The Broadway show thread where we discuss all things Broadway

Just in case anyone here is a fan of Marin Mazzie...She was the original "Mother" in "Ragtime" on Broadway, as well as numerous other roles. She recently passed away from ovarian cancer, and her husband (Broadway singer Jason Danieley) just posted a kickstarter to release their last concert together on CD. If anyone's interested, this is the link:
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...-mazzie-and-jason-danieley-broadway-and-beyon

Their voices go so well together--I'm a huge fan. Even if you don't want to back it, there's a youtube video on the page of one of the songs they sang at the concert, totally worth watching. :)

(also mods feel free to delete if not allowed)

One week from tonight - School of Rock! I am really looking forward to this one. ALW holds a special place in my heart as one of the first Broadway composers I really latched on to.

We see it two weeks from tonight in Cleveland. We swapped out our tickets from another show in our series for two more seats for our boys, but now will probably be taking our younger son and a friend of his instead because my older son just saw it on his DC trip.

School of Rock is definitely my least favorite. I was underwhelmed but the talent of the children. The children didn't have any real dance numbers, just literally jumping up and down for a whole song. Saw Matilda on Broadway years ago and was wowed by those kids. They executed amazing choreography. The whole show only had 1 or 2 wow moments. I was glad that I had bought discounted tickets and not full price. Maybe they were just having an off day in NYC over the summer when we saw. Enjoy!

School of Rock is definitely my least favorite. I was underwhelmed but the talent of the children. The children didn't have any real dance numbers, just literally jumping up and down for a whole song. Saw Matilda on Broadway years ago and was wowed by those kids. They executed amazing choreography. The whole show only had 1 or 2 wow moments. I was glad that I had bought discounted tickets and not full price. Maybe they were just having an off day in NYC over the summer when we saw. Enjoy!
While not on Broadway, I agree. We saw School of Rock touring. The kids musical talent was amazing, but the show was only ok. Matilda in London was incredible!!

That was actually my son's review of the touring show in DC (which may very well be the same cast that Cleveland is getting). We did see it in NYC a couple years ago and thought it was really well done, especially the kids. But my son said while the kids could really play instruments well, they couldn't sing much (he didn't mention anything about dancing).

Saw The Band’s Visit this afternoon. Quiet little show. I could see why one would either really like it or really not like it, and I heard both opinions while exiting the show.

I fall into the really liked it camp. My one criticism is its length. I’m not a fan of 90 minute shows, and while I certainly wouldn’t want a show padded with “fluff”, I think that broadway shows should be at least two hours. In this case, it didnt matter much to me as the ticket was purchased for $35 during their holiday sale, but if I’m paying $100 plus, I want to get at least two hours entertainment out of the deal.

Just got tickets for Gary: A Sequel to Titus Andronicus starring Nathan Lane. Love him, so I'm hoping the show is good!

Just got tickets for Gary: A Sequel to Titus Andronicus starring Nathan Lane. Love him, so I'm hoping the show is good!
Ooh! That show is on my wishlist, as I love nathan lane and andrea martin and Titus Andronicus was actually the first Shakespearean play I saw. (Probably not the best choice for a 2nd grader, but I don't think I've suffered any lasting damage.)

Just saw Choir Boy yesterday and loved it! I wish I could see it again and again but it closes today. I also wish I could have seen Jeremy Pope as Pharus but could only fit it in my schedule last minute. Excited to see him in Ain’t Too Proud in a few weeks! Next up for me is The Band’s Visit in two weeks.

Seeing our favorite Jeremy Jordan tonight at Town Hall Broadway series with Seth Rudasky. Next month daughter is flying home for a visit to see My Fair Lady (Laura Benanti was out with the flu our first time - hubby got tickets for me us to see her in February - and since she was SO much better than the understudy's understudy, we are going AGAIN so daughter can see her! lol) That's a matinee, and then that night Kiss Me Kate - daughter was assistant Director in high school and I helped with musical direction - so it is a MUST see!

Tax return came back and I think I'm going to surprise hubby with tickets to Book of Mormon in Providence!!!

I saw the touring production of Come From Away yesterday and absolutely loved it!

We have Come From Away on our Broadway Series this summer - looking forward to it!

We saw the touring production of School of Rock on Friday. I thought it was really well done, although there was technical issues with the set so the show started late and then had about a 10 minute delay in the first act when something went wrong. It's the first week of the show's run here, so hopefully they get things worked out.

PPAC just released their show lineup for the 2019/2020 season and I am SO excited!

Come From Away
Escape to Margaritaville
Spongebob
Dear Evan Hanson
Aladdin
JC Superstar
Hello Dolly
Fiddler on the Roof

I'm not HUGE on Dolly or Fiddler, but I'm waiting to see if there are any reviews of the new productions before I decide if we'll opt out of one. If Betty Buckley were going on tour with Dolly it'd be a no brainer, but I don't think we'll be that lucky!

I’d definitely see Dolly and Fiddler. Aladdin and Superstar I’d be somewhat into. The rest...no.

We just renewed for our 2019-20 season as well - even better, our neighbors decided to sign up too and have the seats right next to us! :)

Our season has:

Summer - The Donna Summer Musical (no clue about this one?)
The Band's Visit
Mean Girls
Anastasia
Jesus Christ Superstar
My Fair Lady
Frozen

I think my wife and neighbor are planning on taking the neighbor's two girls to Frozen - I'm ok giving that ticket up. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter