The Broadway show thread where we discuss all things Broadway

I'm really surprised this is back so soon. We just saw it with Celia Keenan Bolger & Cherry Jones, who were wonderful, and Zachary Quinto, who I did NOT like in the part.

I do feel like some shows come back every 3-5 years.... this is just one of those shows. I didn't see it last time, and love Sally Field so I'm excited!

Sidenote- not sure if we've discussed this in this thread before, but how do you fellow Jersey theatergoers feel about the upcoming PMP season?

Got home from Come From Away not too long ago. I just absolutely love this show. I laughed, I cried, I learned a tiny bit more about what happened outside of the terorrist attacks on 9/11. I think they handled the material in the most honest human way possible and it shows. Just phenominal everyone involved should be so proud. You could also feel the energy as you hear about those days in a room full of NYers.

Sidenote- not sure if we've discussed this in this thread before, but how do you fellow Jersey theatergoers feel about the upcoming PMP season?

I can't decide! I'm torn.... in debating how many shows to get for next season one day I want all 5, next day I'm like maybe 3....

I'm excited for Honeymooners, The Sting, The Outsiders and I always love Annie. Can't tell if I'm excited for Half Time or not.

I can't decide! I'm torn.... in debating how many shows to get for next season one day I want all 5, next day I'm like maybe 3....

I'm excited for Honeymooners, The Sting, The Outsiders and I always love Annie. Can't tell if I'm excited for Half Time or not.

Same here. I'm pretty torn up about it. DM and I want to see Annie and The Honeymooners, and The Sting looks good too, but Outsider and Half Time don't strike me. I was so upset when I missed The Producers, though!

Same here. I'm pretty torn up about it. DM and I want to see Annie and The Honeymooners, and The Sting looks good too, but Outsider and Half Time don't strike me. I was so upset when I missed The Producers, though!

If I was going to do 3 instead of 5 I would skip Half Time and the Oustiders. I'm just not sure what to do.... I do always get bummed if a cast is announced and I like someone and don't have tickets, or it moves to broadway and I didn't see it....I'm leaning towards 3 I think...

VERY disappoint in next season's PMP season. If I never see "Annie" again, it will be too soon. (except I heard about a possible casting choice that would make me at least be able to sit through it. LOL) The rest is eh to me. I'm all for "new" productions, but give me a few standards, too, for the $$$ we are paying for our 2nd row center orchestra seats!

The lead singer of one of DD's fav bands (Panic at the Disco) will be doing Kinky Boots over the summer. We had to immediately buy tickets.

We saw Charlie and the Chocolate Factory its 3rd night of previews. It was fine but not much in the way of sets...My DD liked it...

I was in NYC this past weekend with my DD's HS theater class. We saw Come From Away (amazing), Natasha, Pierre, and the Great Comet of 1812 (I'm still confused) and School of Rock.

The Great Comet story itself was easy to follow but most of us parents were confused by the futuristic elements. Was there a purpose behind it I was missing (I may just be too old to appreciate the artistry of it)?

Last edited:
Saw Bandstand yesterday! Didn't have class, so my friend and I decided to get up early and take the 3 midtown for a little rush.

After seeing it at Paper Mill, they did exactly what I expected them to do for Broadway-- gutted and rewrote the entire opening and finale. Still left a lot to be desired, but got to meet Corey, Beth, and Laura at stage door and they were all peaches.

Hello Dolly was very good. Bette Midler seemed to be having the time of her life up there on the stage. I usually think of her first as a singer, but she is a comedic genius ala Lucille Ball. David Hyde Pierce was outstanding. I think in my mind I had unfairly pigeonholed him as Niles in Frasier. And the ensemble was great, particularly the waiters in the dance number The Waiters Gallop. An old fashioned, classic, fun show!

I think it's "Waiters' Gavotte", but maybe it has been changed for this revival.

I googled it and I've seen several titles and spellings. On the wiki list of musical numbers from the 1964 original staging it says Waiters' Gallop.

(Glad you enjoyed the show. The cast recording which comes out in May is available for preorder on Amazon!)

Last edited:
I was in NYC this past weekend with my DD's HS theater class. We saw Come From Away (amazing), Natasha, Pierre, and the Great Comet of 1812 (I'm still confused) and School of Rock.

The Great Comet story itself was easy to follow but most of us parents were confused by the futuristic elements. Was there a purpose behind it I was missing (I may just be too old to appreciate the artistry of it)?

What futuristic do you mean? I imagine you are talking about the club scene? That was just a funny play on words that lets them use a different music style for the song. Club of course in Russia in 1911/1912 was a dinner club but most people seeing theater would equate club with a dance club now so they just did a play on words.

Well, if that's what it was, it's definitely been changed. Looking at the Playbill right now. "The Waiters' Gallop". Whatever you call it, it was incredible. Now off to the dictionary to see what "gavotte" means. I'm counting it as my "you learn something new everyday" thing, so thanks.:-)

Aw, did you guy's see that Andy Karl (of "Groundhog Day") tore his ACL right before opening night? He's ok, and no surgery forecasted so far, thank heavens. I must admit to selfishly being a bit bummed--my NY trip is in 2 weeks and we're seeing Groundhog Day...I was really excited to see Karl and all the crazy choreography.

Aw, did you guy's see that Andy Karl (of "Groundhog Day") tore his ACL right before opening night? He's ok, and no surgery forecasted so far, thank heavens. I must admit to selfishly being a bit bummed--my NY trip is in 2 weeks and we're seeing Groundhog Day...I was really excited to see Karl and all the crazy choreography.

Yep pretty much wasn't allowed to talk about it as the fiance is an invester in the show. He went on tonight which is good. At least he is eligible for the Tony since he won the Olivier Award. Of corse tons of awards in London doesn't equate to success here (Enron I'm looking at you) but I am hopefule the American reviews will be positive.

My sister, brother-in-law and 2 nieces saw Waitress with Sara Bareilles last week - they loved it!

I need to find a full time job so I can afford tickets to Broadway shows again. I miss going to Broadway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!