The Broadway show thread where we discuss all things Broadway

Heading to London next week for a couple days (my wife has business meetings there beforehand, so I'm meeting up with her for a short stay in the city). Anyone have any recommendations for a show to catch while we're there (Friday or Saturday night)? We've seen most of the usual musicals (except Book of Mormon, which I'm considering), but I didn't know if there was something that was fairly unique for the West End that we won't necessarily catch in the US?

Kinky Boots! I've seen it in NYC and London, and there was a great energy (cast and crowd) in London. My daughter and I definitely preferred the London show.

The other one we considered but ran out of time to see was Bat Out of Hell. Good reviews. We're hoping to see that sometime.

Thanks for the feedback. I've been wanting to see Come From Away since I started hearing songs from it on Sirius XM's On Broadway channel, so Im hoping it will pop up.

Heading to London next week for a couple days (my wife has business meetings there beforehand, so I'm meeting up with her for a short stay in the city). Anyone have any recommendations for a show to catch while we're there (Friday or Saturday night)? We've seen most of the usual musicals (except Book of Mormon, which I'm considering), but I didn't know if there was something that was fairly unique for the West End that we won't necessarily catch in the US?
Comedy About a Bank Robbery

Mischief's Play That Goes Wrong is playing in the U.S., but this one hasn't yet crossed the pond.

Kinky Boots! I've seen it in NYC and London, and there was a great energy (cast and crowd) in London. My daughter and I definitely preferred the London show.

The other one we considered but ran out of time to see was Bat Out of Hell. Good reviews. We're hoping to see that sometime.

Thanks! I just booked Kinky Boots for next Friday night! I think I got pretty good seats for less than $50 each, too. :)

In September I’m seeing The Book of Mormon, Once on This Island, Anastasia, and Spongebob. I originally had tickets for Be More Chill be sold them because we got a better deal for The Book of Mormon on the same day. I’ll report back in October! This will be my third time seeing Anastasia so I’m excited and my first time seeing the others.

I also started my 2019 selection of shows. I have tickets to see Frozen again and we’re planning to see Mean Girls eventually. Frozen happens right after Disneyland so I’ll still be on my Disneyland high!
Seeing Frozen in December, CANNOT WAIT, SO EXCITED!:thumbsup2

Seeing Frozen in December, CANNOT WAIT, SO EXCITED!:thumbsup2

Love love love Frozen! It has changed a little from the movie but that’s ok because it’s the same story with the new set of characters. The new music is beautiful and I would suggest listening to it! I adore the cast so much. I think that’s part of the reason why I’m going back! You’re going to love Patti (Anna), Jelani (Kristoff), and Caissie (Elsa)! Oh and you can’t forget the boys who play Sven! That’s pretty incredible!

Spongebob: Well, I didn’t hate it and I didn’t love it. It just happened. We also missed more than half the show since we sat second to last row in balc. I’m sure the performance was good but we lost interest half way through because of how rude the people around us were. The couple in front of us were literally on top of each other making a baby the whole time (go get a room. No one wants to see that. You’re at a family event.), the family next to us literally let their children run wild the whole time and get up and down every 5 min, and the family behind us kept crunching chip bags right in our ears and letting their kids kick the back of our chairs. Lesson learned: pay the few extra dollars for Orch seats. Our seats were only $50ish so I guess you pay for what you get lol

We have Book of Mormon next week so I might be calling Ticketmaster to get our seats moved to Orch.

We are seat snobs.:P We only sit in the orchestra. The prices can be crazy, but we want to experience the show as closely as we can.
It's a darn shame that fellow audience members can ruin the performance and be so rude to the performers!

We are seat snobs.:P We only sit in the orchestra. The prices can be crazy, but we want to experience the show as closely as we can.
It's a darn shame that fellow audience members can ruin the performance and be so rude to the performers!
We don't "foot the freight" for Orchestra..would rather spend some more $$ at F&W, lol!:laughing::drinking1In any case, looking forward to our Frozen matinee this December enjoying Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree, "getting in the Christmas spirit":santa: in NY before matinees get crowded with kiddies who are home on Xmas break! ENJOY!:wave2:

We did an impromptu purchase because of discounted tickets for R&H Carousel. I don't think I've paid $105 that wasn't a TKTS in years.

However, after watching Cinderella and South Pacific on Broadway, Oklahoma & Sound of Music at local Theatre, this was probably my least enjoyable show that I've ever seen.

I try and watch the classics. Everyone sung great but I didn't like the story and while I'll confess that I never saw the movie, I found Billy unlikeable and maybe that's how he's suppose to come off? But there wasn't anything charismatic about the actor (understudy) who played him and I didn't feel any chemistry between him and Julie.

I know this got nominated for Tony awards and maybe if I saw a different actor but I just didn't like it.

Last edited:
We did an impromptu purchase because of discounted tickets for R&H Carousel. I don't think I've paid $105 that wasn't a TKTS in years.

However, after watching Cinderella and South Pacific on Broadway, Oklahoma & Sound of Music at local Theatre, this was probably my least enjoyable show that I've ever seen.

I try and watch the classics. Everyone sung great but I didn't like the story and while I'll confess that I never saw the movie, I found Billy unlikeable and maybe that's how he's suppose to come off? But there wasn't anything charismatic about the actor (understudy) who played him and I didn't feel any chemistry between her and Julie.

I know this got nominated for Tony awards and maybe if I saw a different actor but I just didn't like it.

Carousel is an acquired taste, in my opinion. I do love it - my DD, who majored in Theatre Arts and shares my love of everything Broadway, hates Carousel. I think sometimes it's hard to like Billy, since he's a bully and nere'do well, but I cry EVERY TIME I hear "Soliloquy" !

Big Carousel fan here. I recommend the Live from Lincoln Center production with Nathan Gunn and Kelli O'Hara . They are the perfect Billy and Julie. I also love Barbara Cook's Julie. I didn't see the latest revival but I have the cast recording. I wasn't impressed with this Billy. Jessie Mueller is always lovely. I love all the R&H classics. I don't care for some of the "updated" books; I especially disliked Cinderella and Flower Drum Song. Give me the original versions!

I do enjoy the film version of Carousel but SO much was cut.

Traditionally the best seats in the house in any theater are the first 3 rows in mezzanine.(dress circle in opera)
You get the best view. They are actually unfortunately the most expensive seats.
Here in NYC I am lucky enough to go to theater very often, and will wait if need be to get those seats.
We have Frozen tickets for Friday and Hamilton for next week. So excited.
whatever you see, where ever you sit , theater is a great experience.

Last night I saw The Nap. The cast was excellent and it was quite funny! I particularly loved how they played out the snooker tournaments. It's only playing for a couple of months, so fans of One Man Two Guvnors, take note!

How am I just now finding this thread?!?! We live in Maryland, which is about a 2.5 to 3 hour drive into NYC, so day trips are possible for weekend shows. I've only been able to take my daughter to see one show on Broadway (Matilda before it closed) and two other shows here in Baltimore. I would love to take her to see more, but the prices are always what puts a kink in my plans. Since she's shorter, I'm always afraid of buying the cheaper seats all the way up in the balcony, but I definitely can't keep forking over the cash for the asking price of orchestra/center mezzanine seats. The top three shows on my list to take her too are Cursed Child, Frozen and Aladdin, so does anyone have good seating area suggestions for us in those particular theaters? I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but since we're on page 226 of this thread, that would definitely be close to a days worth of scrolling. :laughing:

How am I just now finding this thread?!?! We live in Maryland, which is about a 2.5 to 3 hour drive into NYC, so day trips are possible for weekend shows. I've only been able to take my daughter to see one show on Broadway (Matilda before it closed) and two other shows here in Baltimore. I would love to take her to see more, but the prices are always what puts a kink in my plans. Since she's shorter, I'm always afraid of buying the cheaper seats all the way up in the balcony, but I definitely can't keep forking over the cash for the asking price of orchestra/center mezzanine seats. The top three shows on my list to take her too are Cursed Child, Frozen and Aladdin, so does anyone have good seating area suggestions for us in those particular theaters? I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but since we're on page 226 of this thread, that would definitely be close to a days worth of scrolling. :laughing:

I'll post after I see Harry Potter back to back next month. I know we are on the mezzanine section but we are in the 1st row. My wife got these over a year ago and I think between the 2 of us it's was around almost 200 a ticket.

For Frozen, we had the 1st 2 seats on the right orchestra row O side next to the center aisle. Tickets were almost 180ish a piece. However for the St. James the mezzanine really hangs over so I would say that you can have some good seats and not pay as much.

For Aladdin, I bought tickets that were center orchestra Row P and those were 160ish.

Unfortunately, I don't think you'll find these at TKTS.

You will love Harry Potter. We saw it a few weeks ago.
Mezzaine seats first row, are actually the BEST seats in any theater. You will love the show
We are seeing Frozen tomorrow night and Hamilton the next week. I always wait for the front mezzaine seats.
They are often more expensive than orchestra , but they are the seats we love.
Theaters today offer a great view where ever you sit.So enjoy th show.
I am lucky that i get to go so often, it is a passion of mine.

I got Cursed Child tickets the day they went on sale for Broadway, and it was really complicated. You had to register for a code, then only some people got a code, then you had to use the code during a two-hour window, and you couldn't see a seating chart and choose where you wanted to be, you had to specify the price range and then take it or leave it when seats popped up. If it offered you seats at the expensive end of your price range and you wanted seats at the lower end of your price range, you had to release them and pray that another set of seats would pop up. Perhaps it has changed since then. Our seats were Dress Circle, Row K. There are some cool things which happen in the theater, and we couldn't see them very well (due to where the seats were, not due to being short).

How old is your daughter? Cursed Child is a big time committment - two shows, each of which has an intermission. And I hate to be a "Debbie Downer" or whatever the phrase is, but I found that it moved really slowly because every few minutes they changed the setting and every change of setting required waiting while they changed the scenery.

Would she like Once On This Island, or is the topic too adult for her? You can get front row seats for that, where your feet are literally in the sand. It's theater in the round.

I haven't seen Frozen or Aladdin, so I can't comment on them.

What about Wicked? I didn't care for it, but a lot of people love it. It's been around for awhile, so it might not be as hard to get seats.

I'll post after I see Harry Potter back to back next month. I know we are on the mezzanine section but we are in the 1st row. My wife got these over a year ago and I think between the 2 of us it's was around almost 200 a ticket.

For Frozen, we had the 1st 2 seats on the right orchestra row O side next to the center aisle. Tickets were almost 180ish a piece. However for the St. James the mezzanine really hangs over so I would say that you can have some good seats and not pay as much.

For Aladdin, I bought tickets that were center orchestra Row P and those were 160ish.

Unfortunately, I don't think you'll find these at TKTS.

Thanks so much for all of this wonderful information! I figured those would be the typical prices, so now it's just a matter of deciding what we want to see more than the others. I had wanted to give her tickets to one of them as a Christmas gift, so I may have to secretly ask to give me the order of most to least favorite!

You will love Harry Potter. We saw it a few weeks ago.
Mezzaine seats first row, are actually the BEST seats in any theater. You will love the show
We are seeing Frozen tomorrow night and Hamilton the next week. I always wait for the front mezzaine seats.
They are often more expensive than orchestra , but they are the seats we love.
Theaters today offer a great view where ever you sit.So enjoy th show.
I am lucky that i get to go so often, it is a passion of mine.

I'm so jealous of you! Hamilton is supposed to be coming to Baltimore and as soon as the tickets go on sale I'm going to try to snag whatever I possibly can. My daughter does children's theater, so my love of theater can now be shared with her because she loves it so much.

I got Cursed Child tickets the day they went on sale for Broadway, and it was really complicated. You had to register for a code, then only some people got a code, then you had to use the code during a two-hour window, and you couldn't see a seating chart and choose where you wanted to be, you had to specify the price range and then take it or leave it when seats popped up. If it offered you seats at the expensive end of your price range and you wanted seats at the lower end of your price range, you had to release them and pray that another set of seats would pop up. Perhaps it has changed since then. Our seats were Dress Circle, Row K. There are some cool things which happen in the theater, and we couldn't see them very well (due to where the seats were, not due to being short).

How old is your daughter? Cursed Child is a big time committment - two shows, each of which has an intermission. And I hate to be a "Debbie Downer" or whatever the phrase is, but I found that it moved really slowly because every few minutes they changed the setting and every change of setting required waiting while they changed the scenery.

Would she like Once On This Island, or is the topic too adult for her? You can get front row seats for that, where your feet are literally in the sand. It's theater in the round.

I haven't seen Frozen or Aladdin, so I can't comment on them.

What about Wicked? I didn't care for it, but a lot of people love it. It's been around for awhile, so it might not be as hard to get seats.

My daughter is 9, but she does children's theater and is really good about sitting through set changes and everything. The ticket purchasing process doesn't sound very appealing though. They're about to release more tickets on Sept. 27th, but if they do it that way I may have to skip it. I've actually not heard of Once on the Island yet, but she has seen Mamma Mia and most of that went right over her head. Haha! As for Wicked, she has an interest in it, but it's not at the top of our list. She just performed in Aladdin Jr, so I thought that might be a good one for her to see, but since we're also big Harry Potter fans I thought that might be a good choice instead. Too many shows and not enough money seems to be the biggest problem.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts