The buttons have gotten out of control

Monkey Monkey

DIS Veteran
It seems like every guest at DLR wears at least one button. Honorary Citizen, birthday, first visit, just married, anniversary, character meals, and even buttons for nothing at all (I was given a princess button for DD for no reason). I wouldn't be surprised if the next time I go, I see buttons for potty training and first tooth.

I get the whole "celebrate" theme, but I think the buttons are kind of ridiculous and wasteful. Why can't just going to DLR be the celebration?

I only support the "Just Married" "Happy Anniversary" "Happy Birthday" buttons. The rest are a waste. I'm 60/40 on the "First Trip".

I agree the buttons are everywhere. It's nice to get a free souvenir but it's much nicer to have a CM say happy birthday. But not so much when they also say it to the person sitting behind you. It dilutes the effect.

I don't really have an opinion on most of them...but as someone who is taking her kids this summer for the first time, I think the "First Trip" ones are pretty special. Those will find a place in their scrapbooks!

We've had several cast members give DS buttons for no reason. The most recent was a CM who was sweeping the streets and stopped us to give DS a button. Not sure why, I guess she was just being nice. It was one for the grand opening of the DVC. At least it was one we hadn't seen before. lol. Oscar gave my whole family random buttons last summer when we were eating at CC and several of them said !st visit even though we go all the time. And when we stopped in the emporium to get a birthday button for me the CM gave DS a family reunion button and one other one. Not sure what i'm supposed to do with all these buttons. I guess they're trying to spread some magic and that's the only free thing they have to pass out. They should give them stickers or something to hand out to the kids.

We've had several cast members give DS buttons for no reason. The most recent was a CM who was sweeping the streets and stopped us to give DS a button. Not sure why, I guess she was just being nice. It was one for the grand opening of the DVC. At least it was one we hadn't seen before. lol. Oscar gave my whole family random buttons last summer when we were eating at CC and several of them said !st visit even though we go all the time. And when we stopped in the emporium to get a birthday button for me the CM gave DS a family reunion button and one other one. Not sure what i'm supposed to do with all these buttons. I guess they're trying to spread some magic and that's the only free thing they have to pass out. They should give them stickers or something to hand out to the kids.

There are some stickers that they hand out to kids...the "Junior Firefighter" silver foil badge and the "Honorary Street Sweeper" stickers that I found stuck to an ART Bus bench and a Small World boat, respectively, are some of my favorite souvenirs! (Well, of the "non-vintage-or-limited-edition" type of souvenirs :laughing:)

I do like the buttons, though...I don't collect any of the metal pins that most everyone seems to collect/trade, but the buttons are another story...I've got ones that I've had since I was little. And more recent ones. Does anyone know if they have any buttons especially for military? I've never seen any, but would like to surprise my BFF with one if they exist!

There are some stickers that they hand out to kids...the "Junior Firefighter" silver foil badge and the "Honorary Street Sweeper" stickers that I found stuck to an ART Bus bench and a Small World boat, respectively, are some of my favorite souvenirs! (Well, of the "non-vintage-or-limited-edition" type of souvenirs :laughing:)

I guess DS looks more like a button-guy than a sticker-guy because he's never gotten those stickers. lol. We have gotten stickers from DVC people in the parks a couple times though. It's fun to hear about all the different "extras" they have.

I noticed the same thing last May when I was there. I actually commented on the amount of buttons that were floating around the park. Some with no meaning what so ever, just a picture. I really dont have much of an opinion on them. Whatever makes you happy I guess. Although some of my buttons have had meaning

- My first time button
- My first Honorary Citizen Button (Which was the first time I realized how often I have been going to Disneyland)
- Now my mom has her 50th birthday coming up, and that is going to be a big milestone. So we got her a button for that day. So it will mean something to her.

Other then that, I cant say my mom or I will ever wear those buttons again. But it is a nice memory token.

While it's true that it's not as special to be wished a Happy Birthday by CM's if all the other people around you are being wished it too (because they are wearing their buttons), the way I look at it is this -

In this day and age, it is very tough for a lot of people to get to DLR. To us, it may seem like tons and tons of folks are packed in there, but it costs a lot of money no matter how you slice it, even for a one-day trip, and lots of folks simply can't come up with the money to go.

So I am picturing the random family whose father was just laid off from work, or a family who has very little money of any kind, and they have scrimped and saved to be able to go to DLR at all and just afford the very basic stuff (travel, food and a place to stay)...but they know they won't be able to buy souvenirs for the kids. Their kids would probably be thrilled to get a bunch of those buttons - free souvenirs, and those may be the only souvenirs they get (other than the used ticket/Hopper).

Or...the sweet young couple starting a new life together with only pennies in the bank....Or perhaps the sweet elderly couple who has been together for 50 years and is living on their minimal savings...but receiving and wearing a button of some kind at DLR would mean the world to them and brighten their day, even if the button is worn by 5,000 other folks that same day...

You just never know what situations people are in when they come to DLR and how much one of those buttons might mean to them if a CM handed it to them. It may seem like a silly little thing, but it may be the only thing they leave the park with (other than their memories and hopefully some photos).

So it may be button overkill a bit, true, but I think it is a really lovely thing that Disney does to add a little extra magic to anyone's DLR trip and bring a smile to their face...no matter how many buttons they give out.

what is this one?

Maybe I should rephrase it.... You can get those pins if you go to Toon Town Morning Madness, or if you do something nice for another park guest. To me though it kind of symbolizes that I go to Disneyland often and the place is starting to feel like a home base. Its wonderful.

I love the buttons! We have
1st visit for DGD :)
Happy Birthdays for almost everyone
MTTMM Honorary Citizen
and almost all the character meals :wizard:
we have super old ones too and that's what I
love about it they have had buttons for so long :wizard:
new ones are sooo fun :goodvibes

I personally like "flair" as buttons are called in pop-culture so I love getting them. I will get MY birthday button on May 18th and my baby will get her 1st Visit button May 15th! Can't wait! :)

I guess DS looks more like a button-guy than a sticker-guy because he's never gotten those stickers. lol. We have gotten stickers from DVC people in the parks a couple times though. It's fun to hear about all the different "extras" they have.

Here's a pic (albeit a cruddy cellphone pic, as my real camera needs batteries :laughing:) that proves they're not mythological:

stickers.jpg

I've been going to Disneyland fairly regularly since I was a little kid (grew up about 20 min. away; can't wait to move back!!!) & I'd never seen the stickers until a couple of years ago. So maybe they're a new thing?

My DS got the honorary citizen button on our last visit but not for MM, he got it because he was crying about something and a CM was trying to cheer him up. lol

I like the buttons too. We're going to get a Birthday button for my DS in 10 days!

spacemermaid: I've been going since I was a little girl too and I hadn't seen the stickers until recently also. My DS got a firefigher badge sticker. And of course endless DVC stickers.

I agree the buttons are everywhere. It's nice to get a free souvenir but it's much nicer to have a CM say happy birthday. But not so much when they also say it to the person sitting behind you. It dilutes the effect.

I've been to DLR on my b'day and twice on DS's birthday. It doesn't bother us one little tiny bit to hear other people being wished a HB along with us! IN fact, we love it! I got into a great convo with a woman and her teen daughter who were there celebrating her DD's birthday...same birthdate, different year. Our actual birth days were both on the actual Columbus Day holiday, which doesn't happen every year, and last year our b'day fell on the actual holiday, which was really special!

I'm not so silly as to think I'm the only one who arrived on that day, and DS knows the same...so others having their b'days on the same days only enhances our b'days, it doesn't dilute or take away anything. :goodvibes

Some with no meaning what so ever, just a picture.

That doesn't sound like a Disney button then. Can you describe the picture?

Oh, and I'm not into matchy matchy shirts, but DH and DS are in a BIG way (I know, it's opposite). So last visit I made the two of them matchy shirts, then put the same transfer on a small, same color as their shirts, canvas bag, so I matched them but wasn't in a tshirt just like them. I've decided that on future trips where they want to match, I'm going to make buttons, if I don't want more canvas bags. :)

Maybe I should rephrase it.... You can get those pins if you go to Toon Town Morning Madness, or if you do something nice for another park guest. To me though it kind of symbolizes that I go to Disneyland often and the place is starting to feel like a home base. Its wonderful.

FWIW, our TTMM honorary citizens are worlds different from the other HC buttons we have. The TTMM ones are brightly colored with some sort of fun design on them. The normal one is purple and gold. DS has something like 4 of them, as the CMs hand them out like candy.

We also have a 1st visit button, because the Peter Pan CM asked if it was our first time in the park...we said "no, but it's the first time on this ride", and she gave us the buttons. :confused3

The buttons have been around since at least '07; it's not because of the Celebrate theme. And I LOVE getting the character b'fast buttons...just like the leis we got at the Lilo and Stitch restaurant. I mean, for one, it adds to the value of the meal you just paid thirty bucks for...and two, it helps the park b/c it's advertising. :)

I adore the buttons, even if I don't generally wear them. Both DS and I will only wear our b'day buttons on our b'day (or one year I took it off partway through the day because although we were *celebrating* my b'day, it wasn't my actual b'day, and I've always been weird and shy about my b'day anyway), and I couldn't deal with wearing the Happy Anniversary button for our entire trip in '07...DH wore his every day but I left mine at the hotel after about 3 days. :upsidedow That'll get some strange looks, by the way!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter