The Broadway show thread where we discuss all things Broadway

Caught Amelie last night and War Paint this afternoon.

Amelie was very cute, had some great moments, but the show didn't feel french enough. I also thought it could have been a little more whimsical and magical - especially in the second half. Phillipa was wonderful.

I really enjoyed War Paint - especially the performances of the two leading ladies. The score was pleasant enough in context but I wish it had been a little more memorable.

I've had to watch my spending a bit after coming back from a WONDERFUL Easter trip to WDW, but I have managed to see Pacific Overtures and Groundhog Day.

It was my first time seeing PO, and I know things were cut to make it run 90 minutes, but I really liked it. I've found the music (especially the opening number) keeps popping into my head. Cast is excellent - although the direction is a little messy at times.

Saw Groundhog last Thursday and although it was a little slow getting started, I ended up absolutely loving it. They did have to stop for a few minutes in act two, due to some technical issues with the set, but it was fixed very quickly. Glad to see it got some recognition with the TONY nominations yesterday!

Glad you liked Groundhog day! From my understanding the 1st act is mostly slow and gratting because they want you to want out of there as much as Phil. I felt the same way act 1 was slow and then bam act 2 gets you going and really turns the show around.

I saw Anastasia with my daughter on 4/26. We really liked it! The costumes were just beautiful. It is now my dd's (13) favorite show bumping Matilda. She wants to see Dear Evan Hansen next which might be challenging now with all of it's Tony nominations!

I plan on grabbing some tickets at the TKTS booth next time I'm in NYC (possibly Memorial Day weekend, TBD). Any recommendations? I'm dying to see Anastasia or Great Comet but I doubt those tickets will be available.

I plan on grabbing some tickets at the TKTS booth next time I'm in NYC (possibly Memorial Day weekend, TBD). Any recommendations? I'm dying to see Anastasia or Great Comet but I doubt those tickets will be available.

I have seen the Great Comet at the TKTS booth quite often, so you might be able to snatch tickets there. Granted, this was before the Tony noms came out. Good luck and have fun.

Great Comet will be there. It has a bunch of Tony noms but is so avante garde that it doesn't sell as well. It will also depend on if Josh Groban is in or if he has left by that point. Not sure how Anastasia is doing money wise so it may or may not be on the board.

Schmackary's announced on their twitter today that they would be revealing the full Broadway Bakes lineup on Friday-- anyone planning on going this year?

My epic Broadway trip was last week and it was fantastic. My rough thoughts are below, if anyone cares--I saw Dear Evan Hansen, War Paint, Hamilton, Anastasia, Amelie, and Groundhog Day.

Wed May 3rd matinee: Dear Evan Hansen. Ben Platt is fantastic! I saw him in this show at Arena Stage in Washington DC, and was excited to see him again. He's certainly giving an amazing performance--everyone was crying by the end. And Rachel Bay Jones--also fantastic. The changes between DC and Broadway were mostly fairly minor, except for the new opening song. The other changes seemed to be mostly made for clarity--it was much more clear here what was going on when Evan broke his arm. But wow, it's an emotional show that really takes it out of you just to watch it; I can't imagine what it's like to be acting in it and giving 110% as the cast seems to be doing. I found out later that Platt was out for the evening performance, so I was even more glad we caught the matinee and got to see Platt.

Wed May 3rd evening: War Paint. So, I wanted to see this show for Patti and Christine, and because I loved Grey Gardens, which the creative team of War Paint had done. Sadly, the show itself was pretty bland--lots of "I hate her; my makeup is better"; "no, I hate her; MY makeup is better". The one time I thought it really came to life was during the ending scene where Patti and Christine get to interact, rather than act parallel. If only that spark had permeated the rest of the show. It is always a treat to see these two divas on stage though.

Thur May 4th evening: Hamilton!! I bought these tickets last June, almost a year ago and have been anxiously waiting ever since. Unfortunately they were pretty bad seats (like balcony, second or third row from the back), and the two couples in front of us are apparently animals who have never been to the theater and between the talking and the leaning forward in their seat blocking our view, it was a bit distracting. :( But! the show itself was great. Brian D'Arcy James, who originated the role of King George off-Broadway at the Public, was back in as King George for a limited time, and he was AMAZING. I love him anyways, and to see him do King George was great--super super funny. Javier Munoz is great as Hamilton, and I like his singing voice much better than Lin-Manuel Miranda (heresy though that might be :) ). We had an understudy on for Aaron Burr, and he seemed to be....trying too hard? or something in the first act; It just didn't seem to click (which is a shame, cause "Wait For It" is like my favorite Hamilton song). But by "Room Where It Happens" in the second Act, he seemed to have settled into the role a bit better. Overall, fantastic and I want to see it again. The ending nearly made me cry :)

Friday May 5th evening: Anastasia. So, I love the movie, and was excited to see the show, despite the middling reviews. The reviews were right; the story is a bit muddled and could use some clarity/better pacing/better structure. However, Ramin Karimloo is FANTASTIC as the villain--such a lovely voice and super hot, I wanted Anastasia to end up with him rather than Dimitri. :) Actually, all the actors were fantastic in their roles. The new songs added aren't all that memorable--the movie songs are the clear standouts but even middling Ahrens & Flaherty is still pretty good. Costumes are lovely and they deserved their Tony nod for the costumes. The sets/scenery makes extensive use of screens, which isn't my favorite but works. "Once Upon a December" projects the dancing ghosts on the stage and into the house--there were audible gasps. Gorgeous, and one of my favorite parts. :) If you want to see it, see it sooner rather than later, before it becomes completely overrun by families and little kids. The family in front of us was super distracting. One kid was too young and audibly bored. The middle girl just went too sleep (which admittedly was quiet and not distracting), but the girl sitting next to her mother was old enough to be intruiged but not old enough to understand what was going on, and the Mom narrated pretty much the entire first act. When "Journey to the Past" was being sung, the mom was more excited than the daughter and kept exclaiming and talking to the little girl to get her more excited. SO FRUSTRATING. Luckily the mom quieted down when I politely asked her at intermission.

Saturday May 6th matinee: Amelie. I'll be honest, I'm not a huge fan of the movie; I mostly wanted to see this for Philippa Soo. She was good, but I liked young Amelie better, actually. The show is cute and whimsical and funny, but lacks a real...purpose? Story? Like, you're not quite sure what story is being told or why we're there watching it. It's muddled, and at 1 hour 45 min without an intermission, too long. Either fix the structure and the story and expand it to a full 2h30m with intermission, or cut out some of the fat to make it 1h20m or so without an intermission. Cute songs, if not super memorable--the one song I remember was by a minor character about figs. I liked that one a lot though! :)

Saturday May 6th evening: Groundhog Day. Ok, I loved this show. The songs do kind of blend together, but I've already been listening to the cast recording on repeat since we got home ("Playing Nancy", the minor character's song, is one of my favorites). Andy Karl--wow. He's great in the role, especially when you factor in his leg injury (which he played up for laughs at appropriate moments). When we saw it there were no technical issues with the set or anything; it was complex but very effective. Hopefully they continue to get all the kinks worked out so everyone can see it without the issues. Overall though, the show was super funny yet heartfelt. Definitely a rave in my book. Also, Andy Karl is super hot. :)

Heading up to NYC with a group of 9 one of the last weekends in June to a matinee and an evening show -- Waitress and Aladdin. Looking for recommendations for dinner in between. Carmine's is unavailable and a few locations -- Becco, Bar Americain (Bobby Flay) -- don't seem to take reservations until a month out. Anyone have any favorite places they go to that would be okay for a group our size? We've done Trattoria Tri Colore (which is hugely underrated considering the prices of places around Times Square), Junior's, Marseille (Hell's Kitchen), Virgil's, and Ellen's Stardust Diner, and although none of those are particularly upscale we're also willing to "splurge" slightly -- $35-$45 entree price point -- this time around. Just wondering if anyone has any favorites I can check out.

We saw Come From Away Saturday night. It was phenomenal. I wasn't sure how I would like it, being a NYer and 9/11 being so personal for me having been at the wtc that day and losing two people I knew. It really showed the beautiful side to that day. I've seen a lot of shows and I've never heard such loud applause or people jumping to their feet as fast as they did when it ended.

We are going to Alladin 4th of July weekend. I can get tickets in the last row in the Orchestra section. I get severe Claustrophobic, if I feel like I cannot get out, so I need to be in an aisle seat or in a last row. Is there an overhang of the balcony that would block some of our view?

We are going to Alladin 4th of July weekend. I can get tickets in the last row in the Orchestra section. I get severe Claustrophobic, if I feel like I cannot get out, so I need to be in an aisle seat or in a last row. Is there an overhang of the balcony that would block some of our view?

Others may be able to help you more with personal experience, but I use these two sites to help me figure out seating locations:

http://www.entertainment-link.com/broadway-theaters.asp
http://aviewfrommyseat.com

Also, I just bought tickets for Aladdin a week ago and if I remember correctly, Ticketmaster has a "view from this seat" option that may be helpful as well.

Others may be able to help you more with personal experience, but I use these two sites to help me figure out seating locations:

http://www.entertainment-link.com/broadway-theaters.asp
http://aviewfrommyseat.com

Also, I just bought tickets for Aladdin a week ago and if I remember correctly, Ticketmaster has a "view from this seat" option that may be helpful as well.
Yes, I did see the view when I was looking, and it did not seem like there was an over hang. We just want to make sure. I looked closer and it shows the over hang would be where I want tickets. Thanks for the help. For the same price I moved closer to the stage, but split our tickets up to 4 in the row and 2 in the row. As long as I can sit on the outside aisle, I will be fine.

Last edited:
Heading up to NYC with a group of 9 one of the last weekends in June to a matinee and an evening show -- Waitress and Aladdin. Looking for recommendations for dinner in between. Carmine's is unavailable and a few locations -- Becco, Bar Americain (Bobby Flay) -- don't seem to take reservations until a month out. Anyone have any favorite places they go to that would be okay for a group our size? We've done Trattoria Tri Colore (which is hugely underrated considering the prices of places around Times Square), Junior's, Marseille (Hell's Kitchen), Virgil's, and Ellen's Stardust Diner, and although none of those are particularly upscale we're also willing to "splurge" slightly -- $35-$45 entree price point -- this time around. Just wondering if anyone has any favorites I can check out.
Bond 45 is a pretty place - very midtown Manhattan. (If you watched SMASH, they had a few shots of the front of the restaurant. lol) Sardi's is also a treat to experience the "Broadway" life.

https://www.tonysnyc.com/ This is our fav. It's family style Italian. 2 locations, so make sure you get the Times Square. The prices are reasonable.

Glad you liked Groundhog day! From my understanding the 1st act is mostly slow and gratting because they want you to want out of there as much as Phil. I felt the same way act 1 was slow and then bam act 2 gets you going and really turns the show around.

I didn't care for Groundhog Day at all, but I do agree that the second act is way more engaging.

We saw Come From Away Saturday night. It was phenomenal. I wasn't sure how I would like it, being a NYer and 9/11 being so personal for me having been at the wtc that day and losing two people I knew. It really showed the beautiful side to that day. I've seen a lot of shows and I've never heard such loud applause or people jumping to their feet as fast as they did when it ended.

I saw it for the second time yesterday. It's just a wonderful little show. The show COMPLETELY earns its immediate standing ovation, but I think part of the reason people jump up so fast is that they are denied the opportunity to applaud through the show (which is necessary, I think, because the show is so seamless). Particularly after "Me and the Sky" you just really want to clap and they don't let you! ;) By the time curtain call comes around, you have all this pent up accolade that needs released.

I caught Bandstand yesterday. And unfortunately it IS just as bad as people have said. It's a shame because I think there is a good, even great story in there and both of the leads have really great voices. The music is completely un-memorable, and I might even go so far as to add that it's not even good. The people around me seemed to enjoy it, so maybe it will find an audience. Hopefully Laura and Corey will find a show that is worthy of their talents!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter