The Broadway show thread where we discuss all things Broadway

This Friday, in addition to whatever Andrew Lloyd Webber free show will be showing at 2pm, Playbill will be streaming the revival of The King and I, at 8pm. It stars Tony Award winner, Kelli O’Hara as Mrs. Anna Leonowens, Ken Watanabe as The King, Tony Award winner, Ruthie Ann Miles as Lady Thiang, Dean John-Wilson as Lun Tha, and Na-Young Jeon as Tuptim.

Follow along with the official Playbill Twitter account, as well as the Rodgers & Hammerstein Twitter and Instagram for trivia, fun facts, and giveaways. :woohoo: Use #RNHMovieNight if you’ll be watching with them.

It starts on Friday at 8pm ET / 5pm PT.
It is free for everyone in North America to enjoy thanks to BroadwayHD. The free stream will be available for only 48 hours.

The link to watch will be below, starting at 8pm Friday night:

https://www.broadwayhd.com/movies/AW2GtQ1Zpx3F9_4AqeuR

Last edited:
This Friday, in addition to whatever Andrew Lloyd Webber free show will be showing at 2pm, Playbill will be streaming the revival of The King and I, at 8pm. It stars Tony Award winner, Kelli O’Hara as Mrs. Anna Leonowens, Ken Watanabe as The King, Tony Award winner, Ruthie Ann Miles as Lady Thiang, Dean John-Wilson as Lun Tha, and Na-Young Jeon as Tuptim.

Follow along with the official Playbill Twitter account, as well as the Rodgers & Hammerstein Twitter and Instagram for trivia, fun facts, and giveaways. :woohoo: Use #RNHMovieNight if you’ll be watching with them.

It starts on Friday at 8pm ET / 5pm PT.
It is free for everyone in North America to enjoy thanks to BroadwayHD. The free stream will be available for only 48 hours.

The link to watch will be here:

https://www.broadwayhd.com/movies/AW2GtQ1Zpx3F9_4AqeuR
Do you have to have a subscription or can anyone watch it?

The Metropolitan Opera is still streaming its FREE Nightly Met Opera Streams series, while the house is dark, with a new opera starting at 7:30 PM and showing for the following 23 hours, to 6:30 PM. (1 hour down, in between before the next opera starts.)

What I think is interesting this week, even if one doesn't like opera :duck: is that on Friday night they will present the documentary, The Opera House, exploring the development of the Metropolitan Opera's home at Lincoln Center.

The full lineup for the week of May 4:
7:30 PM ET and will remain up to 6:30 PM following day.

May 4: Mozart’s Le Nozze di Figaro
Conducted by James Levine, starring Renée Fleming, Cecilia Bartoli, Susanne Mentzer, Dwayne Croft, and Sir Bryn Terfel. Transmitted live on November 11, 1998.

May 5: Thomas’s Hamlet
Conducted by Louis Langrée, starring Marlis Petersen, Jennifer Larmore, Simon Keenlyside, and James Morris. Transmitted live on March 27, 2010.

May 6: Saariaho’s L’Amour de Loin
Conducted by Susanna Mälkki, starring Susanna Phillips, Tamara Mumford, and Eric Owens. Transmitted live on December 10, 2016.

May 7: R. Strauss’s Capriccio
Conducted by Sir Andrew Davis, starring Renée Fleming, Sarah Connolly, Joseph Kaiser, Russell Braun, Morten Frank Larsen, and Peter Rose. Transmitted live on April 23, 2011.

May 8: Puccini’s La Bohème
Conducted by James Levine, starring Renata Scotto and Luciano Pavarotti. Transmitted live on March 15, 1977.

May 9: The Opera House

May 10: Mascagni’s Cavalleria Rusticana and Leoncavallo’s Pagliacci

Conducted by Fabio Luisi. Cavalleria Rusticana: Starring Eva-Maria Westbroek, Marcelo Álvarez, and George Gagnidze. Pagliacci: Starring Patricia Racette, Marcelo Álvarez, and George Gagnidze. Transmitted live on April 25, 2015.

All shows can be seen free on the Met's homepage:

https://www.metopera.org/

The streams are also available through the Met Opera on Demand apps for Apple, Amazon, and Roku devices and Samsung Smart TV. To access them without logging in, click “Browse and Preview” in the apps for connected TV, and “Explore the App” on tablets and mobile devices.

Last edited:

Also the Met Opera has FREE Student Streams! Each week, they’ll be offering one opera specially selected for young audience members around the globe, along with opportunities to learn more about the production and hear from some of the amazing artists who helped make it happen.

Designed to support teachers, students, and families working and learning remotely during the Covid-19 crisis, this program offers daily live events between Monday and Wednesday that are aimed at deepening your understanding of the opera and helping you work it into your curriculum. Then, between Wednesday and Friday, you can tune in to view the opera—and apply everything you’ve learned!

Weekly Schedule
:
  • Monday, 4:00 p.m. EDT: Educator Showcase*
    Hosted on the Zoom platform. Teachers from around the country will share tips on helping young audiences engage with the weekly opera.
  • Tuesday, 4:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m. EDT: Met Opera Office Hours**
    Hosted via Facebook Live. Met Opera education staff will answer questions about available resources and offer ideas for helping even the youngest audience members engage successfully with opera.
  • Wednesday, 4:00 p.m. EDT: Artist Chat*
    Hosted on the Zoom platform. Met Opera artists will answer student questions about music, opera, and their careers in the arts.
    Week 5 Featured Artists: Tenor Roberto Alagna, Director/Choreographer Carolyn Choa, and Assistant Director Sara Erde
  • Wednesday, 5:00 p.m. EDT through Friday, 5:00 p.m. EDT: Free Student Stream
    Watch the opera!

*To attend the Educator Showcase and Artist Chat, please RSVP via the link below.

**To attend the Met Opera Office Hours, please visit the Met Education Facebook page.

For more info:
https://www.metopera.org/discover/education/free-student-streams/home/

Pssst! :ssst: OR you can just watch the FREE opera on Wednesday, 5:00 p.m. EDT through Friday, 5:00 p.m. EDT

The Free Student Stream this week is:
Puccini's Madam Butterfly.

(Content advisory from the Met's website: Madame Butterfly contains a suicide, And may not be advisable for all audiences.) Not sure WHY they thought this would be good to show this to students then. :confused3

Link for show on Wed. May 6 at 5 pm ET:

https://www.metopera.org/discover/education/free-student-streams/home/

Last edited:
This weekend's Andrew Lloyd Webber free show is
the musical comedy extravaganza, By Jeeves! Inspired by the works of P. G. Wodehouse. It is a musical adaptation featuring the much-loved humorous characters created by P.G. Wodehouse, the none-too-bright man-about-town Bertie Wooster (John Scherer), and his long-suffering butler Jeeves (Martin Jarvis). The musical is written and directed by respected playwright Alan Ayckbourn with music by Andrew Lloyd Webber.

Available until Sunday 2pm ET.

The Broadway Theatre League is now giving refunds or exchanges for Broadway tickets through Sept 6th as the Broadway theatres remain closed until then. :(

Last edited:

Here is the announcement for Hamilton, with Bob Iger and Lin-Manuel Miranda on GMA this morning. I forgot to mention earlier, that Hamilton stars the original cast on Broadway, and was directed by the original director of the show. And it was shot in the Broadway theatre.

Here's a preview of what it will look like:

A little OT - We got the notice yesterday that the Santa Fe Opera is not going to open this season. They asked people to donate the cost of the ticket they had purchased and not ask for refunds in order to support all of the folks that work for the opera. We gladly did this.

I have tickets for the pre-Broadway run of 1776 in Los Angeles in July. No word yet, but I suspect it will be canceled. I won't ask for a refund.

I have tickets for the pre-Broadway run of 1776 in Los Angeles in July. No word yet, but I suspect it will be canceled. I won't ask for a refund.
I am ticketed for the run at American Repertory Theatre. It was supposed to be there starting later this month, but we were informed our run is getting pushed to next season with dates TBD.
For a Disney connection, the announced cast includes a performer I'd seen at Comedy warehouse, Studios Streetmosphere, and the Finding Nemo musical.

I am ticketed for the run at American Repertory Theatre. It was supposed to be there starting later this month, but we were informed our run is getting pushed to next season with dates TBD.
Seems they did postpone the Center Theater Group run back in March.

I suspect us live theater folk will be the very last group to get back to work.

Our Broadway Series has been effectively postponed for the rest of 2020. Frozen (this summer) and Hamilton (in September) are being postponed, as well as the first two shows of the new season. The first expected show in our theaters is in January 2021.

Hamilton was scheduled to open here in Los Angeles on March 12. We all showed up to work on the 12 and were told the run was suspended until April 1. Then is was suspended until April 21. Just got word a couple of days ago the theater is holding open dates until the end of February. So IF our local lockdown does end at the end of August we could go up in Sept and run the rest of 2020 and into 2021.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter