The Broadway show thread where we discuss all things Broadway

I have found my people :) :) :)

We have season tickets to Providence Performing Arts Center for the first time, and I'm SO EXCITED.

We just saw Miss Saigon - the new tour has some marked differences from the original, some changes I think added a great deal to the overall show. Other lyric changes...not as much a fan. But the Engineer on the National Tour (Red Concepcion) is worth the price of admission alone - he was incredible.

Our next show is Anastasia in November, I'm really looking forward to it.

On a local level, I'm performing in Shrek the Musical in a week and a half, and prepping for Edwin Drood in the spring!

Loved Miss Siagon!!! Saw it on Broadway and in Boston, I had 3rd row orchestra center for this show. Congrats on Shrek! I use to do community theater but just don't have the time right now. And Anastasia?! I've been wanting to see this. I loved the movie when it came out and knew I had to see it when it came out as a musical. I just might drive down to see it.

Last edited:
Yay for performing! What role are you playing in Shrek? I was in it two years ago and was Fiona’s mom in the opening, and then the guard that leads the fairy tale creatures through the forest when they arrive (talk about a quick change!), then a regular guard the rest of the show. I’m currently playing Sister Lee in “Do Black Patient Leather Shoes Really Reflect Up” Love community theater! Wonder if there are enough of us for a spinoff thread?

Queen Lillian, Wicked Witch and Rat Tapper here! I wasn't going to audition but a friend dragged me along and I'm so glad! I had been out of performing for almost 25 years, then did a musical showcase last fall and Scarlet Pimpernel in the Spring. Hooked again :)

Glad to see the positive feedback on Miss Saigon! I subscribe to Boston's season, so just saw Hamilton, and we don't get Saigon until June.

One of my besties has the Boston season too, she STILL hasn't stopped talking about Hamilton! We have to wait until July for it in Providence, but I know it'll be so worth the wait!

Loved Miss Siagon!!! Saw it on Broadway and in Boston, I had 3rd row orchestra center for this show. Congrats on Shrek! I use to do community theater but just don't have the time right now. And Anastasia?! I've been wanting to see this. I loved the movie when it came out and knew I had to see it when it came out as a musical. I just might drive down to see it.

Thanks! I'm really looking forward to Anastasia, I was a little iffy on the small excerpt I saw the year they did the Macy's Parade, but since then I've seen a few video clips and it does look awesome! Hubby and I are very curious how they will handle Rasputin!

How was Heathers? I loved the off broadway cast. I might have watched the bootleg on youtube a few times....:duck: Sorry you got sick. I do love King and I. Company is a huge favorite of mine.
Heathers was so much fun! Such strong performances. They replaced the song "Blue" with one called "Show Me" which was funny but was kind of disappointed. Blue just cracks me up!

Heathers was so much fun! Such strong performances. They replaced the song "Blue" with one called "Show Me" which was funny but was kind of disappointed. Blue just cracks me up!
I hate to admit how much I enjoy Blue. It cracks DH and I up. I will look into it! Thanks for the review.

Just traded in our tickets to Hello Dolly for tomorrow in exchange for two more tickets to School of Rock next spring. Nice perk of our season ticket package is the ability to swap tickets for other shows when you would like. Works well for us, as we were going to be busy tomorrow anyways and this way, we can take our boys to the show in the spring. :)

I think I have to swap dates on our next show - Les Mis, as we'll be out of town that night as well.

Has anyone ever gone to Broadwaycon? I was wondering if it was worth it? I'm also a little concerned about it being in the middle of January (snow). I live close to the city but it's a pain if it does snow a large amount. My daughter's favorite actor is going to be there and I thought it would be a great Christmas gift.

Has anyone ever gone to Broadwaycon? I was wondering if it was worth it? I'm also a little concerned about it being in the middle of January (snow). I live close to the city but it's a pain if it does snow a large amount. My daughter's favorite actor is going to be there and I thought it would be a great Christmas gift.

Broadwaycon! I have gone every year.

It's hard to say if it's "worth it," because I don't know what your expectations are. It seems like the people who feel a Con wasn't worth it are the people who didn't read the website to understand how the Con works, and thus had unrealistic expectations.

It concerns me if you only want to attend because your daughter's favorite actor has been announced as a special guest. Please be aware that if a particular actor is scheduled to be there, you don't know how much you will be able to see him. The schedule won't be released until much closer to the date of the Con. He might be in one Mainstage panel for one hour, with other actors, and that's it. Or he might be in several smaller panels. Maybe he will be offered a job and will not be able to attend the Con at all. Maybe he will be doing autographs and photos, maybe not. Only a small percentage of the actors do autographs and photos. Make sure you understand how the autographs and photos work, if that's what she wants. They have been doing a digital lottery, so you might get the actor you want, or you might not (unless you get a Gold Pass). People join a Facebook group and trade if they won the lottery but not for the actors they wanted.

The first year we got 35 inches of snow. The Con went on, and it was a blast -- but I was staying in the hotel where the Con was held. I wasn't trying to commute. Another year it was unusually warm. Obviously there's no way to know what the weather will be like.

Broadwaycon! I have gone every year.

It's hard to say if it's "worth it," because I don't know what your expectations are. It seems like the people who feel a Con wasn't worth it are the people who didn't read the website to understand how the Con works, and thus had unrealistic expectations.

It concerns me if you only want to attend because your daughter's favorite actor has been announced as a special guest. Please be aware that if a particular actor is scheduled to be there, you don't know how much you will be able to see him. The schedule won't be released until much closer to the date of the Con. He might be in one Mainstage panel for one hour, with other actors, and that's it. Or he might be in several smaller panels. Maybe he will be offered a job and will not be able to attend the Con at all. Maybe he will be doing autographs and photos, maybe not. Only a small percentage of the actors do autographs and photos. Make sure you understand how the autographs and photos work, if that's what she wants. They have been doing a digital lottery, so you might get the actor you want, or you might not (unless you get a Gold Pass). People join a Facebook group and trade if they won the lottery but not for the actors they wanted.

The first year we got 35 inches of snow. The Con went on, and it was a blast -- but I was staying in the hotel where the Con was held. I wasn't trying to commute. Another year it was unusually warm. Obviously there's no way to know what the weather will be like.
My daughter is familiar with the setup. She is going to Comic Con this weekend. She is a huge broadway fan so I imagine she will enjoy it regardless. Thank you for mentioning that it went on with the snow. If I see snow in the forecast maybe I will grab a hotel room instead of fighting the snow. Thank you!

Some updates from me since my semester in NYC started!

Pretty Woman: Saw it move in weekend, loved it. So much fun. My roommate and I rushed it the day before classes began, we ended up in the front row in the very center. The music was really fun, and the cast was phenomenal.

I had tickets to The Color Purple at PMP last week, but I got very sick that morning, and decided I'd have to miss it. I ended up skipping Broadway Flea Market on Sunday as well. Whomp-whomp :(

Come From Away: I know I'm approximately the last person in the world to see this show, but I saw it for the first time today. I was enchanted. It was such a moving show with such powerful lyrics. If anything, it ran a little slow at some parts, but other than that, I very much enjoyed it.

If I don't see anything until November 1, up next is the Cher Show! My roommate and I have tickets to the first Broadway preview and I am thrilled.

I did BroadwayCon once in 2016 and once in 2017. I enjoyed myself both times, but felt like I enjoyed myself more in 2016. It's not crazy crowded like Broadway Flea Market, and photo/autograph sessions with the actors are included in the cost of your ticket (but tickets to each individual photo/autograph session are done via lottery drawing). All in all, it's a really fun event. There are a lot of actors who walk around that you can say hi to, and it's always fun to just connect with other Broadway fans.

Here’s up next for me:

2018:
Once On This Island x2

2019:
Once On This Island x3
The Bands Visit x1
Anastasia (Tour - Philly) x1
Anastasia (Broadway) x2
Be More Chill x1
Tootsie x1
Frozen x1

Also Disneyland!

Going to see Anastasia tomorrow!!

I had wanted to see Pretty Woman b/c Steve Kazee was in it but he withdrew for family reasons so I wasnt that interested. NIce to hear it was so good.

I did BroadwayCon once in 2016 and once in 2017. I enjoyed myself both times, but felt like I enjoyed myself more in 2016. It's not crazy crowded like Broadway Flea Market, and photo/autograph sessions with the actors are included in the cost of your ticket (but tickets to each individual photo/autograph session are done via lottery drawing). All in all, it's a really fun event. There are a lot of actors who walk around that you can say hi to, and it's always fun to just connect with other Broadway fans.
Great, thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!