The Broadway show thread where we discuss all things Broadway

I was very, very, VERY lucky to have seen the first preview of The Cher Show on Broadway with my friend Austin this past Thursday night!

While it ran for a little long, the music was incredible, the choreography and costumes were stunning, and everyone is so superbly talented. Book is not the best and some scenes run on for a little long while other seemingly important moments weren't developed as well as they should have been. Other than that, we had so much fun. Stephanie J Block, who plays "Star" Cher, gives a Tony-winning performance. Great crowd, great evening of theatre!

Bob Mackie (who both designed the costumes for the show and dresses Cher IRL) was in attendance, and while he couldn't take photographs, he came out to sign playbills at the stage door afterwards-- very sweet of him.

Saw Once On This Island. Love the set and staging/business going on before the actual show starts. Although my BF has a thick West Indian accent, I still had some difficulty understanding some of the dialogue.

I did enjoy that it was 90 minutes without an intermission. Sometimes I get a little uncomfortable in the smaller seats for 2 1/2 hours.

I saw An American in Paris on PBS. I was disappointed. The choreography to me seemed very repetitive. My favorite number was Stairway to Paradise, and that was tap! Looking forward to The Sound of Music this Friday.

We finally saw Cursed Child. Did matinees and evening Part 1 and Part 2 on the same day. It was a long day but the show was very good and the audience were so into it. It's definitely a must especially for any Potter fan.

Last weekend we saw Once On This Island which is a smaller show but it won Best Revival last year and that also was really good. They had 2 for 1 tickets for their 1 year anniversary.

I think we are done for a while, but I'd like to see Anastasia and maybe Beetlejuice next year.

We finally saw Cursed Child. Did matinees and evening Part 1 and Part 2 on the same day. It was a long day but the show was very good and the audience were so into it. It's definitely a must especially for any Potter fan.

I'm finally seeing Cursed Child this weekend! Can't wait! I'm rounding out the rest of the weekend with Waverly Gallery and The Prom. I think it will be a good mix.

I'm finally seeing Cursed Child this weekend! Can't wait! I'm rounding out the rest of the weekend with Waverly Gallery and The Prom. I think it will be a good mix.

Let us know what you think of The Prom. It's on my "maybe" list for the next time I'm in NYC.

Let us know what you think of The Prom. It's on my "maybe" list for the next time I'm in NYC.

I really enjoyed the Prom. There are a lot of broadway "insider" references in the script, but even though I know I missed some of the nods, i enjoyed it. It felt like a show targeted for fans of musical theatre, but could be appreciated on many different levels, just as Bob Martin did with Drowsy Chaperone.

The score is also interesting, as it's split between homages to modern classics vs the newer popish songs for the high school numbers.

And a follow up note -- I got an email this morning officially announcing Moulin Rouge opening at the Hirschfeld next summer!

Yup! Moulin Rouge starts on Broadway the end of June - finally! We're hoping to get to go see it again as we enjoyed it so much when we saw it in Boston.

I am so sad I missed Moulin Rouge when it came through! Going to have to see about a trip to NYC :)

Cannot WAIT for Anastasia next week!

Oh and if there are any local Southeastern MA peeps - our community theater is doing a showcase of modern Broadway songs at the beginning of December - happy to post info if there's interest! It'll be the first time my whole family (myself, hubby and both kids) will be in a show together!

I am so sad I missed Moulin Rouge when it came through! Going to have to see about a trip to NYC :)

Cannot WAIT for Anastasia next week!

Oh and if there are any local Southeastern MA peeps - our community theater is doing a showcase of modern Broadway songs at the beginning of December - happy to post info if there's interest! It'll be the first time my whole family (myself, hubby and both kids) will be in a show together!
Where is it? I may already have tickets to it!
Denise

Just saw this thread after seeing the Moulin Rouge annoucement on Insta. I am soooooo excited! My son and I tried to make it to one of the Boston shows, and it just didn’t work out. Can’t wait, can’t wait, can’t wait!!!! Fingers crossed I can get tickets....

I really enjoyed the Prom. There are a lot of broadway "insider" references in the script, but even though I know I missed some of the nods, i enjoyed it. It felt like a show targeted for fans of musical theatre, but could be appreciated on many different levels, just as Bob Martin did with Drowsy Chaperone.

The score is also interesting, as it's split between homages to modern classics vs the newer popish songs for the high school numbers.

And a follow up note -- I got an email this morning officially announcing Moulin Rouge opening at the Hirschfeld next summer!

Thanks!

What email list are you on that told you about Moulin Rouge?

Thanks!

What email list are you on that told you about Moulin Rouge?
Jumping in here with what I saw today. The Moulin Rouge Broadway Insta and Moulin Rouge FB page both had links annouced today for fan pre-sales. It’s like they know I’m a fan or something. I can’t wait

Jumping in here with what I saw today. The Moulin Rouge Broadway Insta and Moulin Rouge FB page both had links annouced today for fan pre-sales. It’s like they know I’m a fan or something. I can’t wait
Have I mentioned I can’t wait? Lol! Wishing us all luck getting tickets:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts