The Best Tips I learned from my summer vacation at WDW!

wmears13

Mouseketeer
. 1. We loved the two-way radios. We had Motorola Talkabouts FR50/60, 14 channels w/ 38 subchannels. Only put batteries in one once in 10 days (dh had put batteries in upside down and they still worked?! We turned them off when we were all together. Used two channels and only had to switch twice. I was able to talk to my ds from the Swann lobby while she was in ESPN. The were a big help in the parks when 1 of us would go to grab fast passes and needed to catch up to the rest of the group. Of course, it helps if the person talking into the radio knows where he is at, can read a map and arrive at the final destination! LOL! We enjoyed just playing w/ them-our catch line became "Can you hear me? Can you hear me now?".

2. I made autograph books for my 2 nieces and bought plain hats for my nephews. I decorated the books with Mickey and Friends stickers and grabbed pens at The Dollar Store. I got fabric pens at Michaels. The kids loved these and the 6 year old turned her new autographs into bilboards during the autograph sessions!

3. My 2 sisters and I all got Tevas last Thanksgiving (big sale) and loved them! Mine did rub me across the top of my foot when they got wet but I think that was my fault. I really hate anything tight on my feet and had them too loose. One of my ds had polio as a child and needs shoes she can buckle securely to her feet; she doesn't have the muscle that lets you flex your feet to keep footwear on. She looooved these.

4. Took little candies and treats for the kids everyday. Just Sprees, whistle pops (I'm really sorry if you were waiting for the Spectro-magic parade at 9 pm on 7/9), gum, Mickey roll-ups, Pooh fruit chews, warheads, and other stuff. I know it's not logical, giving the kids more sugar but they sweated it right out! Just a little bit went a long way in soothing frazzled tempers!

5. Took little containers of Crystal Light, stuck in a Ziploc bag. Covered the taste of the "Metal Water". 1 little container was enough for two water bottels, we like it strong:D .

6. TAKE YOUR WATER BOTTLES!!!!!! Never leave with out them!!

7. Hang onto your fastpasses, they are easy to loose:eek: !

8. Use moleskin or the blister bandaids. The blister bandaids kind of melt into your skin and really work. Bandaids (except for the active, waterproof ones do not make it).

9. We took tiny personnel fans but never used them! Too much to carry and Florida is actually cooler that Missouri in the summertime!:D

10. Take lots of film -- I did but BIL didn't :p .

11. If you are planning on making a scrapbook and your mate hogs the camera:rolleyes: . consider taking two. I got really tired of having to wrestle it away from him and now realize all the shots I missed:eek: .

12. Realize that just sticking the camera under your wet shirt will not protect it from the rain and it will take 24-30 hours to dry out.

13. Not a bad idea to throw some disposable cameras in the bag. If you loose, damage or otherwise kill your camera, disposables cost about $15 in the World. $30.00 for two!:eek:

14. Use Disney transportation. I was always scared of the busses but these worked wonerfully. Just read the boards and realize you can make your own shortcuts. For example, we were staying at the Swann and took the bus to the Boardwalk, it was just a short stroll to the Swann. OR, if you want to go to WL, bus to MK and then take the boat to the lodge!

15. When you need a snack, grab a kid's meal. Tasty and cheap.

16. Get the GOH badges. Worth every penny, loved by everyone. One man asked if we were VIPs. We said, "Of course!".:D They also listened when we told one group where they had to stand for a ride and a parade!!!:D

17. The kids loved the goodie bags I made for them. I also made invitations for Chef Mickey's, Cindy's and the Illuminations Cruise--gotta love the computer! These got delivered by Tinkerbelle w/ pixie dust and really made the characters seem real to a almost-7-year-old.

18. If you have small children in the group and this is their first trip, take them, stand in line, and see Mickey early in the day. Katie searched for him everywhere and turned to me to say, "I've been here all day and I haven't seen Mickey yet!". (I had Chef Mickeys scheduled for another day and didn't want to wait in line
:eek:

19. Don't count on Guest Services or the CM's to make your stay magical. There are a lot of little things you can do yourself. We stayed at PO-FQ and when I told them it would be my nieces birthday, they suggested I call the operator and they could get someone to wish her a happy birthday. I was a little disapointed but had packed my Mary Poppins bag and had lots of magic on hand!:D

20. Last one: Take time to enjoy being w/ your family. We were there for 10 days and probably missed more than we saw but we enjoyed being together as a family. It really strengthed some bonds and made for great memories.:)

These are great tips! Thanks so much for sharing. :) Sounds like you had a great trip.

Loved the tips! Sounds like you had a wonderful time.

I am going to use your suggestion and make invitations for Chef Mickey's and Grand Adventures in Cooking.

One of my BEST buys was a Large \_/ wedge shaped,water resistant,tote bag!! At a water ride, I saw a woman stoy the whole families things in there along with the video camera and there other cameras!! That was that!! I had to have one to stoy the video camera in!! I found mine at AK! its black with a large Sorcer Mickey on it in full color! and it has the water resistant outside finish!! It is Fabulous to carry large quanties or just the camera and film!!

Tink2dw, I remeber from your trip tips how much you liked having the "Big Bag" at WDW. I kept looking at them w/ sooo much longing, but kept convincing myself that I didn't really need one, did'nt I have one at home that dh got FREE from his work?!!!!

Of course I did but it didn't have Mickey on it!!!! Now that I'm home it's the one thing I wish I would have gotten. They had such great designs and prices. I kept thinking I'd need one to carry all the souvies in but, since I packed an extra bag w/ everyones suprise bags and treats in it, and since it was empty for the trip home.... Boy I wish I would have picked up that bag!

Great tips!!!!!

I never thought of having a water resistant bag. Hmmmm. I've got a backpack cooler that I will be using for dd's juice. That should be water resistant should it be? Guess I could always bring jumbo zip locks. *Note to self.....gotta invest in the zip lock company!!!! :D

wmears13, I just knew, if I left without that bag,it would be the Thing, I would regret not getting!! And it has been, even more useful at home!!!! I am SO GLAD that I Bought it!!

What shop exactly did you buy this bag at? And can you describe it better? Price????

Barbruka,they are in every Park,in multiple styles and designs usually geared to the Park the shop it is in. They range in price from $17. to $22. for the size I got. At the Mickey Shop in Epcot They came in 2 bigger sizes.

AS to a Discription well,they are wedge \_/ shaped,with 2 short handles ^that rest on your shoulder,and zip \--------/closed in the top.

http://ajzhunny4life.tripod.com//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/mickeypurse.gif

I second your tip on carrying a couple of spare disposable cameras.

It never fails that you will run out of film just when you want to take a picture and there's no time to load more.

Also, we felt more comfortable handing a disposable camera to a CM or another willing guest to take a group picture for us.

Thanks for all the great tips!! Not that I have my air and resort reservations I'm really starting to think about the actual trip! THANKS!!!!

Shari:cool:

Great tips! We are leaving in 11 days to stay at the BC. Always looking for last minute tips. I never thought of a water resistant camera bag. Looks like I still have some more shopping to do before my trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter