The Broadway show thread where we discuss all things Broadway

Just bought tix for tomorrow. Seeing come from away! Nice way to spend Father’s Day.
Was going to see iceman cometh but I don’t think i can sit for 4 hours even for Denzel!

So far I saw this year I’ve seen 5 shows and have two more to see. We take the train up from Philly to Penn Station (if anyone is interested, Amtrak is $88 round trip! It’s not bad!)

Hamilton; It was good but a little disappointed. Would I see it again? I’m not sure. Maybe if ticket prices weren’t so expensive. - Saw in January

Waitress: I was surprised how good this was! I honestly only purchased tickets because of Katharine McPhee and she was so good! We bought a second set of tickets to see her again! - Saw in April

Anastasia: Second time seeing the show. I love the cast so much! I saw Zach Adkin’s Dimitri this time (saw Derek Klena’s last time) and I liked Zach’s much better. - Saw in May

Frozen: The music is good and I adore Patti Murin and Caissie Levy but overall the show still needs a lot of work. Bringing Sven to life was the highlight for me. Sven and Kristoff were great together. Let It Go and Monster were great. Audience loved those! - Saw in May

Dear Evan Hansen: Second time seeing this one and this time from front row! I’ll always recommend this show over any show. Taylor Trensch was just so amazing. Ugh he killed me especially during the assembly right before You Will Be Found when he sobbing and during So Big / So Small with Rachel Bay Jones. - Saw in May

Next we have Waitress again and Once on this Island. For OOTI I believe our seats are front row in the sand so that should be interesting!
THANK YOU for your review. Seeing Frozen in the beginning of December. Looking forward to spending time with DH twin and wife, getting in the HOliday Spirit, and seeing the Christmas tree in Rock Center. CAN'T WAIT!:cheer2::thumbsup2

So far this year I've seen
Come From Away (for the 2nd time),
Something Rotten (LOVED it. Very funny and great songs),
An American In Paris (well done but not the most compelling of stories),
Annie (don't understand why this is such a beloved musical),
Phantom of the Opera (new version...liked some of it, missed some of what the original production had),
Chicago (loved the movie, hated the stage production).

Soon to be seeing Potted Potter, Wicked (2nd time) and The King & I.

Come From Away (for the 2nd time),
Something Rotten (LOVED it. Very funny and great songs),
An American In Paris (well done but not the most compelling of stories),
Phantom of the Opera (new version...liked some of it, missed some of what the original production had),
Chicago (loved the movie, hated the stage production).

Soon to be seeing Potted Potter, Wicked (2nd time) and The King & I.
Watch what you say about Annie. I LOVE that show. But then again I have been singing it since the age of 3, so it is totally childhood nostalgia for me. I also did the show last year. The music is incredibly hard and beautiful. Also it is usually a gateway show to musicals for children. When I did, there were so many little girls dressed as Annie. It was fantastic!
I have heard the stage production of Chicago is very different from the movie. What all did they change in Phantom? I like the way it was! I am hoping to take my boys next time it shoots around.

Back from Come From Away. Dh ds16 and I all loved it.
Emotional!
I can understand why some would never see it.
I enjoy documentaries and historical fiction. I thought it was done very tastefully. No denying the pain and loss of that day. It gave another perspective.
The actors did a great job playing the different roles.

What all did they change in Phantom? I like the way it was! I am hoping to take my boys next time it shoots around.

New costume designs. New set design, some of which was very clever, but the underground lair wasn't as impressive, the opening of Masquerade has no staircase and the Phantom's throne is gone.

I still enjoyed the show and I'm sure most people seeing it for the first time will think it's great, but I toured with the show back in the early 90s so I'm a bit biased towards that version.

New costume designs. New set design, some of which was very clever, but the underground lair wasn't as impressive, the opening of Masquerade has no staircase and the Phantom's throne is gone.

I still enjoyed the show and I'm sure most people seeing it for the first time will think it's great, but I toured with the show back in the early 90s so I'm a bit biased towards that version.
That is awesome. What did you do with the show? I LOVE the staircase. Masquerade is my least favorite number. The set is what saves it.

Back from Come From Away. Dh ds16 and I all loved it.
Emotional!
I can understand why some would never see it.
I enjoy documentaries and historical fiction. I thought it was done very tastefully. No denying the pain and loss of that day. It gave another perspective.
The actors did a great job playing the different roles.

I sobbed through it, but not because of 911 memories. Because of how the Canadians acted with human kindness.

I would have gone back the same weekend but i didn’t have time.

Mean Girls was great. Great choreography, fun songs.

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child... not so great. It has tons of short scenes and they fade to black between each scene. I found it very distracting. The magic is impressive, but I think that was to be expected. If it weren’t based on a beloved series, I don’t think people would want to see it.

I.

I agree- I really don't like that show at all!

We have tickets to Harry Potter and the Cursed Child in August and I am hoping we win Broadway Lottery for Margaritaville to see again before it closes.

Saw Frozen on Wednesday night. Loved it the set design and lighting effects were amazing. Loved the new numbers that were added. Olaf and Sven were nicely brought to life.

Mean Girls was great. Great choreography, fun songs.

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child... not so great. It has tons of short scenes and they fade to black between each scene. I found it very distracting. The magic is impressive, but I think that was to be expected. If it weren’t based on a beloved series, I don’t think people would want to see it.

It's so interesting how subjective theater is! Granted, I'm a big Harry Potter fan, but I was truly WOWED by Cursed Child & I thought the short scenes/fade to black was perfect. Mean Girls, on the other hand, I found slightly enjoyable but I definitely don't need to run back.

Won the Aladdin lottery. TBH - it was cute, in a sort of high school production way. The set was pretty simple (except for the flying carpet scene which was incredibly amazing), the costumes were nice, the choreography (and execution of it) was underwhelming, but the singing was good. It kind of felt like they were "marking" the steps for some reason. I would have been very upset if I had paid full price for the tickets. The genie, Sultan and his sidekick were definite standouts.
That being said, I'm sure that the average audience member and kids will probably enjoy it for what it is.

Won the Aladdin lottery. TBH - it was cute, in a sort of high school production way. The set was pretty simple (except for the flying carpet scene which was incredibly amazing), the costumes were nice, the choreography (and execution of it) was underwhelming, but the singing was good. It kind of felt like they were "marking" the steps for some reason. I would have been very upset if I had paid full price for the tickets. The genie, Sultan and his sidekick were definite standouts.
That being said, I'm sure that the average audience member and kids will probably enjoy it for what it is.

I saw it in Chicago, and very much agree. Underwhelming, but fine. Except for that magic carpet scene--that was amazing and I'm still trying to figure out how they did it (though I saw it from like the last row of the balcony so maybe it's easier to see the mechanics from closer to the stage).

I saw Jagged Little Pill yesterday at a.r.t. Something wasn't quite working for me in the first act (perhaps the book feeling a bit forced to fit the songs? I would have to see it again to analyze), but the second act was phenomenal. Lauren Patten knocked "You Oughta Know" right out of the park and that number got a well-deserved, albeit unusual, standing ovation in the middle of the second act.

They were all good but I though Zachary Quinto stole the show.

Report back what you think after you see it.
I saw Boys in the Band Tuesday night. I really liked it! I wasn't sure I would because we see so many musicals. The cast was amazing and I didn't expect it to be so funny. Jim Parsons tripped over the phone wire! Luckily he wasn't insured again! My daughter was upset that Andrew Rannells didn't stage door that night but Matt Bomer did so that was cool!

I saw Boys in the Band Tuesday night. I really liked it! I wasn't sure I would because we see so many musicals. The cast was amazing and I didn't expect it to be so funny. Jim Parsons tripped over the phone wire! Luckily he wasn't insured again! My daughter was upset that Andrew Rannells didn't stage door that night but Matt Bomer did so that was cool!

So happy you liked it! Ugh I am not a stage door person, but it really bums me or when people don’t stage door...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!