The Connors

I thought it was good. Last season, before all the controversy, I thought it seemed like they were headed to center the show around Darlene anyway and perhaps Roseanne and Dan would become secondary characters. That plus the convenient opiod storyline introduced last season, makes me wonder if they had planned this all along.

Did anyone see what Roseann tweeted? Her tweet was something like "I AIN'T DEAD B******!" Then later she and her Rabbi tweeted a long explanation about how she felt about killing off her character.

I thought it was good. Last season, before all the controversy, I thought it seemed like they were headed to center the show around Darlene anyway and perhaps Roseanne and Dan would become secondary characters. That plus the convenient opiod storyline introduced last season, makes me wonder if they had planned this all along.

I typed this thought to a friend last week...

I’m not a conspiracy theorist by any means, but, I kind of feel like this was planned. Roseanne tweets her racist comment almost immediately after the last episode of the first season aired. Gets fired. In no time it’s decided they’ll continue without her. She signs away her rights to the material. They write her off the show, by killing her via opioid overdose, which, conveniently, the whole first season easily built up to. I don’t understand the how or why? Seems like Roseanne herself had to be “in on it”. Did she want to reboot, but not be a permanent part of it, just get it started for her friends/costars??? Is it political?? I just don’t know!

ABC’s Roseanne-without-Roseanne spin-off The Conners couldn’t come anywhere close to the blockbuster premiere rating of its predecessor, yet still had a very strong number that led Tuesday night in the ratings.

The debut airing delivered 10.5 million viewers and a 2.3 rating among adults 18-49.

That’s down 55 percent from the premiere of Roseanne last spring, but was on par with Roseanne‘s finale and even managed to edge out NBC’s This Is Us for the night.

When Roseanne returned on ABC earlier last March, the first episode delivered a staggering 18.2 million viewers and a 5.1 rating among adults 18-49 in the overnight Nielsens. The series then fell from that height and its finale concluded with 10.3 million viewers and a 2.4 rating.

ABC did not expect Roseanne premiere-level numbers, of course. Internal industry marketing research suggested audience interest in the spin-off was tracking about half that of viewer interest in Roseanne before its return.

The episode, titled “Keep on Trucking,” confirmed previous reports that Roseanne Conner died of an opioid overdose. Roseanne Barr didn’t much appreciate that plot twist, saying in a statement that the “opioid overdose lent an unnecessary grim and morbid dimension to an otherwise happy family show.”

ABC has had some rough sledding this season. The network understandably axed its top comedy Roseanne due to Barr’s tweets in May but also less understandably canceled Last Man Standing — which Fox picked up and is now using it to easily pummel every other show on Friday night. In the overall ratings so far this fall, ABC has slipped into fourth place behind Fox (and that’s even if you take the sports coverage that boosts ABC’s rivals out of the equation). Among ABC’s other Tuesday premieres was Nathan Fillion’s promising drama The Rookie (5.4 million, 1.0 rating) which came in second to NBC’s New Amsterdam.

Still, The Conners should help matters, at least in the short term. If this was any other new comedy premiere, last night’s numbers would be a total home run. ABC sent out a release Wednesday morning touting The Conners as “as TV’s top new comedy debut this season” — though that “new” should obviously come with air quotes around it. There’s a big question mark moving forward in terms of how many The Conners viewers are merely curious about how Roseanne Barr’s character was killed off and how the family reacts vs. how many are actually interested in sticking with the show. Our critic Kristen Baldwin has actually seen The Conners first two episodes, and says there’s a pretty big mood swing coming next week after this morbid debut — check out her review.

The Conners

I typed this thought to a friend last week...

I’m not a conspiracy theorist by any means, but, I kind of feel like this was planned. Roseanne tweets her racist comment almost immediately after the last episode of the first season aired. Gets fired. In no time it’s decided they’ll continue without her. She signs away her rights to the material. They write her off the show, by killing her via opioid overdose, which, conveniently, the whole first season easily built up to. I don’t understand the how or why? Seems like Roseanne herself had to be “in on it”. Did she want to reboot, but not be a permanent part of it, just get it started for her friends/costars??? Is it political?? I just don’t know!

I'm glad I'm not alone! I don't think people would have tuned in to the reboot like they did last season without Roseanne. Not typically into conspiracies, but this feels like a long con. It makes both perfect sense and no sense at all.

I really like Goodman, Metcalf, and Gilbert, so I think I'll keep tuning in.

I watched it and enjoyed it. I did not find the jokes out of place-for the characters it had been 3 weeks since her death. And I think Jackie said something like they were tired of crying. I get that. And my family would have begun telling jokes, too. It would be part of our healing--the Conner family always made light of even tough situations as they coped.

I thought each character held their own. I wondered if we would see Dan have an alcohol problem this season.

And Mary Steenburgen's character seemed to be strung out-so I get why she looked haggered. Have always enjoyed her and Ted Danson. She's 65 and he's now 70.

I watched, enjoyed it very much. Yes, it’s different without Roseanne but I like the other characters so will continue watching.

I watched it and enjoyed it. I did not find the jokes out of place-for the characters it had been 3 weeks since her death. And I think Jackie said something like they were tired of crying. I get that. And my family would have begun telling jokes, too. It would be part of our healing--the Conner family always made light of even tough situations as they coped.

I thought each character held their own. I wondered if we would see Dan have an alcohol problem this season.

And Mary Steenburgen's character seemed to be strung out-so I get why she looked haggered. Have always enjoyed her and Ted Danson. She's 65 and he's now 70.
Yep, she did say, “I drink myself to sleep every night.” Then Dan asked Darlene to drive her home implying she was drunk then. I just assumed they purposely made her look bad.

I watched it on demand last night just to see how it would handle Roseanne’s absence. I did think that episode was well done. It is not a show I will watch regularly.

We watched it last night too. I felt that it was well done. Rosanne's character is one that had grated on our nerves over the years, so her not being on the show was fine by us. Each person mourns differently and it was nice to see the character interactions in the weeks that followed. How people are trying to move forward, to find meaning, and to fill roles that are left empty.

I also enjoyed Dan's interaction with Mark. Having to confront his own discomfort with Mark's gender identity, and crushing on a boy. This is a relationship that I hope to see more of as it evolves.

I honestly didn't miss Roseanne in the show. Too many other good characters to carry the show. My problem is with the writing and the vast discrepancy between the acting ability of the cast. I think Darlene and her daughter are the most boring part of the show, her acerbic wit falls short as an adult. My favorite part of the show is Becky. She's like Jackie in the first few seasons of the original Roseanne.

I honestly didn't miss Roseanne in the show. Too many other good characters to carry the show. My problem is with the writing and the vast discrepancy between the acting ability of the cast. I think Darlene and her daughter are the most boring part of the show, her acerbic wit falls short as an adult. My favorite part of the show is Becky. She's like Jackie in the first few seasons of the original Roseanne.

I like Becky too! Everyone's saying how she can't act, but I love her character!!

I don't like Harris AT ALL!!

I don't get the thinking that Roseanne intentionally planned to exit her original creation, signing away millions of dollars in the process and simultaneously torching her future career? She could have simply come back for the reboot, kept plans entirely secret and the show could have simply returned with the very same storyline they've gone with this season AND she could have still been making bank and have a wide slate of career options at her disposal if she chose. Seems like a pretty ridiculous conspiracy plan that at the very least an agent, her legal team, someone with an idea of how dollars and cents works, might have suggested not using the nuclear option if it was really a "plan".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter