The Boat House...a mixed bag and we THINK we know why...

DLFendel

Earning My Ears
We hit town after a long drive down from our home in Tennessee and were able to get a res at The Boat House at Disney Springs and try this place we were so curious about. The result was a mixed bag and here's our analysis:

First, the place itself is truly beautiful with all the boat models and the "regatta room" section we were seated in at the back is even more clubby with the wood paneling decor. Our service was first rate from front desk to finale--no problems there at all.

We ordered appetizers and drinks and were VERY happy--the carpaccio (which I got because I'm a fan and saw the photo on the website) was just plain superb in every way--tender beef, nice caper quotient, fresh olive oil, cheese, arugula--the classic done proud with little toasts to help it along. The lump crab with half an avocado in a tangy tarragon remoulade was absolutely fresh and delicious--and between that and our drinks we were EAGER for the mains to arrive when....

...well, they were a bust. We ordered from the nightly specials--she the scallops and I the black grouper with a wonderful sauce...but both of the seafood cores of these dishes were WAY overcooked and dry--an unforgivable sin with seafood which, as my late friend and noted chef beyond his comedic talents Danny Kaye once told me a Chinese chef told him, "seafood should be warmed, not cooked." HERE is why I think this happened and a word to the wise about a big, bustling, high-capacity, many-tables-turned restaurant like this 450-seater at a theme park venue.......LACK OF PRACTICE: The starters (and desserts too, to come) they do all the time. The specials? Notsomuch. And while an exec creates them, clearly the folks here are not SUPERVISING the line cooks enough to make sure they arrive just right for the diners. IF we go back (and we still loved the rest of it) we'd perhaps make a dinner OF appetizers of various kinds and/or try some regular menu items for entrees--but never again try the "specials" since sadly Boat House proved to us they can't do either of the two we ordered right in the most basic of ways.

Anyhow, bummed out by that we moved on to dessert. Her blueberry cheesecake was good, my really amazingly well-done strawberry shortcake was better because the shortcake biscuit was just right--not overly sweet and NOT a soda biscuit but the perfect shortcake version we all remember from childhood IF mom or grandma could cook.

SO...again, a mixed bag experience--great service, drinks, starters, and finales but in the middle? A crime what they did to the scallops and fish. Damn shame. So it goes.

When we ate there our only complaints were the noise (and I do mean noise) and while everyone else enjoyed their entrees when I order a ribeye rare I do not think that the way I order a steak should be up to interpretation. This has happened to us at a variety of Disney restaurants. They really think when I order rare I mean medium rare.

Did you request them to redo this entree.

I’m not sure why we are willing to accept subpar food at Disney. Personally I’ve never had a bad meal at this place but if I did I wouldn’t hesitate to send it back.

Of course I tried that at Le Cellier and it came back even worse so there is a risk. If the kitchen doesn’t know how to cook at all you’re never going to get get food out of it however

Did you request them to redo this entree.

I’m not sure why we are willing to accept subpar food at Disney. Personally I’ve never had a bad meal at this place but if I did I wouldn’t hesitate to send it back.

Of course I tried that at Le Cellier and it came back even worse so there is a risk. If the kitchen doesn’t know how to cook at all you’re never going to get get food out of it however

OC Commuter....In another life I was a food/wine/spirits writer/editor/cookbook ghostwriter and the West Coast Correspondent for the James Beard Newsletter...and I ALWAYS counsel EVERYone who has bad stuff to complain and return it. In this ONE instance because we had driven 8 hours and were dead, the wait for a re-do seemed more onorous than just moving on to dessert.

Great review and interesting hypothesis. We love Boathouse but almost always sit out at dockside bar and do appetizers. I’d love to hear any thoughts on your other meals.

Edited to add - saw your post on Flying Fish. Another favorite, totally agree!

Last edited:
I haven’t eaten at Boathouse yet, but in perusing the menu I always find many appetizers or buckets (like the clam strips) that appeal to me more than the entrees. Sounds like I won’t be missing out if I go with those items and drinks. The carpaccio is on the list, one of my favorite dishes.

as my late friend and noted chef beyond his comedic talents Danny Kaye once told me a Chinese chef told him, "seafood should be warmed, not cooked."

I adore Danny Kaye and was fascinated with his films as a child, especially Hans Christian Andersen and Wonder Man. What a great person to have known.

I haven’t eaten at Boathouse yet, but in perusing the menu I always find many appetizers or buckets (like the clam strips) that appeal to me more than the entrees. Sounds like I won’t be missing out if I go with those items and drinks. The carpaccio is on the list, one of my favorite dishes.

I adore Danny Kaye and was fascinated with his films as a child, especially Hans Christian Andersen and Wonder Man. What a great person to have known.

He was all you might expect in person...a down-to-earth, warm, lovely man. I was ghostwriting cookbooks with a friend who was his friend and got to know him a bit. His house in Beverly Hills had a complete Chinese kitchen built into the enclosed patio in addition to the regular one, complete with a large round table with a lazy susan and a 4-wok restaurant-sized stove. When he cooked Chinese, you'd be there for HOURS as he did each dish and you ate it. I remember well a duck he did which, after poaching in a flavorful broth and steaming to shrink the skin and render the fat, he crisped in hot oil by dipping it in water chestnut flour! Amazing. We also used to go to the Farmer's Market and get meat and then go up to Walter O'Malley's box at Dodger Stadium and cook for them. Great times! One of the truly wonderful "perks" of my food writing career.

We had a mixed experience when we dined there. All our food was awful, just cooked poorly, tasted bad, nothing was good. But we had the best service I've ever had a restaurant. My water was refilled immediately and for my birthday they let me pick any dessert I wanted off the menu for free. But I'll probably never go back since the food didn't actually taste good.

I just had one of the baskets and a cocktail, but as seafood baskets go, it was top notch. Awesome fries. I like that there is a wide price range of items making the place a bit more approachable. Service was good, but as another person pointed out, it was really quite loud. If it weren't so terribly hot when I was there I would have asked to be seated outside.

He was all you might expect in person...a down-to-earth, warm, lovely man. I was ghostwriting cookbooks with a friend who was his friend and got to know him a bit. His house in Beverly Hills had a complete Chinese kitchen built into the enclosed patio in addition to the regular one, complete with a large round table with a lazy susan and a 4-wok restaurant-sized stove. When he cooked Chinese, you'd be there for HOURS as he did each dish and you ate it. I remember well a duck he did which, after poaching in a flavorful broth and steaming to shrink the skin and render the fat, he crisped in hot oil by dipping it in water chestnut flour! Amazing. We also used to go to the Farmer's Market and get meat and then go up to Walter O'Malley's box at Dodger Stadium and cook for them. Great times! One of the truly wonderful "perks" of my food writing career.
What an ingenious idea! The biggest fail of the majority of duck dishes is immortalizing the skin in the rubber hall of fame. An earlier post resonated, as well. My wife and I often often stick to the appetizers menu. As she puts it, "those menus are more adventurous." I believe your theory firmly fits into her commentary: try something a bit more daring, perfect it, and then it's more easily reproduced and tasty. For example, the carpaccio you had is tremendous--I have it whenever we go there, and it's spot on every time. She goes with another app or even a salad (which they do well, too), and we top it off with a Brut which makes the dishes sing. Well, now you've gone and done it--made me ravenous for the carpaccio!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter