The adventures of Tiggerdad (A collection of camping locations, mishaps, reviews, alterations, food, and whatever else I can find)

Today's progress:

Got rest of joists set on the larger area of the deck.
20200603_153243.jpg

I'm building a box around the pump. This way if service is needed I can pull out the insert and have full access.
20200603_153234.jpg

Started laying decking too. Unfortunately the way the house is built the overhang and gutter is lower than I would like. Kept hitting my head on downspout. DW to rescue. She promptly went and bought a plant to keep me out of there.
20200603_153215.jpg

I'll step this down to match porch. Eventually will also deck and cover the area where swing and firepit are currently.
20200603_153304.jpg

I'm literally supposed to be on I10 right now headed to FW. 😟

Rain has put halt to deck work. Got 80% chance tomorrow. Watching Gulf of Mexico. Might be more rain coming.

there are not proper handrails around that hole. nor is there a proper tie off point overhead.

Rake on the deck with the pointy end up. trip hazards running across.

what are you trying to do to that puppy????

:crutches:

(don't ask for pictures of my home improvement work, please)

This TS has halted my progress the last two days. To this point I have finished decking both upper and lower portions.
20200608_124158.jpg

20200608_124151.jpg

20200608_124140.jpg

Got access door done. This enables me to get to controls to filter, backwash, etc without going underneath. I can also empty or add sand this way. There is about 5 feet under deck because I dug out and set pump lower to even it with bottom of pool. The wooden slats pull out for access. The smaller wooden 12x12 block covers the skimmer and is routed out on bottom to fit the hole.
20200608_124134.jpg

I also replaced the ladder. I went with option that was steps and attached to the deck. It doesn't take up any more room in pool than original ladder did.20200608_124208.jpg

Deck is looking good. :thumbsup2 That big fan must help with the heat and humidity.

Looking good Michael, good thing you don't need a pool heater in you neck of the woods. on my old above ground deck, I finished the back with 6' fence panels instead of railing, nice privacy and good place to hang decorative creatures, I'll try to find a picture

I'm literally supposed to be on I10 right now headed to FW. 😟
I feel your pain. I was supposed to be on a plane to St Thomas Saturday. Rescheduled for November. I moved the trip insurance to the new dates, but still got an email reminder from them Saturday to "Enjoy the Trip". Nothing like rubbing it in.

The deck looks great. All that new wood. I just finished getting the deck and pavers done around mine. I reused the old composite deck boards from my old deck. They are 14 years old, but other than being dirty from sitting stacked for a year, they went down great. I'll post pics when I get things cleaned up.

j

Last edited:
Donna got a pic yesterday as I was finishing up. I love the look of the new wood on yours, but I won't envy you when you are staining it. I have a 16 X 16 wood deck up by the house where the hot tub sits. I need to restain it, but we haven't had a dry spell long enough to get away with it.

Here's my dirty old plastic wood. A little deck wash and a scrub brush and it looks great.

101853663_10221974216681832_5416081409223581655_o.jpg

j

Last edited:
Off and on rain slowing me down. Today I finished steps closest to screened in porch. These are temporary.
20200609_190830.jpg

I also finished transition steps from upper and lower deck.
20200609_190851.jpg

I got two sections of railing done. Took a lot of time as we were drilling a lot of holes.
20200609_190911.jpg

We went with railing made out of 32" aluminum rods. I drilled 13/16 hole halfway through the base 2x4.
20200609_190934.jpg

For top I drilled completely through the 2x4 and slipped the rods through and into lower 2x4. I capped that off with 2x6 and trimmed with half of a decking board cut with table saw.
20200609_190937.jpg

In this corner instead of railing I'm going to build a bench into the space so they form a 90 degree sitting area.
20200609_190952.jpg

How are you going to make the corner bench? I want to do something similar along one side of my deck closest to the house. I've been looking at these frames that you just put wood on. Really saves on the framing.

41Y27FSSADL._AC_SX450_.jpg

images

j

In my head Jim its very similar, but I'm going to stick build and us the decking board for seat and back. I got a few ideas to try, but main point is it will take away very little of deck space. It will actually hang out off the deck. As I put it together and figure a few things out I'll post it.

I gotta avoid metal as much as possible with salt in water even though its low concentration. Thats why I went with aluminum railing to cut back rust factor.

These will each be about 5 foot and join in corner. I didn't allow enough room for a table but that is pretty neat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!