The Broadway show thread where we discuss all things Broadway

CapeCodTenor

Dis Veteran; Dis Dads #865
I love Broadway shows, who doesn't? Ok, possibly my older brother, we're not really related, but for the most part I think we all like one or two B'way shows. While riding the train this morning I came across a Broadway show on my iPod that I hadn't listened to in a while, The Will Rogers Follies. I've always loved this show, but stopped listening to it for a while because I listened to it too much and got burned out. For me, there's not a song I don't like in this show; every song has catchy tune. There's one song in particular that I love, not only because the tune is catchy, but because the way it was choreographed. You know, Instead of me trying to describe it to you, why don't you watch it yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaR_gv1I_jc

Let's discuss our favorite B'way shows. What show do you like? And this discussion isn't limited to the B'way musical. If it’s a play you prefer instead of the musical, let's here about it. If you could be in a B'way show, what show would it be and what role?

I would love to play Will Rogers in The Will Rogers Follies, and it's primarily due to the song in the video.

Just wanted to add: I know in the community theater circles I run around in I'm in the minority, but I liked the musical Cats!

My favorite show thus far was Miss Saigon. I know it's not as popular but I just really enjoyed it.

I really love Spring Awakening. I just saw it for the 4th (and final) time on Sunday. Three of those times I sat on stage. I just love the music.

I also love Les Miz, Ragtime, Sound of Music, Rent and Scarlett Pimpernel.

I still need to see Wicked and Mama Mia, hopefully someday soon.

I can't say that I've seen a show that I didn't like.

Probably my absolute fave is Les Miserables but I also loved Wicked and Rent.

This season I'll be seeing: Chicago, Mary Poppins, A Chorus Line, A Bronx Tale and Grease so my favorite may change but it will take a lot to knock Les Mis of the top spot.

Oh yeah, PP reminded me that I'll probably see Spring Awakening too if I can find someone to go with me.

Lion King (seen and NYC and Boston)
Aida (seen in NYC)
Mamma Mia (seen in Boston)

The kids watched the movie Mamma Mia last night. They loved it, so if it comes back to Boston, I may take them to see it.

I'm not a performer, so I don't aspire to be in a ny broadway show. I am dying to see Wicked!

My favorite show thus far was Miss Saigon. I know it's not as popular but I just really enjoyed it.

Miss Saigon was a great show. I've seen it twice, once in Boston and once in New York.

I really love Spring Awakening. I just saw it for the 4th (and final) time on Sunday. Three of those times I sat on stage. I just love the music.

I also love Les Miz, Ragtime, Sound of Music, Rent and Scarlett Pimpernel.

I still need to see Wicked and Mama Mia, hopefully someday soon.

I really wanted to see Spring Awakening but that's not going to happen. I also like Titanic, a very powerful show. It was also amazing how they sunk the ship into the stage. It gave me chills.

I enjoyed Titanic as well. It was amazing how they did that. Sadly my main memory from that show was being annoyed at people making cell phone calls right outside the curtain by where I was sitting. ugh!

I also want to see In the Heights.

Spring Awakening is on tour, so maybe you can still see it. If it comes to the NJPac center, I will probably go. lol.

Musicals :Les Miz , Crazy for You(love the gershwin music), Buddy (so much fun to hear the buddy holly music live)

Non- musical : Master Harold and the Boys

Off- Broadway: Tracers (probably the most powerful theatre experience ever! this play evolved from vietnam vets therapy sessions, and was performed by vets.... it was INCREDIBLE!!!)

*Phantom of the Opera
*Starlight Express
*Three Guys Named Moe (Not sure if you can call this one "broadway" but I loved it).
*A Christmas Carol, the Musical (saw this in '07 and made my Xmas since it was the last with my wife)
*Cats

Lot more, but these are the ones off the top of my head....

Just wanted to add: I know in the community theater circles I run around in I'm in the minority, but I liked the musical Cats!

I loved the play but I gotta tell you it was a little weird seeing the actors move around like cats. Music was great.

My absolute favorite is Les Miz. I still haven't seen wicked yet.

I saw a comedy with Nathan Lane last October that was hilarious. He played the President of the US that was trying to get a presidental library. I can't remember the name of it but it was the first non-musical I've seen in a long time.

*Three Guys Named Moe (Not sure if you can call this one "broadway" but I loved it).

Great show but did they lose a couple of guys? (I think it is Five Guys...)

*Phantom of the Opera
*Starlight Express
*A Christmas Carol, the Musical (saw this in '07 and made my Xmas since it was the last with my wife)
*Cats

What was Starlight Express like?

I can't believe I forgot 42nd street.

Anyone see Sunset Blvd? I saw it in NY with Betty Buckley. I loved the sets in this show. The mansion set was amazing.

Great show but did they lose a couple of guys? (I think it is Five Guys...)

Was it Five? I just know it was a lot of guys named Moe and it was a great show! :teeth:

What was Starlight Express like?

Starlight Express is usually done all on roller skates. To be honest...for some oddball reason it reminded me of Jesus Christ Superstar (which was great too!)....:confused3
I also had the fortune of seeing them performing on ice skates in Reunion Arena (hockey rink) and it was awesome! :thumbsup2

Mine is still Jekyll & Hyde. Love the music and moodiness of it.

It seemed to do quite well when it came through some time back. I'm always surprised not to see it mentioned.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!