The Broadway show thread where we discuss all things Broadway

What are some of your unforgettable Broadway and Broadway-adjacent experiences? Some of mine:

• I saw Martin McDonagh's The Beauty Queen of Leenane the day after it won Tonys for Best Play, Lead Actress, Featured Actor, Featured Actress, and Direction.
  • Seeing the Original Cast productions of Hamilton, Wicked, The Light in the Piazza, The Book of Mormon, and Hairspray, among many others, but those stick out.
    • Seeing some legends (Chita Rivera, Angela Lansbury, Joel Grey, Patti LuPone) in shows over the years.
  • Meeting, and talking to for a good while, Stephen Sondheim in the Denver Airport between flights when we were both traveling to the Telluride Film Festival.
So, so many! I saw the original cast of Hamilton several times (and once made Lin-Manuel Miranda laugh at the stage door…), including at Jonathan Groff’s last performance. He made Leslie Odom Jr. break character.😉

Cynthia Erivo in the Color Purple was a straight-up boss. Andrew Garfield in Angels in America. Wow. The original cast of Hadestown, and Great Comet before the rails went off… I’ve seen three Avengers on stage (and watched Danny Devito crack one of them up).

Oh! And Kelly O’Hara came to a tiny rural Pennsylvania production of Joseph that my daughter was in (not too see my daughter, obviously, but still!).

Seeing James Monroe Iglehart as the Genie in Aladdin. Seeing Billy Porter in Kinky Boots. And any of the tours from Broadway Up Close,,,they are all great! https://www.broadwayupclose.com/. Tim and his team have so much to share about the history of Broadway. My last tour, the guide is the dance captain for Merrily.
I was lucky enough to also see James Monroe Iglehart as Genie, and Billy Porter as Lola on the tour (he did the Pittsburgh stop). What amazing talents!

When it's done right, it's hard to understand why this show has such a problematic history. The score is just a shade under top tier Sondheim.
Completely agree. I’ve never seen any iteration of it before, and I just can’t fathom it as a flop. I was so moved.

Completely agree. I’ve never seen any iteration of it before, and I just can’t fathom it as a flop. I was so moved.
I'd seen several productions, and while the music is always great, the scenes sometimes just don't transition well from one to the other.

By top tier Sondheim, it's little things that you just keep learning the more you listen to it. Did you realize the only music of Frank's we ever hear in the show is the exact same melody, in different signatures? Think about it: The Hills of Tomorrow (in the original, at the graduation ceremony at the beginning), Good Thing Going, "Who wants to live in New York", in Opening Doors, "There not a tune you can hum (in It's a Hit), etc. SAME MUSIC! Mind blown.

We saw Jessie Mueller play Mary in Merrily in a tiny non-professional theatre in Highland Park, IL, right before she skyrocketed to fame in Beautiful.

I saw the Guys & Dolls on Broadway in the early-90s with Nathan Lane, Faith Prince, Peter Gallagher, J.K. Simmons, et. al. What an energetic revival!

Also, Alfred Molina and Eddie Redmayne in Red.

I'd seen several productions, and while the music is always great, the scenes sometimes just don't transition well from one to the other.

By top tier Sondheim, it's little things that you just keep learning the more you listen to it. Did you realize the only music of Frank's we ever hear in the show is the exact same melody, in different signatures? Think about it: The Hills of Tomorrow (in the original, at the graduation ceremony at the beginning), Good Thing Going, "Who wants to live in New York", in Opening Doors, "There not a tune you can hum (in It's a Hit), etc. SAME MUSIC! Mind blown.

We saw Jessie Mueller play Mary in Merrily in a tiny non-professional theatre in Highland Park, IL, right before she skyrocketed to fame in Beautiful.

I saw the Guys & Dolls on Broadway in the early-90s with Nathan Lane, Faith Prince, Peter Gallagher, J.K. Simmons, et. al. What an energetic revival!

Also, Alfred Molina and Eddie Redmayne in Red.
I did notice the carry through of the melody. It’s brilliant. The first time I saw Merrily, I also saw Sweeney (which I’d seen before) and Here We Are (which I obviously hadn’t). Quite the Sondheim weekend! (But also Parade and Gutenberg to make things thoroughly eclectic.)

I’d love a Time Machine to see that Guys and Dolls revival!

I was lucky to live in NYC for a bit and I saw many fantastic performances but two that will always stick with me: William H Macy and Dennis Franz in American Buffalo and Gary Sinise in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's nest.

We went into the city Saturday night to see Sweeney Todd. We had dinner at "Gayle's Broadway Rose". Definitely recommend to my Broadway loving friends.

The highlight of the night...Patti Lupone was in the audience of Sweeney Todd! She was right in front of us. Broadway royalty for sure.

Hey all! Can anyone tell me when I might be able to purchase tickets for Hamilton in NYC for a date in October?

The calendar isn’t showing anything past July. Not sure if there’s a specific time when fall dates are released. And also assuming it will still be on Broadway this fall…🤷🏻‍♀️

Thanks in advance!
Kristen

Hey all! Can anyone tell me when I might be able to purchase tickets for Hamilton in NYC for a date in October?

The calendar isn’t showing anything past July. Not sure if there’s a specific time when fall dates are released. And also assuming it will still be on Broadway this fall…🤷🏻‍♀️

Thanks in advance!
Kristen
Just got an email this morning, they have released tickets through September 1. So looks like you will have to wait a little longer for October.

Hey, everyone! I can now say that I finally got to see Frozen on stage. I took the family yesterday to Providence, R.I. for the national tour and it did not disappoint. I'm sure the national tour is different in parts from the Broadway version, but its still a good production. We saw the matinee show and knew there would be lots of kids there all dressed up, and I was not disappointed. They all looked cute dressed up. I expected there to be noise, some talking and singing from the kids, but the amount people getting up and walking out during the production was, quite frankly, annoying. I understand they're kids, who can't hold "it" like adults, but seriously. Next time I'll just bite the bullet and see a night show.

Last edited:
What are my chances of getting two tickets to Kimberly Akimbo, Brooklyn Laundry, Merrily We Roll Along, or Appropriate on Tuesday, April 9, at TKTS? Those are the four that look most appealing to me. Maybe Doubt too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter