The Broadway show thread where we discuss all things Broadway

OK, this is new to me... Digital Lottery for discounted tickets? Do you have a better chance doing this than trying for Rush tickets, day-of? We'd love to come to NYC and see a bunch of shows but some of these prices are steep, and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot available at TKTS!

Day-of rush you are in much more control of than digital lotteries. I would not count on them at all. Rush as long as you get there in time you are guaranteed the ticket.

Does anyone watch Seth Rudetsky videos on YouTube? I watch most of his classic Broadway deconstructions...

I use to listen to his show when I was able to listen at work when I could and loved it. He's so knowledgeable.

We saw The Rose Tattoo last week, it was so good.
Got the tickets from TKTS for the matinee show.
If you're looking for a play, this is a good one!

Saw Beetlejuice Friday. Won partial view seats from the lottery, so we actually missed quite a bit of the stage (which judging by the laughs, the scenes contained some funny parts).

I loved Beetlejuice the movie.....the musical....well....not so much.

Now, I’m not a person that needs some mind altering, deep plot type of show (heck, I loved Spongebob!). That being said, this show, while full of lots of bells and whistles that made it definitely eye catching, seemed quite vapid to me. The songs were forgettable and in between the laugh inducing lines, the dialogue was kind of flat (so I guess I’d say the “book & score” were what sucked for me).

But I did enjoy the actors’ efforts in trying to bring life to this dead book/score. They did the best with what they had I suppose.

Standouts - Delia and BJ himself.

I’ll definitely give it another try with better seats. Maybe it will make a difference.

I realized I never posted after seeing the Escape to Margaritaville tour opener in Providence.

It was....something lol. Definitely a love letter to Buffett fans, but not much more. The entire first act is basically setting up the jokes to the final song of the act. The second act has a little more meat to it, but then they throw in a completely unnecessary tap number (TAP NUMBER LOL). Most honest moment in the second act was the scene around "A Pirate Looks at 40". That was a really sweet scene that played very well.

I found myself getting distracted by something that just irks me in general - actresses in musical theater (with what are probably very good Music theater voices) who think that singing pop-style theater means throwing hitches and nasally swoops into their musical phrasing. I don't know how else to describe it, but it drives me NUTS. The female lead in the tour had this in spades. The supporting actress was EXCELLENT and clearly knew how to sing pop theater without sounding like she was trying too hard.

Not a show I would have chosen to see without my season subscription, probably not one I'd see again...but my in-laws who are longtime Parrotheads ADORED the show. It's definitely for a targeted audience.

Saw Beetlejuice Friday. Won partial view seats from the lottery, so we actually missed quite a bit of the stage (which judging by the laughs, the scenes contained some funny parts).

I loved Beetlejuice the movie.....the musical....well....not so much.

Now, I’m not a person that needs some mind altering, deep plot type of show (heck, I loved Spongebob!). That being said, this show, while full of lots of bells and whistles that made it definitely eye catching, seemed quite vapid to me. The songs were forgettable and in between the laugh inducing lines, the dialogue was kind of flat (so I guess I’d say the “book & score” were what sucked for me).

But I did enjoy the actors’ efforts in trying to bring life to this dead book/score. They did the best with what they had I suppose.

Standouts - Delia and BJ himself.

I’ll definitely give it another try with better seats. Maybe it will make a difference.

Was Sophia Anne Caruso on as Lydia that night ? I know she missed a show this week -

Friday, we have our first show for this season - Summer (Donna Summer musical). No real expectations going in, but it's our anniversary, so it will be nice to be out with my wife. Next month is The Band's Visit - looking forward to that one. :)

Friday, we have our first show for this season - Summer (Donna Summer musical). No real expectations going in, but it's our anniversary, so it will be nice to be out with my wife. Next month is The Band's Visit - looking forward to that one. :)

We really enjoyed the Band's Visit! But we went into it knowing it was not "typical" musical theater....it's a very different experience but it is beautifully done.

SUMMER was a little bit of a guilty pleasure for me. I don't know about the tour cast, but I loved the three Donna's on Broadway. It was terribly written, but it's hard to deny that most of those songs are great fun - and sometimes, that's enough.

I saw The Band's Visit twice on Broadway, about a year apart. The first time, I enjoyed it and found much to admire but I can't say that I was crazy about it. My companions found the show boring/slow.
The second time however, it absolutely destroyed me. "Answer Me" is probably one of my favorite songs of the last few years. Please share your thoughts after you've seen it!

Has anyone seen Slave Play? I haven't been able to stop thinking about it since I saw it two weeks ago. I thought the middle section went on a bit too long. But that ending! I also thought that Joaquina Kalukango is giving an incredible performance.

We live about 45 mins from broadway so we go often.

I play the broadway lottery a lot and love when I win tickets. We won lion king tickets (for the 2nd time) a few weeks ago.

I’m excited to see Beetlejuice this Friday!

Just bought tickets tonight to see A Christmas Carol on Dec 26. It’s playing for 8 wks on broadway at the Lyceum theater. Super excited for that!

Last edited:
I realized I never posted after seeing the Escape to Margaritaville tour opener in Providence.

It was....something lol. Definitely a love letter to Buffett fans, but not much more. The entire first act is basically setting up the jokes to the final song of the act. The second act has a little more meat to it, but then they throw in a completely unnecessary tap number (TAP NUMBER LOL). Most honest moment in the second act was the scene around "A Pirate Looks at 40". That was a really sweet scene that played very well.

I found myself getting distracted by something that just irks me in general - actresses in musical theater (with what are probably very good Music theater voices) who think that singing pop-style theater means throwing hitches and nasally swoops into their musical phrasing. I don't know how else to describe it, but it drives me NUTS. The female lead in the tour had this in spades. The supporting actress was EXCELLENT and clearly knew how to sing pop theater without sounding like she was trying too hard.

Not a show I would have chosen to see without my season subscription, probably not one I'd see again...but my in-laws who are longtime Parrotheads ADORED the show. It's definitely for a targeted audience.

I also subscribe to PPAC and opted out of Margaritaville.im not a a Jimmy Buffet fan so really had no desire. My parents saw it and said it was just ok. I’m looking forward to seeing Aladdin on Wednesday night though! This summer I saw The Band’s Visit in Providence (really not my favorite), Dear Evan Hansen in Boston (I won lottery tickets for this one and absolutely loved it), Hamilton in Providence (again, loved it), and I went to New York in August to see Waitress with Coleen Ballinger and Todrick Hall. I’ve seen Waitress before (out of town in Boston, on Broadway and on tour) and they were great!

I’ll be heading to New York on a day trip with my community theater group in November and I have tickets to see Frozen again that day. My mom and I saw it last spring and we really loved it so we are seeing it again.

Locally, I’m getting ready to for a production of Shrek The Musical. I’m in the dance ensemble and having a blast. I saw the show on Broadway about 10 years ago and wasn’t totally crazy about it, but being in it has really changed my opinion of the show.

Locally, I’m getting ready to for a production of Shrek The Musical. I’m in the dance ensemble and having a blast. I saw the show on Broadway about 10 years ago and wasn’t totally crazy about it, but being in it has really changed my opinion of the show.

That's awesome you do community theater. I studied theater in college, voice and opera to be exact, but never pursued the professional route. I do, however, or use to, perform with local community theater groups I'm lucky in that where I live there are a lot of local community theater groups, almost too many at times. And what I mean is, when one group is doing a large show, that could pull a lot of actors to that one show and away from other groups/shows, which forces some to do small shows. One group I use to be on the board of directors for use to look at what other groups were doing before selecting our season.

Last edited:

For which theater? I did Shrek last summer at Stadium Theater (I was Wicked Witch), it is SUCH a fun show to do!! About to start rehearsing for Rock of Ages, and in the middle of rehearsals for a showcase with a different theater group. Once I got back into performing it was impossible to stop :)

I have finally discovered Christian Borle. :love: Obsessed with Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Something Rotten. I am debating getting Broadway HD so I can see Falsettos.

I have finally discovered Christian Borle. :love: Obsessed with Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Something Rotten. I am debating getting Broadway HD so I can see Falsettos.

Did you see him in "Smash" on TV? I really enjoyed the first season but for some reason never watched the second. :confused3

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts