The best WDW restaurants for foodies and theming

Most Disney food is somewhere between mediocre and terrible. There isn't a single restaurant on property that I would visit regularly if it were in my hometown. The places with the best food and the places with the best theming are almost always different. That reality makes it almost impossible to recommend restaurants the excel at both.

There are a few spots I enjoy for their food: While not nearly as good as its cousin in Chicago, Frontera Grill, Frontera Cocina is a decent introduction to Rick Bayless' cooking. I've also had positive experiences at Morimoto Asia, but to enjoy it one really has to order items beyond what's available at his or her local Chinese takeout joint.

Outside of Disney Springs, Jiko and Sanaa are both decent. So is Bluezoo at the Dolphin. Other than those few, I wouldn't expect much.

This may mean you might want to value theming above all. In that case, stick with reliable favorites like 50's Prime Time Cafe, Skipper Canteen and 'Ohana. All are fun with food that's edible. I can't even say that much about, say, Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater.

Victoria and Albert's is a place I'd recommend for an over the top, insanely delicious experience, and not only by WDW standards.

California Grill is solid and we've had some really wonderful meals there, both with and without kids. And the theming? Well, it's in the Contemporary ...

We tried Flying Fish after its makeover - and it's even better than before the makeover. The 30% discount didn't hurt either.

These are probably my favorites as far as food + theming, as an adult.

We are trying Tiffins on our next trip.

Boma and Sanaa we love enough that we actually considered AKV as a home resort for a hot minute.

Artist Point was lovely and peaceful. And the kids' grilled salmon was as good as the adult entree.

Now there are several other restaurants we'll visit because they are so integral to our WDW experience now (meaning, our kids love them too):

• CRT. It's Cinderella's Castle. I've had eh meals there, and other times the food has been surprisingly decent.
  • Akershus. I actually like the fish there, as well as the salads/cold buffet.
  • Tutto Gusto wine cave. We stumbled on it one time when we had no ADR and had a delightful meal. Did some wine and cheese tastings and also some pastas.
  • BOG dinner. The food is variable. Sometimes it's decent; other times it's too salty. But we love the interaction with the Beast. I have no desire to try it as a QS.
  • 1900 Park Fare. Different characters and decent healthy choices whether for breakfast or dinner.
  • Tusker House. Boma-like food, and characters.
  • Crystal Palace on a pre-park open breakfast.
  • Skipper's Canteen - theming is good; food is quite good except the bubble tea is too sweet.

I remember enjoying Citricos and Narcoossee's, and I remember both as being quite good, but neither was super-memorable. I would try them again, but wouldn't go out of my way to do so. Next time we are staying at VGF.

The way you've asked your question - you're likely get a list of favorite restaurants without much explanations.

So let me start here - best food is not necessarily indicative of best theming, and vice-versa.

For instance, in no uncertain terms, I think the food at Sci-Fi Dine-In sucks. And not only do I drive a convertible in real life, there happens to be a drive-in theater in my home town that we enjoy regularly. But I love going to Sci-Fi - because I simply find the theming too impressive. Beauty (theming) is in the eye of the beholder.

Also, in real life, I am a foodie with a pedigree of having lived a storied life enjoying Michelin-starred restaurants in (mostly) New York City, San Francisco, New Orleans, and Europe, as well as, I managed high-end restaurants that would be familiar to just about anyone who has ever visited NYC. Now, just because a person has been to fancy restaurants does not mean they truly know about food. For instance - my friend insisted he was taking me to the BEST Chinese restaurant ever....as he drowned everything he ate in hot mustard and duck sauce - I never took food advice from him again.

Best food at Disney (that is not Victoria & Albert) is served at Swan & Dolphin Signatures - best seafood (BlueZoo), steaks (Shula's), and Italian (Il Mulino). Capa at Four Seasons is also excellent. The Disney-run Signatures serve the best of nothing, but they do offer some great theming; non-Signatures can be fun too. Nothing in Disney Springs, said, "Wow," to us last month...but the ambiance atop Paddlefish made those oysters taste pretty darn good (with a depressing green tomato beneath the crab cake).

Best theming is in the eye of the beholder. CA Grill has no real theming, but it offers an unparalleled view of the Magic Kingdom. And despite the fact that we stay at Contemporary (Bay Lake Tower next door, really) with a view of the Magic Kingdom from our room, we eat here every vacation. However, other than maybe recommending their brunch, the place is too hit-or-miss when it comes to their food for me to make a recommendation because of their food. In other words, I would not go out of my way for CA Grill because of their food, but if you could only dine at one place without going into a Park, this is the place I'd be recommending - because of the view.

Sanaa is likely my favorite themed place - because the food is pretty good AND you can enjoy the animals on the Savannah (during a daylight meal)....and it's inside the most impressively themed resort.

Coral Reef is very cool - because the room is amazing....but there are people on the Dis'Board whom I do respect for their food knowledge - folks who find the food at Coral Reef to be the polar-opposite of my favorable experiences.

50's Prime Time is very cool too - but only if you ever experienced black & white TV's (with knobs), formica tables, etc. The theming is lost on most children.

Similarly, Brown Derby is from an era in Hollywood that no longer exists...with the most popular dish being a salad.

Cinderella's Castle is visually amazing, but I insist the food only tastes amazing after Jasmine visits our table.:rolleyes1

For the price of admission - Hoop Dee Doo Revue is an amazingly fun time...but they serve cold food (that is kinda' intended to be served hot) - and yet, worth the price of admission (if you can find the place).

It rains inside the Rainforest Cafe.

You can feel the claps of thunder if dining in the West Wing of Beast Castle (and meet The Beast only at dinner) - another of my favorites.

You may be an American history buff, so Liberty Tree Tavern costumes could make you smile.

My child has sorta' outgrown character meals, but I melt every time I hug Goofy at Cape May or Tusker House - so it's not about the food here either.

Everyone who is going to offer you advice has their favorites....and there would be others who will suggest that these same places were the place(s) where they had their worst experiences.

I loved your analysis, and love your signature too. Will use it as a guide to plan more restaurants to try!

Everyone who is going to offer you advice has their favorites....and there would be others who will suggest that these same places were the place(s) where they had their worst experiences.
Thanks for this reminder. I've been reading too many reviews of the TS restaurants I've booked for our kids' and my husband's first trip in May (I got to go as a child a few times), and I've been second guessing my choices lately. I wish some of the restaurants were more consistent. That is what is bugging me the most, but I know no matter what, it will be a shared experience and give us some great memories together. If we do catch a restaurant on their worst day, it'll be a funny story to tell eventually!

We only visit five TS eateries at WDW when we go there for an actual meal.
1) We prefer
. . . fine food
. . . excellent, top notch service
. . . innovative dishes with flair and quality
. . . overall great value
. . . relaxed and soothing dining atmosphere
. . . behaved and somewhat quiet patrons
2) The only sit-down restaurants we routinely visit,
. . . Sanaa - Animal Kingdom Villas Resort (one of my personal favs)
. . . Artist Point - Wilderness Lodge Resort
. . . Citricos - Grand Floridian Resort
. . . Shula's Steakhouse - Dolphin Resort (no DDP)
. . . Il Mulino - Swan Resort (no DDP)
3) Our (nearby) off-site Recommendations:
. . . Bull & Bear - Waldorf Astoria Bonnet Creek - Fine Dining
. . . Café D'Antonio - Celebration - Casual Italian
. . . Columbia - Celebration - Casual Spanish/Cuban
. . . Fish Bones - Hwy192 - Seafood
. . . Venetian Room - Caribe Royale Hotel - Fine Dining
. . . The Hotel Tea Room - Davenport, FL - Casual - Friday Steak-Fry, Afternoon Tea
NOTE1: The only time we visit other TS eateries is to renew our ratings for the eatery(ies). And, when we do these, we have "sampler" dishes (whether free or paid) so we can try several appys/entrées without pigging-out or having major weight gains.
NOTE2: Now, for a real treat, go to The Hotel Tea Room in Davenport, Florida on a Friday evening. It is run by a real, true "Little Old Lady" (Miss Mae), who refuses to charge big bucks! They have a Rib-Eye or New York Strip steak dinner that tops Ruth's Chris' or Shula's. The steak covers the entire plate. These are the only things on the menu for Friday nights. They get primals and do their own cutting of the steak. It is an OLD hotel with a small dining room. Has an award winning Pastry Chef from TV and he has Best-In-Show awards for pies, pastries, and cakes !!! Our total bill for the wife and I (salad, 1½"-thick-after-cooking, dessert, and taxes) was only $66.00. (You can split the steak and pay less than $35 total for two people.)
They have a nice Afternoon Tea. Breakfast is literally all you can eat for $7.00, tax included. Yep, seven bucks ... no typo! Order your eggs, bacon, pancakes (etc). After, you are asked if you want more of any of the items. NO EXTRA CHARGE. The place is about 25-min from WDW, but really worth the wait. Check them out on Facebook or Internet (http://www.hoteltearoom.com/). Ressies required for Friday night steak fry (863-421-0827) and most Afternoon Teas. They do not serve alcohol, but you can BYOB for wine or spirits.

thank you for this awesome feedback. We go down in June and stay on property and then again in December and will stay off property for Christmas. The off site recommendations will work for our Christmas choices. Thanks again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!