The Broadway show thread where we discuss all things Broadway

enhance

enhance

The local season for next year was just announced!

Escape to Margaritaville (meh)
The play that goes wrong (super psyched)
Aladdin (never seen a Disney show)
Mean Girls (meh, never seen the movie)
Miss Saigon (super psyched)
Bronx Tale (medium psyched)
My Fair Lady (very psyched)
Option-Les Mis (super psyched to see again!)

Overall, I’m really pleased with the upcoming season! I’ll likely give the Escape to Margaritaville tix to a Jimmy Buffet fan as it’s not really my Jam. I’ve never seen Mean Girls so it’s hard to get pumped but I’ve heard good things.

DS and his girlfriend "entered a lottery for tickets" and won to see the Book of Mormon tonight. One question-what's the broadway lottery?

DS and his girlfriend "entered a lottery for tickets" and won to see the Book of Mormon tonight. One question-what's the broadway lottery?

Most shows hold back a section of seats (usually in the first two rows) and basically have a lottery for them. They take names either at the theater or online and then they pull names and if you win you have the option of taking the seats for usually $10-$20. It’s a great way to get last minute or cheap tickets if you don’t care what you see.

ETA: they even do this for most touring shows as well.

Was that what you were asking?

Exactly! Thanks. My guess is that they probably announce the winners (at least they apparently did here) fairly close to the time of the show. DS and his girlfriend live in Queens, so they didn't need a lot of time to make arrangements.

Just saw Pretty Woman on Wednesday night. Didn't know what to expect...if it would follow the movie closely or not. It did and I loved it. I thought the music was wonderful and the whole cast did a great job. The woman who played Kit (Vivian's roommate) was awesome...what a set of pipes. My friend got last minute tix on TDF.

Went to Tony DiNapoli's for dinner before. Had a great night!!

MJ

Most shows hold back a section of seats (usually in the first two rows) and basically have a lottery for them. They take names either at the theater or online and then they pull names and if you win you have the option of taking the seats for usually $10-$20. It’s a great way to get last minute or cheap tickets if you don’t care what you see.

ETA: they even do this for most touring shows as well.

Was that what you were asking?
Are they still that cheap on Broadway? Our touring show lotteries are $40 now. Not nearly as great of a deal as it used to be.

Headed to see Puffs off Broadway tomorrow. My youngest is a huge Harry Potter fan and The Cursed Child is out of budget! :laughing:

Are they still that cheap on Broadway? Our touring show lotteries are $40 now. Not nearly as great of a deal as it used to be.

Yup. Cheapest I’ve seen are Hamilton ($10- Ham4Ham - like the 10 dollar bill has Hamilton on it) and most others are between $30-50. I’ve won Wicked, The Lion King, Kinky Boots, and various others. My sister actually won Hamilton and took me (Front row for $10!!). We can get to the city within two hours so the lottery is worth it for us if we don’t have anything better to do that day.

Just saw Choir Boy.:guilty: Full of feels.....and very deep, thought provoking themes. Wonderful acting performances, especially by the lead (reminded me somewhat of DEH).
Interesting tidbit -while we were coming out of my favorite eatery before the show, DD spotted someone she knew. When she approached him and called his name, the guy says “Nope”. She laughed and told him that she thought he was a friend of hers. We continued onto the show and wouldn’t you know it, there was Mr. “Nope” guy on the stage! . We were in the front row and at curtain call, I called out his “Nope” name to him and he recognized us and started laughing with us. Too funny!

One week from tonight - School of Rock! I am really looking forward to this one. ALW holds a special place in my heart as one of the first Broadway composers I really latched on to.

Just saw Choir Boy.:guilty: Full of feels.....and very deep, thought provoking themes. Wonderful acting performances, especially by the lead (reminded me somewhat of DEH).
Interesting tidbit -while we were coming out of my favorite eatery before the show, DD spotted someone she knew. When she approached him and called his name, the guy says “Nope”. She laughed and told him that she thought he was a friend of hers. We continued onto the show and wouldn’t you know it, there was Mr. “Nope” guy on the stage! . We were in the front row and at curtain call, I called out his “Nope” name to him and he recognized us and started laughing with us. Too funny!

Yes, Jeremy Pope was outstanding. I want to go see Ain’t Too Proud solely because of his performance in Choir Boy.

Just curious? Which actor (or character, if you don’t know the guys name) was it your dd thought she knew?

So today I took my daughter to frozen on broadway, with 4 other adults and 5 other kids. Overall I think we did ok, but I was right to think they were on the younger side (but there were kids younger then her there), and frankly I think just me and her would have been slightly better/easier.

Either way I loved the show and am really happy I got to see Patti Murin and Casey Levy.

Yes, Jeremy Pope was outstanding. I want to go see Ain’t Too Proud solely because of his performance in Choir Boy.

Just curious? Which actor (or character, if you don’t know the guys name) was it your dd thought she knew?

It was Marcus Gladney. And we are also anxious to see Ain’t Too Proud.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!