qk7go.jpg

When you walk into the dining area, you see these lovely windows. Tired boyfriend not included.

D3QF3X.jpg

Carrying on Rich’s quest in trying local ales, he asked the waitress what the local one was and this is what she came out with. He shared a sip with me (two drinks of alcohol before noon!)

lw6lVP.jpg

My fish & chips … which is actually the small size!

SZNw4Y.jpg

Rich got the large size

One thing on our list for this trip was to try real fish and chips from a port town. So here we are. My gosh, they were so flaky! The batter was light and delicious. We both gave this dish two thumbs up and would definitely eat here again if given the opportunity. Rich said the fries were the best he’s ever had. There was also this salad sauce from Heinz that was REALLY good, I dipped my fries in it lol.

After our delicious (and filling!) meal, we went in search of a post office. We really wanted to send the postcard we got from the Harry Potter tour to Jane while we were still in England. We thought we had lost our opportunity until we realized we didn’t exactly have a huge itinerary planned for Portland/Weymouth. We started going into a little shop, kind of like at a gas station but without the gas, and asked if they sold stamps, but they did not. That’s when we were directed to go to the post office, which wasn’t too far, just down the road. Thankfully Weymouth isn’t a very large port town.

The post office worked very similar to one in the US; you had to line up and wait for a person to be available, they weighed the item and put a stamp on it. As mundane as it may sound, its experiences like these where you can REALLY see how countries are similar and/or different because the mundane acts are the most familiar and easiest to compare with.

After our thrilling trip to the post office we went to a glass studio that I looked up while planning our trip. Richard and I love the arts, and always try to purchase some while on our trips. I would highly recommend anyone doing the same practice because you can take a bit of the country home with you :)

brNT78.jpg

The glass studio

zEPfhP.jpg

The owner firing glass

IPuKHA.jpg

The kiln is ridiculously hot. I forget how hot but when we went towards that area (behind a counter) you could feel the temperature rise just a bit

HdrC0v.jpg

We watched him start making a piece …

u5zsQb.jpg

Look at that concentration

Ev7PhU.jpg

He made a penguin!

The shop was full of beautiful pieces, such as sculptures, vases, glass flowers and a few other things. Most items were under £100, of course there were definitely items that went above that. Since our pre-planned funds were getting a bit low, we had a much lower budget but were able to find an adorably gorgeous piece which was a small polar bear (we named him Blizzard). He was a pretty rare piece to have in stock, the owner told us, because he normally makes bigger animals BUT this little polar bear was special because he had made a family set with a mommy polar bear and her cubs. Turns out that our little Blizzard ended up being an extra from this set! I originally wanted a cat (£45) but after finding out about the bear we were incredibly happy to be able to afford an animal piece from this studio, I was over the moon. We ended up talking to him and his wife after we made our purchase, we told them about Disney Cruises and how I had researched them before coming on the trip. They were flattered and so the owner signed his name (with date) on the bottom of the polar bear we bought :o I kind of geeked out internally when that happened.

After our fantastic experience at the glass studio, we decided it was best to start heading back to the shuttle.

eIVYjh.jpg

The cornerstone on the bridge

There was a small antique shop along the way so we decided to pop in to spend that extra money we had (really not much). Well, let me tell you, their antique shops are a bit more expensive than in the US. There are always expensive pieces in antique shops, but there are just as many affordable ones, too. Yeah, not here. All items were small enough to bring onboard but they were quite pricy for us. Well, thankfully … maybe, my stomach started having some issues when we were looking and so we were able to make a quick departure while asking where the nearest restroom was. Just down the road, going towards the shuttle, was another fish and chips shop and I was able to go inside to use the toilet room. Literally, it was a tiny, tiny closet with a toilet in it and a tiny sink. But you know what? In dire times like that, it was a palace.

Rich bough some tea cause he felt bad using the facilities without buying something, so there we go.

Walking back to the shuttle pick up point we found many people heading there as well. The last shuttle pick up is about an hour before ship departure, which was 3pm .. so the last shuttle was at 2pm. The shuttle we hopped on was about 1:30pm-ish, and the line to get on was pretty dang long! Sadly no photo, but it wrapped around the corner. Surprisingly, everyone in line were able to get a seat and we headed back to the port.

qynOsa.jpg

Heading back to the Magic, our home in our hearts. Inadvertently getting a photo of school kids.

f2dEBb.jpg

If you can’t tell, I was kind of determined to get this shot of the ship

Going back into the port was kind of a long process, it definitely took longer to get back in then it did to get out. We had to stop at a certain point just after entering the gates and allow a security dog to come on the bus to sniff for any contraband. Everyone was just excited to be around a dog. The security people were just doing their job and pretty focused on it. We then went just a bit further (there were buses in front of us returning other passengers as well) in the line and stopped a second time for an ID check. These agents were no joke. They, in every sense of the word, literally went to every passenger on the bus and checked their ID’s (passports). We had to use the paper that the cruise gave us while checking in but they were accepted by port authorities. They compared photos to faces and everything, quite serious on making sure only people on the cruise were let through. We also got stuck behind a bus trying to turn around, which made our trek to the ship a bit longer than usual. I want to say the whole process, from Weymouth to getting off the bus near the ship, took about 45 minutes.

swowiL.jpg

Once we got back to the dock where the ship was, this choir was here to greet all the passengers.

Singing Choir

If you play the video, not only to you get to hear them welcoming us with their beautiful voices, but I pan around so you can see the steep ramp, Cast Members giving out water, people enjoying the choir from deck four and their balconies, and the bus area that we were dropped off at. I have no idea what the song they were singing was but I cry every time because it’s so beautiful and just takes me back to that moment, which was one of the best in my life.

We graciously had some fresh water and slowly made it up the ramp, listening to the choir the whole way. It really made me appreciate how these people volunteered to be there and emphatically welcome us to their port and give us such an amazing farewell. We got through security onto the ship just fine and we headed straight to the cabin to drop off our stuff.

9DCLjY.jpg

Pixie dust Italian sparkling wine (basically champaign)

We were shocked and grateful to find us some pixie dust! No idea why this was dropped off, nothing really happened that DCL needed to send, but we were thankful none-the-less. After some happy-fun-time, a knock on the door happened (seriously, it’s good they didn’t knock earlier) and we were surprised with yet some more pixie dust:

ZBwPt1.jpg

Chocolate covered strawberries

klTZx6.jpg

Note left with the wine
The note said:
Dear Richard & Kristal,
We truly hope you are having a wonderful vacation full of magical moments.
Please accept this gift sprinkle of pixie dust as a gesture of good will for you.
Please do not hesitate to contact us by dialing “0” or stopping by Guest Services on deck 3 midship, should you require further assistance.
Best regards,
Guest Services Team

It sounds like something DCL leaves when something adverse happens with the guest’s experience but we don’t feel that anything did. After the busy day onshore, we gladly ate up our chocolate dipped strawberries with the cider that came from our romance at sea package. It gave us a bit of extra energy to drop off our first FE gift of the cruise (anchor magnets we painted). While the FE is fun, sometimes you just need that little extra oomph to get going with the deliveries. I suppose some of that extra oomph for others could be their kids begging to drop the gifts off!

After our jaunt around the ship, we FINALLY went shopping! At this point, the ship has departed from the dock and so the shops were open. I know, I know, it’s only the second day but I was itching to get me some DCL swag.

GwN2o0.jpg

What we ended up getting at the shop:
Europe Disney Dooney & Bourke wallet, a 20th DCL Anniversary pin for me, Europe 2018 hat for Richard, Transatlantic and DCL pin for both of us, and a Magic pin for Rich.

Rich couldn’t find the Magic pin displayed and he was quite sad because he is trying to get a pin from every ship he sails on. Thankfully, the CMs just didn’t have them out and there were plenty in the back. So far Rich has 2 of the ‘butt pins’ (the images are on the butt of the ship!); Wonder and Magic.

HGMsne.jpg

3a8HAc.jpg

CeoWmF.jpg

The lovely polar bear we got from the glass studio. I tried to get the signature on the bottom in the photo, hope you guys can see it.​

We came back to the room and finished unpacking, from the day before, rested up, snacked on some candy and journaled. I think Rich took a nap while I was journaling.

I’d like to make a quick note about the Dooney wallet posted above; the wallet itself was 30% off when we walked into the store. I believe it was because this is the last Europe 2018 sailing there is. There were the other styles of purses for this print when I went to buy one for me, later in the cruise, only a few were displayed. I know these purses went to the Character Warehouses in Orlando for further discount. Keep this in mind for if you are on the last sailing of anything.

Another tip for the purchases; I got the Disney Visa Discount because I put my Disney credit card as our card for expenses even though we never actually used it for onboard expenses, this put the letters DV at the bottom corner of our KKTW card. We had no idea this was noted on our card, I thought to get the discount, we had to use the card for deposit and payment too. We were wearing our lanyards with our cards, so the CM ringing us up saw the DV and applied the 10% discount on the merchandise (on purchases $50 or more).

So there you go :D Onwards to Dinner!

Last edited:
Portland, England
Part 3

Qymlsb.jpg

Lumiere’s Menu for tonight

D7HKXX.jpg

Both of us ordered this appetizer: Breaded and Deep Fried Brie with an Orange and Cranberry Chutney

a87gua.jpg

7zyakA.jpg

Rich’s French Onion Soup with Gruyere Cheese Crouton

6jeCCS.jpg

My Iced Lobster and Jumbo Shrimp with Green Asparagus, Horseradish Cream and a Dill Dressing

ylxGYq.jpg

Rich’s Main Course: Roasted Rack of Lamb - Medium with Dauphinose Potatoes, Buttered Brussel Sprouts and a Burgandy Rosemary Sauce

t0o9f3.jpg

My Entree: Conchiglie Pasta with Buttered Lobster, tossed in a Tomato Shrimp Tarragon Brandy Sauce with Lemon Basil

8ln1Eh.jpg

My Dessert: Tahitian Vanilla Creme Brûlée with Almond Biscotti

1q0NqT.jpg

Rich’s Dessert: Apple Tart Tatin; Caramelized Baked Apple served with Vanilla Ice Cream

We ate fairly quickly tonight but our servers kept up with us, so that was rather nice. I think we ate so fast because we were just so tired from a long day.

nnukbB.jpg

An elephant was in our cabin when we got back!

I was REALLY tired after dinner, so I ended up going to sleep while Richard went to the JUNNK show. I wanted to join him because the show looked fun but I was just so exhausted. He said the show was awesome!

At around midnight, we hit rougher water, both of us were sleeping at this time and I woke up to rather loud squeaking. I am a light sleeper as is, I even sleep with earplugs, so the squeaking may not have been so loud for other people, but it was loud enough for me that I could still hear it through the earplugs. Poor Richard, I was still tired and rather whiny so he tried to fix it. Turns out, the creaking was from the bed and it was the center cross bar. He tried wedging a towel between the bed and the bar but it did not work. Eventually, he ended up shifting the whole foot of the frame a bit and the creaking stopped. Finally, we were able to sleep for the night.

This was our last day in England, so I took a photo of all the cool swag we got during our time we were there, not including the merchandise we got earlier in the day. I’m sharing, not to brag but because I always find it fascinating when people share what they get on vacations, it says a lot about people and so I thought I’d do the same in case anyone else is the same way :)

sGha4p.jpg
Starting from the top left:
  • Disney Store London Tote Bag
  • Harrod’s Cotswolds Honey
  • The Ritz Afternoon Tea Menu
  • Butterbeer Stein from the Harry Potter Tour
  • Harrod’s Seasonal Tea Selection (Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter)
  • Mead, Strawberry Wine and Elderflower Wine in a wine tote from Stonehenge
  • Mickey hand spoon holder from the Disney Store in London
  • Stonehenge Cookie Cutters
  • Stonehenge beanie hat
  • Hufflepuff Bookmarks from the Harry Potter Tour
  • Harry Potter Passport from the tour
  • Stonehenge Magnet
  • Stonehenge Poster
Not included: Hufflepuff postcard sent to Jane

Pricing

• Portland Castle admission for 2: £13.40 (non-British tourists are not allowed to pay admission with gift aid)
  • Marlboro Restaurant: £23.85
    • 1 Large Cod £10.20
    • 1 Small Cod £8.90
    • 1 Piddle Ale £4.75
  • International Postage Stamp: £1.25
  • Stuart Wiltshire Glass (small polar bear): £20
  • Mickey’s Mainsail: $179.59
    • DCL Dooney Europe Wallet $110.60
    • DCL Europe Hat $29.99
    • DCL Anniversary Pin $15.99
    • DCL WBTA Pin $14.99
    • DCL Starry Night Pin $14.99
    • DCL Magic Pin $12.99
      Disney Visa Discount -$19.96

- Back to Navigation -

Thank you for posting this trip report. I am going on DCL WBTA next year. Your level of detail is wonderful, keep it on coming. Plus those Stonehenge cookie cutters are amazing :D

We sail our WBTA in 6 months, your report has me so excited.

I can't believe The Stonehenge excursions were all sold out, it makes me nervous.
We are platinum, so I hope they will still be available at 120 days, guess I am waiting up until midnight next month.
There may be a lot of platinum cruisers sailing this one.

Thank you for posting this trip report. I am going on DCL WBTA next year. Your level of detail is wonderful, keep it on coming. Plus those Stonehenge cookie cutters are amazing :D
You're welcome! I'm just glad people are still reading and that it's helping :) Yes! It took me forever for me to find them at the shop. We used them for holiday cookies this past December

We sail our WBTA in 6 months, your report has me so excited.

I can't believe The Stonehenge excursions were all sold out, it makes me nervous.
We are platinum, so I hope they will still be available at 120 days, guess I am waiting up until midnight next month.
There may be a lot of platinum cruisers sailing this one.
I'm so glad to help you get excited! Well, I suppose that's my cut off; have the TR done before the next WBTA :laughing:

There were a lot of Platinum and Gold on our cruise too. By the time our date rolled around, all the tastings were booked, and no brunch. I'm Silver CC. I was there as soon as reservations opened and had decent PAT times, and we're able to get the Character Breakfast and Frozen photo time slots we wanted. A bit later on, I think the character breakfast was booked up.
There were multiple Stonehenge port adventures and at least one was sold out .... I think the Adult only one. It was past when first time cruisers could book is when ALL of them went.
People were pretty upset about the tasting being full.
As you've read, you can procure those things onboard if there is still availability, you just can't have it solidly in the plans ahead of time

Weymouth looks like a wonderful port stop! The town is so quaint and just what you imagine a little town in England would look like.

We ended up talking to him and his wife after we made our purchase, we told them about Disney Cruises and how I had researched them before coming on the trip. They were flattered and so the owner signed his name (with date) on the bottom of the polar bear we bought :o

It always nice to talk to people who have a passion for their work and him signing the polar bear was very sweet.

Once we got back to the dock where the ship was, this choir was here to greet all the passengers.

When we left Kirkwall on our Iceland cruise, dancers and bag pipers performed on the pier to send us off. I just love things like that, it really makes the port visit even more special.

We were shocked and grateful to find us some pixie dust!

How cool is that!

Another tip for the purchases; I got the Disney Visa Discount because I put my Disney credit card as our card for expenses even though we never actually used it for onboard expenses, this put the letters DV at the bottom corner of our KKTW card.

I never knew this. I'm going to add it as my payment method for our upcoming cruise. Great tip!

One thing on our list for this trip was to try real fish and chips from a port town.

When we went to England, one of my goals was to find the best fish and chips. I think little things like that make the trip more fun. We are doing the European cruse this summer and my goal is to find the best gelato!

Both of us ordered this appetizer: Breaded and Deep Fried Brie with an Orange and Cranberry Chutney

This is my absolute favorite dish on the cruise. I could eat them for a meal.

Poor Richard, I was still tired and rather whiny so he tried to fix it.

You have a keeper!

This was our last day in England, so I took a photo of all the cool swag we got during our time we were there, not including the merchandise we got earlier in the day. I’m sharing, not to brag but because I always find it fascinating when people share what they get on vacations, it says a lot about people and so I thought I’d do the same in case anyone else is the same way :)

I also like seeing what souvenirs people bring home. For our souvenirs we always get a magnet for the fridge from the place we visit. We don't have a lot of room to display knickknacks at our house so it works well for us. My brothers family always gets a key chain which they use for Christmas ornaments.

Looking forward to hearing more!

Cobh, Ireland
9/11

Personal Navigator

We woke up today at 8am sharp, unfortunately, before our room service breakfast. Wasn’t happy about that but, I was able to fall back asleep after some food. I guess my first time being in Ireland, where half of my heritage is from, wasn’t enough to keep me up.
I was REALLY slow waking up again but we were able to go ashore around 10:40am for our 11am tour.

avc3tm.jpg

The ship docks RIGHT up to the main street area. Extremely easy to book and get to your own tours.

SJhgNA.jpg

Found hidden Mickeys while waiting for our tour guide

We ended up doing a Titanic Trail Walking Tour with a company that is actually named Titanic Trail (https://titanic.ie). This tour can also be combined with The Titanic Experience, which is like a museum, and the combined tour/museum is called the Titanic Insight Tour. I’ll list links and prices at the end of the entry. Interestingly enough, this same/similar tour was offered through Disney for quite a bit more.

This tour was something I was excited for since I’ve been fascinated with the Titanic and the events around it since I was young. Let me tell you, the walking tour part was … well, a bit of a let down. My notes specifically say ‘Rather Crappy’. The information and sights were worth our time and money but the tour guide that we were assigned was just not cutting it. The biggest issue is that he had so much spit accumulating at the sides of his mouth that he was frothing. It was disgusting to look at and really made me want to get the guy a drink. The information he gave was interesting but conveyed in a rushed manner (as was the whole tour) and when he wanted to show us older photographs of what we were looking at, he flipped open a binder and expected us to all crowd around and look. No print outs. It was just so unprofessional and a let down. Unfortunately, I did not get his name but I would be willing to try the company again but just request not to get the gentleman from 9/11/18 11am tour.
Despite our unfortunate experience with the tour guide, I got some wonderful photos from Cobh and the tour.

bK6kgI.jpg

St. Colman’s Cathedral

xMJSHl.jpg

The bike is part of the actual sign. LOTS of advertisements for Irish Coffee.

em9aWU.jpg

The plaque says:
COMMEMORATING
R.M.S. TITANIC AND HER LAST PORT OF CALL
ON HER MAIDEN AND FINAL VOYAGE. APRIL 11, 1912
IN SPECIAL MEMORY OF THE IRISH EMIGRANTS
AND ALL THOSE WHO LOST THEIR LIVES
IN THIS GREAT TRAGEDY
AR DHEIS DE GO RAIBH A N•ANAMACHA
MEMORIAL ERECTED BY
THE TITANIC HISTORICAL SOCIETY,
THE IRISH TITANIC HISTORICAL SOCIETY,
AND THE PEOPLE OF COBH.

6MQEGW.jpg

This is the Lusitania Peace Memorial

Y8BTU4.jpg

The above photo is an information board in front of the peace memorial and it explains what the Lusitania tragedy was and how the memorial was built. If you can’t make the image larger to read, I will summarize:
The Lusitania was a Cunard passenger liner that was traveling between the US and Liverpool. On May 7th 1915, it was torpedoed and suck by a German U-boat. It was a HUGE tragedy because it was a passenger vessel. While 764 passengers and crew survived, 1,196 passengers died.
Survivors and many of those that died were ferried to Cobh.

b7Tgw3.jpg

Tiles made from an elementary class to remember the Lusituana.

U2UOFG.jpg

These ‘Titanic Trail’ plaques are around the town and tells you the significance of a certain place or building. This one reads:
CUNARD LINE OFFICES
Cunard liners have been visiting this port from 1867 to the present day.
The line offices were situated in this building with the Cunard Pier located at the rear. It was at this pier in 1915 that many victims and survivors of the Lusitania were brought ashore.

dglyoP.jpg

Another Lusitania memorial:
We commemorate all Irish seafarers who have served this island nation particularly those who perished at sea
We express our gratitude to the life saving services Merchand Marine & Naval Service. R.N.L.I.
British & Irish helecopter crews
For their heroic deeds saving lives off our coasts.
To give and not to count the cost.

EhfFeE.jpg

Looking down Main Street. A fun thing about Cobh is that many buildings are multicolored

FKeTBG.jpg

Most all signs/information boards were written in English and Gaelic, which I thought was pretty cool

4E7arj.jpg

I found where the princesses go when they get off the ship!

QZcmgE.jpg

Another Titanic Trail plaque:
PREACHING HOUSE STEPS
These steps were used to go to and from the first Methodist church build in 1810 and situated on the terraces above. They became locally known as the preaching house steps.
- I didn’t take a photo of the steps because they were not that interesting

s1qBG5.jpg

We started going up in the town (eugh, I’m so out of shape) and it started showing us spectacular views

Yx9hXJ.jpg

Hello beautiful

ZHFlFb.jpg

I think this is just a beautiful photo of the cathedral

nDBV4T.jpg

5MadCz.jpg

Looking out into the harbor from the top of the hill (where the cathedral is)

We made it to the cathedral at exactly noon!

w1D8zv.jpg

Another information board talking about the cathedral and the construction;
It was built between 1868 and 1919 with donations from the local peoples of Cobh, as well as from the United States and Australia.

LBf9TS.jpg

These houses are called ‘The Deck of Cards’ and are pretty famous.
As you can see, this area is quite hilly so keep in mind if you want to walk around.

HcCqSC.jpg

This is the Bishop's house, next to the cathedral.

It was about this point where the guide left us. He was like “okay, there you go, find your way to the museum now that I got you up here”. The description of the tour is that we would be led to the museum, so we were kind of taken aback. It was apparent he was late for something and/or had another engagement that was more important than us lowly customers.
There is a path that is clearly marked for the museum that’s just next to the cathedral (towards the waterfront). Granted, it wasn’t marked too well once it opened out into the residential area of the Deck of Cards. We decided not to go into the cathedral but opted to take photos on our way over to the path and towards the museum.

nslYlR.jpg

Lovely detail of the cathedral entrance but I took the photo because of the DCL tour group lol

P9S4z1.jpg

This was erected by the church itself (Diocese of Clyone) and just goes over a little history. Most of this is on the information board posted earlier.

2RsOQ1.jpg

Okay, there were a lot of plaques around the area … and I liked them. This one was made of, what looked like marble and I found quite interesting:
Charles Guilfoyle Doran
1835 - 1909
Civil Engineer and Clerk of Works
Patriot and Fenian
He supervised the construction of this Cathedral for over four decades,
striving for perfection.

W1v06s.jpg

ST. COLMAN'S CATHEDRAL
Foundation stone laid in 1868
Completed 1916
Architects: Ashlin and Pugin
Photographs taken from the tenders to the Titanic show the cathedral without its spire
Today the spire contains the largest carillon in Ireland or Britain.
It has 49 bells the largest weighing 3.6 tonnes

Finally back down into the main area off the pier, I suddenly found myself in a sea of Titanic signs! Since we were on our way to the Titanic museum, I might as well have fun with the signage, right?

eulUt7.jpg

jRKtAm.jpg

r6VWrd.jpg

Last edited:
Cobh, Ireland
Part 2

QuBrHo.jpg

Isn’t this adorable?! They drew Ariel too! Rob Roy is a pub

N4NRV0.jpg

On the steps of the museum looking back at the main street of town

Going into the museum, it was a crazy long line. We had to wait in this line because, we did not have a tour guide to rush us through. Our tour was at 12:30 and it was just about that time by the time we got to the ticket counter. There were a few ladies just before us and they didn’t have reservations so the next tour time was at 2pm! This museum experience is just dang popular, so if you plan on doing this, I highly suggest making sure you have reservations.
Once we finally were able to check in, the ticket lady was able to get someone to round up the people for the 12:30pm tour.

e4WSAS.jpg

We waited outside these doors after getting our tickets

The doors magically opened and in we went. I don’t want to give away the whole tour, so I’ll just say a little bit. Even though people refer to it as a museum, that part really isn’t until the end, up until that point it is very immersive. It’s a cute set up and if you’re into the history of Titanic, I would recommend this place.

7wc88d.jpg

Captain and … first mate? (I forget the official title) welcoming us aboard

OOd2BA.jpg

This pier is the same exact pier that passengers used to board a boat to ferry them to the Titanic. It has not been reconstructed. Not in bad shape for being over 100 years old.

5AbRWS.jpg

jRECM8.jpg

This is how close the Titanic Experience is to the modern dock.
That’s a beautiful butt, if I do say so myself.

iXTncT.jpg

SDObw1.jpg

My notes say this is a second class dining menu but my fingers say three. You get to decide what’s correct.

7BYkuo.jpg

I believe this is a reproduction of a second class cabin. This was particularly exciting because you really don’t see a lot of images from second class since everyone loves doing the stark differences of 1st and 3rd class.

3foyPh.jpg

QjAR5g.jpg

Both images are recreations of a first class cabin, one of the more affordable ones. They, of course, got much more lavish. I believe this was for a single person.

fISlp8.jpg

Every so often along the tour, this guy pops up. This was the moment when he informed us that we hit an iceberg.

The tour let out into a museum area with TONS of facts about the Titanic, there were even some interactive exhibits. One could spend hours in here if you wanted to read every single thing. The area isn’t huge and there aren’t artifacts on display, but it just has a lot of information in a medium-is space.
If you have a kid that is REALLY into Titanic and must devour all the information, I highly suggest putting aside two hours to really go through this area. We spent an hour and didn’t get all of it. Granted, it also depends on how quick one reads.

mDgKiy.jpg

Scale model of the Titanic. Sorry for the blur.

a8k8yu.jpg

The tickets to enter the tour became souvenirs and held real passenger names. At the exit of the exhibit area are these screens that you can look up your person.
Mine was Bridget Delia Bradley from Cork, she was 22 and saved by lifeboat 13.

w3ZgNa.jpg

Rich’s passenger was Bernard McCoy who ended up in the water BUT was saved by lifeboat 16 because his sisters fought the other lifeboat passengers to get him onboard. Also a pretty funny photo of Rich.

What are the odds that both of our passengers survived? Seriously, someone want to do those numbers?

After reading about our peoples, the space opened into a gift shop of the tour (of course), which wasn’t vastly impressive. My notes say ‘kitchy’. Basically, they really just slapped “Titanic” on an assortment of things and hoped they sold. My favorite ones were the Titanic water (water bottles with Titanic as the label) and fidget spinners. In between all the knick knack were a few interesting things, including chocolates and teas. My point with the gift shop is that it’s a great place to get a magnet or something of that nature to commemorate your time in Cobh/Titanic Experience but don’t expect to find some amazing things in it.
We did buy some things, including a pin that had my mother’s maiden name that was a crest. I’m basically Irish and English. Took one of those DNA tests and 98% is of the northern isles.

bUn3H3.jpg

Outside of the building. The door to the left, on top of the stairs, is the entrance where the door to the right (with the red background and white star) is the exit, which is from the gift shop.
It took me a bit to get this photo with no one in it.

::MinnieMo JANE HAT ALERT ::MinnieMo
9qZwcJ.jpg

Sad, cause the Titanic was sad.

Afterwards, we ended up going around main street looking at getting some souvenir whiskey for Rich. We didn’t find any but had some fun finding candy bars to enjoy for later! We decided to head towards the ship but, before we did, we HAD to try some Irish Coffee. I know, I know. Such a tourist thing to do, but hey, most tourist things are tourist things because they are worth checking out.

tlpnnO.jpg

The pub we decided on trying the coffee at. We decided purely because my mom’s name is Kelly.

ESmQSI.jpg

The sign for Irish Coffee. At the time of this photo, it was €5.90

Trying Irish Coffee

1wtRFZ.jpg

The coffee and a good looking fellow

Let me get this out there in the open … I’m not a fan of coffee, I don’t really drink it. I’ve never had straight whiskey, so I can’t say I don’t like it but normally I’m a fan of fruity fun drinks if I even get alcohol. However, this coffee was good. Once it got towards the bottom, the coffee/whiskey taste was definitely stronger, so I let Rich have the rest of that.

We don’t really go to bars or pubs … so we didn’t know what to do with the glass … so we went inside, dropping them off at the bar. Just as we were about to head out and finish up our port adventures, I saw something that, at first it was normal but then I remembered I was in Ireland …

Oe6U6e.jpg

A $2 bill was hanging behind the bar … in Ireland. The bar lady said an American came in and gave them that, saying they are rare in the US.

Weird huh? I told them that, while uncommon, the $2 bill was not rare because it is still being printed. I found that many Disney people like getting $2 bills to use for tips for Mousekeeping at Disney World. Anyways, we said thanks and headed towards the ship.
For reference, this bar is along the main road that you walk down to go towards the rest of town and the Titanic Experience. In fact, this whole day we stayed within eyesight of the ship.

CvC2DY.jpg

A bank sign. I found it interesting.

vxJLTb.jpg

Don’t forget to look down when you’re visiting a new place! This was the opening of a downspout. It was interesting.

sWFX3Q.jpg

Another thing I found interesting :p The license plates are long and have the area where they registered their vehicle at the top.

We went inside a typical gift shop you see at various ports and decided to spend the rest of our Euros. This shop, I forget the name, is again, right along the main road. In this case, the shop is closer to the ship than the pub. We were going to share the rest but Richard REALLY wanted to get me this pretty necklace, so, I got a pretty necklace from Ireland :D
We still had a few Euro left, so we ended up giving the rest to a street performer that was just a bit outside of the area only cruise passengers may enter/exit. Smart fellow that was a rather good musician.
This tip is super helpful while abroad. If you have any leftover currency that you know you will not be using, find a street performer and just empty out your purse/pockets. This is a great way to help out local artists, easy way to get rid of the money, and makes you feel all warm inside for supporting someone that may be in a worse off situation than yourself.

1Y239c.jpg

Getting back on the ship. I turned around on the boarding ramp, this is what you see. The heritage center is also a tourist spot.

ccNRHX.jpg

Ah, one last view of this beautiful ship until we are across the Atlantic

Once aboard, we headed straight to our cabin. It was a long day and getting some rest just sounded lovely. As soon as we got inside, we switched on the bridge cam channel on the TV. This camera on the bridge, looking straight out at the bow is the best way you can experience the outside from an inside cabin. At the end of this day, I will elaborate on how best to use it :)
We organized some things and was able to get a photo of everything we got in Ireland …

e66yHf.jpg

Galaxy chocolate cookies (it's a brand and they're yummy), a magnet of the passengers waiting to board the ferry for the Titanic, Milka Daim flavor chocolate bar (YUM!), a Cadbury Double Decker chocolate bar (YUM YUM), Irish Breakfast Tea in a souvenir tin from the Titanic Museum, the Trinity Knot necklace Richard got me, an Aero chocolate bar, Munchies chocolates, and a Toffee Crisp.

My favorite candy bar was the Double Decker (nougat top & crispy bottom in Cadbury milk chocolate) and Rich’s was the Milka. We had no idea what Daim flavor is but it was freaking good. Upon further research, it looks like Daim is almond caramel.
If anyone wants a close up of that necklace, please let me know. Otherwise, there you go.

By the time we were done putting away stuff and taking photos, the ship was pulling out and we watched as we left our last bit of land for 4 days. It was a beautiful departure and we looked forward to those blissful days at sea. We cruise on Disney for the ships, so we love staying on the ship and enjoying everything it has to offer. Also, long voyages tend to have interesting activities, ones that are not normally available on short itineraries. We watched Decendants for the first time (we both enjoyed it but Richard really likes it) and part of Monsters Inc. before we headed off to dinner. Tonight was Palo night!

lHimzx.jpg

I made this bow for Palo night and the Afternoon Tea at the Ritz

Last edited:
Cobh, Ireland
Part 3

Ready for some mouth watering Palo food photos? I hope so ;)

boOhmt.jpg

My appetizer: Soft Potato Gnocchi; Tossed in Piennolo Tomato Sauce, garnished with Kale and caramelized Grape Tomatoes

9vtzo7.jpg

Rich's appetizer: Tomato Mozzarella Caprese; Sliced Beefsteak Tomatoes with Buffalo Mozzarella, Basil, Virgin Olive Oil and Arugula leaves

X2os1q.jpg

Rich's entree: Wild Mushroom Risotto; Arborio Rice with Porcini, Portobello, Crimini Mushrooms, Virgin Olive Oil and Parmesan crisp

DdJlIS.jpg

My entree: Butternut Agnolotti; with Sage-brown Butter topped with Amaretti and Buffalo Mozzerella

PcdPay.jpg

My dessert: Amaretto Souffle; with Espresso Gelato and Vanilla Sauce.
I LOVE this dessert. I don't eat the gelato but I put the sauce in the souffle and it was delicious.

4gEtH9.jpg

Rich's dessert: Chocolate Souffle; with Vanilla Bean Gelato and Vanilla and Chocolate Sauce.

We had a sweet server from India. Unfortunately, I forgot his name. He was quite enthusiastic about how I paced myself so I could enjoy all the courses. Also, at one point, Rich had out is phone, I think for the photos, and the server saw a photo of me as the background and he just couldn’t stop complimenting it lol. I am not sure if he was 100% genuine but he sure did know how to make his table feel special.
At the end of our meal, this lovely server surprised us with an after dinner treat …

5mPOvS.jpg

It was like a shot but tasted like melted orangecicle or orange push pops.
I could not find this on the menu.

We ended the evening quite full and ready for some rest. Of course, we had come back to our cabin turned down.

5aInom.jpg

Awe, look at the cute bear!

I believe I kept the bear in this state for a day or so. He is just so adorable! We ended up watching the rest of Monster’s Inc. while I journaled. I don’t have in my notes when we went to sleep but I do have that Richard woke up in the middle of the night and was throwing up. I woke up to him retching in the bathroom. I felt so bad for him :(

FYI for those that have motion sickness: The waters are rough once leaving the shallower waters of the isles. We had been on a DCL Panama Canal cruise in 2016 and Richard didn’t have any issues then, so it was definitely the rougher waves.
He threw up twice, I think. After he was done, I gave him my motion sickness meds (over the counter is just fine) that I take. I DO have motion sickness and always take them on cruises. After taking them, he was able to get back to sleep (me too!) and didn’t have anymore problems on the rest of the journey.

I mentioned in the previous post how I was going to elaborate on the bridge cam, so here we go. Disney has undoubtedly risen prices over the years and I know some people are having to go into lower cabin categories if they wish to still cruise with Disney. Inside staterooms have a bad rep because most people really want to see the outside, which I understand. I love these inside sideways cabins because I love the cave-like feeling, the layout makes it seem bigger than other staterooms AND the price is usually the lowest onboard. All inside cabins are not sideways but they do suffer from the whole lack of outside light thing. The best way to combat that is the bridge cam. Seriously, the quality is rather good and it’s like turning on a window. Really, I did not feel that I was left out of anything by having an inside cabin when it came to outside views. The best thing was that it’s one of the best views AND it’s private.

For those going on a Panama Canal cruise, the bridge cam is SOOOOOO much better than going out to the front of the ship, squished with everyone getting those precious photos. Yes, you want to do that for those photos but … the locks are long, it takes a full day to get through and, well, not everyone wants to be squished like that all day. No matter the cabin category you get, the bridge cam is the best way to view the locks since you can see them head on and can see how the water drains with the ships prior. You can also see all the people being busy with preparing to guide the ship through. The canal is also freakishly humid and usually has rain, so the bridge cam is a great way to still see everything if you can’t take the humidity and/or dislike the rain.

For those going on Alaska cruises, this is also a great tip. I have not been on an Alaskan trip but I believe it would also be the same, especially for those with inside cabins and for those that truly dislike the cold.

So there we go. THE BRIDGE CAM IS AWESOME.

Pricing

• Titanic Insights Tour for 2 - €34
  • Titanic Gift Shop - €20.35
    • Titanic Tea in Tin - €6.95
    • Titanic Magnet - €4.95
    • Cobh Magnet - €4.95
    • Heraldic Pin - €3.50
  • Candy Bars - €5 - estimated
  • Irish Coffee - €5.90
  • Amethyst Dublin Necklace - €24.95

- Back to Navigation -

Weymouth looks like a wonderful port stop! The town is so quaint and just what you imagine a little town in England would look like.
It definitely is. There is more around, we just stayed to a very small area. I would recommend going here if none of the other port adventures interest you.

When we left Kirkwall on our Iceland cruise, dancers and bag pipers performed on the pier to send us off. I just love things like that, it really makes the port visit even more special.
Oh really? Bagpipes in Iceland? That's pretty sweet.

When we went to England, one of my goals was to find the best fish and chips. I think little things like that make the trip more fun. We are doing the European cruse this summer and my goal is to find the best gelato!
I think the best gelato would have to be in Italy!

You have a keeper!
Indeed so! I have the ring to prove it! Won't be legal for another 3 years but ... worth it to get married on DCL

I also like seeing what souvenirs people bring home. For our souvenirs we always get a magnet for the fridge from the place we visit. We don't have a lot of room to display knickknacks at our house so it works well for us. My brothers family always gets a key chain which they use for Christmas ornaments.
Yay, I'm not the only one! Yup, magnet is a good one. My mother collects magnets, most are from the places I've been but she has some added up from her travels too. Ditto, we live in a studio apartment (oddly with an attached garage) and so our space for souvenirs are also limited. Hmmm, keychain for ornaments ... that sounds like a good idea, especially for Disney since they overprice their ornaments.

Great Review of Cork!!!

Never saw the orange flavor after dinner drink before, its usually lemon.
Hope they have it in Sept. I would love to try it!

Thanks for the update. Your hair bow and necklace are really pretty :D
Thank you very much ^_^ And you're welcome! I want to do more updates sooner but I can only handling one big task a day lol

Great Review of Cork!!!
Never saw the orange flavor after dinner drink before, its usually lemon.
Hope they have it in Sept. I would love to try it!
Thank you :) Just to clarify, Cork is a city a short train ride away, but I believe Cobh is in the county of Cork.
Oh, so Palo does normally have a surprise shot after dinner?

Thank you very much ^_^ And you're welcome! I want to do more updates sooner but I can only handling one big task a day lol

Thank you :) Just to clarify, Cork is a city a short train ride away, but I believe Cobh is in the county of Cork.
Oh, so Palo does normally have a surprise shot after dinner?

Yes, they bring it over after dinner, you're so stuffed, but its so good you have to drink it.

Another great update. I'm really thinking of doing Cork on my own. Hopefully the train station is close...I'm thinking of heading to the Jameson distillery.

Jill in CO

Yes, they bring it over after dinner, you're so stuffed, but its so good you have to drink it.
Yes it is! Do you know if it's alcoholic or just yummy flavored things? If it was alcoholic, did not taste that way lol

Another great update. I'm really thinking of doing Cork on my own. Hopefully the train station is close...I'm thinking of heading to the Jameson distillery.

Jill in CO
Thank you so much :) Yes, the train station is close ... I think it's just to the left of the dock, but the distillery is a bit harder to get to. You'd have to take the train and then, I believe, the distillery has a shuttle from downtown cork to the distillery. So you would need to factor in that round trip plus tour time. The only other way to get there would be rental car, most likely.
We were looking at going to it as well but I did NOT want to miss that Titanic exhibit :)

I just booked the WBTA for this year so I'm enjoying reading your trip report. I was super excited about Cobh and had researched and planned on just walking in to the Titanic museum by ourselves and then heading up to the cathedral and just looking around town. Unfortunately, it looks like we won't get so lucky. There is another ship in port that day so according to the Port of Cork website, we will be docking at Ringaskiddy instead. Now I'm not sure what we will do. I'm hoping it will change, but it doesn't look promising.

Yes it is! Do you know if it's alcoholic or just yummy flavored things? If it was alcoholic, did not taste that way lol

Yes, I have been told its champagne, lemoncello & vodka.
I'm curious as to what is in the one you had now!

Day at Sea #1
9/12

Personal Navigator

We had breakfast delivered again this morning at around 9:30am. After eating, we kind of ended up going back to sleep BUT we did get up and ready for our special 11:45am appointment …

D3Ly2b.jpg

Not so hidden Mickey!

0IIVHl.jpg

Can you guess where we were headed?

Yup, we were all set for our Frozen photos! I am a huge fan of Elsa and Rich enjoys Olaf, so this was a not-to-miss activity for us. Unfortunately, the waves got to Richard again and he ended up feeling quite seasick and had to remove himself from the line. For those that have not done pictures with characters at Animators Palet, the line is made using the chairs from the dining room, so it kind of corrals you into the area where the Cast Members want you. We were about halfway through this line when he had to work his way back. I was rather sad that he wouldn’t be able to make the photos but I would rather have him well than throwing up all over Elsa. I figured he was going back to the cabin so I waited in line for a bit longer. When I was about 3 families away, I saw this handsome man making a right old fool of himself cutting the line, almost stepping on peoples’ feet, getting into a small spat with a walking device and essentially causing a ruckus, similar to when a person has to walk over people in the movie theater. Yup. That was Rich. Turns out, he just went out onto deck and breathed in some fresh air, orientated himself to the horizon and was feeling much better. Happy ending, he made it to the photo shoot!

Hyeany.jpg

Kristoff was there!! We were expecting Olaf but it was Kristoff! Since we enjoy finding rare characters, we were pretty tickled he was there. I kind of wasn’t paying attention to what Rich was doing because I was talking to Elsa pretty much the whole time. She liked how I had a gem in my braid, which reminded her that it was a ‘snowflake’. I told her that I enjoyed her shoes. At this point, I did start paying attention to what Rich was doing and I caught him talking to Kristoff.

“How are Sven and Olaf doing?” inquired Rich.

“Sven is at the palace keeping an eye on things and Olaf is at the winter palace babysitting the snowgies. Marshmallow is helping” replied Kristoff.

It was a cute interaction. Richard loves the snowgies, he even has a little plush one that I got him one year as a present. Elsa gave me lots of hugs and Kristoff actually gave a REAL hug, not one of those princess-barely-touch-you-hug (that they reserve for adults). It was surprising and was a nice change of pace. This Kristoff was pretty awesome.
To make sure Rich continued to not feel seasick, we decided to go up to deck 9 to give him some more fresh air, so we got some ice cream and lunch.

OKYKug.jpg

I think this was a chicken gyro/shawarma from Pete’s Broiler Bites

bmmyY6.jpg

Our view

After our lunch, we headed back to the cabin to rest a bit. We did play Pocahontas but Rich fell asleep and then I fell asleep so we hand to play it all over again when we woke up.

yym8H1.jpg

Our location. Out in the deep waters.

I’m a bit perturbed that the above is what we did today because we had quite a bit highlighted on the navigator. Here are the things we missed that we planned to do:
1:45pm - Cheese Seminar (so upset!)
3:30pm - Solo: A Star Wars Story movie
5:30pm or 7:45pm - Captain’s Welcome Reception
6:30pm - Twice Charmed

WE MISSED TWICE CHARMED!! I was just so upset. I really was looking forward to this show and I missed it because I fell asleep. Blasted sleep. And the cheese seminar! Other than lactose intolerant people, who wouldn’t want cheese?! We love cheese. Eugh.
Anyways, we finally did start getting ready for our Formal Night dinner and we were at Rapunzel’s Royal Table tonight, which was also the Thug show/menu.
Side note: the dress I chose to wear was a bit odd fitting in the chest area since the last time I wore it (on our 2016 Panama Canal cruise). I had to put on a strapless bra and put those chicken cutlets (women, you know what I’m talking about). I never had to use those the last time. So, I guest my breasts lost weight?
Moving on …

Rco1wa.jpg

It was Rapunzel’s birthday and the Thugs were throwing a party

2mqVUQ.jpg

Menu was cute with all the lanterns

HC4sPI.jpg

This turned out pretty good. Two purchased photos in one day!
Tiaras = Formal.

6nHRCO.jpg

Looking out to the rest of the dining room. We were way to the left of the entrance, kind of in the middle, right next to the walkway.

4TQtwW.jpg

The characters walked to each table, thus resulting in an awkward bread-in-mouth photo of Rich

271iqE.jpg

I just could not get a photo of Rapunzel, her visit was so short, I didn’t have a chance to get the camera

QwatoJ.jpg

Ha! Got her! This Rapunzel was exactly her character. Very well done.

UbacfA.jpg

To the food!
My appetizer: Green and White Asparagus Spears; with a Tomato Bearnaise

keDJj8.jpg

Rich's appetizer: Grilled Knockwurst Sausage; on White Onion Mash with crisp Shallots and Sweet Bavarian Mustard

At around this time, we were visited by a Thug. He just plopped himself down next to Rich with those big ‘ol antlers on his helmet. He talked to us a little bit, kind of drawing it out, but I was able to use a line from the movie! I mean, how often are you able to get set up with such a perfect line?

“Rapunzel’s birthday is today cause it happens every year” says the Thug.

“That’s the thing about birthdays, they’re kind of an annual thing” I responded, in utter glee of being able to quote the movie.

The Thug sat there for a moment, like he was hit in the face with a fish and then his face lit up, did the perfect round ‘O’ of his mouth in surprise and exclaimed “You’re a fan!”

HOdDK4.jpg

Thug that I made his face go :eek:

megXCk.jpg

The bread basket was so pretty, I had to get a photo

wAyH4Y.jpg

The chairs were pretty too!

hcp4Z6.jpg

My salad/soup course: Baby Romaine Leaves; Tossed in a light Caesar Dressing with Parmesan, Sea Salt Croutons and Garlic Shrimp

gexhqg.jpg

Rich's salad/soup course: Wild Mushroom Soup; with White Truffle Oil and Chives

VoaTP6.jpg

The Thug with the cakes! He had a cute trolly and everything

I forget the name of the bucket-head helmet but he was a great one. Rich tried to compliment him by saying that this bucket must be his formal buckets because it has less dents. Well, the Thug thought Rich was insulting him so the Thug said he was “going to take care of him, REAL good …. by tucking him into bed” Haha, taking care of him. It was funny. But finally he realized what Rich was saying and was flattered that someone noticed.

YJW7SB.jpg

“Gonna take care of you!”

RbQ4hT.jpg

Back to the food …
My entree: Queen Arianna's Grilled Filet of Turbot; with Creamed Potatoes, Sauteed Fennel and a Light Dill Cream

q6n9J3.jpg

Rich's entree: Portobello Tiangoli; with a Sweet Butternut Squash Sauce topped with Basil Pesto and Sour Cream

So, I believe it was around this time when the bald Thug shouted “I LIKE YOUR STRAW” (we brought our own Mickey head straws) and he just kind of left but then he started to sing and dance the Chicken Dance … Thug style …

A full minute of Thug Chicken Dancing bliss

0bOfxU.jpg

Dessert! Attila's Sublime Cupcake; Red Velvet Cupcake with Cookies 'n Cream filling and Cream Cheese Frosting

Hmm, not sure where my dessert went, but I’m sure I had one. Looking at the menu (https://disneycruiselineblog.com/menus/rapunzels-royal-table-thug-menu-disney-magic/) I would imagine that I got the Sacher Torte - Glazed with Apricot Jam and Raspberry Sauce.
After dinner, we HAD to get one last photo for the day (okay, maybe two) before watching Escape to Witch Mountain and going to bed …

::MinnieMo JANE HAT ALERT ::MinnieMo
tAbo78.jpg

6Y3kTw.jpg

Got some Captain Mickey in it too

** Just an FYI, today was suppose to be the Frozen themed day with the Frozen night show BUT they changed it, so it was no longer today :(

Pricing
n/a

- Back to Navigation -

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts