The Broadway show thread where we discuss all things Broadway

Finally, finally, FINALLY saw Come From Away last week. I cried during the sad parts, during the happy parts, and quite a few times when it hit me that I was finally seeing it, lol. (I cry a lot anyway, so....) I got into the soundtrack over a year ago, and it just really had a huge impact on me.

What an incredible show! I was disappointed that I didn't get to see Jenn Colella perform, but that just gives me an excuse to go again. :)
So glad you loved it. I dragged my husband and he was surprised how much he enjoyed it. I cried too!!!

Right there with you. I know people love Dear Evan Hanson, but Come From Away was robbed.

No would have been Comet of 1812 or Groundhog Day. Grief is a fantastic director . He has always does very well with musicals with excellent material. Loved watching Grey Gardens on YT.

Come From Away was phenomenal! Sadly, I don’t get to see things on Broadway ( yet! ) but touring. I got nearly last minute tickets for it and even with an obstructed view I am so glad to have seen it.

I am seeing Dear Evan Hansen in March as a got an annual subscription. My 16 year old is very excited about that one. I like the music.

We saw Come From Away a couple weeks ago as well - we loved it. It worked out perfectly in that it's all one act too, as my wife had just come back from a business trip and would have fallen asleep in a traditional 3-hour musical. I'm amazed at how much all the actors and actresses had to work during a really busy one act. :)

We saw Come From Away a couple weeks ago as well - we loved it. It worked out perfectly in that it's all one act too, as my wife had just come back from a business trip and would have fallen asleep in a traditional 3-hour musical. I'm amazed at how much all the actors and actresses had to work during a really busy one act. :)
It is my dream show to direct. Cannot wait until the rights are released!

Best way to get tickets to Broadway shows.
My wife really want to see Phantom. I figured it has to have discount seats. Where do I go any advice?

My wife really want to see Phantom. I figured it has to have discount seats. Where do I go any advice?

There are several easy ways -- join mailing lists like theatermania and look for the discount codes. Or coming up in September TDF and NYC.org sponsor Broadway Week where select shows offer by one get one free tickets. Phantom will probably have tickets available during that time. The dates have been announced --- Sept. 3-16, but the shows taking part have not. That will probably happen around the middle of August. I was able to see Come From Away last year with this offer.

If you are willing to take a chance, you can go to the TKTS booth in Times Square and see what shows have discount tickets that day of. I just checked and Phantom was available last night. You can download their app and see what is available before getting there, which is really nice. Also, a newcomer is Today Tix which has discount tickets. There is an app for that too!

Whatever you do -- have fun!

I think I will wait for theater week.
Does it only sell tickets for that week or is it for future shows as well?

Hope you are able to get those Phantom tickets - todaytix is also a good source. And, you are in for a treat if the roles of Phantom or Raul are played by our friend, Jeremy Stolle! He's wonderful!!!

So Hadestown last night! Very good, but if you have young kids you may not be able to focus.

Every time Hades came on stage all I saw was this: 60B042A2-16A5-4897-9E9F-A4E240260992.jpeg

Otherwise an overall good show, Andre De Shields was fabulous I think the Tony was very deserved! I didn’t love Reeve Carney, but everyone else was very good.

OK, this is new to me... Digital Lottery for discounted tickets? Do you have a better chance doing this than trying for Rush tickets, day-of? We'd love to come to NYC and see a bunch of shows but some of these prices are steep, and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot available at TKTS!

OK, this is new to me... Digital Lottery for discounted tickets? Do you have a better chance doing this than trying for Rush tickets, day-of? We'd love to come to NYC and see a bunch of shows but some of these prices are steep, and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot available at TKTS!
Digital lotteries are worth a shot - some shows are easier to win than others. I’ve been entering Hamilton every day since they started, and no luck. And I only *finally* won tickets for MEAN GIRLS two weeks ago. I’d imagine something like Tootsie might be an easy win.

Some shows like HADESTOWN, Hamilton and MOULIN ROUGE, you have to enter two days before the performance you’re hoping to attend. Others some shows you have until 9 am or 2 pm the day of the show you’re trying for. It just depends on which shows you’re hoping to see.

They’re all free to enter and it’s always worth a shot - although Some of the seats might not be great. For example our seats for ALADDIN were in a box and definitely obstructed. Lion King and Mean Girls we’re both in the center orchestra, but in the last row. My seat for OKLAHOMA! was on the stage and was amazing - a $189 ticket and I only payed $42.
I also won Dear Evan Hansen and was given a standing room ticket - which I was not happy with - though they are upfront that you *may* be given a standing room spot.

Saw Moulin Rouge....LOVED IT! Sat in the next to last row in the Mezzanine and had really good views. DH wants to go back and sit down in the orchestra. I hate sitting in the orchestra because I’m short. 🤣😂

Saw opening night of the SpongeBob Musical tour....loved it! Saw it on Broadway and thought that it transferred well.

Saw opening night of the SpongeBob Musical tour....loved it! Saw it on Broadway and thought that it transferred well.

I'm glad to hear that! The Spongebob tour doesn't hit our theater until May of next year, really looking forward to bringing my kids to it!

Next Tuesday we see Escape to Margaritaville for the tour opening. I'm cautiously optimistic about this the way I am about most jukebox musicals, I'm not expecting any high theater but will be happy if it's a nostalgic review of songs we enjoy. We shall see!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter